Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 515 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Svetlana View Post
    I also get the NAT 3 error when using an ethernet cable from my PS3 to my router but I can play games online without any problems. Wireless is a different matter - it will not work at all.

I probably unwittingly set my PS3 IP the same as my computer (I got a yellow exclamation mark in my system tray).

How do I get my PS3 set up wirelessly and how do I create a static IP for the PS3? Because I'm in England, do I have to use specific ports to forward on my router?

So very confusing!
    Can you get the PS3 to see the AP at all? If not, you need to position either the PS3 or the AP better.

What brand/model of AP are you using? I've got a Netgear DG834PN, so this may be different for you......

1. In the PS3, set your IP address manually.
    2. In the AP, reserve that IP address.
    3. Make that IP address the default DMZ server.

After I did that, the PS3 is coming up with NAT2.

I have UPnP turned on in my AP, but the PS3 is seeing it as unavailable for some reason. Netgear have yet to respond to my support email request re this.

Forum Sage
    I'm using the Netgear DG834 v3, probably very similar to yours. When I ran the network connection test, my UPnP was 'not available' and the NAT type was 3.

When I try to get my PS3 to work wirelessly, it actually detects my network name (SSID?) but will not progress any further. There's probably a few things that I should enter manually to get it all running.

I'll have a go tomorrow when I'm not busy and post my results.

Lastfm id: RadioheadSnob

I'm using the Netgear DG834 v3, probably very similar to yours. When I ran the network connection test, my UPnP was 'not available' and the NAT type was 3.

When I try to get my PS3 to work wirelessly, it actually detects my network name (SSID?) but will not progress any further. There's probably a few things that I should enter manually to get it all running.

I'll have a go tomorrow when I'm not busy and post my results.
    Ok. At least it can see the AP. I assume you're letting the PS3 scan for the SSID? What happens after it finds it and you move to the next section?

What security are you using? I'm using WPA2 on mine. It's set as TKIP in the AP, but the PS3 is seeing it as AES for some reason. Again, Netgear have yet to reply to my emails . Remember that all the devices on your wireless network need to use the same security, otherwise you'll get problems.

Hey Nekon. I'm using a Belking 54g wireless router and I don't know where to go to open ports etc. Do you think you could help? Cheers.

Forum Sage
    I have no idea how to set this thing up!

I checked my Netgear router management console and my PS3's MAC address is recognised. I don't know what ports to forward or anything.

My router is a DG834 V3 (Netgear). I'd appreciate it if anybody could give me a step by step walkthrough.

Edit: my wired connection works fine although I do have the NAT 3. When I tried setting up my wireless connection on the PS3, it recognised the SSID and gave me a signal strength of 84%. After it had run through the check, it hanged on the IP part and wouldn't progress any further.

This isn't a desperate situation - I can still play online with a wired connection. It's just that it's a lot of hassle to disconnect my router just to bring it into my lounge to play online with.

Anybody who attempts to help me with this shall receive +rep for their efforts.

Ishimaru Kaito
    WTF. i got NAT type 2 and now i get NAT type 3 how does that happen i put my PS3's IP into a DMZ and still NAT 3, i turned on and off the UPNP and still nothing changed. but something wierd keeps happeneing. my IP for my PS3 keeps changing once i make an adjustment to my router. can someone help me again

Forum Sage
    It's such a headache trying to do this. Why can't Netgear ever make routers that are user friendly?

Argh.

I'm using NETGEAR too and I just found out that its my broadband modem casuing the problem as it acts as a router as well. So I'm about to "bridge" the modem so effectively disable the broadband modems' router feature.

Wish me luck.

Here's hoping for NAT2!
    PSN: Jetdriver
    ...and yes, I really do drive a jet (CRJ900)
    Toshiba 47"LX196 1080P
    60Gb PS3

Forum Sage
    So has anybody had any experience setting up a wireless connection to the PS3 using Netgear modem/routers? Something like this will keep me awake at night and if I don't get a resolution soon, I'm going to be an insomniac.

I'm such a perfectionist...

