Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Elite Member

Halo 3 new weapon- The Spiker

http://www.bungie.net/News/TopStory.aspx?cid=9607

Spiker
    Excerpt from long-term, in-field interview with the soldiers of E2-BAG/1/7.
    Type-25 Carbine (Spiker)
    Length (o/a): 81.7 cm (32.17 in.)
    Length (barrel): 25.4 cm (10 in.)
    Weight (empty): 6.4 kg (14.2 lbs)
    Weight (loaded): 7 kg (15.5 lbs)
    Cartridge: Unknown
    Effective range: 40 meters (131 ft)
    Muzzle velocity: 76.2 m/s (250 f/s)
    Magazine capacity: 40 rounds
    Rate of fire: 480 rnds/min
    Unit Replacement Cost: NA
    Description:
    The type-25 carbine is a magazine fed weapon designed for automatic fire. The weapon has two tungsten-alloy bayonet-type attachments.

Remarks from field personell
    Remarks:
    “Even though them spike rifles are really heavy I still wish there was some way to retrofit a full stock onto ‘em.”
    “Recoil isn’t as bad as you might expect, but not because of any sophisticated dampening system – it’s because the damn things weigh so much.”
    “I saw the baby kong go dry so I moved in with my shotty, well that’s the last time I’ll be doing that, huh? Damn cleaver-bayonet-thing went right through the shotty and cut my arm off just above the elbow. Only reason I’m still here is because of, well you know, because of him.”
    “Every action requires exaggerated movement; cycling the bolt, seating a magazine, charging the chamber. Even squeezing the trigger takes quite a bit of effort. And it isn’t all that surprising considering the disparity in size of our two species.”
    “Bravo kilos sure have a thing for sticking blades on their equipment, don’t they? I bet their mess kits’ve got three knives.”
    “The projectiles fired from this weapon seem to be made out of the same material as the spike grenade’s casing. Wounds caused by this weapon are horrifying.”
    “Spike rifles always have a weird sorta burnt hair smell about them. And you know you’re heading towards a firefight where they’re bein’ used if it smells like a barbeque gone wrong.”

This sucker sounds nasty. Fun to use, but nasty. New needler anyone? The needler won't be able to be dual-wielded, and this is, and it's got a mean melee attachment. Dang.

EDIT- They can be seen used on this video-
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=fTGyK0zr6dg
    About 51 seconds in. A little after that, you can see the Halo 1 pistol is back as well. (At least the skin is.)
    Currently playing- PSYCHONAUTS! Great game. Thinking about upgrading to next-gen maybe in 2010, because I only got my Xbox at the end of last year.

Always keep your words soft and mellow, for tomorrow you may have to eat them.

Superior Member
    That gun design looks too blocky...the bayonets would look much better if they weren't as big. Trigger area looks weird, it's too fat and looks impratical.

It also needs to be more conclave.
    !!!!!
    I'm willing to break them into pieces, crush them at my feet. - Hironobu Sakaguchi

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverNight View Post
    That gun design looks too blocky...cool nonetheless I guess.
    Well, I wouldn't imagine that the Brutes are a very sophisticated race, you know?

Hopefully, it's fun to use.
    Currently playing- PSYCHONAUTS! Great game. Thinking about upgrading to next-gen maybe in 2010, because I only got my Xbox at the end of last year.

Superior Member
    My bad, didn't know a monkey would be putting use to this weapon.

But still, it looks impratical, even for a Brute.
    !!!!!
    I'm willing to break them into pieces, crush them at my feet. - Hironobu Sakaguchi

they need chain saws on them

Dedicated Member
    Mmm, yeah very unimpressive looking weapon. Im sure it will be a fun weapon to use... but the model looks amateur ... seriously. You would think that with all this power the 360 has they would push the polygons and textures a bit more...

That aside, it looks like a fun weapon to use.

Master Poster
    So now we have the spike grenade ala Resistance and the spiker with melee attachment ala gears of war... Where has Bungies originality gone?

Superior Member
    Halo 2 had a melee attachment...in the form of a Brute Shot.

The Spiker holds more resemblence to this gun then the gun you're referring to.
    !!!!!

pendinginsanity
    Rofl

HALO 3 IS TEH ROXORS SOXERS!!!1!ONEONETRIPLLEONE!!11!

