Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

PS3 folders and subfolders.

I understand that, currently, the PS3 does not allow us to create folders or subfolders. I am wondering if anyone knows of a workaround using memory sticks, SD memory, etc.

Please let me know if there is a solution.
    For "The Fightin' 69th" clan tryouts, email thefightin69th@gmail.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Master Guru
    I also wouldn't mind knowing, but as of now I haven't heard of anything like that!

boogiemann78
    I am not sure what you need folders for like pics or something I have more than one folder under my pics icon in the XMB.
    like three I think.
    Is that what your talking about
    Also have two under music icon

They even look like little folders

Sorry if this is not what you are talking about

EDIT: BTW whats up CY your feeling better today I hope

Master Poster
    3rd this.

Also, i think everybody should pressure Sony into giving us folder creation! (PSP too!)
    It sucks having to go through loads of files to find that one file right at the end.
    I have no signature.
    No, really, i don't. You're just imagining this.

Apprentice
    I'm talking about the MUSIC, VIDEO, and PHOTOS sections' lack of subfolder creation options.

Yeah, folders and playlist creation is a must on both PSP and PS3.

I heard the PSP does playlists but I haven't taken the time to figure it out. Involves the PC somehow I think. If anyone knows that solution I would be grateful too.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

boogiemann78
    Well I also have a PSP and I Know that I made folders on it.
    But yeah it involves doing it on the pc I can give you a walk through on it if you like
    But it will have to be later today.
    I'm at work right now but I can do it when I get home if you like

Also as I said I have sub folders on the PS3 in the music and photo main folders
    I can figure out how I did that when I get home also
    However I have not had any vids on it so no sub folders
    I'll look into that also

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by boogiemann78 View Post
    I am not sure what you need folders for like pics or something I have more than one folder under my pics icon in the XMB.
    like three I think.
    Is that what your talking about
    Also have two under music icon

They even look like little folders

Sorry if this is not what you are talking about

EDIT: BTW whats up CY your feeling better today I hope
    Yeah I am doing ok, I am way less anxious and nervous... plus I fixed everything that needed to be fixed...

boogiemann78
    Well thats good to hear
    Glad to have you back to normal again

mastershake86
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunnter View Post
    3rd this.

Also, i think everybody should pressure Sony into giving us folder creation! (PSP too!)
    It sucks having to go through loads of files to find that one file right at the end.
    Yeah I agree with the sizes of the HD's you can put that is a lot of content to not have these subfolder, but to answer the origional question i use an SD card, but it all of the video must be directly in the VIDEO folder as far as I know.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    SomaXD
    Items PhotoShopPhotoshopAssassins Creed EzioKillzone 3Guerrilla GamesNaughty DogRaidenNoctisiPhone BlackVitaDeath NoteFinal Fantasy VII
    Quote Originally Posted by mastershake86 View Post
    Yeah I agree with the sizes of the HD's you can put that is a lot of content to not have these subfolder, but to answer the origional question i use an SD card, but it all of the video must be directly in the VIDEO folder as far as I know.
    also agreed, i would like to sort my anime in their own folders(so i dont have to scroll through 100's of different anime... AND i would like for video to play to the next video on the list without stopping (like how audio keeps playing to the next song)
    Vanik Tetsu'ya
    PS4 500GB//PS3 MGS4 80GB//PS3 120GB Slim//360 250GB Slim//360 4GB Slim w/Kinect//Black Wii 4.3u softmod//PS Vita w/32gb card

Superior Member

ive got loads of family guy episodes on my pc "about 60" in mp4 format for the psp and they are in their own folder but the other day i put the folder on my 4 gig psp memory stick and put it in the ps3 and copyed it all over and it didnt put the famliy guy folder seperate but instead put them all in with the other vids on my ps3 hdd which is a bit of a pain like someone else said.

steve
    psn id fumper so go on add me. it makes sence

BulletMagnet
    Quote Originally Posted by fumper View Post
    ive got loads of family guy episodes on my pc "about 60" in mp4 format for the psp and they are in their own folder but the other day i put the folder on my 4 gig psp memory stick and put it in the ps3 and copyed it all over and it didnt put the famliy guy folder seperate but instead put them all in with the other vids on my ps3 hdd which is a bit of a pain like someone else said.

steve

ehhh, the "square" button lets you group content? Anyone tried that? Just a thought...

Quote Originally Posted by BulletMagnet View Post
    ehhh, the "square" button lets you group content? Anyone tried that? Just a thought...
    Of course people have tried that. While you can group content by the two or three options Sony gives you, you cannot create new folders or create playlists. I'm really looking forward to this functionality as I am now using my PS3 for my primary media center (except for DVD since it doesn't upconvert, yet).

Apprentice
    Thanks to all....except Sony. GIVE ME SUBFOLDER CREATION!!!!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Elite Guru
    this better freakin' come with the next firmware update. if they want us to use the ps3 as a media center, they better give us a way to organize our stuff. really stupid of them not to already.

-Live the life you love, love the life you live-

Dedicated Member

I want subfolder creation aswell i would like to be able to orginise my music as the ps3 doesnt do a good job of it.
    PSN/Gamertag: darkwrld

Superior Member
    sony is just focusing on capabilities right now. the excess stuff will come later. hopefully not too late.

