Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1020 ... LastLast

I made a post in the wrong place in the Thread - can you correct this
    lipreader Belkin Setup - help please 2 Minutes Ago, 08:29 AM

Forum Sage
    What do you mean wrong place, its in the right place....
    "I only regret that I have but one life to give my country."-CPT Hale
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."-George Orwell

I have a Belkin - where did you enable UPnP - I cant find it

Forum Sage
    It should be on the menu some where, can you upload a screen shot of your routers cp?
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."-George Orwell

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Decoy-I View Post
    Im having some trouble. I have NAT 3, and a wireless connection.

I dont know how to do any of the port forwarding or static ip stuff. I dont know how to even get to those router pages things...

Im completley lost. O_O.
    /cry . me too . besides email / browsing etc i dont know how to do anything computer related . stuck at Nat 3 and haven't a clue how to fix the problem .

Quote Originally Posted by nekon View Post
    I noticed from the recent Warhawk beta e-mail that many users weren't aware of their current NAT situation or what it even meant. I thought I should start a thread to both shed some light on the PS3 NAT Type and on how to change it if need be. YMMV

Glossary
    • DMZ (Demilitarized Zone)
      Short for demilitarized zone, a computer or small subnetwork that sits between a trusted internal network, such as a corporate private LAN, and an untrusted external network, such as the public Internet.
    • MAC Address (Media Access Control Address)
      Short for Media Access Control address, a hardware address that uniquely identifies each node of a network. In IEEE 802 networks, the Data Link Control (DLC) layer of the OSI Reference Model is divided into two sublayers: the Logical Link Control (LLC) layer and the Media Access Control (MAC) layer. The MAC layer interfaces directly with the network medium. Consequently, each different type of network medium requires a different MAC layer.
    • NAT (Network Address Translation)
      Short for Network Address Translation, an Internet standard that enables a local-area network (LAN) to use one set of IP addresses for internal traffic and a second set of addresses for external traffic. A NAT box located where the LAN meets the Internet makes all necessary IP address translations.
    • Port
      In TCP/IP and UDP networks, an endpoint to a logical connection. The port number identifies what type of port it is. For example, port 80 is used for HTTP traffic.
    • Port Range Forward
      An interface on a computer to which you can connect a device. Personal computers have various types of ports. Internally, there are several ports for connecting disk drives, display screens, and keyboards. Externally, personal computers have ports for connecting modems, printers, mice, and other peripheral devices.
    • Static IP
      Generally refers to elements of the Internet or computer programming that are fixed and not capable of action or change. The opposite of static is dynamic.
    • TCP (Transmission Control Protocol)
      Abbreviation of Transmission Control Protocol, and pronounced as separate letters. TCP is one of the main protocols in TCP/IP networks. Whereas the IP protocol deals only with packets, TCP enables two hosts to establish a connection and exchange streams of data. TCP guarantees delivery of data and also guarantees that packets will be delivered in the same order in which they were sent.
    • UDP (User Datagram Protocol)
      Abbreviated UDP, a connectionless protocol that, like TCP, runs on top of IP networks. Unlike TCP/IP, UDP/IP provides very few error recovery services, offering instead a direct way to send and receive datagrams over an IP network. It's used primarily for broadcasting messages over a network.
    • UPnP (Universal Plug and Play)
      Short for Universal Plug and Play, a networking architecture that provides compatibility among networking equipment, software and peripherals of the 400+ vendors that are part of the Universal Plug and Play Forum.

Different PS3 NAT Types and Meanings (Generalized)
    • NAT Type 1
      You are either NOT behind a router/firewall OR you have already DMZ enabled your PS3. Your PS3 is connected properly and you shouldn't run into any issues.
    • NAT Type 2
      Your PS3 is connected to a router. Your PS3 is connected properly and you shouldn't run into any issues.
    • NAT Type 3
      You are behind a router/firewall. While your PS3 may be able to connect to the PSN and perform downloads/updates other functions may not work as intended.

How to find out your NAT Type

To find out your PS3s NAT Type simply go to:

Settings > Network Settings > Internet Connection Test
    You'll be disconnected from the PSN while you perform your test. Once complete you'll know which NAT Type your PS3 is.

How do I change my NAT Type

If your NAT Type 1 or 2 then you don't need to change a thing, everything is working as it should. If you're NAT Type 3 then you're in the right place and should try these steps. There is no guarantee what worked for me will work for you and since we all have different routers and I cannot offer support on your personal situation. The best I can do is tell you what worked for me and hope you can put the pieces together.

• In most cases you will have to assign your PS3 a static IP address. I can't tell you step by step how to do it to your router but hopefully now that you know what it's called you can find your way. You'll need to know your PS3s MAC address to assign a static IP. To find your MAC address simply go to

<B>
      Settings > System Settings > System Information
      </B>
      You should now see your MAC address, I suggest you write it down.
    • Once your PS3 has an static IP address you need to open up a few ports. In my situation I simply went to

<B>
      Applications & Gaming > Port Range Forward
      </B>
      This is basically what I see..

Ultimately you need to open ports
      TCP: 80, 443, 5223
      UDP: 3478, 3479, 3658
    • Once you've done this turn off your PS3 and power cycle your router. Run another Internet Connection Test and you're hopefully NAT Type 2.

