Super Elite

PSP In-game music?? Whaaaa???

So I received my latest issue of PSM Magazine yesterday and was browsing through it when I came across a bit on the Crazy Taxi game for PSP. I read through it and found it interesting that it says you can play music off of your Pro Duo in-game. Is this a sign of things to come for the PS3? Or has the PSP always been able to do this but no games supported it?

Dedicated Member
    It's a feature that should've been implemented since day 1.

Unfortunately, most games do not support the mp3 playback feature in-game. I'm not sure if there are any out there that actually do.

I don't know if it's a memory issue or what, but my modified/custom firmware allows me to listen to my mp3's while in-game, but the game lags a little when using the default CPU speed (222mhz).

Just incase you didn't know, the PSP has been underclocked to 222mhz to save battery life. You can't change it to 333mhz unless you have a custom firmware :/

Superior Member

Upon playing the Toca demo, I saw an option or a message at the end of the demo saying that you can use your custom tracks. Check out the demo to see if it has it maybe? But yeah I wish all games had this.
    Games: Motorstorm, MS: PR, Oblivion, Uncharted, WarHawk, COD 3&4, MGS4, UT3, SingStar, BF: BC, Burnout Paradise, RFOM, R2, LBP, FarCry2, SOCOM
    Waiting For: Killzone2, FFvsXIII, Infamous,

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Psypher View Post
    It's a feature that should've been implemented since day 1.

Unfortunately, most games do not support the mp3 playback feature in-game. I'm not sure if there are any out there that actually do.
    :/
    NBA Live 07 can. I don't know if any other games support it though

Super Elite
    well you can stream mp3's and.. well... everything on your HDD in PS3's home-thing. I'm sure they can impliment it into games if they can impliment it into that.

Hey i just though of something. Wouldn't it be cool in home to have headphone on, and listen to music as you walk around?

But the cool thin about it is that when ppl walk by you, they can faintly hear the music ur listening to? oo... sweet little feature, I think haha

PS3 games owned
    Resistance fall of man
    Tekken 5 DR
    Motorstorm

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    You can also do it in the new WipeOut game, i dunno the name... but it has this feature.

In my opinion, custome music on a handheld is a zillion times better then anything Nintendo has offered this gen.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Electronic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    You can also do it in the new WipeOut game, i dunno the name... but it has this feature.

In my opinion, custome music on a handheld is a zillion times better then anything Nintendo has offered this gen.
    Really? I'll have to take a look see, and see if I can do it. I didn't have any songs on my PSP before, so I don't know. It's been a while since I've played WipeOut, I never did beat it.

I think it could be a sign of things to come. While it might be totally different architectures, I think it would be fairly easy to implement things from the PSP to the PS3, and vice versa.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ever since my experience points went into triple digits, I've had to keep the ladies and valkyries away with a +3 two handed broadsword.

Elite Guru
    I have been saying it since DAY FREAKING ONE. It's not a question of hardware or OS allowing you to play your own music it's a matter of lazy develoeprs that dont allow the feature to be used. Def Jam ICON for the PS3 could have dont the same damn thing the 36- did EA was just to lazy to implement an MP3 playback system to access the harddrive.

The PSP is perfectly capable of doing this. GTA for the PSP allows it too but it forces you to convert your music to a certain format. Hell they asked in surveys early in the PSP's life if people would pay to put custom soundtracks in their games and presumably more people said no to paying which is why it never caught on and the free streaming feature MS implemented caught on. Sony still thinking hey couldnt get people to buy music for their games probably decided that it wasnt worth making a specific function for the PS3 but instead giving us the Hard drive so if a developer wanted to they could do it themselves.

I've been saying this for month but no one ever listens to logic.

Hasn't anyone played GTA Liberty City Stories on the PSP. You can download the custom track editor off the game website and add custom tracks on the PSP and that games been out for at least a year and a half. There's nothing like driving to KORN in GTA.
    PS3: 60gb TV: 37" Polaroid LCD
    http://clawson3.photosite.com/

Yeah, the GTA is right, but you still need to do some format converting.
    By the Way, I heard there are some plugin for these OE firmwares that let you play your MS MP3's while you are playing a game.

Thread Information