Page 1 of 20 111 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Forum Elder

Tutorial: How to change NAT type (YMMV)

I noticed from the recent Warhawk beta e-mail that many users weren't aware of their current NAT situation or what it even meant. I thought I should start a thread to both shed some light on the PS3 NAT Type and on how to change it if need be. YMMV

Glossary
    • DMZ (Demilitarized Zone)
      Short for demilitarized zone, a computer or small subnetwork that sits between a trusted internal network, such as a corporate private LAN, and an untrusted external network, such as the public Internet.
    • MAC Address (Media Access Control Address)
      Short for Media Access Control address, a hardware address that uniquely identifies each node of a network. In IEEE 802 networks, the Data Link Control (DLC) layer of the OSI Reference Model is divided into two sublayers: the Logical Link Control (LLC) layer and the Media Access Control (MAC) layer. The MAC layer interfaces directly with the network medium. Consequently, each different type of network medium requires a different MAC layer.
    • NAT (Network Address Translation)
      Short for Network Address Translation, an Internet standard that enables a local-area network (LAN) to use one set of IP addresses for internal traffic and a second set of addresses for external traffic. A NAT box located where the LAN meets the Internet makes all necessary IP address translations.
    • Port
      In TCP/IP and UDP networks, an endpoint to a logical connection. The port number identifies what type of port it is. For example, port 80 is used for HTTP traffic.
    • Port Range Forward
      An interface on a computer to which you can connect a device. Personal computers have various types of ports. Internally, there are several ports for connecting disk drives, display screens, and keyboards. Externally, personal computers have ports for connecting modems, printers, mice, and other peripheral devices.
    • Static IP
      Generally refers to elements of the Internet or computer programming that are fixed and not capable of action or change. The opposite of static is dynamic.
    • TCP (Transmission Control Protocol)
      Abbreviation of Transmission Control Protocol, and pronounced as separate letters. TCP is one of the main protocols in TCP/IP networks. Whereas the IP protocol deals only with packets, TCP enables two hosts to establish a connection and exchange streams of data. TCP guarantees delivery of data and also guarantees that packets will be delivered in the same order in which they were sent.
    • UDP (User Datagram Protocol)
      Abbreviated UDP, a connectionless protocol that, like TCP, runs on top of IP networks. Unlike TCP/IP, UDP/IP provides very few error recovery services, offering instead a direct way to send and receive datagrams over an IP network. It's used primarily for broadcasting messages over a network.
    • UPnP (Universal Plug and Play)
      Short for Universal Plug and Play, a networking architecture that provides compatibility among networking equipment, software and peripherals of the 400+ vendors that are part of the Universal Plug and Play Forum.

Different PS3 NAT Types and Meanings (Generalized)
    • NAT Type 1
      You are either NOT behind a router/firewall OR you have already DMZ enabled your PS3. Your PS3 is connected properly and you shouldn't run into any issues.
    • NAT Type 2
      Your PS3 is connected to a router. Your PS3 is connected properly and you shouldn't run into any issues.
    • NAT Type 3
      You are behind a router/firewall. While your PS3 may be able to connect to the PSN and perform downloads/updates other functions may not work as intended.

How to find out your NAT Type

To find out your PS3s NAT Type simply go to:
    Settings > Network Settings > Internet Connection Test

You'll be disconnected from the PSN while you perform your test. Once complete you'll know which NAT Type your PS3 is.

How do I change my NAT Type

If your NAT Type 1 or 2 then you don't need to change a thing, everything is working as it should. If you're NAT Type 3 then you're in the right place and should try these steps. There is no guarantee what worked for me will work for you and since we all have different routers and I cannot offer support on your personal situation. The best I can do is tell you what worked for me and hope you can put the pieces together.

• In most cases you will have to assign your PS3 a static IP address. I can't tell you step by step how to do it to your router but hopefully now that you know what it's called you can find your way. You'll need to know your PS3s MAC address to assign a static IP. To find your MAC address simply go to

Settings > System Settings > System Information

You should now see your MAC address, I suggest you write it down.
    • Once your PS3 has an static IP address you need to open up a few ports. In my situation I simply went to

Applications & Gaming > Port Range Forward

This is basically what I see..

