Page 2 of 260 FirstFirst ... 212 ... LastLast
    Supreme Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by LexusIS350 View Post
    even with my pc the animations are all slow, and the work unit counter barely moves...if you check out the PS3, its like my PC x5.

as long as it gives you internet access, and you can write papers, thats all that matters. I do a lot of graphic design work, as well as gaming so I need a beefy rig, and a huge monitor.

Thats why this folding@home thing was designed to be a collaborative effort. As one single PC you won't do much, but group millions of them together and you can get a lot more done.
    And with a PS3 it there is more proccessing power. Hooray

Super Elite
    Ill happily sign up to the team, I've already sent Lionel a pm.

Been folding for about a year on my PC, got 36 proteins done so far. The PS3 ill get on March should really help this number.

Cant wait to join you all, and see you in Home.

Sounds pretty cool im going to sign up in a bit (browsing through ps3 right now), im hoping this update will be avaible at around midnight,anyone know the typical time updates are up? I just need to know due to the fact im going on vacation that day leaving that morning. Debating on downloading it and then leaving it running while im gone but i worry what could happen if i left it on for 8 days straight doing that. Kinda sucks going to be away from ps3 for 8-10 days but vacation should be fun.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucid View Post
    Sounds pretty cool im going to sign up in a bit (browsing through ps3 right now), im hoping this update will be avaible at around midnight,anyone know the typical time updates are up? I just need to know due to the fact im going on vacation that day leaving that morning. Debating on downloading it and then leaving it running while im gone but i worry what could happen if i left it on for 8 days straight doing that. Kinda sucks going to be away from ps3 for 8-10 days but vacation should be fun.
    Glad to have another on the team . One guy on the forums says that he has had his PS3 on for 3 months and no problems. I don't know what kind of environment he has it in (I'm in Buffalo so all I really need to do is open a window and BAM - cooling solution ). I doubt anything bad would happen, and you always have your warranty. The only negative I see is electricity.
    60GB PS3 on 11/17/06
    40GB PS3 on 11/17/07
    120GB PS3 Slim 10/1/09

Forum Elder

What is this folding at home thing?

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by PS3fan15 View Post
    What is this folding at home thing?
    It's awesome IMO - please see the following link for more information:
    http://research.scea.com/2006-09-fol...ome/index.html
    60GB PS3 on 11/17/06
    40GB PS3 on 11/17/07
    120GB PS3 Slim 10/1/09

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Hutz View Post
    Glad to have another on the team . One guy on the forums says that he has had his PS3 on for 3 months and no problems. I don't know what kind of environment he has it in (I'm in Buffalo so all I really need to do is open a window and BAM - cooling solution ). I doubt anything bad would happen, and you always have your warranty. The only negative I see is electricity.
    So keeping it on for that long wouldnt void the warrenty?Also its in my basment which stays in the 70s which should be good for it. I might think about keeping it on if the updates on in time.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucid View Post
    So keeping it on for that long wouldnt void the warrenty?Also its in my basment which stays in the 70s which should be good for it. I might think about keeping it on if the updates on in time.
    Nope, it won't void the warranty. Unless you crack open the case/damage the PS3 physically etc., the warranty won't be voided. You can leave it on/use it as much as you want for the first year (the warranty is 1 year for those that don't know)..

70's in your basement- can you say heat wave? The upstairs of my house is 68 with the heat on I can only imagine what my basement must be. You can't beat Buffalo weather - I love this city (and I'm not being sarcastic either).
    60GB PS3 on 11/17/06
    40GB PS3 on 11/17/07
    120GB PS3 Slim 10/1/09

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Hutz View Post
    Nope, it won't void the warranty. Unless you crack open the case/damage the PS3 physically etc., the warranty won't be voided. You can leave it on/use it as much as you want for the first year (the warranty is 1 year for those that don't know)..

70's in your basement- can you say heat wave? The upstairs of my house is 68 with the heat on I can only imagine what my basement must be. You can't beat Buffalo weather - I love this city (and I'm not being sarcastic either).
    I live in st louis....we say if you dont like the weather wait till tommorow the weather changes here drastically like it could be nice one day then snowing the next day crazy stuff. well its 70s with my vents open and stuff so it warms it up some it gets down to 65 when there closed off sometimes colder.

I want to be on the team.

Apprentice
    sounds very interesting, sign me up as well!!!

Dedicated Member
    Sign me up, too.

