Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Dedicated Member

South Africa's 10,000 PS3s nearly sold out

Runaway sales of new PS3 beat all expectations
    April 1, 2007

By NTEBO MMOPE

Johannesburg - Consumers should not expect price cuts on the Sony PlayStation 3 (PS3) gaming console soon, especially after the console almost sold out all units at the first weekend of the launch, said Ster Kinekor games chief executive David Hadassin.

A source from Ster Kinekor said about 10 000 units were shipped in for the launch last Friday.

"There are about one or two retailers still with 40 to 50 left, which are expected to sell by end of this week, as each store is selling over 40 consoles a day,"
    the source said.

Hadassin said 2 million units were supplied globally and were selling at a retail price of about R6 300 with a 60 gigabyte hard drive, built-in wireless and a Blu-ray DVD player for high-definition television systems.

"The Blu-ray disc storage capacity was 77 times more than the traditional CD and six times more than a normal DVD," Hadassin said.

The console could compute data 35 times more than Sony PlayStation 2.

Sony said a 20 gigabyte model would follow later in the year. This would depend on demand.

David Hirsch, the merchandise director of Incredible Connection, said the company did not receive enough stock and sold more units than expected.

"We sold at least 80 percent of our received stock since the launch," said Hirsch.

Hadassin said the stock would be shipped in weekly starting from this week in batches of thousands to meet the demand.

However, the source said the shipment normally took six to eight weeks to be delivered in from warehouses around the world.
    Link

I wonder if this weeks new shipment was dispatched six to eight weeks ago, or if South Africa will now have up to two months to wait for new stocks of PS3s to arrive, hopefully it's the former.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by konangrit View Post
    I wonder if this weeks new shipment was dispatched six to eight weeks ago, or if South Africa will now have up to two months to wait for new stocks of PS3s to arrive, hopefully it's the former.
    really? when im on folding@home i can see one dot in south africa lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    sig and avatar made by spacecataz - folding@home Team: 54376
    PSN: NINJAFLAME / EVOFLAME XBL: MEGAJIMZ

Master Poster
    That's cool. 10k units for such a big part of the world (and rich) is too little it seems.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NINJAFLAME View Post
    really? when im on folding@home i can see one dot in south africa lol
    wait for it to hit night time, South Africa is the only nation on the continent which is close to being first world... however, thats excluding the native population, the majority of it, which are desperate to get into South Africa,

Dedicated Member
    April Fools!

(word limitation rule again).

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alyxm View Post
    wait for it to hit night time, South Africa is the only nation on the continent which is close to being first world... however, thats excluding the native population, the majority of it, which are desperate to get into South Africa,
    im gonna be on folding all day/night so i'll look out for it ive always wanted to vist south africa mind
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dedicated Member
    South Africa is a real poor country. You have large metro areas like Johannesburg, Cape Town, and even Durban, but the rest is poor. So many slums and shantytowns. Amazing that that many PS3's were sold there (or so reported...many large numbers have been out recently, so I question this).

Superior Member
    i still can't get why an xbox360 fanboy is hanging out in the ps3 section. that area too boring for you??

anyway, this is great news. ps3 is selling well everywhere. now sony, please please please release more of your first party games to our shiny new black console. i'm tired of fragging and being fragged all the time in resistance...NOT...just give us more!

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by XxScarfacexX View Post
    South Africa is a real poor country. You have large metro areas like Johannesburg, Cape Town, and even Durban, but the rest is poor. So many slums and shantytowns. Amazing that that many PS3's were sold there (or so reported...many large numbers have been out recently, so I question this).
    dude, please back up your statement. if you can't back it up, seriously, it just shows how ignorant you are!!!!! i teach 16 year olds as a part time job and your statement makes me think there are actually dumb 16 year olds out there.

By UN classification South Africa is a middle-income country with an abundant supply of resources, well-developed financial, legal, communications, energy, and transport sectors, a stock exchange (the JSE Securities Exchange), that ranks among the top twenty in the world, and a modern infrastructure supporting an efficient distribution of goods to major urban centres throughout the region. South Africa's per capita GDP, corrected for purchasing power parity, positions the country as one of the fifty wealthiest in the world.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_africa#Economy
    Please be considerate that what was said will offend the fans and the community so it has been removed. = Uncool

Superior Member

yeah thats why i was shocked at first
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dedicated Member
    Huh? If I was going to play an April fools joke, I'd think of a better one than "10K PS3s sold in South Africa". It's not really that surprising, or unbelievable, there are maybe 5M relatively rich white South Africans, an increasing number of well off middle class black South Africans, and a not insignificant population of Asians who could all afford a PS3.

