Latest PSU headlines:

Elite Sage

A Backwards Compatibility question for Xbox 360.

Okay i'm a little urked about the PS3's B/C problem of not being able to transfer my save files to the newer system.

But i was just wondering if the memory units from Xbox are compatible with the Xbox 360.

Can you copy all your saves onto the memory unit and just put it into the Xbox 360, and are there some things you can't transfer onto the the Xbox 360 from Xbox like downloadable maps?

Veteran

Re: A B/C question for Xbox 360.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroyd
    Okay i'm a little urked about the PS3's B/C problem of not being able to transfer my save files to the newer system.

But i was just wondering if the memory units from Xbox are compatible with the Xbox 360.

Can you copy all your saves onto the memory unit and just put it into the Xbox 360, and are there some things you can't transfer onto the the Xbox 360 from Xbox like downloadable maps?
    \

Not currently and potentially not ever.

You can contact MS to get your downloaded content that is backward compatible and cost money transferred over, but it can be a bit of a hastle to do so.

In the future you will be able to save games online through Xbox Live Gold, so I don't expect this to be a problem anymore going into the future.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. This is a personal communication and in no way represents the official or unofficial views or opinions of my employer.

Anthony Hanses - Owner - Colloquy LLC

Elite Sage
    so Xbox 360's "reason for B/C" gets killed off as well... figures.

So if someone downloaded the Halo map pack from Live, they'd have to shell out extra money to transfer it to your Xbox 360.

So can't you just put the Xbox memory unit into the Xbox 360 and play your game saves like that, like how PS2 had the exact same slot for PS1, but PS1 saves weren't tansferable to the PS2 memory card.

If you can't why didn't MS change their memory unit to something else, like how Sony switching to memory sticks.

Dedicated Member
    Why would you not make Xbox and Xbox 360 memory units compatible if you are not gonna switch to something else, one more hassle to add to backward compatibility with games at least for now.

Master Guru
    There are some ways tp get your PS2 game saves onto a memory stick duo. For example, there's a 16MB USB drive made for the PS2 that allows you to transfer files to your PC, and if your computer has a memory stick slot (or you have a PSP) then you can transfer those from your PS2->PC->PSP/Memory Stick Duo

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by findaway
    Why would you not make Xbox and Xbox 360 memory units compatible if you are not gonna switch to something else, one more hassle to add to backward compatibility with games at least for now.
    One big thing to keep in mind, few Xbox games even allowed you to save them on the memory unit. The largest use of the Xbox memory unit was to carry around your Xbox Live account.

Thus, even if they let you, you wouldn't be able to.

As for the downloadable content usage. Like I said, you should be able to get that transfered to the 360 if you make a phone call.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. This is a personal communication and in no way represents the official or unofficial views or opinions of my employer.

Elite Sage
    What about games saves?

i mean you spend years trying to complete co-op on legendary with your mate...and then it's gone o_O

of course if you and your mate can be bothered you'll try again but with all the new pretty graphics...
    Big Boss Emblem FTW!

Veteran
    What about games saves?

i mean you spend years trying to complete co-op on legendary with your mate...and then it's gone o_O

of course if you and your mate can be bothered you'll try again but with all the new pretty graphics...
    I blame that more on the stupid devs that wouldn't allow you to copy your save game off in the first place.

If they did, you might have been able to use a USB flash drive with an adapter to get the game over to the Xbox360.

Superior Member
    Why blame the devs? Did they know how the Xbox 360 will function before they made a game for the Xbox? If they fully didn't realize that allowing save files to copied off the HDD or memory card was necessary for BC then they can't be to blame.

Elite Sage
    oh wow!!

i thought limited B/C was bad enough but if you've only recently completely Half - Life 2 on Xbox it's literally rendered obsolete already.

awe it doesn't affet me anyway my hard drive got wiped clean anyway because i didn't play on it for so long.... well that or my sister has been pushing buttons.

Veteran
    oh wow!!

i thought limited B/C was bad enough but if you've only recently completely Half - Life 2 on Xbox it's literally rendered obsolete already.

awe it doesn't affet me anyway my hard drive got wiped clean anyway because i didn't play on it for so long.... well that or my sister has been pushing buttons.
    Well, consider that for most of the people MS intends to sell the Xbox360 too (they want to sell at least 60 Million systems this time around, over double last time) they put in the Backward compat to allow them to just play the games they never did/could.

Now, for all the complaining, we need to realize, Sony is the only company to ever allow save transfers directly with the PS1 / PS2 memory cards. Still, Sony is cutting this off with the PS3.

No one else ever has.

In addition, MS is building the infrastructure to make this a non-issue with Online game saves. With that, you will be able to access your game saves on any future Xbox Platform.

Elite Sage
    well to be fair there are ways around to trasnfer your games saves to PS3, but either way you put it you have to shell out cash.

hmm... maybe i should take Ken Kutaragi seriously when he was talking about Cell server wih a terabyte of storage, the guy's been right so far.

BustenRhymes7790

Thread Information