Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Apprentice
    true that... most of the time it's EDTV or HD READY (aka 480p) tvs...

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Xerious View Post
    i agree, anyone using walmart as their sole outlet for consumer electronics probably doesn't have all the stuff he/she would need for the full HD experience... BUT... i do see walmart upping their ante a little... the last time i was in walmart there was a definate change in their displays (80% were flat LCD). how many were 1080p? i do not know... maybe hicks, migrants, and ghettofabs might get in on the blu-ray train??
    True my friends dad who is loaded (owns two Porsche's and a Ferrari) bought there DLP from Costco, and he also goes there sometimes for lunch, lol.
    "I only regret that I have but one life to give my country."-CPT Hale
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."-George Orwell

Apprentice
    costco is differs from walmart drastically... they actually make you pay to get your savings...

Dedicated Member

I think with this you have to consider the uk as well. Wal-mart owns Asda. Although some would not go down to the local grocery store to buy electronic goods in the uk that happens more due to the cheap bargain sales on offer. You can get a terrific deal. In the uk there main rival is Tesco. Both have significant market power.

I have to admit I have bought my electrical goods as you can get some real bargains even on leading brands. If you know what you want its a good deal. However if you need to go and ask advice its a no no. Basically go with a pen and paper take down models. Go home and do some research on the web and then go back to buy the best deal.

If my local walmart starts selling blu-rays I might buy them, if they are less expensive than Amazon.
    As soon as more people start buying them @ Walmart the price will drop, and HDDVD will really be dead when they get kicked to the curb.

I think Walmart and Sony partnering up is good for 2 reasons
    1. Walmart can start attracting customers who would ordinarilly shop @ Best Buy or Circuit City, start shedding it's "low rent" image.

2.Obviously, more exposure leading to more market penetration for blue ray, Hdtv in general and the sony brand.

This summer is probably a test run of sorts to see if Sony is the right vehicle to take them in the direction they want to go in.

Apprentice
    i dont know if the walmart here still has BR.. i was there about a week ago and bought apocalypto.. for 24.99 i think that was the price for all the BR's that they had.. havnt been back since so i cant say if walmart still has them on the shelves.. but great price compared to what i've paid elsewhere
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] THIS SEXY 335i BMW and PS3 60gb PSN ID: Nate0409
    Madden 08, NBA 2k7, nba 2k8, Genji, Tony Hawk,FNR3 ,NFS:C, VF5, R:FOM, Virtual Tennis 3, Spiderman CE, Warhawk, Heavenly Sword, RockBand,COD4,AC:::: BR: Apocolypto,Talladega Nights, Black Hawk Down, Saw III, X-men, 300, 28 weeks later,RE1-3

Superior Member
    Our local Walmart barely carries Blu-Ray bc according to the CE clerk "nobody wants to pay $30 for a movie" to which I laughed. I was hoping for something like this as they may sell movies cheaper than even Best Buy. We have a store around here called Meijer that sells Blu-Ray movies for 6-7 bucks cheaper than everybody with few exceptions.

Dedicated Member
    Good news. My local Wal-mart seems to love Blu-ray, they have a pretty good selection of new releases and some older stuff. For my town, the order of selection goes: 1) Best Buy 2) Wal-mart 3) Target 4) Circuit City (no HD formats of any kind at local store).

BadAndy
    I have yet to see Blu-Rays at Walmart. Then again I never shop there really...

Veteran
    Sam's Club (Walmart's warehouse store) has only bluray on display already... They don't sell any movies, except a small (like 3 movies) collection next to the games... And about the same number of HD-DVDs...

I don't think Walmart's really jumped onto the HDTV bandwagon yet.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by bobtheduck View Post
    Sam's Club (Walmart's warehouse store) has only bluray on display already... They don't sell any movies, except a small (like 3 movies) collection next to the games... And about the same number of HD-DVDs...

I don't think Walmart's really jumped onto the HDTV bandwagon yet.
    Sounds like Wal-mart has probably left the decision to store managers if they support HD at all. Considering wide differences maybe this will change over this news.

Although I cannot speak about american wal-mart and don't know what influence they pose onto there british owned ASDA.

Here in my town they do sell HD. Infact its the only supermarket here to support HD still and cheap average price 17.99. Last I saw there was roughly 20 titles and ONLY 5 HD-DVD.

The only other place I have found to support HD is HMV. When you consider some of the so called electrical stores in my town are willing to sell hardware yet reluctant to sell the movies. This poses a major issue and why people will support Wal-mart/ASDA.

As you can get everything under the one roof the player and a few movies there and then. No searching shop to shop to go and find elusive films. I think this can also be off putting to newbies. Not everybody willing to goto the net to buy. In larger populated area's its less of problem but smallish towns this is where HD might struggle to get a foot hold.

Apprentice
    walmart here still has BR's and they are still 24.99 quite a few selections to choose from them.. they did move them around to where they have the new release DVD's at.. they were hidden before.. i live in a small town and we have a walmart and a lowes hahaha.. its pathetic.. but since we have a naval base in this town..we tend to get alot of good tech stuff out here to compete with the exchange on base.. so im thinking thats why BR's are doing good out here... hopefully it stays this way
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] THIS SEXY 335i BMW and PS3 60gb PSN ID: Nate0409
    Madden 08, NBA 2k7, nba 2k8, Genji, Tony Hawk,FNR3 ,NFS:C, VF5, R:FOM, Virtual Tennis 3, Spiderman CE, Warhawk, Heavenly Sword, RockBand,COD4,AC:::: BR: Apocolypto,Talladega Nights, Black Hawk Down, Saw III, X-men, 300, 28 weeks later,RE1-3

Electronic Warrior
    Has WalMart even started carrying Blu-rays yet? If not, I would hope they would start. Otherwise they will be on the back end of the wave.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ever since my experience points went into triple digits, I've had to keep the ladies and valkyries away with a +3 two handed broadsword.

Elite Sage

I wouldn't mind going to Walmart to save a few bucks on a BD. Sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by nate0409 View Post
    walmart here still has BR's
    Our Walmart still doesn't have them, but I hope they get them in soon.

Thread Information