Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    REFLEX

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PSN Download)

Man, what a great game.... a true PS1 classic from back in Sony's first glory days.. I'm downloading this as I type, can't wait to get back into this game. I really hope they start bringing more PS1 games to the store, such memories!!

Here is the original IGN review of the game:

October 2, 1997 - Konami's Castlevania series is one of the most enduring and expansive in the videogaming market. Appearing first on NES, Castlevania and its vast number of sequels have appeared on virtually every gaming system released since then. Now it has finally made it to PSX, and I must admit that, having played and enjoyed its many predecessors, my anticipation for this all-new 32-bit version was at fever pitch.

For those Trappist monks amongst us who have managed to miss out on the last ten years of videogaming, Castlevania and its sequels are traditional 2D side-scrolling platform arcade adventures that have always followed the same basic premise. And it is this: the player is cast as the hero who's armed with a whip that can be progressively powered up and a variety of extra weapons that are found throughout the game. The objective is simple: battle through a massive, horror-themed gaming environment that's populated by the spawn of the devil's trumpet and find, confront and destroy the final boss to save the day. Simple, straightforward, classic videogaming.

The game series has always been renown for its incredible design, hidden secrets, outstanding visuals and top-quality gameplay, so it was with much anticipation that I loaded this all-new 32-bit version. My first impression was one of immense disappointment. It looks like the same old 2D platform action as before. The graphics are initially similar-looking to SNES and Genesis incarnations of the game, the character animation isn't particularly smooth and 3D is resigned to limited background effects and the odd special effect. Apart from the various PSX arcade compilations out there, games don't look much more retro than this.

But knowing the age-old maxim that it's not how it looks, it's how it plays that matters, I started to play... and played... and played. The proverb, "don't judge a book by its cover" has never been truer than with this game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is a classic.

Featuring the same type of gameplay and plot premise of previous titles, but taking them to a whole new level of depth, this is an awesome game, deserving a veritable thesaurus of praise for its top-notch platforming action. Its environment is vast, there are an absolutely unbelievable number of weapons available to the player, the bad guys are varied and many and the game features more secrets than the Pentagon.

And once you get over the shock that this is a retro-2D game, you begin to really appreciate the detail and subtleties of the graphics. They're not in-yer-face effects-laden super lens flare 3D eye-candy. Instead they're gothic, atmospheric and, when it comes down to it, perfectly suit the game. The music is brilliant too - sometimes daunting, sometimes rousing and always doing what music should - enhancing the action.

All those things work together to create what is one of the finest 2D platforms game yet seen. It takes up the mantle of 16-bit classics like Super Metroid, Super Mario and - of course - other Castlevania games, and goes beyond the restrictions of cartridge memory to reach new heights of depth and quality gameplay. And if you cherish that over snazzy 3D graphics (and, to be honest, if you don't then you're missing the point of videogaming), buying this will make you happier than a pig in...er... poo.
    --Julian Rignall

Ancient
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Question..........does the PS3 upscale downloaded PSone games?

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Electronic Warrior
    I imagine it would... I know it did it with the disc....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ever since my experience points went into triple digits, I've had to keep the ladies and valkyries away with a +3 two handed broadsword.

Superior Member
    that was unexpected

want this game in UK
    2008 - The Year of the Playstation 3

Super Elite
    How big? I want this, now. Awesome update to the store, love this game.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    Question..........does the PS3 upscale downloaded PSone games?
    i believe in teh game settings on the ps3 the upscaler says "PS/PS2 upscaler [On/Off]

Dedicated Member
    This is the game that will have me on my PSP for days. This is gonna kick so much @$$!!
    Over 32 PS3 games in library and have paid for GTA4 Limited edition and JUST got Prolog......Yeah bud.... I'm playin BEYOND... now if only I can get a new hard drive.....9 gigs left...

Apprentice

Can anyone of you americans share this game with me?
    I'll share whatever you want in return. I NEED this game NOW!!
    I can't buy it myself before it hits the EU store, wich will take forever...
    PM me please

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Harrow
    All new 32-bit version? Isn't this the exact same version of the game tha was released on the PS1? If so why is this guy so surprised at the graphics? Don't tell me this noob never played the orginal in 1997?

The graphics are initially similar-looking to SNES and Genesis incarnations of the game, the character animation isn't particularly smooth and 3D is resigned to limited background effects and the odd special effect.
    This game was never released on the SNES or Genesis.

Apprentice
    heh, Seeksjustice he said "incarnations of the game". Meaning other games in the Castlevania series, like Super Castlevania on SNES. That's what he was referring to. Also, if you check the date posted and what Reflex said, that was the -original- IGN review of the game done in 1997 when SOTN was released. This isn't a review from the re-release on the PSN.

