Latest PSU headlines:

Page 963 of 971 FirstFirst ... 953963 ... LastLast
Results 24,051 to 24,075 of 24253

Thread: NFL Thread

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Goodell is going to try his damnest to get them to like it lol.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Veteran
    American Football is hugely popular over here, from youth leagues, to high school, to college, to professional. It is a complicated game for anyone that isn't familiar with the sport (hell, even for people that know the game) but it is arguably (maybe even factually) the most popular sport in the United States. Fans go crazy about their team.

I agree with the constant breaks. That is annoying. I wish they would let them play more and lighten up on the flags.

I was lucky to see a couple of soccer games when vacationing - one in Italy and one in Costa Rica. I thought NFL fans were crazy. There were a couple of times that I thought people were going to kill each other (to be fair - that happens in the NFL too). It was a lot of fun watching the soccer games even though I didn't know the teams. The energy was awesome.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    Goodell is going to try his damnest to get them to like it lol.
    I think it is insane what the NFL is trying to do. I know it's just business but damn.

These games overseas are just for testing the market. The NFL now has a kids cartoon on Saturday morning, and why the hell are they trying to interest women. I don't want my woman watching football with me, that's my time.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Pong View Post
    American Football is hugely popular over here, from youth leagues, to high school, to college, to professional. It is a complicated game for anyone that isn't familiar with the sport (hell, even for people that know the game) but it is arguably (maybe even factually) the most popular sport in the United States. Fans go crazy about their team.

I agree with the constant breaks. That is annoying. I wish they would let them play more and lighten up on the flags.

I was lucky to see a couple of soccer games when vacationing - one in Italy and one in Costa Rica. I thought NFL fans were crazy. There were a couple of times that I thought people were going to kill each other (to be fair - that happens in the NFL too). It was a lot of fun watching the soccer games even though I didn't know the teams. The energy was awesome.
    I wouldn't necessarily put the stops to the sport itself necessarily though. I think that's 90% tv people, 10% greedy Goodell/NFL.

We can do with less TV stuff - but that ain't happening with America.

I'm happy with breaks in between quarters or something, but I'd rather watch the 'stops' and have either silence or the commentators just screwing around talking about teams and players. That's more entertaining that frustratingly waiting for ads in between kickoffs and special TV timeouts.

That $#@! don't fly with me!

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Admartian View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily put the stops to the sport itself necessarily though. I think that's 90% tv people, 10% greedy Goodell/NFL.

We can do with less TV stuff - but that ain't happening with America.

I'm happy with breaks in between quarters or something, but I'd rather watch the 'stops' and have either silence or the commentators just screwing around talking about teams and players. That's more entertaining that frustratingly waiting for ads in between kickoffs and special TV timeouts.

That $#@! don't fly with me!
    Yeah, no kidding. It's even worse when you see the same erectile dysfunction ads over and over and over. After a game, I begin to think that I may need to call my doctor just to check.

EDIT - for other parts of the world that don't see these:
    Last edited by Pong; 01-21-2014 at 21:32.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    Jordie-SCO-
    I thought i'd find the breaks annoying when i first started watching NFL, but tbh i don't mind them. Been watching it for 3/4 years and i gotta say i never thought i'd love watching it as much as i do.

Took a bit to learn the rules and and stuff but i think im nearly there, working on understanding when and why to use certain plays and that sorta stuff now :L

Hopefully get down to Wembley with my mates or maybe even take a trip across to the US :P

7. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Forum Elder
    http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=10345089

I guess this is the treatment some athletes get.

ESPNNFLSPORTS

ScoresStandingsNewsMore

Josh Brent to serve 180 days*Associated Press | January 24, 2014

DALLAS -- Former*Dallas Cowboys*playerJosh Brent*was sentenced Friday to 180 days in jail and 10 years of probation for a drunken car crash that killed his friend and teammate, Jerry Brown.

Brent was convicted Wednesday of intoxication manslaughter for the December 2012 crash on a suburban Dallas highway that killed Brown, who was a passenger in Brent's car. Brent could have been sentenced to up to 20 years in prison.

AP Photo/Tony GutierrezJosh Brent, left, was sentenced to 180 days in jail and 10 years of probation for a December 2012 wreck that killed teammate and friend Jerry Brown.

Brent, a defensive tackle, and Brown, a linebacker on the practice squad, also played together at Illinois. They were headed home from a night of partying when Brent lost control of his Mercedes and crashed. Officers who arrived on scene saw Brent trying to pull Brown's body from the wreckage.

Blood tests pegged Brent's blood alcohol content at 0.18 percent, which is more than twice the state's legal limit of 0.08 percent. Prosecutors told jurors that the 320-pound Brent had as many as 17 drinks on the night of the crash.

One of Brent's attorneys, George Milner, argued that Brent wasn't drunk and was only "guilty of being stupid behind the wheel of a car." He contended that Brent couldn't have had nearly as much to drink as prosecutors said and that the police blood tests were flawed.

