Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 10 1 ... LastLast
    Bakari

PC to PS3 DLNA streaming guide

I found this on Neogaf, I noticed that alot of people were having problems streaming media and I thought this guide would help. Goodluck!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158357
    OK, since bits of info get burried in a huge FW1.80 thread, I decided to make a new thread where I will update the first post regularly with new info.
    So, short notes first.

DLNA is an industry standard for media (audio,video, photo) sharing within concept of a digital home and is supported by many hardware and software manufacturers. As of FW1.80, DLNA is supported by Playstation 3 entertainment system. PS3 takes a role of DLNA Player, not DLNA server, so it can play a content of any DLNA server (source) in you digital home, but can not stream the content to other server within DLNA protocols. (Remote connect to PSP is using proprietary protocols)

What it means is that you have to have a DLNA server installed, either hardware (like some HDD storages, DVRs or set-top boxes) or as a software on your PC.

The latter is most interesting for majority of us, since DLNA certified CE equipment is not that widespread yet.

Your options for the software naturally depends on your operating system. DLNA is an open protocol based on UPnP (Universal PnP) and therefore can work on any operating system. So far we found a reasonably good solution only for Windows OSes, so I'll start with it.

Windows

WMP11

If you are running Windows Vista you have a very simple way to enable the sharing through Windows Media Player 11. If you search in Media Sharing Tab you can spot a new uknown device you can share media to:

Allow sharing to it and go to your PS3. Now, after 1.80 the new icon appeared in Music/Video and Photo bars, called Search for Media Servers. Click it and if you are lucky , a Vista media server icon will appear just under it. Now you can click on it and navigate through you WMP11 library direct in XMB!

Moreover, hit triangle on your video file and you can copy it over to PS3 without hassle!

Sounds good, right? Its not that perfect however, since you will be only play video and music files that are supported by PS3, and in some cases not even all of them. And that limits you to MP2 and MP4 (which reported to not work at some cases), so no luck with AVIs.

The only solution here is transcoding, which is basically on-fly recoding of source video/audio to target video/audio. The best (and only correctly working so far) program for it is Nero MediaHome, which is a part of Nero Digital Pro package: http://www.nero.com/eng/Upgrade_to_N...gital_Pro.html

Thanks to mingeeta@PS3forums we have a quick tutorial for setting it up.

Turn your PS3 on and login, and leave it on your XMB

Run a file in Nero Showtime to unblock the firewall that pops up and ALLOW.

Run Nero MediaHome

On the left are a set of Icons.

Heres a quick setup:

SHARED DIRECTORIES > Click ADD SHARE and browse to a single shared directory for now, as it takes time to add the details, so dont go adding gazillions of media files for now.

OPTIONS: I left them at default for now, but they are self explanatory. Automatically start media home when pc is switched on is a good one to tick up, but leave it off for now till you get it going.

NETWORK: Click the box for your ethernet card on your PC. Leave port number and network name at default for now

DEVICES: Click UPnP/1.0 line and click ALLOW ACCESS box

TRANSCODING: Leave on auto detect as it will talk to the ps3 and see what it can and cant play and come up with a solution after a few seconds.

TV: Set up your tv card here

STATUS: Click this ICON and you will be able to see whats going on

then click START SERVER at the bottom, and you wait a few moments. Go back to PS3 and it should show the Nero Media Home Icon. Browse as normal for your video files.

At first if you have loads of files in your shared directories it can casue the ps3 playback to come back out to the XMB. Just give Media Home some time to update the directory listings, then it will be silky smooth.

It was tested at a decent PC for SD avi files only so far, and they work fine. You might have issues if you have an old pc, as the trancoding can take up resources.

If you cant see any media on your PS3 after doing all this, try following:

Turn off the server and go to TOOLS - NERO SCOUT - INDEXING - FOLDERS and select the folders you want there. Then go back to the INDEXING tab and click INDEX NOW - this may take a while to do, if you have huge amounts of files, so as before just to get it working. When its done go to SHARED DIRECTORIES ICON in nero media home and select SHARE ALL CONTENT INDEXED BY NERO SCOUT

As it seems now it works quite fine for SD content, but stutters/fails at HD files, which is not surprising, giving the needed processor power for on-fly HD conversion.

For native HD MPEG2 files people are getting good streaming results with twonky vision media center http://www.twonkyvision.com/ but as of current it full of glitches when working with PS3, so I wouldnt recommend you to spend much time with it until they deliver a patch specifically for PS3. Same can be said about another popular DLNA streaming/transcoding solution TVersity http://tversity.com/.

There are also a bunch of freeware UPnP software that should allow streaming to PS3 as well, such as:

http://www.gnu.org/software/gmediaserver/
    http://ushare.geexbox.org/
    http://mediatomb.cc/
    http://www.cybergarage.org/net/cmgate/cc/index.html

You can look at them if you have enough free time and some skills. Most of them can also be compiled to Mac or Linux, but I wouldnt try to do.

Speaking of other OSes (will follow shortly).

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    You should give me some +rep for using my screen capture of Nero MediaHome that I have stored on my personal webspace! Good guide!

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Apprentice
    thats good but i dont have vista...i have xp and am rlly stuk
    **Britain's Most Successful Club**
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    JUSTICE FOR THE 96 - FREE MICHAEL SHIELDS - FORGIVE, NOT FORGET

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by the gaming legend View Post
    I use XP too, just use Nero MediaHome server which runs in your taskbar on your computer and allows the PS3 to pull stuff from it.

Apprentice
    nero media home server isnt free though, is it? im tight on cash and am lookin for freeware.

thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    nero media home server isnt free though, is it? im tight on cash and am lookin for freeware.

thanks
    No it sure isn't...but if you know where to look you can find it for free!