Congratulations your PS3 is now NAT Type 2 and fully functional!
    thanks man your my official hero and ur my new bestest best besty best friend .................................. KOOL

Apprentice
    Og man good job thanks for the post it took me some time but i got it anyone else having problems with a netgear modem that cant get it working i got it finially

Apprentice
    how do you enter the page to change your reuter / modem settings . i have a Us Robotics reuter if that makes any difference .

apaquette420
    they only nat type i can get is Failed every time i do a connection test it fails on nat type all the other things are successful i have tried everything to change it...anyone have any idea's???????? games like motostorm , FEAR , R:FOM work only no problem but COD 4 wont work.... any help would be great thanks alot

Great thread. Thanks a lot, it was very helpful.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by apaquette420 View Post
    they only nat type i can get is Failed every time i do a connection test it fails on nat type all the other things are successful i have tried everything to change it...anyone have any idea's???????? games like motostorm , FEAR , R:FOM work only no problem but COD 4 wont work.... any help would be great thanks alot
    Have you tried following this tutorial? It should work if not post back and tell me exactly what you did. And what was the result.

Yo if anyone needs help message me on PSN
    PSN ID: Delta_force2389

UPnP and NAT problems

Hi All, first post in the forum

I have a friend who has just upgraded to version 2.01 same as myself
    however unlike me his NAT has changed from a 2 to a 3 , has anyone else experienced that problem after the upgrade.

Also where in PS3 menu would you change the IP address to a static one?, or is it only done dynamically?

Hope to post some useful stuff in the future for everyone;s benefit...

Elite Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by kalibra View Post
    Hi All, first post in the forum

I have a friend who has just upgraded to version 2.01 same as myself
    however unlike me his NAT has changed from a 2 to a 3 , has anyone else experienced that problem after the upgrade.

Also where in PS3 menu would you change the IP address to a static one?, or is it only done dynamically?

Hope to post some useful stuff in the future for everyone;s benefit...

Go to Settings>Network Settings>Internet Connection Settings. When it asks you to select a setting method choose "custom" instead of "easy." You should be able to set a static IP from there.

UPnP and NAT problems

miamiman...

Many thanks will start from there...

Thanks for the post, changed my router, put my PS3 in the DMZ, and now have NAT 2, working great now. Thanks for the post.
    [SIGPIC]Are you dead yet?[/SIGPIC]
    --Life is Great----Your Death is Better!--
    Hitachi 50'' Plasma HD T.V. PS3-60GB
    Fav. Games - COD 4 and 5, Socom:Confrontation, KZ2, MGS4.

ajnumber8
    hey all

i have a NAT Type 3 and i want to change to NAT type 2, i have seen what i need to do on the internet about forwarding ports and the rest, but my router settings just dont give me that choice!

Its a Dynamode WiFi Wireless Router and i really wanna change to NAT Type 2 to maybe solve my connection issues on some games

any suggestions and thanks in advance!

Master Poster
    I'm going to buy a headset for Warhawk. I can't seem to get Nat 2 and
    I was wondering, does it matter as I have found many say they have
    had no issues.
    Poop, scoop and shoot.
    My band: http://soundcloud.com/nionabeo

Dedicated Member
    Errrrrrrr I had it at Type 2 earlier and when I go to play Burnout online it changes back to NAt type 3??!? I am running on a Netgear router

Superior Member
    hi guys just a quick question prob sound real stupid saying this ive read through this as my nat type is 3 and ive been trying to change it for hours all you ppl seem to get it working by changing the ps3 to DMZ where do i do this??

Also im using a wireless router suppied by my dads work how i got into it and change the ports allowed

Master Poster
    Items Solid SnakeKonami
    Thanks for this tutorial! It helped me great!

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by scoll View Post
    hi guys just a quick question prob sound real stupid saying this ive read through this as my nat type is 3 and ive been trying to change it for hours all you ppl seem to get it working by changing the ps3 to DMZ where do i do this??

Also im using a wireless router suppied by my dads work how i got into it and change the ports allowed
    Go to start then run then cmd then press enter. Type ipconfig /all. Find the default gateway and type that into your internet browser. It will bring you to a config page. You can do DMZ and all from right there.

Quote Originally Posted by ajnumber8 View Post
    hey all

i have a NAT Type 3 and i want to change to NAT type 2, i have seen what i need to do on the internet about forwarding ports and the rest, but my router settings just dont give me that choice!

Its a Dynamode WiFi Wireless Router and i really wanna change to NAT Type 2 to maybe solve my connection issues on some games

any suggestions and thanks in advance!
    I would try contacting the router company and ask how to forward ports. I know some routers have hidden ways of forwarding ports.

If you are unable to do so I'd go to the nearest computer store and get a router that does, because every router should have that feature.

To those who have tried everything to get a NAT type 2 and have been unsuccessful.

I tried every tip in almost every PS3 forum known to man and never was able to change my NAT type from 3 to 2. I had a theory that my modem had some sort of internal hardware obstacle (or software) so as a last ditch effort I called my ISP and asked to swap to a new modem model. Hooked it up and finally got a NAT 2. I suggest to everyone to first try forward your ports, DMZ, etc.. before trying this.

ajnumber8
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMofo View Post
    I would try contacting the router company and ask how to forward ports. I know some routers have hidden ways of forwarding ports.

If you are unable to do so I'd go to the nearest computer store and get a router that does, because every router should have that feature.
    Thanks for the help, iv emailed the company about forwarding ports.

I would liek to try the DMZ, i am not sure what its all about but if i am correct it puts the PS3 pat the firewall or something?

Please clarify this with me, i hate to sound like a n00b lol but how do you do this and what is it?

Thread Information