Brent's attorneys pushed their case for probation Thursday, calling a Dallas County official who testified that the county currently has 34 intoxication manslaughter cases that resulted in probation.

Kevin Brooks, one of Brent's attorneys, said the one-time defensive tackle would be easy to monitor because of "who he is and who he was." Brent retired from football last year.

Brown's mother, Stacey Jackson, also has publicly forgiven Brent. When asked Thursday if she holds Brent responsible for her son's death, she said: "He's still responsible, but you can't go on in life holding a grudge. We all make mistakes."

Prosecutors pushed for prison time for Brent, who went to trial only weeks after another Texas intoxication manslaughter case sparked widespread public outrage. In that case, a defense expert argued that the defendant, a 17-year-old male who caused a drunken crash that killed four people, deserved leniency because his parents coddled him into a sense of irresponsibility -- a condition the expert termed "affluenza." The teen wasn't given prison time.

On Thursday, prosecutor Rebecca Dodds emphasized Brent's 2009 drunken driving arrest in Illinois to press the state's argument that he deserves prison time. In that case, he served 30 days in jail after pleading guilty to a misdemeanor charge.

"Probation doesn't work for Josh Brent," Dodds told the jury during closing statements in the punishment phase.

Brent played in all 12 games for the Cowboys in 2012 before the crash. Brown made the practice squad that season.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by chrisw26308; 01-24-2014 at 20:14.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Veteran
    Wow that's crazy , he got off way too easy.

Forum Elder
    Yes he did. I'd assume that jerry brown family had some pull with there feelings.

That's barely a slap on the wrist though, he might even play ball again. A player named Dwayne Goodrich killed 2 people in a dui case and served 10 years I think.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Yeah that's a joke sentence.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Injustice.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Injustice.
    That's what happens when you have money.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Wow! The Pro Bowl was actually fun to watch! Great ending to. Watched it from beginning to end. Never done that. Players were actually trying. Love the new format. I was skeptical at first but it was a lot of fun seeing teammates hit each other.

Veteran
    First time I haven't watch it in years and they finally start hitting each other? figures..

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Yeah it was an exciting game at the end. Lots of defensive pressure. It was fun to watch. I think a lot of that credit goes to Deion. He drove up the intensity for his team and the other team followed realizing the other team was giving a lot of effort. If they would only change it back to the week after the super bowl then it would be great.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    I actually thought this game was good! Obviously, there isn't going to be the intensity in the game like a regular season game. And tbh, anyone expecting that is being naive and a fool.

But yeah, they actually tied and I like the changes made. I can see the potential in having other HoF guys coach (i.e. Ray Ray or Jo Montana or something).

Good format and good fun.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Yeah I like the idea of the Hall.of famers being the heads. The matchup possibilities are endless. Can't believe I'm saying this but I'm looking forward to next year's pro bowl.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Yeah I like the idea of the Hall.of famers being the heads. The matchup possibilities are endless. Can't believe I'm saying this but I'm looking forward to next year's pro bowl.
    Lol yep that's exactly what I was thinking. The change of possession at each quarter is great too. Some of those teammate vs teammate hits and matchups were a good watch too.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Lol yep that's exactly what I was thinking. The change of possession at each quarter is great too. Some of those teammate vs teammate hits and matchups were a good watch too.
    I really like the rule of if a yard is.not gained the clock stops. All these rules were very cool and honestly could work for the real game. Lol

21. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    I really like the rule of if a yard is.not gained the clock stops. All these rules were very cool and honestly could work for the real game. Lol
    Maybe not for a real game . That would mean an advantage to offensive tams like yours, and takes away from defensive teams like Car, SF, or SEA.

I like the diversity of teams in the NFl.

But for the probowl ,it works since everyone is a beast anyway.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Maybe not for a real game . That would mean an advantage to offensive tams like yours, and takes away from defensive teams like Car, SF, or SEA.

I like the diversity of teams in the NFl.

But for the probowl ,it works since everyone is a beast anyway.
    Yeah I know I was kind of joking. It works wonders for the pro bowl though. Props to the people who coffee up with the rules. Makes the game so much more interesting. I was pulling for team rice. Glad to see them get the 2 point conversion with the bowling ball!

Did anyone not post anything about Gooddell getting rid of the extra point?

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittens 101 View Post
    Did anyone not post anything about Gooddell getting rid of the extra point?
    Don't think it's been confirmed has it?

Don't think it's been confirmed has it?
    That's the thing, he's trying to get rid of it. The chances of it happening are pretty good.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittens 101 View Post
    That's the thing, he's trying to get rid of it. The chances of it happening are pretty good.
    I could do with or without it.

The proposed changes for it seem pretty reasonable to me. As in, if someone wants to go for the 2PTs and fails, they still only get just 6.

My only contention is that they're saying it's 'piss easy' or something to that effect.

Thread Information