Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 5
    Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by PS3 rocks View Post
    For all the people that think Japan is a bad idea, well i have this to say. Japan is a much better location then you might think, the city of Tokyo is huge the biggest on the planet if i'm not mistaken. There is certainly a gang presence in Japan too, plus all the Japanese cars. I remember everyone thought The fast and the furious: Tokyo drift was going to suck, but guess what, it turned out to be one of the best of the series.

All you need to do to make it appealing is have a American playing the main character. I would welcome a GTA set in Japan. As for the New York idea, i'm pretty sure that GTA3 was set in New York. I'm sick of American cities, i want something more original.
    amen brother, amen. but the yakuza, triads, and tongs are all in japan, i also prefir the japanese cars to the americans. it would be sweet to light up a street with gunfire in japan when there is a thousand people walking, also there could be a silly mission including a robot.
    If the game were in a different city i would say either beijing or mexico city

Dedicated Member
    It was released now!!...damn i feel sorry for those guys...
    N personally...i'd prefer if they have lyk 2 different stories for the 360 and ps3...but same city...i'd really like dat....a hero in 1 verison and a villain in another...n 2 know the whole story u will ve 2 play d whole game

wat do u guys reckon??

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by J_bone View Post
    so u guys would not want to walk around a brightly lit big city? also the tokyo underground scene is HOT! right now with kill bill, tokyo drift, and the triads. i could totally see running some opium cartel for a drugged out samurai. [...]
    Kill Bill and Tokyo Drift are movies. Fictional movies with no truthful base.
    The triads are from Hong Kong and the Northern Territories (originally they were from the mainland).
    Opium conflicts were also with the Chinese.
    Chinese characteristics come from China.
    China is not Japan.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Galls View Post
    Can I quote that in my sig, because that has to be the best piece of sarcasm I have ever read, I mean there is no one someone can actually believe that, ohhh I am laughing my ass of as I speak, good one man, good one.
    HA! That was pretty good eh? yeah i don't care if u put that in ur sig, i want some points for it tho
    Sony Bravia 46" XBR2
    Sony Playstation 3 500GB
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Apprentice

Considering GTA is a streaming game, Blu-ray should be an advantage to them. If the 360 is the main dev platform, we will probably get a stripped down version.
    Practice makes perfect, but noone is perfect so why practice.

Elite Member
    I remember everyone thought The fast and the furious: Tokyo drift was going to suck, but guess what, it turned out to be one of the best of the series..
    Umm...wasn't TD one of the worst movies ever? I'm not completely sure because I've never heard of anyone who has actually seen it, but I have heard it was so bad it actually made 2 fast 2 furious seem like a masterpiece of film making.

Apprentice
    Reguardless of where it is going to be located, I can not agree to the statement that the 360 is the development platform. REFLEX and myself have discussed this a lot and he brought up the point, that the PS3's version had been in design for quite a while when MS had announced that they were also getting GTA4. That was E3 06' and MS had JUST signed the license and contracts to get the game on the 360 a week or 2 prior to that E3. The PS3 version had already been in devlopment for well over a year. Engine and everything were catored to PS3 specific design. If anything, I believe the 360 version might have a later release since they had to start work over a year after development started. Otherwise they will be cutting corners to get the game ready for launch. And to top that off, as stated in a prior ps3land.com news article (just prior to chaning into PSU), the PS3 will be getting downloadable new islands accompanied with new missions, the 360 version will be only recieving new missions. Since the update from ps3land to becoming PSU, I am not sure if the article was removed, but if questioned for proof of this, I will try and see if a mod still has the article. I believe those statements rule out the possability of it being developed with 360 as the base platform.

There are 2 teams, both working to optimise it for both systems. They are entirely different pieces of hardware and through all of Rockstar's history, they haven't skimped out on Sony in the past. Just the same, Xbox saw some content we didn't in the past, such as being able to play music off your HDD for the older GTA's that got released later on the xbox. My point being that both systems will have to be developed different. Back then they developed GTA for xbox knowing they had a HDD to work with and used it as such. Now they are given the RSX and Cell, as well as a HDD and BD's. I doubt they will just write off all that potential, especially with the history they have working with Sony. But if anyone has a counter-arguement I would like to know your thoughts.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J_bone View Post
    amen brother, amen. but the yakuza, triads, and tongs are all in japan, i also prefir the japanese cars to the americans. it would be sweet to light up a street with gunfire in japan when there is a thousand people walking, also there could be a silly mission including a robot.
    If the game were in a different city i would say either beijing or mexico city
    Cool idea dude, a robot mission it would be a funny side mission for Japan. One thing I hope is in the game are pets, like people walking there dogs. Rampage kill 50 dog walkers at the park hahahahahha.

