Page 804 of 975 FirstFirst ... 794804814 ... LastLast
Results 20,076 to 20,100 of 24352

Thread: NFL Thread

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    Jonathan Vilma got punished severly for the bounty program and will appeal it. He's going to be gone for a year.

Do you guys agree with the players, that Goodell is being too harsh?
    Utter bull$#@! is what it is. Let's not forgot this guy was being coached. Do you think he was going to go against his coaches word? Nope! His participation doesn't warrant a full season. Not to mention does Goddell really have the power to make this call? This is an on and off the field issue that he also has no hard evidence against him! This is going to turn into a battle with the PA and NFL. I can't wait until this $#@! of a commissioner is out of there. Problem is the owners love him.

I say 4-6 games for Vilma
    3-5 for Hargrove
    and 2 for Smith and Fujita.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Not only do the owners love him, they gave him a contract extension.

He's going to be there for a long time.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    I agree with the reasoning of the NFL - a bounty program cannot exist without willing participants (the players). Therefore, the punishment completely, and utterly, is fair.

Can it be shortened? I believe so. But I wouldn't budge on anything than less than 14 games. I'd at least allow him to play twice.

I'm probably one of the first in line for toughness in the league - being a Ravens fan, our teams in the past have been on the wrong end of calls based on "tough" hits on whiny QBs (Peyton, Tom, Matt Ryan).

But this bounty system is borderline thuggery.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Forum Guru
    I just read that Suggs tore his Achilles playing basketball. Big blow for the Ravens...my sympathies to you Ravens fans.

Sent from my HTC Rezound on Tapatalk 2

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    I agree with the reasoning of the NFL - a bounty program cannot exist without willing participants (the players). Therefore, the punishment completely, and utterly, is fair.

Can it be shortened? I believe so. But I wouldn't budge on anything than less than 14 games. I'd at least allow him to play twice.

I'm probably one of the first in line for toughness in the league - being a Ravens fan, our teams in the past have been on the wrong end of calls based on "tough" hits on whiny QBs (Peyton, Tom, Matt Ryan).

But this bounty system is borderline thuggery.
    Thing about it is I don't disagree with the fact that they should be suspended. They rightfully should be but there is no reason a player should get the same suspension that the head coach gets. That is just ridiculous. I say 8 games at most for Vilma. This is simply a case of Goddell flexing his muscle say "Look what I can do." This has been the theme of his entire time as the commish.

Bounty program aside, you think if a team knows a guy has a bum knee they aren't going to be gunning for that? These guys are pretty much taught to hit a guy as hard as they can from day one. I would also like to know the amount of unsportsmanlike conduct that these guys have had over the past couple years. I very seriously doubt that they are much above average. I'm just saying without any kind of documentation or hard evidence linking their involvement why is Vilma being singled out. There was reports that said he threw money in a pool but is this fact?

I'm with you. These guys need to reprimanded for their participation but a whole season is ridiculous.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    Thing about it is I don't disagree with the fact that they should be suspended. They rightfully should be but there is no reason a player should get the same suspension that the head coach gets. That is just ridiculous. I say 8 games at most for Vilma. This is simply a case of Goddell flexing his muscle say "Look what I can do." This has been the theme of his entire time as the commish.

Bounty program aside, you think if a team knows a guy has a bum knee they aren't going to be gunning for that? These guys are pretty much taught to hit a guy as hard as they can from day one. I would also like to know the amount of unsportsmanlike conduct that these guys have had over the past couple years. I very seriously doubt that they are much above average. I'm just saying without any kind of documentation or hard evidence linking their involvement why is Vilma being singled out. There was reports that said he threw money in a pool but is this fact?

I'm with you. These guys need to reprimanded for their participation but a whole season is ridiculous.
    Yeah maybe a whole season is harsh for a player. Though i don't know the extent of Vilma's involvement apart from being pretty much the 2IC for Gregg Williams.

Yeah I think that's pretty much any sport. But I think if you're that injured player you are aware of the risks anyway - so it's on you. Defenders or other players shouldn't have to make an excuse or skirt around your injury.

But that is far removed from bounty programs, where the aim is to injure.

I can see where the typical meathead NFL fan can confuse that though.

Speaking of meathead fans, Dave Dameshek ( I still don't get why they let fanboys like this guy write on NFL and other sports networks) is already trolling Raven nation in light of the Suggs news.

I effing hate that guys face.

It's a significant blow; but these 'analysts' sometimes really can't wait but to favour an NFL "darling team" (see Pats, Packers, Giants, Steelers, Cowboys).

I'd love nothing more than a team like the Ravens, Seahawks or Cardinals (not so well favoured in the league) to win and to win by dynasties.
    Last edited by Admartian; 05-03-2012 at 23:40.

7. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Veteran
    I actually agree with the suspensions, though I don't always agree with Roger Gooddell.

We're talking about players intentionally going out to hurt other players, going for an ACL tear and etc. ACL tears are not normal injuries, they're not only very painful but career threatening. Yes, those players and any players who participate in a bounty program should be suspended. Heck, Vilma AND the other players are lucky they didn't make a case to ban them from the NFL for life.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Yeah maybe a whole season is harsh for a player. Though i don't know the extent of Vilma's involvement apart from being pretty much the 2IC for Gregg Williams.