Awesome posting Reflex. Once I'm up and running again this is my first PSN purchase.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Harrow
    Quote Originally Posted by akiraburn View Post
    heh, Seeksjustice he said "incarnations of the game". Meaning other games in the Castlevania series, like Super Castlevania on SNES. That's what he was referring to. Also, if you check the date posted and what Reflex said, that was the -original- IGN review of the game done in 1997 when SOTN was released. This isn't a review from the re-release on the PSN.

Awesome posting Reflex. Once I'm up and running again this is my first PSN purchase.

Thanks. I really need to start paying attention to dates. Even the old bumped threads get me almost every time!

D

Apprentice

Can someone share this game with me? pretty please, with-sugar-on-top.. anyone?

I have a question. Why is this game $9.99 when every other PS1 classic in the store is only $5.99?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sharp Aquos 42" 1080P LCD HDTV, PS3 - 120GB,
    Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
    Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-ray Player
    Infinity Primus Speakers

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gsx20 View Post
    I have a question. Why is this game $9.99 when every other PS1 classic in the store is only $5.99?
    This was easily one of PS1's better games, and like T5: DR they just up'd the price cuz they know ppl will dl it. For 10 bucks its not bad really, its worth the dl.
    Waiting For: KoF 13. FF13 VS. MvC 3.

FIGHTER GAMER FOR LIFE =D!!!

REFLEX
    Hell yeah! Glad to see some responses to this good game..... just woke up, gonna go play it a bit.

mastershake86
    This is the only PS1 game that is priced differently in any region. I don't see any of these really being worth $10.

I've already downloaded this on my 360, but I'm contemplating downloading it for my PSP. Castlevania FTW!

© Theft l Wanna add me on PSN/XBL? [CLICK!] l twitter.com/WonsAuto
    [reveal][/reveal]

REFLEX
    That would be cool to have it for a PSP, I only have a DS Lite, but I don't even touch it any more, its a great machine but I don't really have much time for hand held gaming + console gaming hahaha.... so no PSP for me.... still would be cool though.

The Mega Man
    This is one of the best games ever made!

This is the first PS1 classics game i've downloaded from the store. I'm not to swift on how I put it on my PSP though.
    Do I use remote play and copy it from the PS3 XMB? USB connect the PSP?
    Can someone whos done it with this or another PS1 classic let me know?

Normally I'd use my brain and try it myself or look it up on the internet but I'm at work now (for 7 more hrs blah!) and all gaming sites are locked out except this one which is awesome!

Boss is coming gotta go

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    gumi42
    Quote Originally Posted by daevv View Post
    This is one of the best games ever made!

This is the first PS1 classics game i've downloaded from the store. I'm not to swift on how I put it on my PSP though.
    Do I use remote play and copy it from the PS3 XMB? USB connect the PSP?
    Can someone whos done it with this or another PS1 classic let me know?

Normally I'd use my brain and try it myself or look it up on the internet but I'm at work now (for 7 more hrs blah!) and all gaming sites are locked out except this one which is awesome!

Boss is coming gotta go

Daevv,

Just hook up your PSP via the USB cable and then go to the game on your XMB and press triangle and there is a option to copy and then you can copy it to the PSP, it will not let you just put it on to the memory card you do have to have the PSP hooked to your PS3

That should do it for you
    Hard work never killed nobody but I ain't taking any chances

Master Sage
    I was never a castle vania fan, the story of this one is good but not too fond of the game. They need doom and such now, at least they released a well known ps1 game.

VOTE FOR JOHN McCAIN!
    The night was never so fearfull....

Forum Guru
    This is one of my favorite PS1 games EVER. I've bought it twice (someone stole both ) . We have this game on 360 but I want this game on PS3 because of the FMV's (that were taken out of the 360 version) and the fact that I still have old memory card saves D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.darkoctave.com/spazart.html
    I got my 60'' Sony SXRD XBR2 and loving it!
    Our 360 died 2/1/07...got it again....then died..got it again...then died...got it again...sold it for an Elite...it died...fixed it.(?)

Dedicated Member
    Was thinking about getting this as well as it is a better PS1 title

**off topic** but it would be sweet to bring the Toshinden (I think thats how you spell it) but that would make my day as that was my first PS1 Game for the system.

Ok, i'm convinced. I think i'll go and buy this right now!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sharp Aquos 42" 1080P LCD HDTV, PS3 - 120GB,
    Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
    Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-ray Player
    Infinity Primus Speakers

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by soldier one View Post
    I was never a castle vania fan, the story of this one is good but not too fond of the game. They need doom and such now, at least they released a well known ps1 game.
    I would buy Doom in a second, even though I still have Doom 95 and Doom 2 on floppy, and the collectors edition. If they made a downloadable version that came with some form of multiplayer...

EDIT: Can we get some tips from the masters of Castle: SotN? I keep getting killed and then I have to go through all the cut scenes against to start over. It's starting to get annoying.

Thread Information