Superior Member
    I remember everyone thought The fast and the furious: Tokyo drift was going to suck, but guess what, it turned out to be one of the best of the series.
    Thats becuase the series is truly and sickeningly awful.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by akiraburn View Post
    Reguardless of where it is going to be located, I can not agree to the statement that the 360 is the development platform. REFLEX and myself have discussed this a lot and he brought up the point, that the PS3's version had been in design for quite a while when MS had announced that they were also getting GTA4. That was E3 06' and MS had JUST signed the license and contracts to get the game on the 360 a week or 2 prior to that E3. The PS3 version had already been in devlopment for well over a year. Engine and everything were catored to PS3 specific design. If anything, I believe the 360 version might have a later release since they had to start work over a year after development started. Otherwise they will be cutting corners to get the game ready for launch. And to top that off, as stated in a prior ps3land.com news article (just prior to chaning into PSU), the PS3 will be getting downloadable new islands accompanied with new missions, the 360 version will be only recieving new missions. Since the update from ps3land to becoming PSU, I am not sure if the article was removed, but if questioned for proof of this, I will try and see if a mod still has the article. I believe those statements rule out the possability of it being developed with 360 as the base platform.

There are 2 teams, both working to optimise it for both systems. They are entirely different pieces of hardware and through all of Rockstar's history, they haven't skimped out on Sony in the past. Just the same, Xbox saw some content we didn't in the past, such as being able to play music off your HDD for the older GTA's that got released later on the xbox. My point being that both systems will have to be developed different. Back then they developed GTA for xbox knowing they had a HDD to work with and used it as such. Now they are given the RSX and Cell, as well as a HDD and BD's. I doubt they will just write off all that potential, especially with the history they have working with Sony. But if anyone has a counter-arguement I would like to know your thoughts.
    The whole downloadable island thing was pure and utter speculation that has since been turned into truth. The fact of the matter is there is very little solid evidence about anything in the game.
    The rest of your points though I totally agree with and are very probably close to how things are working between the two platforms. There is just so much utter bull**it being posted on this forum at the moment by people getting far to over excited by something they no nothing about.

There is simply no way R* will compromise on this, there is far to much to loose. It wouldn't surprise me if GTAIV is the largest, in terms of budget and man power, next gen game currently in production. Don't doubt for a second they will be breaking technological barriers with how its written and how it works between the two consoles. I still can't believe people are still posting drivel like 'the 360 version will probably be a slimmed down version of the game' or 'if only it were a PS3 exclusive then they could make it 50GB in size and have 15 cities etc' its just simply nonsense.

Both consoles have the power and set up for the game to be suitably huge, via downloadable content and utterly amazing in terms of AI, physics and graphics.

And lastly whoever said GTA was all about mayhem, cars, weapons and girls seems to have utterly missed the point of the game. GTA at its heart has always been about a satirical take on Western culture thats what sets it apart from the likes of Saints Row and other free roaming so called sand box games. Its that satirical take which also mean it could never work in a place like Tokyo or Columbia or Moscow or whatever else non Western location occasionally gets put forward as the next location.

People think San Andreas defines GTA as a game but I always though Vice City did, the take on 80's culture was far better than SA's take on 90's culture. And on top of that SA brought the series the screamingly naff 'Gangsa' image it desperately needs to shake off.
    Thats another reason I think it'll be set in London, it needs a new, more sophisticated backdrop.

Elite Member
    i really hope they are using two teams to develop the game.

Apprentice
    Mobias I couldn't agree more. When SA was released I was completely turned off by the non-sensable thugish appearence and gameplay. As many of the editors on PSU stated in their GTA4 wishlist, SA simply cut all the wondeful and colorful comedy that the GTA series has been infamous for, and replaced it with a serious ghetto overtone. VC was definetly the best in my opinion, for a load of reasons. Whether it was the large selection of music, or the hilarious antics of VCPR and KCHAT, or just the outgoing and outragious characters, it was almost all done for the sake of comedy, and most of that game could have anyone laughing their asses off. As you said, the 80's theme just felt right. With the touch-ups they did to improve on the areas they didn't like about GTA3, (jumping out of moving cars/motorcycles, better models, more mini-games, a more intuitive storyline, etc...) it really has felt like that was Rockstar's best work (besides Bully which I've heard wonderful things about). But back to the point, I agree London or Chicago makes sense. I lived in Chicago for a while, and I learned a lot of history while there. Definetly a very cool mobster scene that takes place there in the past. Imagining all the different missions and the blackmail that entails everything from vendettas through baseball scandals. That would be cool. But London is definetly not an area to be discluded as well.

But anyway, agreed, there is no way that one team is developing both systems entire work and that they scrapped all the work from the year(s) before MS had the agreement signed just so they would have to re-design the game on the 360, only to have to redesign it just to work on the PS3. It doesn't make sense, and I guarentee it is not true. Here's to dispelling another terrible rumor before it get's out of hand.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by designit123 View Post
    Dude why bring that crap in here.............. If you're going to post racist dribble, don't post at all..... grow up
    Comment back when you have a sense of humor... Thanks!

And you tell me to grow up....
    How is that racist when that do indeed look alike? please explain.

On topic, my comment still holds truth.

Apprentice
    gta 4 for 360 in Japan? you must be kidding me.. why would japanese buy a 360 to begin with? im not trying to hate or nothing but.. we all know what japanese like... ps3 should still remain the main platform..

Thread Information