Page 3 of 256 FirstFirst ... 313 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Thread

Forum Guru
    First ESPN is the king of Rumors. They will make up anything to get ratings.

Kobe: First off, Jerry Buss has said no to trading Kobe, no matter what Kobe says or does. Why would you trade him if your the Lakers? You didn't get equal value for Shaq, and you sure as hell won't get equal for Kobe. No team is willing to give up their players for one man.

Second, Kobe's brings in cash. Trading him would result in season ticket holders being pissed. Kobe is the main attraction at home and away. His jersey was #1 in sales. Kobe and Lakers sell out everywhere they go. If you can't get a star back in return than whats the point?

Third, Kobe will play even if nothing happens. If he refuses, than the Lakers can suspend him without pay.

Garnett: Everyone in Garnett camp has said that he wants to go to a warm weather city, but no where mentions the Suns or any team. Its ESPN at it again. Marion does not want to go to Boston or Minnesota. Suns would be stupid to give up Amare, and would make no sense in giving up your future.

There are alot of things floating around, but I believe nothing will happen. Everyone will remain with their teams, but I do believe the Lakers are the only team that will make a major move.

PS360 OWNER! Enjoying the Best of Both Worlds
    <-- Revenge of the Fallen

Master Sage
    ^Yea but fans can only be mad for so long. It happened here in AZ even though in a differnt sport with Gonzo. Everyone bought tickets to see him, his jersey was number one selling merchandise and our games, and everyone loved him. Then when we decided to get rid of him every single dback fans got pissed but they all came back when the team started winning this season.

Im not saying this kobe thing is likely at all, but fans will be fans. Yes he is an Icon in LA but with him whining all the time and ticking off managment is it worth it?

What i think they should do is wait for a team to acquire a certian player thats really good to combine with the already good player, like for EXAMPLE suns acquiring garnet and keeping marion, then go to the suns and say "You want kobe then give us garnet and marion" Thats the only way i see Kobe leaving LA...Otherwise he is stuck there and he can wine all he wants no one cares. (Please dont say crap about the suns example i know it wont happen it was just an example)

VOTE FOR JOHN McCAIN!
    The night was never so fearfull....

Elite Member
    This is very simple guys...very simple...

Name a decade in which the Lakers didn't have a Superstar...I mean Hall of Fame Superstar...can't think of one can you?

90s
    Bryant
    O'Neal

80s
    James Worthy
    Magic Johnson
    Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

70s
    Gail Goodrich
    Wilt Chamberlain

60s
    Jerry West
    Elgin Baylor

50s
    George Mikan

The Lakers are the Lakers because they have THAT star...that star that defines the NBA. Marion...Garnett...Arenas...who in their right mind say these names within the same breath of the above listed.

Fact, Kobe fills seats...Marion, Garnett, Arenas, Gordon, Deng, Pierce don't.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Why should the lakers keep Kobe if he said he wants to leave and bashes the organization and his teamates

As a laker fan i am thankful for the championships but you have to trade him and get young talent back before you lose him in two years for nothing
    yeah i know i'm sexy

[SIGPIC]C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\My Documents\My Pictures\th_hamburgler.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Master Sage
    The Lakers are the Lakers because they have THAT star...that star that defines the NBA. Marion...Garnett...Arenas...who in their right mind say these names within the same breath of the above listed.

Fact, Kobe fills seats...Marion, Garnett, Arenas, Gordon, Deng, Pierce don't.
    ESPN says otherwise lol, they think Garnett has the potential of being the next big thing but cant reach it on his current team. As for Marion not filling seats say that here in AZ when you see the sold out crowd wearing marion shirts.

Your right though they always have that one good guy on their team but i think its something to do with the lakers. They hype up the player, do everything they can to make him good, then do whatever they can to advertise him to sells seats. I mean put kobe on say the suns and he wont be the center of attention, he wont be the only playmaker, he wont touch the ball on every play, and he wont get his way because he is with other great guys that will soon if not already are the face of the NBA, of course im talking Nash and Amare.