Superior Member
    The gun seems like it will be great while playing the game, but the graphics on the gun are blocky. Bungie needs to add more detail to the entire game of Halo 3.
    "There is no console war, just kids without enough money"
    PSN ID: Aift | Gamertag: Aift

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aift View Post
    The gun seems like it will be great while playing the game, but the graphics on the gun are blocky. Bungie needs to add more detail to the entire game of Halo 3.
    Well, as all shots so far have been alpha/pre-alpha...

I wouldn't be too worried. If graphics are like this more toward final, I'll be worried.

Knuckles126
    If they took away the ridiculous looking bayonet(s), it might be cool to look at. But lets be real, that weapon sucks...lol

Talk about lack of imagination and design. My cousin could come up with something better than that with his Legos...and he's only 3.

My advice to Bungie: Lose the bayonets..they look ridiculous. Bayonets in your games have always looked ridiculous. You guys sucks at designing bayonets! So, just scrap the entire "omg we need a bayonet!" idea that you've had since Halo 2, and be more original with the weapon design overall. The brute shot was a horrible looking weapon, and one would think that you guys actually learned from that...guess not.

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    this Spiker weapon sounds great.....
    cant waite to play halo 3

Knuckles126
    A little side-by-side comparison to show how mediocre the Spiker, and the artists at Bungie really are...

Hammer Burst:

Spiker:

I don't know about you guys, but I can clearly see who's the better artist here.

At least Epic knows how to design and detail a weapon...perhaps Bungie should give them a call for some hotline hints and tips.

Forum Guru
    Im sure its fun to use, but it looks like a plastic toy. I dont see why they cant give us newer screens.

And IMO they should have one smaller blade instead of two bulky ones that look really impractical.

Knuckles126
    Quote Originally Posted by AlternateReality View Post
    Im sure its fun to use, but it looks like a plastic toy. I dont see why they cant give us newer screens.

And IMO they should have one smaller blade instead of two bulky ones that look really impractical.
    You didn't know? Bungie is owned by Fisher Price...

Seriously though, everything in Halo has always looked like a plastic toy.

A God Amongst Men
    God those spikes look lethal, they should add some more flair to the design, maybe some stronger coloring. BTW The Hammerburst and the Spikers are not that close, in terms of grip design but the rest is different.

PSU Technical Advisor
    ..I don't understand why they show off Halo 3 in raw form. Who are they trying to impress? The idiots of society will say "Halo 3 done look ugly" and even us jaded gamers who are avid fans of the series (like myself) are fairly unimpressed. It seems like (thus far) after Halo(1) the series kinda went down hill...

The Fact the BRUTES of all things are the main antogonist now in the series, is evidence bungie should have re thought their Halo 2 plot. Halo was perfect. Halo 2's campaign SUCKED. its story was horrendous.. I hate the Arbiter... But hey! it has sweet multiplayer *redeeming feature*.

Knuckles126
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Skywalker View Post
    God those spikes look lethal, they should add some more flair to the design, maybe some stronger coloring. BTW The Hammerburst and the Spikers are not that close, in terms of grip design but the rest is different.
    That wasn't the point. My point was to show how ridiculous these guys at Bungie are. They SUCK at weapon design...and it's clearly visible with this 'Spiker' weapon. Where is the originality? Why does it look so boring? Why is there a need for two bulky bayonets?

Come on, if this were any other developer that showed off this weapon, everyone would say it sucks. But, beacause it's Bungie, people aren't as harsh about it. Thankfully, I am one in 6 billion...and I say Bungie's weapons completely suck ass.

Dedicated Member
    LOL knuckles you really have a cruel opinion of bungie, you're always bashing them, but this time I can actually agree.

Also the spiker reminds me of something that would be in crackdown. It really has that art style.

Knuckles126
    Quote Originally Posted by GartMon View Post
    LOL knuckles you really have a cruel opinion of bungie, you're always bashing them, but this time I can actually agree.

Also the spiker reminds me of something that would be in crackdown. It really has that art style.
    Well, the artists at Bungie are horrible, what more can I say? When I talk about the Spiker, I don't mean how it looks graphically...I know that will improve. What I'm talking about is the overall design, lack of depth and originality that this weapon suffers from.

It goes beyond the weapons too. Take a look at the environments, they lack originality and depth. In Halo:CE, there was some really good environments. In Halo 2, none of them were good or worth looking at. In Halo 3, I don't expect that to change. The enemies as well, look ridiculous. Am I the only one who thinks a Brute in Oblivion armor is just plain...well...stupid?