I'm interested in this thing as well and doing it as a team (and winning ) will make it just more fun.

Forum Elder
    Thanks, I got you guys down. So far, Zoibie is the only one listed on the team page - at least we know that it works. My personal stats have me as part of the team, but I'm not yet listed under the team page. Perhaps I have to complete a work unit first or it just takes some time. Anyway, if you have entered your name on the PS3Forums team (for your computer at this point only obviously) I wouldn't get discouraged - it'll probably update soon.
    60GB PS3 on 11/17/06
    40GB PS3 on 11/17/07
    120GB PS3 Slim 10/1/09

I just downloaded it on 2 of my computers so its running on 2 of em right now ill have it running on my laptop once i get it back from repair one of the hinges broken.

BAMitUp
    I tend to leave my ps3 on a lot! I hope I can contribute

Sign me up ¿por favor?

Thanks A Lot,
    BAM

Super Elite

I'm interested. I left you a P.M. and my PSN name is MikaMo33. If there is anything else I need to do or you need to know just tell me, thanks!
    *Own PS3 (60gb) Launch Day
    *Username = MikaMo33
    *R:FOM, COD3/COD4, RR7,NHL 2k7, Motor Storm, Oblivion, GTA IV, Assassin's Creed, UT3, Orange Box
    *Own Wii: Zelda, Red Steel, Super Mario Galaxy, Guitar Hero III

Dedicated Member
    how exactly do you add that number could you explain it to me my psn id is ammar

Forum Elder
    Hey everyone. As for adding the number in order to be a part of the team, this will happen once the application is available on the PS3. Once it is installed, there will be an option to enter the team number - 54376. Entering this number will automatically place you in the PS3Forums team. Exactly how to do this is still uncertain as the application has not been released. When it is (by the end of this month, and most likely included as the 1.6 update), I will post a step-by-step guide on how to enter the number in your PS3.

For those of you that are more ambitious, you can sign up your computer right now by downloading the application for your COMPUTER here:
    http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html

When you install the the program it will ask you for your team number (if you have one). In the box, enter 54376 and you're computer is set! I imagine that a similar set-up will be used for the PS3.
    60GB PS3 on 11/17/06
    40GB PS3 on 11/17/07
    120GB PS3 Slim 10/1/09

Industry Insider
    There is no need to sign up...when you install the client program, it will ask if you want to be apart of a team. If so just type in the number provided above, which is 54376

Breaking Beta Builds Since 83

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by LexusIS350 View Post
    There is no need to sign up...when you install the client program, it will ask if you want to be apart of a team. If so just type in the number provided above, which is 54376
    Exactly. I edited my first post to acknowledge this fact. The only real unknown is exactly when it will ask you to enter the number. I feel that Sony will make it fairly easy to find this - I'm even betting that they will blatantly pop it up on the screen when you first run the program. Nonetheless, I will post a fool-proof guide to ensure that no one misses where to enter it. And on top of that, I;m sure Sony has made it possible to join a team even if you did not enter the number in the initial setup. I will find out how to do this and post this as well.

In a video that I watched by a Sony rep, he said that giving a sense of community is one of their main goals in the project. Teams are certainly a large part to that community.
    60GB PS3 on 11/17/06
    40GB PS3 on 11/17/07
    120GB PS3 Slim 10/1/09

Elite Member
    can't wait to start crunching!

Can we get this stickied by any chance?

Dedicated Member
    i still don't understand why our logo has a wired controller when the ps3 is wireless... drives me nuts (i know i'm anal).

i'll make sure to sign up when i download the update.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by themann4200 View Post
    i still don't understand why our logo has a wired controller when the ps3 is wireless... drives me nuts (i know i'm anal).

i'll make sure to sign up when i download the update.
    lol - that sounds like a request to design a new logo? jk Anyway, thanks for signing up - I'll add you to the list.
    60GB PS3 on 11/17/06
    40GB PS3 on 11/17/07
    120GB PS3 Slim 10/1/09

Elite Guru
    Joined and crunching already.

Got a Sempron 3100+ overclocked to 2.2Ghz running on this now.

Later tonight my Mac mini G4 1.25Ghz will join in, it's actually faster than the Sempron because it's much better at real world floating point
    performance.

The Ps3 will join in in about 2 to 3 weeks.

Working on simple little logo if you want it in your signature.

Elite Member
    Yes, I think it would be awesome if we got a personalized logo and sig bar, that is, if you want to

Thread Information