Latest PSU headlines:

Azsori

Spilled Water on your Controller?

Yep, I did, I am a jackass. Had the controller on my desk and knocked over the water cup right on it, water spilled everywhere. But luckily I knew exactly what to do, and I am going to list out the steps that I took in case this unfortunate incident happens to anyone else. I know the steps are exactly like replacing the Li battery, but maybe this will help someone.

Since there was water in the controller, the only thing that can be done to save it is to open it up and let it dry out. This involves taking the controller apart, shaking out any excess water, and letting the controller dry for at least 24-36 hours in a place that is not too humid (basement preferably).

The most important thing to not do is hit the PS button. That turns the controller on, and puts electrical signals throughout it, avoid it at all costs. If the controller was already on, quickly turn off the PS3 via switch in the back. If it happened when the console was off (in my case) go ahead and also turn off the PS3 via back switch, to avoid having a period of prolonged period of the controller being on.

Making sure that the controller is off, take a paper towel and dry the excess water off of the controller. Keep the controller upright (Shoulder buttons facing the ceiling, this helps the water drain down).

Now remove the back screws. I recommend removing the 2 shoulder screws, then the two bottom screws, then finally the middle screw.

Now, after the screws are removed, the controller won't come apart easily. The best way to take it apart is to take a flat head screw driver, preferably a wide one, and try to pry at the dividing line between the analog sticks. Check out this video for the technique:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOf5m8XH4pY

The controller should 'pop' apart. Don't be overly forceful, but don't whimp out either. After getting the controller apart you should have 3 loose pieces lying around, 2 plastic spacers from in between each shoulder button pair (they look kinda like an 'H'), and you should have a tiny plastic that covers the reset switch.

Clean out any excess water that you can see with a paper towel or cotton cloth, CAREFULLY. If you want to use a hair dryer, go for it, but use it on the lowest setting, or a very low setting, with at least six inch distance from the appliance and the controller.

Now leave the controller apart to dry in a non humid place for at least 24 hours, just to be sure. And inspect the opened controller for moister after the time period.

When putting the controller back together, make sure you orient the tiny plastic reset button cover piece the correct way, which is with the flat plastic side piece facing the ceiling, and NOT touching the battery (you will understand upon seeing it). Put the plastic spacers back in between the L1 and L2, and R1 and R2 buttons respectively. The longer part of the 'H' shape fits towards the R1 and L1 buttons. After fitting the spacer in, press down on the buttons to make sure they respond like they should (these can be tricky to place back in, just make sure to set them right before putting th back cover part back on).

When putting the back cover back on to screw it in, make sure it is parallel or even to the front part of the controller, it should go on and snap flush with relative ease (as opposed to taking it apart). Screw in the middle screw first, then screws in the others.

Now, pray to your favorite God (Krishna, Allah, etc...), and turn your controller on. It should work, if you hopefully gave it enough time to dry.

Mine did, but I was not worried too much, as you shouldn't be. Sony makes a tough product. Mistakes happen, just be careful and address situations like these with attention to detail, your expensive product should be alright in the end.

Hope this helps.

Arsenal4Ever
    rep fro u thats good help

Apprentice
    Some good help, but I won't have to worry about that since I don't bring water within 3 feet of the PS3 or controller unless I'm cleaning it a bit. My parents don't want me to drink water near it too since I can be clumsy sometimes hehe.
    PS3 ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!~

Current Games: Resistance:FoM, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Ratchet and Clank Future, Assassin's Creed, Uncharted,DMC4(Hey. If i could, i'd get more)

Stupid Git
    You might have problems later on with corrosion of exposed copper though.

Normally, when I spill water on a circuit board, I use pure alcohol to clean it as best as possible, after the board is totally dry - it doesn't damage the board, evaporates quickly, and it makes sure the places I clean doesn't corrode. It also removes any impurities that the water might contain.

Superior Member

Good read thanks for heads up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Fangrim View Post

Normally, when I spill water on a circuit board, I use pure alcohol to clean it as best as possible, after the board is totally dry - it doesn't damage the board, evaporates quickly, and it makes sure the places I clean doesn't corrode. It also removes any impurities that the water might contain.
    can you use alcohol to clean the ps3? with a microfiber cloth of course.

Elite Sage
    Items Metal Gear Solid
    I've never spilled water on any controllers I've owned in my life.
    You cannot mess with the greatness that is Lupe Fiasco
    PSN ID - WrathofAres
    Send me a friend request
    Now.

PsFan1009
    Quote Originally Posted by Azsori View Post
    Yep, I did, I am a jackass. Had the controller on my desk and knocked over the water cup right on it, water spilled everywhere. But luckily I knew exactly what to do, and I am going to list out the steps that I took in case this unfortunate incident happens to anyone else. I know the steps are exactly like replacing the Li battery, but maybe this will help someone.

Since there was water in the controller, the only thing that can be done to save it is to open it up and let it dry out. This involves taking the controller apart, shaking out any excess water, and letting the controller dry for at least 24-36 hours in a place that is not too humid (basement preferably).

The most important thing to not do is hit the PS button. That turns the controller on, and puts electrical signals throughout it, avoid it at all costs. If the controller was already on, quickly turn off the PS3 via switch in the back. If it happened when the console was off (in my case) go ahead and also turn off the PS3 via back switch, to avoid having a period of prolonged period of the controller being on.