Ultimately you need to open ports

TCP: 80, 443, 5223
      UDP: 3478, 3479, 3658
    • Once you've done this turn off your PS3 and power cycle your router. Run another Internet Connection Test and you're hopefully NAT Type 2.

Congratulations your PS3 is now NAT Type 2 and fully functional!
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 11-16-2012 at 07:51.

Samsung HL-S5087W 50" DLP Display
    Yamaha RX-V2700 AV Receiver
    Microsoft Xbox 360 Premium
    Sony Playstation 3 @ 1080p

Dedicated Member
    Awesome thread.

I was already running under Nat2 Type connection from the beginning. But hope this helps others in need?
    PSN/XBL Gamertag: DMPrince
    Wii #: 4027 0970 7797 6967
    Slim PSP Owner

acetech
    Quote Originally Posted by darkiewonder View Post
    Awesome thread.

I was already running under Nat2 Type connection from the beginning. But hope this helps others in need?

for those who would like some extra help in forwarding any ports on there router there is a website called portforward.com.

They have most if not all types of routers in regards to HOWTO set up your router to enable port forwarding and giving yourself a static ip address rather than a DHCP ip address.

The problem with a DHCP address is that a piece of hardware on your network ie: PS3 - might have for example an IP address of 192.168.2.7 one day and 192.168.2.5 the next.

So if you have placed the PS3 in the DMZ under a DHCP IP address it wont do it any good the following day or the next time your PS3 joins the network,
    so give it a static IP addy and you will be gauranteed the address of your PS3 wont change and that your laptop or PC is not acccidentally placed in the DMZ

I recommend giving a static ip to all PC's and Laptops ,PS3's XBOX360's if you have a home network - remember to switch DHCP off when you have

EVILEMPIRE
    i got nat type 2 but i still didn't get into warhawk arGHhH THIS sux its true hispanics never get anything lol :-/ thats why i never wish for anything dammit!

Very nice tutorial and well written.

Apprentice

That's a good tutorial, but I have a problem. What if you're not getting a NAT type at all?

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxyman14 View Post
    That's a good tutorial, but I have a problem. What if you're not getting a NAT type at all?
    THanks! I'm sorry I dunno what to tell you.. I didn't know that was possible.. The best I could think of is that you're behind a router with a very strict firewall..? You can either attempt to DMZ your PS3 if you router supports it OR follow my tutorial anyhow and see if it can get you a NAT Type. Otherwise check and make sure your PS3 has a network cable plugged in

Quote Originally Posted by EddieDZ View Post
    nice turtorial for people wanting to change from NAT 3 to NAT 2... so really there is no way of going from NAT 2 to NAT 1 even after port forwarding and enabling DMZ, so in other words the ONLY way to get NAT 1 is to run the PS3 directly to your cable modem and not to use a router cause as even you proved it, i have a router and even with port forwarding and DMZ enable for my PS3's static IP address i STILL get NAT 2 no matter what and it appears you got NAT 2 also and not NAT 1 even after the ports forwarding.
    Thanks and no it's no necessary.. NAT1 and NAT2 are the same thing just one is behind a router and one is not. That's it, no benefits over either.

Quote Originally Posted by gabrielh View Post
    I was NAT3 too (using a wi-fi router) .

I just put my PS3 IP at the DMZ in the wi-fi router...and voila...NAT2
    Nice! Some people have issues with DMZ.. A lot of routers don't "do" it well.. Mine works but I had to DMZ my finicky 360 as it just wouldn't take to the ports.. I can only DMZ one device at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason242 View Post
    If I get internet from my apartment, what should I ask them to do? My apartment get cable internet, and I only have an ethernet socket to run the ethernet cord from and to. I've tried talking to PS Asia's email support, but they just say enable UPnP, but that doesn't work. I of course have to figure out how communicate with my landlord about this issue in Chinese, which may be tricky. My Chinese isn't great.
    I would suggest attempting to ask him to open a few ports.. If not you can try and give him the MAC address of your PS3 and the port list.. Then just ask him to assign an IP and forward the ports to said IP. It's all based on how technical this guy is. internet like that is always a battle. Good luck.