Edit: my wired connection works fine although I do have the NAT 3. When I tried setting up my wireless connection on the PS3, it recognised the SSID and gave me a signal strength of 84%. After it had run through the check, it hanged on the IP part and wouldn't progress any further.
    Ok. First things first.
    1. Reserve an IP address for your PS3. In the LAN IP setup of your AP, find the section that mentions address reservation. You'll need to choose an IP address that none of the other devices on your network uses. You'll also need the MAC address of your PS3. Put all those details in and apply them in your AP.
    2. Go to the Wireless Settings section of your AP and note the security options you're using. You'll want to make sure your PS3 is correctly detecting this in a minute.
    3. Go to the WAN Setup section of your AP and find the section that mentions DMZ. Enable/tick it, then put the IP address you reserved for your PS3 in there. Apply it.
    4. Go back to your PS3 and go through the Network Setup again. Make sure it's detecting the same security settings as your AP is set to (it should do, but make sure). Then, set the addresses manually. You'll need to know what DNS server IP address your ISP wants you to use (if any).

I think you should be able to leave the rest as whatever they default to.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    I had a Netgear DG834-WS, not sure if it's the same model as yours though I presume it is, we changed it as the router (even the replacement one) kept messing up, and well, we have a BT Homehub now. Anyway to the point:

There isn't any need for setting up a DMZ for your PS3, in fact I found that with the WG834 series is that it made the internet rather dodgy, even when just setting it to a single device (constant disconnections for all machines). I'm trying to remember the GUI controls but I can't, though if you can guess yourself around the console then you should be able to do some of this:

Connect the PS3 to the router, when connected go to the connected devices screen and select the PS3 (normally shown with the MAC Address), select that to go to the devices properties and check the "maintain IP Address" box, this will reserve the IP address for the PS3.

Now try connecting wirelessly, go to the network wizard and do auto configuration on everything on the PS3, now if the PS3 uses the same network adapter (which I think it does for both the wired and the wireless...which is odd) then it should automatically use the IP address of the reserved device that you set earlier.

If you can log in via PSN then you should at least have a NAT 3 properly configured. To get a Nat 1 you need to assign the IP a DMZ, which isn't a good idea on your router as it kept screwing up for me when I did it with my PS2 a year ago.

Instead of DMZ, you can instead open the ports 00001 to 25600, that's more than enough ports to open, and make sure to set it solely to your PS3, if you don't get NAT 1 from that then try rebooting the router (turn it off then back on), sometimes that works (it worked with my BT Homehub and Linksys router).

Keep in mind that some ISPs enforce a NAT 2 or a NAT 3, with BT you cannot get a NAT 1 no matter what you do.

Superior Member
    I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who posted advice in this thread. I've had a hell of a time getting my PS 3 to NAT 2, but thanks to the OP and a few others I've finally done it and became much more computer-savvy in the process.

Seriously, it took me like a week's worth of time fiddling with the modem/router before I stumbled on this guide and finally figured it out. I've found several other FAQs about this on the net, but none answered all the questions I needed.

I registered on this forum specifically to make this thank you post, but after browsing some I think I may stay for awhile. One more thing, as soon as I figure out the rep system, every poster who offered advice will receive as much as I can give.

PS: If anyone needs additional help with this topic regarding a Lynksys WRT router, feel free to pm me as I've now learned a lot about this and would be happy to share my advice.

Forum Sage
    I have no idea how to set this thing up!

I checked my Netgear router management console and my PS3's MAC address is recognised. I don't know what ports to forward or anything.

My router is a DG834 V3 (Netgear). I'd appreciate it if anybody could give me a step by step walkthrough.

This isn't a desperate situation - I can still play online with a wired connection. It's just that it's a lot of hassle to disconnect my router just to bring it into my lounge to play online with.

Anybody who attempts to help me with this shall receive +rep for their efforts.
    Do you have any security set up? and also make sure that DHCP is enabled on your router, let me look into it a little more and get back to you.
    "I only regret that I have but one life to give my country."-CPT Hale
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."-George Orwell

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishimaru Kaito View Post
    WTF. i got NAT type 2 and now i get NAT type 3 how does that happen i put my PS3's IP into a DMZ and still NAT 3, i turned on and off the UPNP and still nothing changed. but something wierd keeps happeneing. my IP for my PS3 keeps changing once i make an adjustment to my router. can someone help me again

If your IP constantly changes, it sounds to me like you need to set a static IP address for it.

