Latest PSU headlines:

Superior Member

1UP.com: "Is this really the HD Era?"

Now that we've had time to thoroughly play through the initial Xbox 360 lineup, one thing has become painfully obvious: not every game feels all that next-generation to us. Sure, there are the titles that truly show off the capabilities of the 360 -- Project Gotham Racing 3 or Perfect Dark Zero, especially. But those were coded specifically for the system and take advantage of a lot of the 360's advanced processing capabilities. How about all of the other games that were merely ported over to the Xbox 360 from other platforms, though? Many of those were only slightly improved in the process and hardly scream "next-gen" to us (not to mention don't really warrant the extra $10 price tag). We decided to take a look through the games that were ported to the Xbox 360 for its launch to pose the question: Which games were just trying to cash in on the new console's launch and which ones are really up to par in the HD Era?
    go into detail pics with th games after this...

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 06
    Where have we seen it before?
    It's a port of EA's extremely beefy golf game for all the current gen consoles.

So, how is it improved on 360?
    Well, there are crowd-filled grandstands and easier to see course contours, but that's about it.

The bottom line?
    A waste of money. Compared to the current-gen installment, this game comes with much fewer courses, a stripped-down single player mode, and barely improved visuals -- but it's $10 more. "We believe that premium titles command premium pricing," said EA spokesperson Tammy Schachter. Who are you trying to kid, EA?

Madden NFL 06

On the PS2, Xbox, GC, and PC. It's not so much a port of those games, though; it's more of a continuation of the series.

Designed from the ground up for 360, the new Madden is more like being on the field, playing football than just watching a broadcast on TV. The visuals are remarkably better -- though not nearly as good as the "target video" EA tried to pass off as game footage earlier this year.

The bottom line?
    EA Sports made the right call by going the hard route and pushing its biggest franchise forward by recreating it for the next-gen. Once you play it on 360, you won't play the old versions anymore.

NBA 2K6

On the PS2 and Xbox. It has the same features, almost exactly the same gameplay, and feels remarkably similar.

There are a few minor gameplay tweaks, but the main differences are in the graphics and animation, and those are much more noticeable on an HDTV than on a normal setup. On a normal set, the game only looks great when the camera gets in close for replays.

The bottom line?
    It's the deepest sports game available right now on 360, but given the strides forward NBA Live has taken to make itself feel more like real basketball, 2K6 ends up f

NBA Live 06

It's a port of the current generation versions of Live, but the graphics have been given an overhaul and certain features have been tweaked.

There's more emotion all around -- from the graphics to the interface to the crowds. This is one of the few next-gen sports games to feel dramatically different from the current gen crop.

The bottom line?
    Given how ambitious EA was with certain aspects, it wasn't able to cram all the features from the current gen games in. But if you're looking for something that shows off what the 360 can do, this is your game.

Need For Speed Most Wanted

On PS2, Xbox, and GameCube. It's exactly the same game, but with a slightly higher resolution.

So how is it improved on 360?
    The resolution is better, the lighting effects are more pronounced, and some textures have been improved -- but otherwise it looks essentially the same. Unfortunately, not everything was properly enhanced for the 360. For example, the cars have improved textures, yet elements of the environments weren't touched up at all.

The bottom line?
    It's not much of an enhancement over the original Xbox version, but it's one of the better looking 360 titles -- which is more of a testament of how good the original looked than anything.

NHL 2K6

On the PS2 and Xbox. It has the same features, but adds an incredibly-disorienting switch-on-the-fly defenseman-to-goalie 'feature' that should have been left on the bench.

This is like the Xbox version of the game with sharpening turned on, giving players that 'edge-enhancement' look that drives audio/visual snobs nuts. For persons with less discerning eyes it looks almost the same outside of the replays, save for better looking ice (wow), higher resolution on logos (gee), and more extensive use of 3D in the crowds (boring).

The bottom line?
    It's virtually the same game as the Xbox version, but at three times the price.

King Kong

On the PS2, Xbox, PC, and GameCube. It feels just like another version of the game, given how similar it is.

There are a few bonus special effects, like blurring behind fire and a wetter look to the outdoor environments, and a nicer framerate all around, but the visual improvements are minor.

The bottom line?
    The game already looks great on the current gen consoles, which is likely why the 360 version doesn't seem as impressive. In fact, some of the game's textures weren't designed to be viewed in such high resolution -- you're almost better off playing on a normal set and not an HDTV.

