Apprentice

Really want PSP but...

I have seen some sites say the PSP has 5hrs battery life which has kinda put me off . Anyway i was looking at this,
    http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/...y_battery_pack

and having trouble finding out much extra battery life it gives. Would really appreciate some1 kind enough to answer or knows of anything better to increase batt life.

Superior Member
    DUDE the psp rocks! my psp DIED! R.I.P. i miss you!...lol you should get one the price is way low so you should get one ASAP!

Elite Member
    5 hours? mine lasts a lot longer than that..I used to play a lot of poker on it.. at least 8 hours+..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sig/Avatar created by: ajrobin (thanks for all your hard work)

Apprentice
    it really depends on what you do with it....games and videos will use up more battery than other things but i think in general it will last more than 5 hours

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Harrow
    I can't remember the last time I played my PSP for over 3 hrs straight. That said, battery life hasn't been a problem for me. I just remember to charge it when I am done. If it was a problem I would buy a second battery, and maybe a charger. But as it is the AC adapter at home and my car charger handle things well.

Anyway it seems the battery on your link is 2200 mAh. It mentions nothing of extended life over the standard battery. You need to find a 3600 mAh battery like this one: http://www.boxwave.com/products/high...le-psp_556.htm

Actually that battery sticks out the back now that I looked closer at the pics. I have seen standard size batteries in the stores that claim to offer extended life over the standard battery, but I cannot seem to find one online.

Also there are a set of grips that make holding the PSP more comfortable and it has a built in battery that can extend the PSP battery. And there are power bricks you can buy which act as a portable charger once charged. I received one as a gift but it fried when I went to charge it again.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    You can get over 40+ hours with the screen off playing MP3's, So far the only thing that kills the battery life is online play. But this can be fixed with a 2400mHa battery or even just a backup battery.

The Batteries themselfs only take about 2hrs to charge, compared with the 6+ hours of gameplay thats pretty sweet if you ask me.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Forum Guru
    Keep in mind, the psp doesn't need a real long battery life cuz it charges really fast too. Most people won't play it for 5-6 hours solid...play for a couple hours and then plug it in for an hour and it's back to full charge.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    It's not that battery you should be worrying about, it's the games.

Here are my 2 personal best picks for fun and gameplay. Also with the screen brightness on level 4, these are are absolutely stunning with colour.

Worms: Open Warefare

Lemmings:

Note: Lemmings has a list of downloadable content giveing you endless hours of fun. I think you can also make your own levels.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Dedicated Member
    man I want a psp now, thats the first thing I'm buying when i get a job this summer.

Super Elite
    Items Atari
    I think my psp has great battery life, with just a stock battery. If you get an aftermarket battery, it should last even longer. Just remember to keep it charged!
    During E3 I check out the booth babes, and if that's wrong...then maybe I'm missing the point of E3

Elite Guru
    With ALL rechargable batteries the instructions say you should first charge the battery fully before use, it dosent matter that the battery already has power ehn you get it. this is only dont to keep the power cell alive during shipping and storage. Once you've fully charged the battery make sure you run it completely down before charging. this will insure the battery dosent give off a false empty signal to the unit causing it to shut down on you. make sure you do this several times and making sure not to charge it before it's fully empty and things should work out fine.

For even better life:
    -Get the 3500mAh battery
    -Keep your screen brightness on something other than the highest setting
    -Keep the wifi switch off when not using it
    -Make sure you dont stay in sleep mode for extented periods of time. Instead, quit out of a game when you'd sure you're done playing for the day if at all possible and shut it down completely.

These steps will drastically increase your play time. I have the larger capacity battery and I easily get about 8 hours play time and frankly that's only a couple hours less than the DS or GBA-SP so you can stop worrying about battery life if you're an intelligent and rational person.

These suggestions also count for the PS3 sixaxis controller.

Super Elite
    The 'short battery life' on the PSP has been no problem for me whatsoever. In fact, it's all baloney! Battery life if find and heck, just get a dock-style charger so when you get home you can just sit it back on it's charger ready for you to head out next time. Bloody brilliant piece of hardware as well. Getting so much power in such a small form factor... in 2004 was technical innovation of the highest order and it most definitely deserves to sell better because it also does have great games!

"Winners Don't Do Fanboyism"
    Wii # 3403 5616 4484 2777
    Nihongo dekimasu ka?

Apprentice
    Thanks for all the replies looks like its not a problem especially if as one of you said it can last a long time playing mp3's I guess that 5hrs is if your doing the most battery intensive thing possible.

Ill probably buy one soon and maybe a better batt in future as spare when travelling long distances.

ive got wireless internet at home so when ive been using net or wateva, i always switch off wlan its saves a heck of alot of power, just a tip for online play or web

Superior Member
    Battery life has never been a problem with me. It is the thing PSP haters use to slam it, along with loading times. They forget we have sleep mode.

ok im thinking about getting a psp but what can u do with it that u cant with the ps3...

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    DynamicSun
    It can do almost the same what the Playstation 3 can do,but misses somethings,because it's a handheld console,but it's so good to own one;as i do have one dude.

Mr. Ten-A-Key!
    Items User name style
    If you want to go old school arcade pick up Metal Slug: Anthology. Metal Slug FTW!

ajw204
    it has all these 'cool' features that i never take advantage of. my gf got it for my bday a few years ago, and i dont' even touch it anymore. i personally think the ds is a better choice, if you want to have FUN playing games. if you're into that extra stuff that i dont' really care about, then i guess the PSP is a good choice.

im into music movies gaming and obviously internet so my psp's all my entertainment in one, at least until i get a ps3

Thread Information