PS3 Subfolders

Here is a workaround for putting subfolders on the PS3 that I found.

*You have to do this for every file.*
    First select the file and press triangle, next scroll down to INFORMATION. Select it then scroll down to ALBUM (It's displayed right under the video's title) and press X. The keyboard will pop-up allowing you to change the album name to whatever you want (by default, the album name is always the date the file was copied over to the PS3). For example, I changed the album of all my movie files to "Movies" and I changed the album name of all my trailers to "T." Once you have done all that, press triangle on any file and scroll up to GROUP CONTENT (or press square) and select BY ALBUM.

Now all your files should be sorted into subfolders by album name. For example I have all my movies in a nice single subfolder labeled "Movies". I know it seems a bit tedious but it is an effective way to clean up the mess and organize your crap. This would work well for the guy with all the Family Guy episodes. This should work equally well for photos and music, though Ive got too many photos to rename.

Hopes this helps someone out

Apprentice
    ^^although it's a workaround i not sure I want to rename my 4000+ photos and 3500+ MP3's. Supporting sub-folders seems such an obvious feature for a 'media centre'!
    PS3 'slim' (WD 500Gb HDD) | PSP Go
    Clan: S2BU

Gogeta
    No offence, but why bring back a thread from 11 months ago, I thought grave digging wasn't allowed.

Master Poster
    klosko7, great idea.
    I never even thought of that.
    I'll need to try this one out

veedub, you should try out Metamorphose, it is an incredibly useful file-renamer.
    http://file-folder-ren.sourceforge.net/

Gogeta, while it is an old topic, the bumping post is pretty useful in dealing with the problem in OP post.
    I still don't know why people get so pissy over older topics being bumped, never really bothered me, unless it was something stupid like "LOL NO1S POSTED IN HERE 4 AWHILE LOL"

edit:
    Still, i really wish there was better file-management on PS3, and extended for different file systems... i hate FAT32 D:
    I have no signature.
    No, really, i don't. You're just imagining this.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by klosko7 View Post
    Here is a workaround for putting subfolders on the PS3 that I found.

*You have to do this for every file.*
    First select the file and press triangle, next scroll down to INFORMATION. Select it then scroll down to ALBUM (It's displayed right under the video's title) and press X. The keyboard will pop-up allowing you to change the album name to whatever you want (by default, the album name is always the date the file was copied over to the PS3). For example, I changed the album of all my movie files to "Movies" and I changed the album name of all my trailers to "T." Once you have done all that, press triangle on any file and scroll up to GROUP CONTENT (or press square) and select BY ALBUM.

Now all your files should be sorted into subfolders by album name. For example I have all my movies in a nice single subfolder labeled "Movies". I know it seems a bit tedious but it is an effective way to clean up the mess and organize your crap. This would work well for the guy with all the Family Guy episodes. This should work equally well for photos and music, though Ive got too many photos to rename.

Hopes this helps someone out
    That is a good tip - although I still wouldn't class them as being sub-folders. Since the folders created are top level on the PS3. What I personally would love to see is the ability to create proper folders.

So for example, under the VIDEO icon you might have a MOVIES folder and within this folder you would have HORROR, SCI-FI, THRILLER, COMEDY etc.

That is what I would regard as being proper sub-folders but I can't see this happening anytime soon. Although, like alot of others, I just wonder how Sony can push the PS3 as a media hub when you can't do something as simple as organise your media files the way you want them.

Just my 2 pence worth...

Solution

Quote Originally Posted by knuckleheadlush View Post
    I understand that, currently, the PS3 does not allow us to create folders or subfolders. I am wondering if anyone knows of a workaround using memory sticks, SD memory, etc.

Please let me know if there is a solution.
    Here is a SOLUTION Create folders like this PS3 - PICTURE - (then your subfolders ) Then on YOUR ps3 press SQUARE it will sort the pictures out for you into the subfolders .For MP3 s JUST CHANGE THE PICTURE FOLDER TO MUSIC.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Didnt mean to dual-post.. X.x

Sig&Av by Kuro

Summoning (Destiny of) spirits as I venture back into (FFX) Spira. With a bit of "Catching 'em All!" on the side.

PS4 Preorders: WatchDogsWitcher3DyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunnter View Post
    3rd this.

yes lets pressure sony on a useless feature... O.o

Quote Originally Posted by mzaslam View Post
    That is a good tip - although I still wouldn't class them as being sub-folders. Since the folders created are top level on the PS3. What I personally would love to see is the ability to create proper folders.

So for example, under the VIDEO icon you might have a MOVIES folder and within this folder you would have HORROR, SCI-FI, THRILLER, COMEDY etc.

That is what I would regard as being proper sub-folders but I can't see this happening anytime soon. Although, like alot of others, I just wonder how Sony can push the PS3 as a media hub when you can't do something as simple as organise your media files the way you want them.

Just my 2 pence worth...
    Why not just use the media server stuff? Its easier, and you can have folders.. though not sure if media server would work for in-game music. x.x

Sig&Av by Kuro

Summoning (Destiny of) spirits as I venture back into (FFX) Spira. With a bit of "Catching 'em All!" on the side.

PS4 Preorders: WatchDogsWitcher3DyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Thread Information