Epic did an amazing thing with Gears of War. They showed that no matter what hardware your working with, you can still achieve some amazing art direction with every level in a game. What I mean is, no environment in Gears of War was ever the same. As you progressed, you always were going from one art direction to another...a change in scenary every time. That right there, makes a game amazing to play in, and it also makes you stop and admire what the artists have created. Props to Epic for doing such a great job with not just graphics, but more importantly, art direction.

Bungie apparently, will never understand what art direction is and how it can truely effect your game. It also seperates the developers who are where they are professionally because of a happy mistake, and the developers who are truely the real deal.

PSU Technical Advisor
    from the screens i've seen of H3, nothing leaps out at me and screams "Xbox360 is 10+ times more powerful then the original Xbox!!!!!" ... I mean... Halo 2 (For the Xbox) was amazing. the fact the Xbox could run Doom 3 was AMAZING....

But whats this? Crap for textures? BLOCKY? I mean sure guys this is pre alpha, post alpha, maybe even early beta stages, but one thing they should have done RIGHT by now, is 1. Not show off this stuff till its post Beta, OR Spiff the pictures (like the Spiker one) up so it represents the "Final product".... Or Lord help us this IS the final product...
    But i find that incredibly hard to believe.

and Yea, Knuckles I love halo, but i'll admit i was dissappointed with Halo 2. and thus far, im extremely underwhelmed with Halo 3... When they stole the "Backlash grenade (Shield grenade) and the hedgedog (spike grenade)" from resistance I nearly threw a fit. I had always praised bungie for its original art and weapon style. But it seems like its been on a decline..... Stealing other franchise's weapons (a PS3 AAA FPS no less), smearing the story beyond recognition... lets throw in ANOTHER ring, even though ALL our halo 2 posters imply the fight will be on earth... Lets make your favorite enemies not only capable of speaking english, but now, its a CIVIL WAR!!

<...oh..*cough* and now the bad guys are the brutes *cough*>.... Dissapointing.

Apprentice
    um its still in testing beta hasnt even started........when it comes out.........it will be amazing at least we have screens and stuff to look at while ps3 fans are being lied to about SUPER KILLZONE all they have is that trailer everyone wet their pants about
    blacksite area 51, bioshock, mass effect , the darkness, overlord , halo 3, forza 2, dirt,call of duty 4, CANT WAIT

PSU Technical Advisor
    I think you'll be surprised at Killzone. Positions and statements like that are what really irritate me with MS.

1. they(and you) automatically assume Halo 3 will be better then Killzone PS3. So why not flaunt it at every showing? Add LIVE footage all the time? even IF its pre beta and looks ungodly. This could turn out to be immensly untrue. If killzone released with on par or better graphics, vastly better physics, and the <rumored> 64 player online, whilst Halo 3 will (as has been talked about over at Bungie) retain 16 player multiplayer Max, the tables would turn immediatly. Killzone is the only true game im extremely excited about these days, I'm very much looking forward to halo, but all these "Great" pictures and vids have kind of numbed me to it.

PS, if you look at the "Halo 3" pic of the Spartan holding the Spartan Laser (First person, not the one of him shooting the warthog from that cliff ledge)
    you'll notice 2 things i found interesting
    1. is that all the textures were identical to Halo 2
    2. goes with 1., if you look at the spartans gauntlet, there are 5 circular indentations. the "New Mjolnir armor" (whichever variant it may be in H3) has only 3 circular indentations on the gauntlet, and the gauntlet shape itself is in more of a "wedge" shape. not the Halo 2 "Box" gauntlet. ..any theories on this? A placeholder model from H2?

2. MS has hijacked this franchise to their own ends. Its no longer about "making the best game possible" its about getting an IP out there with "Halo" stamped on it to make tons of money. (and i know the ultimate goal of all businesses is to earn money in general, but MS has issues with this.) Example: Outsourcing Halo to Ensemble. It was Bungie's baby, but since they're owned by MS, the franchise goes wherever MS decides.

pendinginsanity
    Quote Originally Posted by super_noob View Post
    um its still in testing beta hasnt even started........when it comes out.........it will be amazing at least we have screens and stuff to look at while ps3 fans are being lied to about SUPER KILLZONE all they have is that trailer everyone wet their pants about
    That's the most redicules sheet I've read in some while.

While I bet both of us can agree with the fact that Killzone (the one for PS2) did suffer from bugs and hardware limitations it did at least have a story and a great art design behind it, now with the PS3 and the deep pockets of Sony we'll see already extremely talented developers be given the tools they need to make a real halo killer, and lol it's not going to be hard this time around seeing these screenshots and weapon renders...

Thread Information