Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Master Guru

Quote Originally Posted by zetsurin View Post
    Actually, I find your statements a little contradictory. Sony AND Microsoft missed the mark in Japan. With respect to sales the PS3 is only slightly less dead in Japan than the 360. The numbers are as plain as day. So, using your same argument the PS3 is not worth mentioning in Japan, so how about a light snack of stfu with respect to the PS3 in Japan for precisely the same reason you say discussing the 360 over there is a sensitive taboo matter for you.

So it's basically ok to lay smack on Sony performance but when the crap comes back in your direction you decide you want to adjust the goal posts? Microsoft tried REALLY hard to win Japan this round it was obvious to me when I first arrived at Tokyo Game Show 05, so let's keep those goal posts cemented down.
    Discussing the 360 is not taboo for me, I will debate all day long about it if you like. My point is Microsoft and XBox have, and most probably always will, do shockingly poor in Japan, that isn't news. Nobody is surprised by this.

The fact that Sony, much loved in Japan, can be outsold by Nintendo who did rather bad compared to Sony last gen is alot more newsworthy - I certainly didn't expect it to happen whereas the 360, I did.

Oh, here's your snack back, it has your name on it .

Elite Member
    Seems ok, Nintendo rules.. But Sony still shipped 44951 more consoles than MS that week.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Game View Post
    That is how they make them selves feel good. Other wise they feel they invested in something that may not make it.
    May not make what..? It already made for me and did so in the 1.8 update.. I bought it for BlueRay and Mediastreaming.. games are just an extra for me.. and not really that importent.

Dedicated Member
    http://joshuajamesslone.name/gamecha...cker%5B5%5D=mc

It seems apparent that the Wii has taken Japan this gen, time for Sony to try and consolidate their domination of Europe and make more inroads into Microsoft's lead in the US.

To put it into perspective in case anyone has any doubts about the Wii's dominance; if Nintendo stopped selling it Wii in Japan today, it would still take 188 weeks for the PS3 to catch it at the current rates.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

How does this work? I thought the Wii was such a hot-ticket? Hell, i bought one at launch.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Master Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post

How does this work? I thought the Wii was such a hot-ticket? Hell, i bought one at launch.
    They had supply problems initially. If you notice the line is getting closer and closer to the PS2's. Won't be long before it passes it. Just imagine when something big like Mario is released.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Light View Post
    The X360 hasnt sold since they entered the Japanese market, and yet people still post, "its beating X360". It a meaningless statement.
    So is posting the statement "Wii is beating the PS3". It's a tired statement but it still deserves a discussion.

IMO the Wii is still in hype phase. I am just waiting for the hpe to calm down and see how the Wii sells then.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Faceless View Post
    So is posting the statement "Wii is beating the PS3". It's a tired statement but it still deserves a discussion.

IMO the Wii is still in hype phase. I am just waiting for the hpe to calm down and see how the Wii sells then.
    Personally I think we need to wait for the PS3 hype to build up rather than wait for Wii hype to die down. How fast has the DS hype died down? It probably never will!

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
    Personally I think we need to wait for the PS3 hype to build up rather than wait for Wii hype to die down. How fast has the DS hype died down? It probably never will!
    Touche. I just don't see the good games now or in the future for the Wii. It must be just me. I don't understand how many times you can play a rehashed mario, or metroid, or zelda, or mario spinoff. I love all of the original games but it is just getting old.

I am wondering if Home and some big releases will hype the PS3 enough to catch up. Hell I could care less if it ever catches up I just want to be able to play the games I bought the PS3 for.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by FinalEvangelion View Post
    I was half way joking with my post earlier.

But in reality, for an economy in a much worse state than the US with extreme cost of living, it's doing ok for its price tag. It's actually selling at a much higher per-capita rate than the US.
    So that would mean in the USA it's selling less than 12,000 per week?

The Japanese population being 2/3 of the US population and all that?

