Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Apprentice

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    279
    Rep Power
    67
    Points
    0 (0 Banked)

    The ps3 video converter 9 from red kawa sucks

    Most of you guys use the ps3 video converter 9 from red kawa because its freeware but frankly the quality sucks.The conversion quality is not good and takes lots of time.I tried about 4 or 5 different converters which convert almost any file format to mp4(mpeg4 video) to play on the ps3.

    Here is the best quality converter i found-
    http://www.aone-soft.com/psp_movie_converter.htm
    It's the ultra psp movie converter and it can be used for both the the psp and ps3.
    I tried converting different file formats like wmv,vob,vcd,svcd to ps3 video format and the results were all satisfactory.You can even choose the time duration in a file that you want to convert.
    However,the software is not freeware and costs $29.The trial version is there but unfortunately it limits to 5 minutes conversion and places a watermark in the middle of the converted file.
    But i feel the full version is totally worth the money.

  2. #2
    Veteran
    snooper71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Posts
    4,451
    Rep Power
    92
    Points
    16,721 (0 Banked)
    Items Naughty Dog
    It looks very similar to Allok...
    http://www.alloksoft.com/3gp_psp_mp4..._converter.htm
    http://www.alloksoft.com/images/3gppspipod-main.gif

    I have also found a few that have the exact same interface... I wonder if they are indeed the same?


    Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

  3. #3
    Newbie

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    30
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    0 (0 Banked)
    ps3 vc9 simply uses ffmpeg to make the conversion, it's simply an interface to the command line.

  4. #4
    Elite Member
    coffeerox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,549
    Rep Power
    64
    Points
    261 (0 Banked)
    can't get ahold of the OP program but I can get a hold of the Allok program, I'll do an encode and let you guys know how that turns out. What I will be looking for is how many filters (and if I can apply them myself) the program will be applying to the video, making them as close to the original as possible. I will also be looking for bitrate, PS3Video9 could only go to 3MBPS, that resulted in choppy 720P video during fast motion scenes.

  5. #5
    Veteran
    snooper71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Posts
    4,451
    Rep Power
    92
    Points
    16,721 (0 Banked)
    Items Naughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeerox View Post
    can't get ahold of the OP program but I can get a hold of the Allok program, I'll do an encode and let you guys know how that turns out. What I will be looking for is how many filters (and if I can apply them myself) the program will be applying to the video, making them as close to the original as possible. I will also be looking for bitrate, PS3Video9 could only go to 3MBPS, that resulted in choppy 720P video during fast motion scenes.
    I tried it and I wasted my time. I like things simple but the simple nature of Allok gave me some "coasters". I haven't played around with the settings much, but if you can find a good balance video/sound in 720p, let me/us know how you achieved it.

    I tried converting some .MKV but the sound was out of synch (slow and dragging) but the PQ was practically the same... Anyhow...

    Let us know


    Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

  6. #6
    Elite Member
    coffeerox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,549
    Rep Power
    64
    Points
    261 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by snooper71 View Post
    I tried it and I wasted my time. I like things simple but the simple nature of Allok gave me some "coasters". I haven't played around with the settings much, but if you can find a good balance video/sound in 720p, let me/us know how you achieved it.

    I tried converting some .MKV but the sound was out of synch (slow and dragging) but the PQ was practically the same... Anyhow...

    Let us know
    it's a piece of crap. I don't know which one you used, but I used the first one (yellow box) and the MP4 converter and both gave me the same settings. The only one that works on my PS3 is the PSP profile and that one does not have the settings I need to output HD. Not only does their profile's suck, but the settings themselves are garbage. It's about as basic as you can get.

    edit:

    I cheated! lol! I used Videora Xbox 360 Converter and did a MPEG-2 transcode of a trailer and it came out very nice. Now I'm going to go use TMPGenc and see what else I can do to make this video look as close to the regular source as possible.

  7. #7
    Veteran
    snooper71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Posts
    4,451
    Rep Power
    92
    Points
    16,721 (0 Banked)
    Items Naughty Dog
    I'm doing some light testing. I have a LOST episode that I'm trying... I got some sound, but again, it falls out of synch... I wish I knew how to install new codec/filters into that prog. Audio only gives mpeg codecs, I want to use AC3... 2 channels... what a joke. I will try the one from the OP but I think it's pretty much the same thing. At least PS3 VC 9 gives you the options to keep the original sound scheme. Alot faster too.

    +/- for both I suppose


    Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

  8. #8
    Elite Member
    coffeerox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,549
    Rep Power
    64
    Points
    261 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by snooper71 View Post
    I'm doing some light testing. I have a LOST episode that I'm trying... I got some sound, but again, it falls out of synch... I wish I knew how to install new codec/filters into that prog. Audio only gives mpeg codecs, I want to use AC3... 2 channels... what a joke. I will try the one from the OP but I think it's pretty much the same thing. At least PS3 VC 9 gives you the options to keep the original sound scheme. Alot faster too.

    +/- for both I suppose
    Well there IS one that I know that will satisfy everyone's needs and that is Canopus Procoder 3. Back in the day, I always used to use Canopus Procoder 2 and that one was awesome for VCD/SVCD/DVD mastering and supposedly Canopus Procoder 3 supports AVC (up to 1080p profile) but problem is, it's not on the 'usual' sites, so the only other option is to buy it but it costs a lot since it's a professional program.

  9. #9
    Superior Member
    str8upnobs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Age
    33
    Posts
    977
    Rep Power
    58
    Points
    1,447 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by ren_of_heavens View Post
    Most of you guys use the ps3 video converter 9 from red kawa because its freeware but frankly the quality sucks.The conversion quality is not good and takes lots of time.I tried about 4 or 5 different converters which convert almost any file format to mp4(mpeg4 video) to play on the ps3.