Making sure that the controller is off, take a paper towel and dry the excess water off of the controller. Keep the controller upright (Shoulder buttons facing the ceiling, this helps the water drain down).

Now remove the back screws. I recommend removing the 2 shoulder screws, then the two bottom screws, then finally the middle screw.

Now, after the screws are removed, the controller won't come apart easily. The best way to take it apart is to take a flat head screw driver, preferably a wide one, and try to pry at the dividing line between the analog sticks. Check out this video for the technique:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOf5m8XH4pY

The controller should 'pop' apart. Don't be overly forceful, but don't whimp out either. After getting the controller apart you should have 3 loose pieces lying around, 2 plastic spacers from in between each shoulder button pair (they look kinda like an 'H'), and you should have a tiny plastic that covers the reset switch.

Clean out any excess water that you can see with a paper towel or cotton cloth, CAREFULLY. If you want to use a hair dryer, go for it, but use it on the lowest setting, or a very low setting, with at least six inch distance from the appliance and the controller.

Now leave the controller apart to dry in a non humid place for at least 24 hours, just to be sure. And inspect the opened controller for moister after the time period.

When putting the controller back together, make sure you orient the tiny plastic reset button cover piece the correct way, which is with the flat plastic side piece facing the ceiling, and NOT touching the battery (you will understand upon seeing it). Put the plastic spacers back in between the L1 and L2, and R1 and R2 buttons respectively. The longer part of the 'H' shape fits towards the R1 and L1 buttons. After fitting the spacer in, press down on the buttons to make sure they respond like they should (these can be tricky to place back in, just make sure to set them right before putting th back cover part back on).

When putting the back cover back on to screw it in, make sure it is parallel or even to the front part of the controller, it should go on and snap flush with relative ease (as opposed to taking it apart). Screw in the middle screw first, then screws in the others.

Now, pray to your favorite God (Krishna, Allah, etc...), and turn your controller on. It should work, if you hopefully gave it enough time to dry.

Mine did, but I was not worried too much, as you shouldn't be. Sony makes a tough product. Mistakes happen, just be careful and address situations like these with attention to detail, your expensive product should be alright in the end.

Hope this helps.
    this guy spilled water on his sixaxis.....

*cough retard cough*

Azsori
    Quote Originally Posted by Fangrim View Post

That is a very good point, I did think about this briefly, but I decided to take my chances since I didn't want to take all of the circuitry out. It is probably no big deal, but I am scared to mess with the internals directly since I am not too familiar with the motion sensing mechanisms and handling it.

I'll post if I run into problems later.

Apprentice

Remember if you spill soda on it, you have to clean it with alcohol (preferably 99%). Even if the soda dries, the solid residue can conduct electricity and short it out.

But the best advice is just get the battery out as fast as you can, or at least turn it off.

And I think for a lot of people, the basement might be the moistest place. You could also put it out in the sun or in an oven (either off or lowest setting for a few minutes). Just make sure you don't have the battery in when you're doing this.

mastershake86
    You could easily just let it dry overnight, just sit it somewhere very warn like on top of a lampshade. Once I dropped my cell phone completely in a cup of soda and that made it work fine again.

Forum Elder

Happened to me.. I just hairdried it and it started working.

what_is_wonder
    Quote Originally Posted by Blu-Ray View Post
    I've never spilled water on any controllers I've owned in my life.
    careful and dont jinx it,i have not once spilled any liqud on any of my gamings devices

Superior Member
    Lol I spilled Coke on my sixaxis and nothing happened. I starting to think my sixaxis is some invincible super controller.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PS3 Owner Since Jan 1st '07 | Wii Owner Since Dec 06
    Bottom line, no one on the internet cares about you / anyone else. Stop acting like they do.
    http://instantjump.com

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Syugo View Post
    Lol I spilled Coke on my sixaxis and nothing happened. I starting to think my sixaxis is some invincible super controller.
    You got lucky haha.

Water isn't that bad. Water dried usually works no problem, pure water anyway. residue left behind can damage circuits and such.

Sugar on the other hand...would destroy electronics faster then you can count that money sign.

I think Grape juice or something with high concentration would destory anything.

Luckly the 6xs is pretty tightly sealed, so there's minimal leakage.

I also recommend static free spray cleaners, they sell for things like cleaning electronic things. You can pick it at most computer stores and supply stores.

Apprentice
    yea one time i had a broken ankle and dropped my conroller into this tub thing i had to soak my ankle in after i got my cast off, and yea that thing never worked again, very sad story. lol im such a retard.

Apprentice
    Very nice read, very good information. I remember when I forgot my cell phone in the garden when it was raining, and I found it the next day. I took out the battery and dryed it with a hairdryer. Maybe not the most clever thing to do, but it worked fine for a couple of months, and then it died.

Elite Guru
    Well, accidents do happen.
    +rep for this as it is very helpful for those that don't know these simple measures to take.

Of course, not all electronics will work after these steps are taken ( especially if used when wet), but its the best possible thing to do when this happens.
    Good job posting this
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Video games dont Affect Kids.
    If Pacman had affected us as Kids,
    We'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching Magic pills
    and Listening to repetitive, Electronic music

i was redecorating my study and dripped some paint on the sixasis ... woops

Thread Information