Dedicated Member
    Touche. I just don't see the good games now or in the future for the Wii. It must be just me. I don't understand how many times you can play a rehashed mario, or metroid, or zelda, or mario spinoff. I love all of the original games but it is just getting old.

I am wondering if Home and some big releases will hype the PS3 enough to catch up. Hell I could care less if it ever catches up I just want to be able to play the games I bought the PS3 for.
    I didn't mean it in a critical way against the PS3. The Wii hype is due to the new type of controller, people want to try it and it's engaging to non-gamers. The PS3 hype is a lot more subjective, it's not possible to hype something on better graphics, or improved AI when the current crop of games clearly do not demonstrate this.

The reason I say that the PS3 hype is more subjective is that there have been some exceptional quality games on the PS2 already and the consumer must decide whether the jump in graphics/AI is worth the extra investment.

With the cost of game development going up, you can be sure that the games you want will be on the PS3, but many are also likely to be on the X360 to defer development costs. If you are happy with this then great, if not, then this gen is going to be a hard slog for you. I just hope that developers get the best out of each console and do not drop to the lowest common denominator.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
    I didn't mean it in a critical way against the PS3. The Wii hype is due to the new type of controller, people want to try it and it's engaging to non-gamers. The PS3 hype is a lot more subjective, it's not possible to hype something on better graphics, or improved AI when the current crop of games clearly do not demonstrate this.

The reason I say that the PS3 hype is more subjective is that there have been some exceptional quality games on the PS2 already and the consumer must decide whether the jump in graphics/AI is worth the extra investment.

With the cost of game development going up, you can be sure that the games you want will be on the PS3, but many are also likely to be on the X360 to defer development costs. If you are happy with this then great, if not, then this gen is going to be a hard slog for you. I just hope that developers get the best out of each console and do not drop to the lowest common denominator.
    Funny, In a previous post in another thread just a little while ago I said basically the same thing. I am more than happy to have all next gen games come out on both systems just as long as the ports either way are decent, not just a quick release to try and make a buck.

Master Guru
    Firmly attached to Ayane's boobies WAHAHAHAHAHA!
    PSN ID
    ShinMaruku
    Yep its scary. I still don't get this fad with the Wii. People say the PS3 is over priced yet the Wii is even more so.
    It's simple really. The wii is over priced yes but compare it to the PS3 and you will see what I'm talking about but compare money goin in and it's about the same... XD
    But really there are a few easy reasons:
    1. Price $500+ to $200 is a wallop.
    2. The wii has crap coming out for it very frequently for it.
    3. Nintendo has lined up a perfect storm for Japan, the DS has revialtized Japan's gaming market and they are selling the wii of that hype.

While Sony
    1. It's too much
    2. There has been litrerally no games for weeks
    3. No FF they time FF with their newer pricing structure they'll have a storm they need some Square stuff and some creative stuff and they'll have their own storm.

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    PS3 8,998 they need to get some games out or a price drop.
    i cant waite to see the npd for america on the 16.
    i have a bad feeling that the ps3 will sell under 80k here agian

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    FIREKNIGHT2029
    Once the PS3 gets FFXIII it will be game over for the haters.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woy View Post
    Once the PS3 gets FFXIII it will be game over for the haters.
    FFXIII without doubt will be the biggest PS3 game in Japan next year, but will it really be enough to buck the 6:1 sales ratio currently in favour of the Wii? For a few weeks possibly, but I don't think it will be a permanent change in sales patterns.

Elite Member
    To sum it all up Ps3 is in a huge slump right now. Well actually is it possible to be in a slump if you never got going? I remember the same things happening with the PS2, and I know it has been said many many times over again, but it is what people need to remember. I have a feeling Sony is doing exactly what they want to be doing. Why waste money on advertising right now when there is nothing to advertise? Wait for the games to come and then get the ball rolling.

Personally, like I have said before, it does not matter to me if Sony,MS, or Ninty have the #1 spot for consoles sold. The games are still going to come out regardless. If not guess what you can do...... buy a new system and play play play until your content.