Quake 4

The PC game that released a month ago, of which it is an exact duplicate, from story to graphics.

It isn't. In fact, the transition to 360 introduces framerate problems that significantly undermine the game's fun.

The bottom line?
    Quake 4 proves that you can't just take a PC game and dump it on the 360. Without optimizing for the new hardware it embarrasses itself and the new machine. How Microsoft allowed this to ship in its current state -- not to mention how id and Activision had the audacity to charge an extra $10 for it -- is beyond us.

Call of Duty 2

It released on PC a month or so ago, and has the same script, gameplay and basic look.

An entirely new engine, written specifically for the 360 hardware, has the game looking and sounding better than it does even on a high-end PC. The smoke effects, for example, look even more incredible on 360.

The bottom line?
    Infinity Ward was smart to split its programming team and develop to the new machine's strengths. The fantastic smoke and deafening sound are great examples of the special effects possible on the 360.

Tony Hawk's American Wasteland

On the PS2, Xbox, and GameCube. It's the exact same game except with a better resolution and slightly better textures.

The resolution is better, and the textures have been improved, but the polygon counts are the same, so you still see a lot of hard edges on environments.

The bottom line?
    It's not much of an enhancement over the Xbox version; it just looks cleaner and sharper. If you're looking for a game that really shows off the capabilities of the 360, this is probably not your best choice -- especially if you're just running it on a standard TV set.

FIFA Soccer 06

On PS2, Xbox, and GameCube. Except this is a much stripped down version of the game, as it's a "Road to the World Cup" entry in the series.

The players look great up close, and the visuals look great during the little transition scenes, but during play it's pretty standard FIFA fare.

The bottom line?
    As with most FIFA installments that debut on a new console, this is pretty much a letdown. It seems like it was quickly developed to be ready for the Xbox 360 launch -- look for the real next-gen FIFA next year.

GUN

It's a port of Neversoft's PS2/Xbox western shooter, with no added gameplay tweaks or features.

If you have an HDTV and plan to play the game on it, then the 360 version is definitely crisper on there. If not, it's debateable if you'll even be able to tell the difference between this and the Xbox version, except for an improved framerate.

The bottom line?
    It's not ambitious enough to be worth $10 more than the Xbox and PS2 versions, but if you want the best version and have an HDTV, this is the way to go. The only downside is that the low res textures are more noticeable in HD.
    they are mostly right. COD2 was the only game that looks like it was made for the xbox 360. EA and rest drop the ball on the launch games.

link
    <-- click for info on how to join.

Forum Sage
    I think it will be worth having HDTV for PS3. Deffinatly. 42" ohhh yes

Elite Sage
    Gamespot did a similar thing and when you hover the mouse over the pic it changes from a Xbox pic to a Xbox 360 pic to see the difference better.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6140621/index.html

note: these examples were all done on a SDTV. both Xbox and Xbox 360.
    Big Boss Emblem FTW!

Power Member
    Why does gamespot use such dark game pics? Its hard enough to see them, yet trying to compare them. The only big difference is Madden. Alot brighter, but that could be how gamespot took the picture. I think your fine with out HD, but to get the full quality of what 360 offers you need a HD tv.

Superior Member

This nicely explains how the launch line up that was so highly touted by M$ was mostly very current games with a nice little visual touch and some stripped down features. I hope to see some better games for the 360 soon.

Resistance
    NBA 2k7

PSN: buckeyefan
    AIM me if you want a 2k7 game

Dedicated Member

they are mostly right. COD2 was the only game that looks like it was made for the xbox 360. EA and rest drop the ball on the launch games.
    welcome to the world of moltiplatform developers and why anyone expects more of them for revolution and ps3 is way beond me.
    there all next gen games but they are with many shortcuts.
    cod2 was the only 3rd party game i found worth a damn.
    the reast where the 10$ cheaper 1st party games those where the steller ones. so now we see the importance of haveing a strong 1st party and why i get mad at sony for not haveing one. leave it all to 3rd party and they will screw ya and port the game or make it lackluster.
    i think we all seen how i felt about quake 4 that was a good example of a developer who just likes to port... and do nothing else not even get code to uptimize to increase frame rate.
    this is a weakness every console has had in the past and will have.
    the games look awesome on SD but yes there better on HD but at the same time you have to deal with wide screen so playing 4 player split is way better on 480p fullscreen. unless you own a huge tv.

Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    You think Sony doesn't have strong first-party support? Just to name a few of Sonys first-party support games; God of War, Killzone, Jak, Socom, Ratchet, Shadow of the Colossus, and many more.

Sony's first-party support is starting to rival Nintendo's and at least in my opinion is better than Microsoft's first-party support for the Xbox.

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryunosuke
    You think Sony doesn't have strong first-party support? Just to name a few of Sonys first-party support games; God of War, Killzone, Jak, Socom, Ratchet, Shadow of the Colossus, and many more.

Sony's first-party support is starting to rival Nintendo's and at least in my opinion is better than Microsoft's first-party support for the Xbox.
    i don't think king has even own any playstation or even the xbox before. I think this may be his first gaming system. b/c he says things like his all the time. I have even b/4 made a huge list of all the first party dev teams for sony. It doesn't help.
    <-- click for info on how to join.

Elite Member

King... you're trying your hardest to sound knowledgeable and unbiased... BS... you think Sony doesn't have any first-party support... pull your head out of whatever orfice you have it up right now... It's ok to be biased, just have facts backing your assumptions otherwise they turn into rediculous claims and you get flamed for them... it's that simple... you wonder why you get it from people all the time...

and MS should've never EVER allowed EA to make launch titles for it, those games look horrible... King, do you think Sony sent some money-hats to EA just to sabotage the 360 so it does look like it's what Ken K said it was? Just to help us blind-misled Sony faithful idgits justify the wait to play next-gen a year later from now???

Elite Sage
    welcome to the world of moltiplatform developers and why anyone expects more of them for revolution and ps3 is way beond me.
    hmm... lets see Sony is making devs work from scratch.

And devs have to work from scratch to suit nintendo's Controller.

Sony knows what it's like to have shoddy up-ported games as launch titles, why did the PS2 get such stick for launch titles.
    Come we all hear from MS how they learnt from getting a beating from Sony, so why couldn't Sony learn from their own mistakes.
    Big Boss Emblem FTW!

how different was ps2 archetecture from xbox's i have one thing to say welcome to what it feels like to get all ports.

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by killingzone
    how different was ps2 archetecture from xbox's i have one thing to say welcome to what it feels like to get all ports.
    er... okay.

the worst off PS3 games could get is top end PC's that's not bad for a shoddy port.

talking about launch titles though, Sony have already experienced what MS is experiencing now, and there were reports ages ago that Sony is demanding devs to work from scratch.
    Big Boss Emblem FTW!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Steroyd
    er... okay.

the worst off PS3 games could get is top end PC's that's not bad for a shoddy port.
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. Just look at the differences on the PS2 for quality. Look at God of War and then look at Disgaea. HUGE difference in graphics on the same exact machine. Disgaea looks almost like it could be done on the PS1 with just some nice optimization.

Also, if there is one thing I am already learning from my Xbox360, graphics is nice but definately isn't everything.

I love my 5 current 360 games, but I am spending almost as much time playing games on Xbox Live Arcade. Games like Geometry Wars, SmashTV, Guantlet, Outpost Kioloki, Bejeweled 2, Zuma, and Hexix HD. All are spectacular (especially the ones that use 720 to crispen up the graphics a lot). They are all a ton of fun. They all keep me coming back for more.

If Sony is indeed requiring that high level of graphics, then this will deter a lot of companies from making games like Disgaea for the system. It would also pretty much rule out something like Xbox Live Arcade.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. This is a personal communication and in no way represents the official or unofficial views or opinions of my employer.

Anthony Hanses - Owner - Colloquy LLC

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by siren
    Quote Originally Posted by Steroyd
    er... okay.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Just look at the differences on the PS2 for quality. Look at God of War and then look at Disgaea. HUGE difference in graphics on the same exact machine. Disgaea looks almost like it could be done on the PS1 with just some nice optimization.

Also, if there is one thing I am already learning from my Xbox360, graphics is nice but definately isn't everything.

I love my 5 current 360 games, but I am spending almost as much time playing games on Xbox Live Arcade. Games like Geometry Wars, SmashTV, Guantlet, Outpost Kioloki, Bejeweled 2, Zuma, and Hexix HD. All are spectacular (especially the ones that use 720 to crispen up the graphics a lot). They are all a ton of fun. They all keep me coming back for more.

