Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    -Alex-

Walmart to decide format war?

So did any of you see this post on Engadget?

http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/20/t...er-on-the-way/

I can see this being very very influential on the format war, I work in a electronics store and the most thing that influences people the most before purchasing is price, they dont really care if its not as good as the thing that is twice the cost... $299 is cheap and I know that technically there are more Blu Ray players out there due to the PS3 but when you think that most were not bought just to play movies its a big difference. 2 Million people who bought a HD DVD player just for films are going to buy more films than the average PS3 owner.

I'm worried.

Edit: http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/0..._dvd_play.html

Sheds a little more light on the situation, they are not due to ship until 2008, thats a fair ammount of time for BR to get a significant lead, also hopefully BR players will come down by then. Interestingly walmart only payed $150 for each player, now that is cheap!

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    It's time for the BR-A to get their crap straight. This is a very bold move by WalMart

Elite Member
    Well the PS3 is a gaming machine, I've watched one movie on it..Talledega Nights..that's only cause it came with it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sig/Avatar created by: ajrobin (thanks for all your hard work)

Apprentice
    I read the article and thought to myself (quote): "OH NO!"
    Pardon me: I suffer from premature articulation.

1stGenGamer
    Wow, I had no idea the much-anticipated/feared Chinese HD-DVD players were coming to market so soon. Doesn't surprise me that Walmart has the clout to do it, just surprising as people were just talking about the new Toshiba $400 player and how that is supposed to be so cheap.

I also can't believe the number the article is talking about - 2 million HD-DVD players. I think so far, HD-DVD has just sold 700,000 players in the States so this number would dwarf that.

Probably Walmart is getting an amazing price per unit and will make bucketloads of cash on this. I wonder why and how they got interested in the HD formats and in particular, HD-DVD.

While it has often been said that HD-DVD hardware and software should be cheaper to manufacture due to the legacy technology that can be utilized from existing DVD plants, I had no idea it could come this low so quickly.

I wonder how cheaply BD players can be manufactured now having to include the BD blue laser diode?

Apprentice

Read the update to the article:

"Update: Pull back the reigns HD DVD fanboys, Akihabara now says that they've made a "huge mistake" with their translation: the original source called it "藍光 HD DVD and 藍光 means Blu-RAY." In other words, Blu-ray HD DVD. Word to the wise: since both formats use blue lasers, it's best to wait for an English press release before either camp celebrates."

Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
    Read the update to the article:

"Update: Pull back the reigns HD DVD fanboys, Akihabara now says that they've made a "huge mistake" with their translation: the original source called it "藍光 HD DVD and 藍光 means Blu-RAY." In other words, Blu-ray HD DVD. Word to the wise: since both formats use blue lasers, it's best to wait for an English press release before either camp celebrates."
    Darn, you beat me to it!
    All I have to say is, ha ha ha ha ha.

Superior Member

Yeah, the original post needs to be updated. Read the artical again.

Link to the source article
    Before you talk about the differences between the PS3's and the 360's RAM and the way ports are handled, read these.

So you want to learn about multi-threading - Post #7
    So you want to learn about multi-threading - Post #14

Master Poster
    What's stupid is the noobs at engagenet leave the title of the webpage the same... most people don't read the article, they just see the title and believe it.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Seraphus-Y
    LOL, if the update is true... wow.
    But it shows that with this format war, still everything is possible. To be honest, the original post had me a bit worried. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with my PS3 and the Bluray functionality, but I'd hate to have the 'loosing' format.
    I remember when my parents had one of their first VCR, Vid2000, we know how that ended. I saved up for a DCC-tape deck, guess what happened. Even my Iomega Zip drive became obsolete because of CD-R.

Bah, technology and format wars suck...

Forum Elder
    For which ever format this player comes out for, I $299 will be too cheap to last more that 2 years. I don't trust off brand products from Wal-Mart, especially the electronics.

Superior Member

Well..

I hate to break this to you guys, but you can get a Toshiba for $350 (some times as low as $330)... The MSRP is $400, but usually MSRP is higher than what you can get in some places.. Its only a matter of time before a sub $300 HD-DVD player hits the market..

Super Elite
    Wait a minute, we are getting all excited about something that will cost $299 ... in 2008 and comparing that price with a product that is more expensive today? Reality check people.

Anyway, look at it this way: cheap players will arrive for both formats, they use a similar blue laser mechanism right?

"Winners Don't Do Fanboyism"
    Wii # 3403 5616 4484 2777
    Nihongo dekimasu ka?

Mr. Ten-A-Key!
    Items User name style
    Blah Wal-mat is in such hot water right now its not even funny.

Superior Member

Actually, I just read the report... Walmart is paying $50 for the blue-laser assembly (the expensive part) of the device. The rest of the device can be had for under $50. Add shipping costs in there, and you are looking at something that is costing Walmart around $110-$125 dollars. Even at a 50% profit, Walmart can sell this stuff for $200.

I'd be looking at $250 and under... Probably closer to $200.

This is really the first mass market production for either blue laser technology. Neither player has been geared to mass volume. This is for 2 million standalone players (to start), with the option of walmart to buy an additional 4 million. To this date there is less than 200 thousand standalone HD players. This is the first new of gearing an HD standalone player to the mass market. If blu-ray wants to compete, they will need to ramp up production for mass market as well, and get the price down. This could mean cheaper prices for everyone.

