Latest PSU headlines:

Suggestions on new account restrictions

I light of the numerous newbie posts that usually end up being locked anyway
    I though it would not be a bad idea to place a few restriction on new accounts.

1) New users cannot create topics until they made at least 25 ( the actual # is up to mods to decide ) replys.
    This should rid the board of "<CONSOLE1> SUXX, <CONSOLE2> RULEZ" types of posts, and maybe force them to read FAQ.

2) Not to have them spam other discussions with nonsense limit their replys to 5 ( also up to mods ) per day.

3) Unless skill points are >=0 users are not allowed to start new topics or reply at all until skill points are at 0 again
    ( for negative numbers they should increase daily ). Instead of banning people make it a type of probation.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Heat195
    These have already been suggested by many users on this forum. The rules would hinder the forum greatly and make it less "good". The 2nd rule is very funny if you ask me, Setting reply's to 5 per day is crazy for new people.

Dedicated Member
    I made a suggestion about the restrictions on the new account the other day. My new suggestion is that the new account cannot make the new thread the same day it get registered in order to deal with spamming. Whether a spammer's account is banned, the spammer who make a new account cannot spam immediately, and may lose interests in spamming the next day. If not, what about limiting the number of posts a new member can make on the first day? I have seen new spammers making lots of posts on the first day. The con with this thing is that it may encourage the number of new accounts intended for spamming.
    "If the evolutionary roads like the PS3 are closed off, the industry will no longer grow." - Hideo Kojima
    "Oh God... please don't let me die today! Tomorrow would be so much better!"
    "Management is like playing a strategy game." - GalCiv2
    Weekly Console Hardware Sales in Japan last updated on March 26, 2009

Master Sage
    i really dont think it will help alot some forums do this and it just turns you away from it. mabe they have something usefull but dont post untill weeks later. it would suck.

VOTE FOR JOHN McCAIN!
    The night was never so fearfull....

Master Poster
    Im liking point 3, thats a pretty good idea

Extending this, for every *expletive deleted* in someones post, remove 10 skill points?
    Anyone agree with this, i think its a great idea, saves mods from having to tell people off from using obscene language
    Although that word filter needs some checking, i mean look > flocking = flock-ing
    Whats up with that??
    I have no signature.
    No, really, i don't. You're just imagining this.

Quote Originally Posted by hoverbike
    These have already been suggested by many users on this forum. The rules would hinder the forum greatly and make it less "good". The 2nd rule is very funny if you ask me, Setting reply's to 5 per day is crazy for new people.
    The numbers aren't set in stone, like I said it's up to mods.
    There are alternatives like 2-3 day limit before allowing to start a thread.
    Or if it's still too much, allow members to filter out posts/threads based on
    total number of posts and join date, add ignore lists, etc.

Notice that new users' treads are usually garbage:
    http://www.ps3forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=10153
    http://www.ps3forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=10158
    http://www.ps3forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=10136
    http://www.ps3forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=10149
    http://www.ps3forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=10146
    http://www.ps3forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=10122
    http://www.ps3forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=352
    and that's just the PS3 Discussion board

Quote Originally Posted by soldier one
    i really dont think it will help alot some forums do this and it just turns you away from it. mabe they have something usefull but dont post untill weeks later. it would suck.
    True, but spam and trolling can turn people away just the same.

Elite Member

Those are some very good suggestions Cixx but you might have to check with the admins if their implication is possible on phbb or not. See, if it's possible I'm sure us mods or admins wouldn't mind it helping us sort out spam. Anyway, I'm not the person to ask. Good suggestions, keep sending 'em in. Just don't keep your hopes high for each(or even one) of them to get selected.

Cliff Bleszinski(Gears of War) on David Jaffe's God of War: I warn you, though, if you play God of War, other games aren't as good anymore. It's like eating a really good steak, and then going back to Sizzler.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Heat195
    Quote Originally Posted by Cixx
    The numbers aren't set in stone, like I said it's up to mods. There are alternatives like 2-3 day limit before allowing to start a thread.Or if it's still too much, allow members to filter out posts/threads based on total number of posts and join date, add ignore lists, etc.
    Well the 2-3 day limit thing may not work because someone will register and then wait 2-3 days and then start their spamming and Advertising. It's also hard to code this stuff into the phpBB format.

Master Sage
    well think about we can lose members doing this and they will spam whenever they get the chance if they are going to. also i thought of something mabe put coding in the system that will reconize when someone is trying to post a topic saying this system will pawn this o it going to be great and etc.. so when they try to post it the end will say you just lost a certain number of points and it doesnt get posted. i think that would really solve alot of thos problems.

VOTE FOR JOHN McCAIN!
    The night was never so fearfull....

Thread Information