If Sony is indeed requiring that high level of graphics, then this will deter a lot of companies from making games like Disgaea for the system. It would also pretty much rule out something like Xbox Live Arcade.
    i'm talking about ports.

I'm trying of think of a crappy Xbox port from PS2 but i can't think of any so i guess i can't continue on that debate. >_<

Disgaea was built from the ground up to for the PS2, so that's the style it was designed for from day one, whereas a PS2 game gets ported to the Xbox poorly i might add, the worst the Xbox port could look is at least the PS2 version...right?

If a Xbox 360 game gets ported up to PS3, and looks slightly worse than the Xbox 360 for some reason, the worst it could look is like a high end PC.

Siren Enjoy XBL Arcade for as much as you can, Nintendo's going to blow the house off with their old Nintendo games, that i can be certain.

I know graphics aren't everything

now that i mention it.... i wonder what Cell shaded graphics will look like?
    Big Boss Emblem FTW!

Master Guru
    If GfX aren't everything,then why we have a need for next generation systems? Silly question isn't it?
    Good "night" my baby...i will always remember you.I love you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHZ2cooseqU&annotation_id=annotation_93283 5&feature=iv

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by siren
    Disgaea could no be done on PS1 without sacrificing frames in the character animations. Disgaa was different cuz nippon ichio software decided to go with that style, if you check all the tactical rpg games, almost all of them use sprites. And about Sony stopping games like disgaea from appearing on the ps3, Nippon Ichi Software already confirmed that they are developing a ps3 title in the makai wars universe. Also, the evolution of sprite based games is Cell Shaded, so i wouldnt be surprised to see almost all sprite base games now being cell shaded.

And as Steroyd said, im also wondering how the next gen of cell shaded grapics will look like. Im not worried about photorealistic pics, im more interested in someday seeing a game with anime like graphics and animation, like the one used in one of those cell presentations, where you see anime girl face with anime like animatios. Do you think that it will be posible in this next gen of gaming????
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Studios come and go, but good games last forever"

blois
    CoD 2 is also avalaible on ps2. Of course the graphics on 360 is better but, is really good on ps too.
    It doesn't make the 360 much different than existing consoles. I mean the leap forward is not impressive enough to me to pay 400.

A1rF0rce01
    Quote Originally Posted by blois
    CoD 2 is also avalaible on ps2. Of course the graphics on 360 is better but, is really good on ps too.
    It doesn't make the 360 much different than existing consoles. I mean the leap forward is not impressive enough to me to pay 400.
    well that may be true now. But there are some really awesome games coming out in 06. I really want to know some more about saint's row. That games looks nice. Looks a lot like gta but with a lot better gfx.

Elite Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by A1rF0rce01
    Quote Originally Posted by blois
    well that may be true now. But there are some really awesome games coming out in 06. I really want to know some more about saint's row. That games looks nice. Looks a lot like gta but with a lot better gfx.
    I just can't give any rispect for Saint's Row. What I have seen and heard from many sources, it's straight copy from GTA. There's nothing original there.
    Man who chase after bus get exhausted, man who run in front of bus get tired
    Man who masturbates in class has firm grip of subject at hand
    Woman who sink in man's arms soon have arms in man's sink

curryking1

[LIVE]Star Wars demo coming blah blah title inside

One thing gamers look forward to the most is the demo of an upcoming title they may be anticipating. LucasArts understands this and has officially confirmed that Star Wars: The Force Unleashed will be receiving a demo on the PlayStation Network. Though no time frame has been given on when you can expect this to hit our weekly updates, Cameron Suey, the producer in charge of the title has recently made some comments in regards to not only the demo, but the title itself.

"I'm not certain about the specifics, but we definitely want to get this game out into people's hands," Suey told VideoGamer. "There are people who are excited about it, who are going to play it right away, whether they play it (the demo) or not. But I think something that is wonderful is that the gameplay itself is so engaging, people who aren't Star Wars fans or who aren't even hardcore gamers, once they get their hands on some of the gameplay and how it works, are really going to be won over by it."

When asked specifically about a demo for the game, Suey replied "Yeah. We definitely want to get it out there."

If a release date is confirmed within the next couple of months, we'll be sure to update you guys on when you can expect to get your hands on this next installment in the Star Wars franchise.

Source

Thread Information