3gjgr
    Nope, you are not stuck. On XP, you can still download MP11, and much of the above explaination applies. The DLNA Server functionality is built into MP11, not really vista.

So for XP or Vista, MP11 is your quickest solution, for everything else, Win98, Linux, Mac OS, you either need Nero or some of the linux solutions listed above.
    This is a super sweet update, no more filled 60Gb HDD

Forum Elder

But isn't this only for Windows Vista tho.. What about Windows Xp.

Forum Elder

Quote Originally Posted by 3gjgr View Post
    Nope, you are not stuck. On XP, you can still download MP11, and much of the above explaination applies. The DLNA Server functionality is built into MP11, not really vista.

So for XP or Vista, MP11 is your quickest solution, for everything else, Win98, Linux, Mac OS, you either need Nero or some of the linux solutions listed above.
    This is a super sweet update, no more filled 60Gb HDD
    Really Sorry for the double post.. but where can you download MP11?

Super Elite

caugh:LimeWire:Cugh uh yah ill go pay for this right now
    -52"LCD 1080p 120hz Philips,
    -PC= MSI motherboard / AMD Athlon 64x2 Duel Core 5000+ 2.61 GHz / 3 gigs ram / NVIDI GeForce 9500GT / Light scribe DVD burner drive / 750GB 7200RPM HDD
    -Playstation3= 250 GIG
    Custom LED lit DuelShock3SixAxis and 3 SixAxis controller

Apprentice
    ive downloaded WM11 for my xp...but i dont know what to click on, or dont think its working properly...soory im really confused
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3gjgr
    Quote Originally Posted by PS3fan15 View Post
    Really Sorry for the double post.. but where can you download MP11?
    Well the official source for Media Player 11 is Microsoft's website. But if you click on windows update, and choose custom install, you should see the option to install MP 11, if it's not already on your Win XP PC. Vista came with MP 11.

Elite Member
    Does WMP11 Play all Video/audio files?

Apprentice
    will some1 cleveer please release a step by step guide on how to work it on windows xp, including download links for FREE software? ud get a hole host of rep
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

phranctoast
    download windows media player from MS website.

then go to Librabry/media sharing.

Make sure the PS3 is tunred on,

Media Sharing will find it.

Apply, and it should work!

do your music files have to be in the official "Shared Folder" on your C: drive?

my PS3 picks up the WMP server, but it only shows a few albums, most of which are empty.

all my music is on an external drive, as my C: drive is too small. any ideas how to get it to work?

Pots n' Pans Robot
    OMG I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS!! Thanks guys for all the infos!

BTW, Does anyone know if Nero 7(that like, comes with DVD burners) has this app in it?

Oh, and before anyone comes through and tries to rain on our parade im going to go ahead and spin this negative and get it over with like a whiny fannie:
    "umm...like...the 360 has SOOO been able to do this for a while...like...omg"
    Kevin Levine on Bioshock PS3: "...we’re not talking about any other versions right now."

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Organic_Shadow View Post
    OMG I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS!! Thanks guys for all the infos!

BTW, Does anyone know if Nero 7(that like, comes with DVD burners) has this app in it?

Oh, and before anyone comes through and tries to rain on our parade im going to go ahead and spin this negative and get it over with like a whiny fannie:
    "umm...like...the 360 has SOOO been able to do this for a while...like...omg"
    I *think* it comes with the OEM version, but I am not 100% sure since I have the full out version:

http://www.nero.com/nero7/eng/Nero_MediaHome.html

*Update*

From what I can tell online, the Nero 7 Essentials (OEM version that comes with DVD recorders) should have Nero MediaHome bundled with it, so you should be good to go!

http://www.pcmicrostore.com/PartDeta...p:1037409;pl:1

okay I've got all my files indexed and everything and I can see them, but I can't play .avi files. I tried it with it set to auto-transcode, then I set it to transcode it to MPEG-2, but when I try to play it on my PS3 it says "access to the media server has been denied, please check the settings in th emedia server." I can play MPEG files and mp3s just fine, has anyone else had this problem?

Some general hints for XP users:

If you have a 3rd party firewall go ahead and add the PS3's IP address to the "allow" category. I use Norton IS and I added my PS3's IP address just in case.

Make sure folder and file sharing is enabled.

You may try to set up a home network where you explicitly tell XP to allow other computers to connect to the one with all of your medial files on that. I have done this in the past and it has cleared up issues (not sure how but it has).
    The water is so yellow. I'm a healthy student.

Master Poster
    will some1 cleveer please release a step by step guide on how to work it on windows xp, including download links for FREE software? ud get a hole host of rep
    I'm using XP and the guide posted here will work. Nero 7 with mediahome came out for xp first. Also to try it, nero lets you download a 30 day trial with full features at their website. http://www.nero.com/enu/Downloads.html
    PS4|PS3|PS2|PS1|PSVITA|XBOX 360|XBOX|N64|3DS XL|DSi|Gameboy Advance|Gameboy Color|PC

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameware336 View Post
    caugh:LimeWire:Cugh uh yah ill go pay for this right now
    you don't have to download a cracked version. You can find a fully working serial just by searching on some serial/crack sites.(will not tell where)

Superior Member
    what video setting should I use for SD-res Xvid?
    PS3 (PAL)

"Motorstorm", "Resistance: Fall of Man".

Quote Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
    do your music files have to be in the official "Shared Folder" on your C: drive?

my PS3 picks up the WMP server, but it only shows a few albums, most of which are empty.

all my music is on an external drive, as my C: drive is too small. any ideas how to get it to work?
    i have the exact problem all my files are my external hard drive and i cant get my ps3 to see them

Forum Elder

I downloaded it from a microsoft site..

But it won't recognize my PS3.. what do I do? Not even as an unknown device.

Thread Information