The big thing to watch here is that if the blu-ray camp doesn't counter with a player that is within $50-$75 dollars, it will be a massive blow. At $250 and below you start having a device that is suitable for the mass market. Either camp can't allow the other to enter into this market with too much of a head start... if that does happen to be the case, the damage may be irreparable.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StruggleWithin View Post
    Well the PS3 is a gaming machine, I've watched one movie on it..Talledega Nights..that's only cause it came with it.

I totally agree. I haven't even watched mine yet. Days before i got it, i watched the dvd of it. It was an ok movie but i have really no need to watch it again.

I've stated it a few times already................. HYBRID PLAYERS will take over. Why be forced to decide which format to buy? Why not have the best of both worlds? Yeah some of the purists will talk about blu ray disks are 1080p, but 1080p sets are expensive. Television doesnt even broadcast in 1080p and wont for a long long time, and the only thing really pushing 1080p is the ps3.
    Opinions are like Hobos, they all stink.

Dedicated Member

Update: Pull back the reigns HD DVD fanboys, Akihabara now says that they've made a "huge mistake" with their translation: the original source called it "藍光 HD DVD and 藍光 means Blu-RAY." In other words, Blu-ray HD DVD. Huh? Word to the wise: since both formats use blue lasers, it's best to wait for an English press release before either camp celebrates.
    They aren't entirely sure as to what the news really is.
    "Knowledge is power"
    My Blog

Superior Member

the translation is blue laser HD-DVD

Fire the space harpoons!
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Everybody! Strip your HD players and check the exact colour of the lasers by staring directly at it. Report back.

​aka Sparc

Entropy isn't what it used be

Superior Member
    hmmm...... that's a possibility and when the ps3 came out.. i went to walmart to grab some games and i saw stacks of 360s just out on the shelves.. i was like.. WOW.. mass production.

Apprentice
    its not HD-DVD...its blu ray...read d other posts...da translation is der...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    live life with GOD
    PS3: 60GB
    Games: RFOM, NBA2k7, Warhawk, HS, MotorStorm
    Looking Forward to:FFXIII&VS13,nextKH,LBP,HOME,MetalGear

Apprentice
    I use my PS3 almost exclusively as a Blu-Ray player and have been trying to convince others around me to get a Blu-Ray Player if they buy a HDTV set. Most of my friends are waiting to see who wins before buying anything. I personally can not see Blu-Ray failing It has twice as many commercials and disk. (at least I see more of them in my area then for HD-DVD)

Elite Member
    Yea they did say it was blu-ray. I can't believe sony might actually make a standard this time around..poor beta-max..I too am waiting till the war is over although I don't buy DVDs anymore either..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sig/Avatar created by: ajrobin (thanks for all your hard work)

Master Poster
    I don't think Walmart exist here in Europe though and not in Japan either so it will be fine.

Superior Member

It always amazes me how far people will go to believe something that is extremely improbable just because they don't want to believe its true. Here is the article. HD DVD is capitalized because it represents the name of a specific technology, and this was written in English just like Walmart. There is absolutely no confusion. People just find this so anti-Sony that they want to make things up so that their world seems more peachy.

Unfortunately, that is not realistic. Here is reality:

Babelfish translation - (note: HD DVD did NOT need to be translated)

The Taiwan electron science and technology industry approaches the world once again 扣關! In the lucky Yan electron company the branch factory finishes at the same time which begins using, also the foreign publication researches and develops the manufacture by the people "blue light H D D V D" machine the core official birth. This company Chairman Deng Hungchi indicated that, after high analysis "blue light H D D V D" machine the core researches and develops successfully, this year immediately receives the American WALMART two million order forms, expected the end of next year the total output value may arrive dollar 101 hundred million. In the lucky Yan electron company the branch factory is having been through repeatedly a year preparing for construction, yesterday morning held finishes begins using the ceremony, first supervised party politics important person and so on Chair Qian Fu Mr. and Mrs. attended this grand meeting. Chairman Deng Hungchi begins using in the ceremony in the new factory, also foreign publication new product "blue light H D D V D" machine core, but this also is first high analysis blue light H D D V D which voluntarily researches and develops by the people. Deng Hungchi releases the advantage multi- news to point out that, at present this blue light H D D V D machine core with Japanese T D the K cooperation, will be responsible by the mainland Great Wall to produce, therefore is born after the product obtains the American WALMART two million order forms immediately, expected the end of this year, the output value may amount to hundred million Yuan Dollar, if again will add on the next year pre- 估值, the output value then on looked three hundred million Yuan Dollar, will be equal to the dollar 101 hundred million Yuan. Also therefore the lucky Yan stock distributes in this July 12, in next year March cabinet. Deng Hungchi also mentioned, blue light H D D V D machine core for the high capacity, Gao Huachih, the high analysis new field of vision, may clearly let the image, the picture be more gorgeous. Its superiority is easier and present D V D disc maintains the compatibility, also may continue to use existing D V D disc the production equipment, is advantageous for expands the disc and the objective lens distance, does not need the disc card chest and so on, largely reduces from existing D needs V D transition the cost which to H D D V D, causes the small dish piece production merchant transforms by D V D to H D D V D when to have becomes the instinct 夠 to fall to is lowest. In addition, H D D V D small dish piece record capacity although smaller, but guards against blows, the antifouling ability good, does not need the card chest, therefore the production system regulation is easier also the cost is lower.
    Note that it can continue using the DVD production equipment.. its HD-DVD, no doubts about it.

Thread Information