Page 2 of 146 FirstFirst ... 212 ... LastLast
    REFLEX
    Quote Originally Posted by sonics6 View Post
    I read through the first post - good job Reflex! There something you might want to add in the 'contrast' question - many people get confused between 'contrast' and 'dynamic constrast' . For those who don't know, dynamic contrast is a technique manufacturers use to artifically enhance the contrast of the picture via additional processing. Every self-respecting videophile turns this feature off because it does more harm than good. The figures people buying TV's should be looking at are actual contrast rather than dynamic. Hope this helps!

Oh dont worry, I had it in mind for sure! Thanks for reminding me, I have a lot on my plate with this idea here.... eventually it will be near completion and be ready for people to ask more questions to expand the topic more. Ill write up something about that tonight. (I turn off pretty much 90% of all extra processing on my HDTV, black enhancer, max iris (or off, defenitly not auto) and so on there are many to turn off hehe).

I am need of some help with my HDTV in different scenario than those posted here I think. I recently bought this 42" LCD HDTV w/ 1080p and am trying to hook this up to my computer. My video card has dual DVI and one is for my PC monitor, the other this HDTV.
    Having trouble displaying a "clone" of my desktop on the TV. Ive tried most settings and nothing. The only time it actually displays anything is on the windows loading screen where the 3 blue squares go across that bar over and over until windows loads.
    Any suggestions?

(Random thot when i was wrtiting this, what if the ps3 can dual display and one display for game, the other for the main ps3 menu <xmb is it? i dunno i dont own a ps3 yet> ehehe)

Question...

i recently picked up a PS3, and this is the HDTV i got at home...
    http://www.planetomni.com/MSPLAS_HTC...00TA_DTL.shtml

the tv doesnt have hdmi plug nor dvi (or i think not), so is there another kind of hdmi cable where i can plug to my tv?

or maybe some one could look over the specs on my tv (linked above) and suggest something to me?

thanks in advance, really appreciate any sort of help
    PNP: rcky
    - Resistance
    - Ridge Racer 7
    - NBA 2k7

REFLEX
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyhk View Post
    Question...

i recently picked up a PS3, and this is the HDTV i got at home...
    http://www.planetomni.com/MSPLAS_HTC...00TA_DTL.shtml

the tv doesnt have hdmi plug nor dvi (or i think not), so is there another kind of hdmi cable where i can plug to my tv?

or maybe some one could look over the specs on my tv (linked above) and suggest something to me?

thanks in advance, really appreciate any sort of help
    You need component cables. You can use the PS2 components ..... you need special Component Cables made for the Playstation, like I said you can use the PS2 ones.

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Component-.../dp/B00005MDZE

something like that. they arent expensive, this will give you a good quality HD feed into your tv. You have a 720p HDTV and this will do you just fine. Youll get all the HD you could want. Enjoy.

^THank you buddy!! ima try that out.
    PNP: rcky
    - Resistance
    - Ridge Racer 7
    - NBA 2k7

REFLEX
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyhk View Post
    ^THank you buddy!! ima try that out.
    No problem, just remember that you need to set up your PS3/HDTV properly when adding the Component cables, its all ya need.

what is dynamic ration all about?? I heard many claiming that this is the "false" ratio of a tv (LCD).. then what is a good dynamic ratio look like? or what is the equivalent in "true" ratio?

the TV im planning on buying is the samsung LNS3241D , 32", with a 3000:1 ratio (which i heard is dynamic)... thanks for thoughts!

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by S_F_H View Post
    what is dynamic ration all about?? I heard many claiming that this is the "false" ratio of a tv (LCD).. then what is a good dynamic ratio look like? or what is the equivalent in "true" ratio?

the TV im planning on buying is the samsung LNS3241D , 32", with a 3000:1 ratio (which i heard is dynamic)... thanks for thoughts!
    this is some nice info about contrast ratio

A high contrast ratio is a desirable feature on any display. By definition, contrast ratio measures the luminosity of the brightest and darkest color that an LCD can display. If a display has a poor contrast ratio there will be a lack of true black and desaturated colors.

There are a variety of methods that can be used to measure a display's contrast ratio and each of these methods can provide a wide array of results for the same display. A typical contrast ratio may be noted as 1000:1 or 100:1. The larger number will result in the best contrast. Display manufacturers and designers prefer different methods of measurements.

Manufacturers measure the contrast ratio based on methods that isolate the display from the system, whereas, designers prefer methods that allow them to factor in the room effect. Ideally a room absorbs all light and the only light displayed would be from the monitor, however, in actual rooms some of the light is reflected back to the display which effectively decreases the contrast ratio.

To further complicate contrast ratio measurements, one must consider both static and dynamic contrast ratios. The static ratio only considers luminosity levels at a single instance in time, whereas, the dynamic ratio considers the luminosity the monitor displays over a period of time. This may be thought of more simply by referring to the static ratio as measuring a static image and the dynamic ratio by considering the affects of a more dynamic or moving image.