VOTE FOR JOHN McCAIN!

jakncoke
    Arenas , Garnet, Pierce dont fill seats? Right..../sarcasm , ppl just ignore the best player on the team , right?

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonbay View Post
    Arenas , Garnet, Pierce dont fill seats? Right..../sarcasm , ppl just ignore the best player on the team , right?
    No, they don't. Do people go to Wizards, Wolves, or Celtics games to watch them...no, and I swear by that. I'm not denying their outstanding talent, but Kobe is just a level above them in terms of star appeal. And, if you stick any one of those three players on the Lakers two things will happen:

1. They won't attract the same number of people to the arena as Kobe did.

2. They won't win any more games with the Lakers than Kobe did.

If Garnet and Pierce can't carry their current lineup to the playoffs than how in the world are they going to carry the Lakers into the playoffs. Pierce especially, he can't even get into the playoffs in the East...out of the worse division in NBA history.

As for Arenas, people were arguing with me two/three months ago that he wasn't even the star of the team...Jaminson was. What does that tell you about his star quality?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

jakncoke
    Quote Originally Posted by Hippo View Post
    No, they don't. Do people go to Wizards, Wolves, or Celtics games to watch them...no, and I swear by that. I'm not denying their outstanding talent, but Kobe is just a level above them in terms of star appeal. And, if you stick any one of those three players on the Lakers two things will happen:

1. They won't attract the same number of people to the arena as Kobe did.

2. They won't win any more games with the Lakers than Kobe did.

If Garnet and Pierce can't carry their current lineup to the playoffs than how in the world are they going to carry the Lakers into the playoffs. Pierce especially, he can't even get into the playoffs in the East...out of the worse division in NBA history.

As for Arenas, people were arguing with me two/three months ago that he wasn't even the star of the team...Jaminson was. What does that tell you about his star quality?
    ahh yes they do and I double swear by that making my statement 130% more accurrate than your claim. Sure ppl are going to watch Kobe more as much as I hate to admit it but he's better than them star wise and talent wise and although he had Shaq he still won 3 rings which is 3x more than all 3 of those guys have done. And umm that last statement..well you were just discussing with a bunch a morons...thats about all I can say on that matter. And to comment on your paragraph about above the Arenas not a star , Im not talking about where they'd go if they got traded ...im just saying alot of ppl go to games to see those 3 ..and they do you may think otherwise but they do.

Elite Member
    ahh yes they do and I double swear by that making my statement 130% more accurrate than your claim. Sure ppl are going to watch Kobe more as much as I hate to admit it but he's better than them star wise and talent wise and although he had Shaq he still won 3 rings which is 3x more than all 3 of those guys have done. And umm that last statement..well you were just discussing with a bunch a morons...thats about all I can say on that matter. And to comment on your paragraph about above the Arenas not a star , Im not talking about where they'd go if they got traded ...im just saying alot of ppl go to games to see those 3 ..and they do you may think otherwise but they do.
    I still don't think Arenas, Garnett, or Pierce can sell as many tickets as Kobe does in LA and when the team isn't doing well. Lakers games still sell out often because people want to go watch Kobe put up 50...60 points. I don't think the same can be said for Arenas, Garnett, and Pierce. When the Wizards sucked two years ago no one went to see the games, espcially not just to see Arenas play. Same can't be said for Kobe. Its even easier to make a case for Garnett and Pierce.

Fact remains, when the Lakers come to someone's home team the likelyhood of someone going to that game just to see Kobe is high...a lot higher than someone going to go see their home team play the Wizards, Wolves, or Celtics just to see Arenas, Garnett, and Pierce.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Master Poster
    I still don't think Arenas, Garnett, or Pierce can sell as many tickets as Kobe does in LA and when the team isn't doing well. Lakers games still sell out often because people want to go watch Kobe put up 50...60 points. I don't think the same can be said for Arenas, Garnett, and Pierce. When the Wizards sucked two years ago no one went to see the games, espcially not just to see Arenas play. Same can't be said for Kobe. Its even easier to make a case for Garnett and Pierce.