Geez, i actually thought south africa is a rich country. i was wrong.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    saigon1914
    See I look at the whole article and not part of the article, did any one notice that this guy said:
    Hadassin said 2 million units were supplied globally and were selling at a retail price of about R6 300 with a 60 gigabyte hard drive, built-in wireless and a Blu-ray DVD player for high-definition television systems.
    So this is good newsthis means they reached there 6mil before the end of the fiscal year

Dedicated Member
    Yes, I assumed they would as Sony said they still expected to. They can't make misleading forecasts to shareholders.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NINJAFLAME View Post
    im gonna be on folding all day/night so i'll look out for it ive always wanted to vist south africa mind
    whats really amazing it really is the day/night cycle in real, real time.

Elite Member
    Have you been to Africa? Its as I said, nearly firsrt world, the amount of citys are, the poor go around the streets begging, unfortunately as I said, its first world due to the white man.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieaus View Post
    Geez, i actually thought south africa is a rich country. i was wrong.
    Euhmmm most of the diamonds in this world comes from South-africa...You have a lot of rich european people living there...I happen to had a girl friend (she is a nice coctail of European flavor and African flavor) and her father owned a company that was big in parts of tractors and other equipments).
    She inherited a few million dollars.....

S-Afrika also exports wine and other products....but the money is controlled by less then 10% of the population.

"Marvel Universe" in 2012 after The FirstAvenger Movie
    (THQ)!

Veteran
    You should post a link to make it legit.

I grew up in South Africa, in Bellville, a suburb of Cape Town. While it isn't as poor as say India it's a long way from England or America. I have to agree that the poverty rate there is huge, you only have to drive around a few miles from Cape Town before you spot a shanty town. Now when I grew up there our family was standard middle-class, if I were to compare that with our life here in England I'd say the standard of living is much higher. Where people here can easily get a PS3, yes it's expensive but not unatainable for the middle-classes wheras in South Africa the PS3 can alsmost be seen as a luxury item. It was exactly like that with the PS1 and the PS2 when they first came out.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Evils View Post
    You should post a link to make it legit.
    Oops, my bad thought I did, it's up now anyway.

Veteran
    Oops, my bad thought I did, it's up now anyway.
    Ok now I can officially say... OWNAGE!!!!

bmeyer
    I grew up in South Africa. Now 39. Be careful of making statements about the population, you can easily make a statement that will unleash a political debate of proportions that will make the other thread wars look like thanksgiving messages.

BTW - there is not 5 million whites left in the country - around 3.5 now. Many already emigrated (fled due to BEE, crime etc) to Australia, NZ UK, US, Canada etc. There are most probably as many illegal Zimbabweans as there is whites in the country.

Great country. Braaivleis, boerewors, pap, biltong and lots of sunshine to go with the cricket and rugby - when the politicians don't meddle too much.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmeyer View Post

BTW - there is not 5 million whites left in the country - around 3.5 now. Many already emigrated (fled due to BEE, crime etc) to Australia, NZ UK, US, Canada etc. There are most probably as many illegal Zimbabweans as there is whites in the country.
    Thanks, I was just going by my memory, anyway 3.5M + middle class from other segments of the population is plenty big enough to support 10,000 PS3 sales.

Apprentice
    I live in SA and i have a PS3. When i was phoning around every single place said all thier stock was pre-ordered. South Africa has minority of rich people(REALLY RICH!!!) and those people can get a PS3 and they will. Plus Xbox 360 suck balls and $#@!.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SA dude View Post
    I live in SA and i have a PS3. When i was phoning around every single place said all thier stock was pre-ordered. South Africa has minority of rich people(REALLY RICH!!!) and those people can get a PS3 and they will. Plus Xbox 360 suck balls and $#@!.

Are you the one dot in F@H that we see in the whole of Africa?

Superior Member
    i dont care if that April fools or real

But if that number are real, thats impressive number for country like South Africa

Donating for me is always welcoming . . ., please donate me

Thread Information