Apprentice

Anyone have any luck getting NAT2 with a Linksys WP54GC (Comcast provided modem)? I've done the port forward, tried DMZ, everything and can not get to NAT2. Although, I'm not terribly concerned because I've had no issues being at NAT3.

Super Elite

PSN ID
    chainclutch
    nice turtorial for people wanting to change from NAT 3 to NAT 2... so really there is no way of going from NAT 2 to NAT 1 even after port forwarding and enabling DMZ, so in other words the ONLY way to get NAT 1 is to run the PS3 directly to your cable modem and not to use a router cause as even you proved it, i have a router and even with port forwarding and DMZ enable for my PS3's static IP address i STILL get NAT 2 no matter what and it appears you got NAT 2 also and not NAT 1 even after the ports forwarding.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by a member on slickdeal
    hey guys, The PS3 sounds great but I don't know if my computer could handle it. It's a 1.5GHZ processor and 512GHZ ram according to the box. Could I run the PS3? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by gabrielh View Post

I was at NAT3 also, and I used your suggestion of putting the PS3 IP at the DMZ on the router WAN setup page.

Voila! NAT2, brilliant! I hope there isn't any downside to doing this. Now to just get the PC to PS3 file server stuff enabled.

Thanks for the tip.
    SONY KDL-46V2500
    PS3 60GB - for playing at home.
    BMW K1200RS - for playing on the curves.
    Tacoma 4x4 - for playing in the dirt.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by curare View Post
    I was at NAT3 also, and I used your suggestion of putting the PS3 IP at the DMZ on the router WAN setup page.

Voila! NAT2, brilliant! I hope there isn't any downside to doing this. Now to just get the PC to PS3 file server stuff enabled.

Thanks for the tip.
    Glad it helped There's no downside really.. it's as if there was no router now, since the PS# isn't a PC it's not in any harm.

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfIllusions View Post
    i also hae a linksys router but i dont have a mac how do i get to that page to open up the ports??
    PM Sent.

If I get internet from my apartment, what should I ask them to do? My apartment get cable internet, and I only have an ethernet socket to run the ethernet cord from and to. I've tried talking to PS Asia's email support, but they just say enable UPnP, but that doesn't work. I of course have to figure out how communicate with my landlord about this issue in Chinese, which may be tricky. My Chinese isn't great.

Superior Member
    Nice, open some ports and got Nat 2 now. Never had a problem before, but I wanted type 2

Nice tutorial there + rep to you
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.2Ghz C2D 8600M GT, iPhone 3G 16GB
    PS3 120GB
    Sony 40" 40W4000, Onkyo 876, Homemade Concrete Speaker enclosures 7.1

Master Guru
    hasn't worked for me lol
    could anyone help, i have a Netgear router, does anyone know how to make my PS3 NAT type 2 with ANY Netgear router?
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Šopyright View Post
    hasn't worked for me lol
    could anyone help, i have a Netgear router, does anyone know how to make my PS3 NAT type 2 with ANY Netgear router?
    cheers
    What model router do you have?

I've got a DG834PN wireless access point and I had to make the 'default DMZ server' the IP that I have reserved for the PS3. After that it came back as NAT2.

Apprentice
    Great guide; lots will benefit from this. +Rep man, you rock!
    Pardon me: I suffer from premature articulation.

Apprentice
    I was already nat type 2 but this is good guide for people to become #2. The reason sony asked us our nat types was because if your #3 or something you wont be able to talk during the beta and that is a big deal.

Apprentice
    Great Post and im sure many appreciate it. +REP FOR YOU!!
    2009... New Yankees Stadium.... "The House The Kids Built."

AFMR-PS3
    Very nice thread! This should be sticiked!

+rep

Superior Member
    very helpful thread dude. i have a NAT 2 connection but the information was helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by pctrips
    + rep for power teabagging

Great tutorial,
    I'm sure this will help a lot of people out.

Banned
    Great post, I'm stickying it.

Dedicated Member
    OMG..i had the wrong static ip in for the whole time...thats why i was nat3 instead of 2 Thanks.

Thread Information