Latest PSU headlines:

bearcatfootballplayer

Do you really need HD?

Xbox 360 seems like a great system and the grphics are good but there is one question that still wakes me up at night. Do I really need HD to see the great graphics and textures the system can put out? I dont know if it is just me but I cannot afford to buy and Xbox 360 and an hdtv both at the same time. If you have played Xbox 360 on a regular or hdtv please share your thoughts.

Superior Member

I have played them both and can safely say two things that you've heard a million times before.

1. The graphics can still be impressive without an HDTV.

2. There is a noticable different with an HDTV though. Everything is so sharp and crisp, you can actually see farther and get better headshots in PDZ because a guys head from 500 feet away still looks nice and round and not a dark smudge of pixels. All of the textures pop right off the screen they look so much better in 720p.

Blake
    I've seen alot of examples of 360 games on standard and HDTV's. Both look amazing, HDTV is just a bit sharper, and crisp. It's really the same as say watching cable tv....just hdtv comes out looking a bit more clear.

Veteran
    As of right now we don't need HD to enjoy the games looks. but soon in the future we should go for it.

Amadeus
    And all the HDTVs that support true 720p are at least 1,200 dollars right now, from what i've seen. 1200+ for a TV set is just too much, regardless.

Forum Sage

[LIVE]Pachter: PS3 beat 360 in April

*Kiss My X Box Flavoured Ass*

curryking1

Re: [WIP]Pachter: PS3 beat 360 in April

Are we going to do this every single month for this guy?

He's starting to seem like an attention whore.

Forum Sage

Pachter is highly regarded and many sites report on all his various predictions/comments, so I think we should definitely keep on top of it - particularely when it is in Sony's favour.

Also, its his job to do this every month, so he's not doing it for the attention lol.

curryking1

Quote Originally Posted by mike_harradence
    Pachter is highly regarded and many sites report on all his various predictions/comments, so I think we should definitely keep on top of it - particularely when it is in Sony's favour.

Also, its his job to do this every month, so he's not doing it for the attention lol.
    My main problem with this, is this asshat came out last month and said the same thing... And we reported it... and 1 day later the NPD Numbers showed the 360 outselling the PS3... Which made everyone look stupid, IMO.

Forum Sage

Re: [LIVE]Pachter: PS3 beat 360 in April

Well, I could understand if this was some random guy no one has ever heard of, but for Pachter I think we can make an exception. Next-Gen follow up with NPD sales just like us regardless whether or not Pachter is right, so I dont personally see a problem with it.

I've always maintained the "if its good enough for them, it's good enough for us" attitude and it hasn't failed me yet, so I don't see a problem to stop as long as places like Next-Gen continue to report on it.

Plus, i've been doing this since I joined last June, and no one has ever complained until now (no offense lol)

curryking1

Quote Originally Posted by mike_harradence
    Well, I could understand if this was some random guy no one has ever heard of, but for Pachter I think we can make an exception. Next-Gen follow up with NPD sales just like us regardless whether or not Pachter is right, so I dont personally see a problem with it.

I've always maintained the "if its good enough for them, it's good enough for us" attitude and it hasn't failed me yet, so I don't see a problem to stop as long as places like Next-Gen continue to report on it.

Plus, i've been doing this since I joined last June, and no one has ever complained until now (no offense lol)
    No, it has nothing with you doing this, lol. It's Pachter didn't start doing this whole "PS3 will outsell 360 last month" spiel until the PS3 outsold the 360 for 3 months in a row...I just think the guy's a jackass.

PS: I'm the one who posted it last time, lol.

curryking1

During the early parts of each month, we've begun to expect and wait for Michael Pachter's latest predictions in the world of gaming and the console war. Last month, Pachter misjudged the console sales by a small margin, but that hasn't stopped him from coming out and proclaiming the same prediction for the month of April. Once again, Pachter is predicting that the PlayStation 3 has outsold the XBOX 360, this time for the month of April. With Grand Theft Auto IV boosting PS3 hardware sales, Pachter feels he should expect nothing less.

“We believe that Nintendo has diverted a significant portion of its available supply to Europe since April 2007, as the weakening dollar has made US sales less profitable for the company… We expect the supply situation will begin to improve over the next several months. We expect a surge in supply in the US for Wii Fit’s May 21 launch here, and believe we could see as many as 900,000 Wii units show up at retail this month (May).

"Console and handheld software sales growth during 2008 (+11 percent in January, +47 percent in February, +63 percent in March) is expected to continue, primarily due to 'three phenomenal new releases' in Grand Theft Auto IV, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness and Mario Kart Wii. Pachter predicted monthly software sales of $830 million, up 113 percent on last April’s figures, illustrating that, “thus far in 2008, the sector appears highly recession-resistant.”

For those of you wondering how he feels the sales numbers will stack up, we've his predictions below:

Wii: 600,000
    PS3: 290,000
    Xbox 360: 275,000
    PS2: 160,000
    DS: 550,000
    PSP: 235,000

If you're interested in investing in the stock market, Pachter has recommended “...investors accumulate Activision, Electronic Arts, Nintendo, THQ, and Ubisoft shares..."

We'll be sure to update you when the official NPD numbers are released later this week.

Thread Information