    Here is the best quality converter i found-
    http://www.aone-soft.com/psp_movie_converter.htm
    It's the ultra psp movie converter and it can be used for both the the psp and ps3.
    I tried converting different file formats like wmv,vob,vcd,svcd to ps3 video format and the results were all satisfactory.You can even choose the time duration in a file that you want to convert.
    However,the software is not freeware and costs $29.The trial version is there but unfortunately it limits to 5 minutes conversion and places a watermark in the middle of the converted file.
    But i feel the full version is totally worth the money.

    lol, bottom line of end product is the quality of your source file. if source file is garbage the results will be garbage too . put it this way i am currently converting all 3 seasons of lost to .mp4 & the source came from ABC HD , so the resulting .mp4s are almost perfect HD quality if i want them to be . its all in the details.

  10. #10
    Superior Member
    voom99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Age
    40
    Posts
    822
    Rep Power
    57
    Points
    0 (0 Banked)
    I have to agree. None of the dvds I've ripped with PS3video9 look anywhere as nice as the mp4 trailers they give you for download at the PS Store for instance. They look blocky, patchy, similar artifacts to when you use say DrDivX to make Divx files. The mp4s on the Store look so good that you only very occasionally notice a blocky pixelated patch of colours (the Shrek one had some noticeable blocky patches in places for instance). It would be nice to get them looking somewhere as nice as the trailers from the Store. For experimental purposes, I ripped a dvd with PS3video9 at the highest bitrate setting and it still didn't improve the quality, just made the file humungously larger than it needed to be. In the end, I just used Dvd Decrypter to make 1 VOB file and changed the file extension to mpg.
    When the zetas fill the skies.. will our leaders tell us why?

  11. #11
    Superior Member
    str8upnobs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Age
    33
    Posts
    977
    Rep Power
    58
    Points
    1,447 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by voom99 View Post
    I have to agree. None of the dvds I've ripped with PS3video9 look anywhere as nice as the mp4 trailers they give you for download at the PS Store for instance. They look blocky, patchy, similar artifacts to when you use say DrDivX to make Divx files. The mp4s on the Store look so good that you only very occasionally notice a blocky pixelated patch of colours (the Shrek one had some noticeable blocky patches in places for instance). It would be nice to get them looking somewhere as nice as the trailers from the Store. For experimental purposes, I ripped a dvd with PS3video9 at the highest bitrate setting and it still didn't improve the quality, just made the file humungously larger than it needed to be. In the end, I just used Dvd Decrypter to make 1 VOB file and changed the file extension to mpg.

    take a look at the bitrate on those trailers while your playing them . it is waaay higher than anything you'll get on dvd .to get an HD .mp4 you need to start of w/ an HD source file, it's not gonna go from SD to HD magically .you can improve it , but not to that extent.

  12. #12
    Apprentice

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    279
    Rep Power
    67
    Points
    0 (0 Banked)
    You people are writing off the ultra psp movie converter w/o trying it.Give the trial version a go from the link i gave in my OP.The ps3 video 9 sucks compared to it.
    The ultra psp movie converter has all sorts of options and settings that you would need and the conversion quality is as close to the source as possible.
    I know the source file quality is important but the ps3 video 9 puts out pixelated videos from even good sources.

  13. #13
    Comatosed
    Guest
    Xilisoft video converter 3 is what I use. Never had a problem with it, always encodes well. Plus it will encode just about anything to just about anything. It has a lot of options you can change, from video size to audio codec and bitrate. It does cost money (can't remember how much its supposed to be) but have a look around see what you can find *wink wink*

  14. #14
    Dedicated Member
    Punisher99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,425
    Rep Power
    57
    Points
    0 (0 Banked)
    I used AVS video converter. MY problem is. That it made my movie an 8gb file. And I dont have a memory stick or dvd big enough to put it on my PS3. And when I try to copy it wirelessly from my PC to my PS3. It always stops at 99% and never finishes!

  15. #15
    Elite Member
    coffeerox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,549
    Rep Power
    64
    Points
    261 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by str8upnobs View Post
    lol, bottom line of end product is the quality of your source file. if source file is garbage the results will be garbage too . put it this way i am currently converting all 3 seasons of lost to .mp4 & the source came from ABC HD , so the resulting .mp4s are almost perfect HD quality if i want them to be . its all in the details.
    that is true, but you're missing something. Because of the bitrate cap, fast motion scenes are not displayed perfectly (you'll see framerate drops and video will stutter) If you notice on the trailers, like say, Transformers, the bitrate goes very high (above 10) for the fast scenes, like when they transform, but when they're just showing talking and stuff like that it stays at around 3.

    I have a 720p file of Smallville, it's originally 1080i, reencoded to 720p XviD, and then reencoded to 720p MP4 through PS3V9 and some of the scenes just does not play correctly. I have a hunch it's either because of A) I turned off auto-framerate or B) the bitrate isn't high enough for those scenes. The original however, plays perfect.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Mercenaries: World in Flames
    By scsa in forum PlayStation 3 Games
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-20-2011, 03:02
  2. Where did you all buy your ps3 from?
    By lapd216 in forum PlayStation 3
    Replies: 124
    Last Post: 04-26-2007, 02:12
  3. I believe Alan Wake is coming to the PS3
    By /\ssassin in forum PlayStation 3 Games
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-26-2006, 21:15
  4. Still No Linux FOrum ?
    By ferrismc in forum PlayStation 3
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-26-2006, 13:09
  5. General Console forum.
    By FuriousJoe in forum Forum Rules, Help & Feedback
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-27-2006, 12:40

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.