Yeah I think that's pretty much any sport. But I think if you're that injured player you are aware of the risks anyway - so it's on you. Defenders or other players shouldn't have to make an excuse or skirt around your injury.

But that is far removed from bounty programs, where the aim is to injure.

I can see where the typical meathead NFL fan can confuse that though.

Speaking of meathead fans, Dave Dameshek ( I still don't get why they let fanboys like this guy write on NFL and other sports networks) is already trolling Raven nation in light of the Suggs news.

I effing hate that guys face.

It's a significant blow; but these 'analysts' sometimes really can't wait but to favour an NFL "darling team" (see Pats, Packers, Giants, Steelers, Cowboys).

I'd love nothing more than a team like the Ravens, Seahawks or Cardinals (not so well favoured in the league) to win and to win by dynasties
    Couldn't agree with you more there. On the point of aiming to injury. No not every player is out to hurt another player in any possible way. But there are many players that will take aim at an injured appendage to slow them up or tweak the injury. Not saying end their career which bounty programs are essentially trying to do. Especially in a pile up. It's a dirty sport and not all play with the utmost integrity sadly. Just like guys who constantly launch. Which I'm glad the nfl has started to crack down on hard.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    InkedOne78
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Damn you Suggs!!

Veteran
    They're saying Seau's suicide may have been caused by concussions.

You know what's mind boggling to me? The NFL will not upgrade helmets and equipment. If they would do that, then there would be no more concussions and no more suing the league.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    They're saying Seau's suicide may have been caused by concussions.

You know what's mind boggling to me? The NFL will not upgrade helmets and equipment. If they would do that, then there would be no more concussions and no more suing the league.

As a massive rugby fan and american football fan alike, I think the main cause for these things is the culture and nature of the hits in the NFL.

Pads or no pads, you look at how they hit (i.e. shoulder charges, launching, etc) lends to more concussions. If you watch a rugby game and compare proper tackling technique, you will see the difference.

Yes, people still get CRUNCHED in rugby. It is still a violent sport. But I think there are two main diffrences.

1. Technique: Not so much the lack of, but the willingness or rather the fact that there is a lack of enforcement of this. I'm not sure what percentage of defensive players in the NFL know how to tackle properly 1 on 1 (proper head position, use of arms and leverage corretly). Which is weird because I take it a lot have wrestling backgrounds.

But a lot seem to have the mentality of "laying someone out" rather than securing the ball carrier to the ground.

This can still be achieved in a'hard' way, but technique will go a long way in reducing this.

2: Equipment: In my opinion, the presence of equipment like pads and helmets, are more of a danger than protection.

Look at this way; if you ahve the inherent lack of care for technique and the reliance on violent hits rather than securing the player, these equipment turn into a weapon more than protection.

The fact that some 250+ pound dude who can just barrel into you with reckless abandon - with no care of using force + technique (just force - not to mention the added force and weight of his pads and the material of his helmet) is not going to bode well,in the long run, for either of you.

Let me put it this way - in the 100+ years of rugby, as much as there have been concussions, most (I would not be surprised if this was around 99%) rugby players from 40-60+ years ago are still highly functioning individuals without any serious trauma.

Again, the games are as violent as each other more or less. But the lack of 'battering-ram' equipment and use of technique is what sets them apart - and what ultimately makes rugby 'safer'.

Just my .02 cents.

13. Likes Sleepy likes this post
    Veteran
    The Saints STILL have not signed Drew Brees. It looks like they'll be looking at a QB in the 2013 draft.

No wonder players like the Jets Revis and Giants Osi ask for contracts whenever they feel like it. If you play your heart out like Brees did, some teams will leave you out to dry.

15. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Veteran
    The 2011 New York Giants revealed their Super Bowl rings and they are nice.

17. Likes PS4freak likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Damn! That is sweet.

19. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Veteran
    You know what? If the giants win another ring, the franchise would have 5 Lombardi trophies and would be tied with the Cowboys and 49ers for the second most. The Steelers have the most with six.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Iron Maiden3DSBaby ChocoboDr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturama
    You know what? If the giants win another ring, the franchise would have 5 Lombardi trophies and would be tied with the Cowboys and 49ers for the second most. The Steelers have the most with six.
    The Packers are right there too.
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RaY_210 View Post
    The Packers are right there too.
    Sure are, I had completely forgotten about the Packers.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    akhi216
    My Browns look like they can win at least 8 games this season.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by akhi216 View Post

I agree, I am also interested in who wins the QB battle.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Weeden takes it. McCoy is too jittery in the pocket. Unless Weeden completely wees his pants.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by akhi216 View Post

I would believe they are as well. They are nearing in on a solid team if Weeden starts imo. I think he has what it takes to be a solid QB like Dalton was his first year.

Veteran
    Well, the NFLPA and the NFL are at it again. This time it's about the salary cap of 2010, and the Cowboys and Redskins.

Veteran
    Oh my, I can't believe it! The Miami Dolphins are going to be on Hard Knocks!

29. Likes Sleepy likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    InkedOne78
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Oh my, I can't believe it! The Miami Dolphins are going to be on Hard Knocks!

That's going to be hard to watch.

Dedicated Member
    ^ You mad? ^

32. Likes PS4freak likes this post

Thread Information