Fact remains, when the Lakers come to someone's home team the likelyhood of someone going to that game just to see Kobe is high...a lot higher than someone going to go see their home team play the Wizards, Wolves, or Celtics just to see Arenas, Garnett, and Pierce.
    LMAO wasn't it Arenas who dropped 60 against the lakers last season. hmmm...he wouldn't sell tickets...
    UndecideD likes talking from a 3rd person perspective

Currently playing:F1ce and MLB 07 THE SHOW,WARHAWK AND HALO3
    PSN ID: executioner124 -I ACCEPT ALL FRIEND REQUESTS

^ My Gamertag

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UndecideD View Post
    LMAO wasn't it Arenas who dropped 60 against the lakers last season. hmmm...he wouldn't sell tickets...
    You're basing that off one game...

Kobe Bryan jersey sales: 1st
    Gilbert Arenas jersey sales: 8th

If you think replacing Arenas with Bryant on the Lakers would replicate the same ticket sales you are insane. Whether you like him or not, and I think thats why so many of you are so delusional, Kobe Bryant (along with Wade and James) is leaps and bounds a more marketable player than Arenas.

Along with ticket sales, Arenas just flat out isn't as good as Bryant. And don't BS me with how Gilbert gets his team more involved, he only averaged half an assist more than Bryant this year. Plus, lets not forget, Arenas plays basketball in the JV league.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Forum Elder
    Quote:
    The owners of the Lakers and Minnesota Timberwolves have begun talks for a trade that would involve sending Kevin Garnett to the Lakers, league sources said Monday.

A multi-team trade discussion is underway involving the Lakers, Indiana, Minnesota and possibly a fourth team, with the Lakers getting Garnett and the Pacers getting Lamar Odom and teenage center Andrew Bynum from the Lakers. Another minor player will likely be added to make the deal work financially.

Jerry Buss and Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor spoke by phone for 20 minutes Friday. Buss reportedly ended the conversation by suggesting that Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak and Timberwolves vice president of basketball operations Kevin McHale would continue the discussion Monday.

Such a move could address the concerns of Kobe Bryant, who has demanded to be traded for more than four weeks.

Bryant met with Kupchak for about an hour Friday, a day after Garnett rejected a trade that would have sent him to Boston.

Bryant did not step down from his desire to be traded. However, Kupchak, Buss and Lakers Coach Phil Jackson met later that day to discuss options based on the assumption they would still have Bryant, The Times has learned.

Garnett, 31, has never formally asked for a trade while signaling his distress in recent years as the Timberwolves fell from top-notch status. The No. 1-seeded team in the Western Conference in 2004, they lost to the Lakers in the West finals and haven't made the playoffs since then.

The Timberwolves finished 33-49 in 2005-06 and 32-50 last season, tied for 12th in the West with Portland.

Garnett can opt out of his contract after next season. He wants an extension, which Buss reportedly told Taylor he was willing to offer. Garnett is due to earn $22 million next season and $23 million in 2008-09, the last year of his contract.

Garnett, a 10-time All-Star, averaged 22.4 points, 12.8 rebounds, 4.1 assists and 1.7 blocked shots last season while showing few signs of slowing down, other than spending the last five games of the season in Los Angeles he has a home in Malibu to rest a sore right quadriceps.

Bynum, 19, started his second NBA season with a flurry, including a memorable game again Minnesota in which he had 20 points,14 rebounds and three blocked shots last November.

But Bynum struggled during the second half of the season and finished with averages of 7.8 points and 5.9 rebounds a game. The Lakers have been criticized by Bryant for not trading Bynum at the February trade deadline in order to get Jason Kidd from New Jersey.

Odom, 27, was acquired three years ago as part of the trade that sent Shaquille O'Neal to Miami.

He averaged 15.9 points, 9.8 rebounds and 4.8 assists last season and missed 26 games because of knee and shoulder injuries. He had a torn labrum in his left shoulder repaired last month and is expected to return in time for training camp in October.
    If this goes down, it will go down as the best offseason ever.