Network Settings--> Internet Connection Settings

Instead of going the automatic route, you need to define your own IP (make sure to use one that's not already used, your comp will do weird things if you use that one) by picking Manual, then entering the corresponding information from your router's Status page. If you choose an unused number from the upper 1/4 of the available IP string (viewable on the initial setup tab) you should be fine.

Forum Sage
    Thanks for the help, people. After around two hours of constantly fiddling with various settings, I finally managed to get my wireless connection to the PS3 working. Sure, it's still NAT 3 but at least everything is up and running.

Even though my modem/router is upstairs, I still get a fantastic 80% strength signal which makes playing online games a breeze.

What I did to get my PS3 onto my wireless network was to manually configure the IP. I also entered the DNS as shown on my router settings. What I was doing wrong was inputting the WEP key...I thought it was the thirteen figure SSID sign in key and not the massive 24 character password.

I nearly had an aneurysm through all of this!

Thanks for the help, people. After around two hours of constantly fiddling with various settings, I finally managed to get my wireless connection to the PS3 working. Sure, it's still NAT 3 but at least everything is up and running.
    WOOT! Just out of curiosity, what's your wireless speed like compared to wired? Wireless on mine is *very* slow by comparison.....can't figure out why

Nice photo in your sig too btw.

Forum Sage
    It seems about the same speed to me. The wireless speed doesn't feel any different as to what it's like with a crossover cable.

It seems about the same speed to me. The wireless speed doesn't feel any different as to what it's like with a crossover cable.
    Dammit....wish I could work out why mine is so much slower then . Netgear don't have a clue. When I finally got an answer from them, it was "Upgrade your firmware", which I had already done

Forum Sage
    If you got your PS3 working wireless now and set a static IP stick it in the DMZ that should fix the problem.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."-George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by hockeydude30 View Post
    If you got your PS3 working wireless now and set a static IP stick it in the DMZ that should fix the problem.
    Been trying for days now to get a NAT type 2 with my Linksys router and still no luck. Forwarded all required ports, set my static PS3 IP address to the DMZ, power cycled everything, and still absolutley nothing.
    I'm beginning to wonder if switching from a wireless connection to wired will help, or if the problem lies beyond the router. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by DaMofo View Post
    Been trying for days now to get a NAT type 2 with my Linksys router and still no luck. Forwarded all required ports, set my static PS3 IP address to the DMZ, power cycled everything, and still absolutley nothing.
    I'm beginning to wonder if switching from a wireless connection to wired will help, or if the problem lies beyond the router. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    NAT3 means your PS3 thinks the IP is still firewalled (as opposed to just routed, which is NAT2). Do you have any custom firewall rules set up for that IP address in your router?

I'm not entirely sure...I have my DHCP server IP starting at ###.###.#.100 to ###.###.#.149 so I set my PS3 IP to ###.###.#.149.

Checking through my router settings under 'firewall' I have all of the following turned on:

Respond To ICMP PingAllow MulticastEnable NAT Loopback

Anything else I can look for?

Quote Originally Posted by DaMofo View Post
    I'm not entirely sure...I have my DHCP server IP starting at ###.###.#.100 to ###.###.#.149 so I set my PS3 IP to ###.###.#.149.

Checking through my router settings under 'firewall' I have all of the following turned on:

Respond To ICMP PingAllow MulticastEnable NAT Loopback

Anything else I can look for?
    If you have your PS3 IP address in the DMZ, it shouldn't matter (as you're effectively telling your router to allow that IP to bypass the firewall). I can't think of anything else to check.....have you tried contacting Linksys themselves to ask the question? I'm still waiting for Netgear to get back to me about the woefully slow wireless speeds I'm getting, so you probably won't want to hold your breath waiting for an answer though

Okay I have a belkin router and it is nat 3..I think its because I have a router built into my modem..but my isp doesnt support it..and it wont work.how do I bypass this. and get it to nat 2..I have tried everything I can find on here.

Forum Sage
    Your ISP might be blocking the ports, not sure but if putting it in the DMZ doesn't work I can't think of anything else. If you have a linksys router install a different firmware on it.

Thread Information