Croweater
    Quote Originally Posted by natureman3 View Post
    This is not only linked to ps3 : the state of gaming in Japan is depressing.
    From the mouth of miyamoto : he recognized that Zelda as sold less than their targets, japanese are fond of cheap and party games.
    That's true but Eiji Aonuma (director of the game) has said since 2004 that the game is more American influenced and is targeted towards an American audience. Nintendo will continue to make their big epic games, to put it into perspective..Twilight Princess is the 3rd best selling Zelda game behind the original and OOT (a game many consider to be the best game of all time) so it's not all doom and gloom for us western gamers. I just hope that the small devs/publishers will be able to compete.

Superior Member

I remember the same things happening with the PS2, and I know it has been said many many times over again, but it is what people need to remember.
    Umm..not exactly. The PS3 has failed to sell in Japan in its first 6 months what the PS2 sold in its first 24 hours. At 6 months, the PS2 sold 3 times as many systems as the PS3 has in Japan. The PS2 was never outsold in its first 2 years in Japan, the PS3 has yet to be number 1 for a sales period. I don't think the situations are similar at all.
    For the PS3 to overtake the 360 by December 2007, it would have to outsell the 360 by 1.75M units a month worldwide. 7 million lead/4 months
    By 12/08-437,500/month By 12/09 - 250,000/month
    By 12/10 - 175,000/month As of 9-20-07

It does not matter to me how many units the Wii shifts, it won't have the kind of games I want to play this gen. The PS3 will.

Once the PS3 has a must have title (MSG4) and 3 or 4 other good solid titles (Hot Shots Golf, Ninja Gaiden, Folksoul) the numbers will pick up. I imagine the number of people waiting to buy a PS3 is absolutely huge.

I bought my PS3 at launch and am very happy with it but lets be honest, there is little to no reason to buy a PS3 at the moment. I actually think that 3 million units sold worldwide is pretty good considering the price and current software library.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    FIREKNIGHT2029
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnorman View Post
    It does not matter to me how many units the Wii shifts, it won't have the kind of games I want to play this gen. The PS3 will.

Once the PS3 has a must have title (MSG4) and 3 or 4 other good solid titles (Hot Shots Golf, Ninja Gaiden, Folksoul) the numbers will pick up. I imagine the number of people waiting to buy a PS3 is absolutely huge.

I bought my PS3 at launch and am very happy with it but lets be honest, there is little to no reason to buy a PS3 at the moment. I actually think that 3 million units sold worldwide is pretty good considering the price and current software library.
    I feel the same way about the PS3 right now.

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnorman View Post
    I think there are more reasons to buy one then people give the system credit for. I just don't see Sony doing a good job of telling people that. They are to focused on the future and not right now, that is the PS3/Sony's biggest problem.

But there are games out there for it. People just have to look at that before they buy and make up their own mind. But there is a reason to buy a PS3 at this time, it just depends on you wallet and what interests you.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    FIREKNIGHT2029
    Except for Motorstorm, Resistance, VF5 and Oblivion the the PS3 doesn't have much. I'm sure as soon Heavenly Sword, Lair, NGS, Warhawk, haze, Uncharted etc. come out the PS3 will sales will pick up.

Master Guru
    Firmly attached to Ayane's boobies WAHAHAHAHAHA!
    PSN ID
    ShinMaruku
    I think there are more reasons to buy one then people give the system credit for. I just don't see Sony doing a good job of telling people that. They are to focused on the future and not right now, that is the PS3/Sony's biggest problem.

But there are games out there for it. People just have to look at that before they buy and make up their own mind. But there is a reason to buy a PS3 at this time, it just depends on you wallet and what interests you.
    Completly correct. That's how it is.

Master Poster
    if ninja sigma, or other games on junes not boost ps3 sales into at least 30K, then PS3 have serious problem, maybe actually PS3 have better sales at western market. not on nintendo's land.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thread Information