Elite Sage
    Items Metal Gear Solid
    Billups is gone..... he is now a free agent... this is Ben Wallace all over again.

Detroit was a better team than the Cavs, but Flip and the negativity of the team screwed them in the post season.
    You cannot mess with the greatness that is Lupe Fiasco
    PSN ID - WrathofAres
    Send me a friend request
    Now.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by SE fanboy View Post
    [URL="http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers26jun26,1,6107504.story?coll=la-headlines-sports"]

If this goes down, it will go down as the best offseason ever.
    Lakers' off season just got more interesting....i'm all giddy rite now

jakncoke

First your stance is ppl dont go to go games to see those 3 now you've backpeddled a bit and pretty much admited that ppl go to those games but not as much as they go to see Kobe...quit flip-flopping pick a opinion and stick with it.

Forum Guru
    First your stance is ppl dont go to go games to see those 3 now you've backpeddled a bit and pretty much admited that ppl go to those games but not as much as they go to see Kobe...quit flip-flopping pick a opinion and stick with it.
    Ofcourse people go to games to watch Agent Zero, The Big Ticket, The Truth, but all 3 of them combined do not = The Lakers and Kobe. I said Lakers first, because they are the biggest draw in the NBA. Even without Kobe and Shaq, the Lakers with the team of Van Exel, Jones, Ceballos, Vlade, forget other starter, were still the biggest draw during that time. Add Kobe to the mix and you get sell out crowds where ever they go. Most teams in the NBA got their first sell out crowd when the Lakers showed up, and this is was late in the season. There are only 2 other teams that have that type of impact right now...The Suns, and the Heat. You can also say the Cavs because of LBJ, but I believe not even LBJ's team does not have that type of impact yet.

Sorry for not updating. I was going to update yesterday, but didn't happen. So I'll continue. But all of you know the top stories.

jakncoke
    I dont know if you've updated this or not but Earl Boykins opted out of his contract as well.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2917100

Forum Guru
    I dont know if you've updated this or not but Earl Boykins opted out of his contract as well.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2917100
    Yeah I got it. Does it say he is Unrestricted or Restricted free agent? I just added him to the Unrestricted area for right now.

Elite Member
    I'm not flip-flopping, you're just running out of a good arguement...

Like UnReaL said, Kobe is a MUCH...MUCH...MUCH...bigger draw than Arenas, Garnett, and Pierce. And in a city built around individuals who are "larger than life"...the Lakers need a superstar that is "larger than life". Fans aren't going to accept a downgrade, and despite the fact that Arenas, Garnett, and Pierce are all great players...they still aren't as good as Kobe.

Don't come back with another weak arguement, I won't waste my time anymore proving how wrong you are.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

jakncoke
    Whatever dude I could care less how you flip flop , because it doesnt really matter , Im going to continue to hold strong with my opinion and your going to continue flip flopping yours / debate

Forum Guru
    Some Minnesota reps have said that Lakers and any team that wants Garnett have to take on Marco Jaric and Troy Hudsons contracts which totals to around $48 millions.

Elite Member
    Whatever dude I could care less how you flip flop , because it doesnt really matter , Im going to continue to hold strong with my opinion and your going to continue flip flopping yours / debate
    so basically you're only response now is "flip flop"...no no...not an actual arguement...just pissing and moaning.

solid job their champ...really, congrats.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Forum Elder
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=nVtL0UQuW1I

You guys have to watch this. Its hilarious.

jakncoke
    I guess Gerald Wallace is also going to test the waters but Michael Jordan stated its a top priority to get him back

http://myespn.go.com/conversation/st...33&section=nba

Master Sage
    ESPN is so stupid they go off on how Amare is likely to be traded to acquire Garnett and we all know thats not happening, then right after that with no break they say "Garnet could be traded to the Lakers in a HUGE blockbuster trade" hinting kobe will be traded for him. I just sat there like WTF .

VOTE FOR JOHN McCAIN!

Thread Information