Ideal Room Measurement
    This type of measurement is typical of manufacturers because it results in the highest possible contrast ratios. This is done by keeping the room at optimum conditions so that the reflective light remains constant. Testing in this manner has no affect on luminance levels, however, it does inflate the light levels.

Real Room Measurement
    Contras ratios are more realistic when measured in real rooms that expose the display to conditions where some light is reflected back to the display. ANSI contrast simultaneously measures luminosity values using a checker board patterned test image.

Optimal and Degraded

The Ideal Room Measurement (full on/full off) measurement method effectively measures the dynamic contrast ratio of a display, while the Real Room Measurement (ANSI contrast) is best used to measure static contrast ratio.

Comparing dynamic and static contrast ratios is similar to one trying to compare apples and oranges. These items should never be directly compared. Some manufactures choose to market only the dynamic contrast ratio when the result is better than the display's static ratio. A display with a static contrast ratio of 10000:1 is a much better display than one with a 10000:1 dynamic and 5000:1 static contrast ratio when the input signal contains full range of brightness' from 0 to 100% simultaneously. However the displays will be equal when the input signal range is decreased to a 0 to 20% brightness level.

In order to achieve optimum contrast ratio results, displays are typically measured in completely dark rooms. It will be nearly impossible to achieve these same results during normal viewing conditions. The reduction in contrast ratio will depend on the display luminance and the reflective light in the room.

Samsung HL-S5087W 50" DLP Display
    Yamaha RX-V2700 AV Receiver
    Microsoft Xbox 360 Premium
    Sony Playstation 3 @ 1080p

Bl@ck M@gic
    I'm getting an LCD for christmas and was wondering is it bad for the screen if direct sun light shines on it.

Dedicated Member
    I'm on a budget and was wondering what everyone thought about this HDTV?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16889022002

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bl@ck M@gic View Post
    I'm getting an LCD for christmas and was wondering is it bad for the screen if direct sun light shines on it.
    For LCD's it doesn't really matter. An advantage LCD's have over other flat-panel displays is that they have a very high brightness, meaning you could easily watch it in a bright room.
    Torn between getting a UK or US PS3 - decisions, decisions....

Quote Originally Posted by Uroboric Forms View Post
    I'm on a budget and was wondering what everyone thought about this HDTV?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16889022002
    The response time, 8ms, is borderline optimal. So the possibility of ghosting may be there. There is no HD tuner, so no over the air HD broadcast. There is no HDMI input. And the speakers are only 10w so an external system may be something you will have to think about. When on a budget, the best thing to do is shop carefully and compare a lot of different type of tv's, not just LCD's.

Quote Originally Posted by sonics6 View Post
    For LCD's it doesn't really matter. An advantage LCD's have over other flat-panel displays is that they have a very high brightness, meaning you could easily watch it in a bright room.
    Wrong. Sunlight will not damage an LCD, but LCD is the least bright of all TV types. The low contrast ratio of most LCD's, compared to other type of tv's cause a white washed picture in bright rooms. CRT's and Plasma are the most bright and are better suited for large, windowed rooms.

REFLEX
    Im finally back from holidays.... seems too soon if you ask me, I hate coming back into the city... oh well in the next few days ill start finishing this up again.

I'am getting a lcd but I'm unsure which one to get, my view disdance is 4ft. I'am thinking of getting a sony kdl 20s2000, is this a good choice/size for me?

tv specs below:
    http://http://www.netanttila.com/web...tegoryId=22160

and i have a yamaha rxv 359 that I would like to connect with the tv, possible?

REFLEX
    Quote Originally Posted by peaS3 View Post
    I'am getting a lcd but I'm unsure which one to get, my view disdance is 4ft. I'am thinking of getting a sony kdl 20s2000, is this a good choice/size for me?

tv specs below:
    http://http://www.netanttila.com/web...tegoryId=22160

and i have a yamaha rxv 359 that I would like to connect with the tv, possible?
    Hi,

I cannot use that link for some reason, doesnt work. But I found a different link, but I couldnt find the total specs like contrast or response time.

From what Ive seen so far and based on your seating distance - this TV should be fine for you. It has HDMI and component Inputs for HD sources like the PS3. Its 720p so thats good for gaming, and the size is alright for your distance when your sitting.

If you could find a better link with specifics I could tell you more, but so far so good.

And about your yamaha rxv 359 reciever, it has no HDMI inputs or outputs, so you cannot connect it using HDMI, .. .but you can easily hook the PS3 up to the TV with HDMI and hook the PS3 up to the reciever with an optical cord for good sound, it wont be the latest in high defenition uncompressed surround sound, but it will be just fine otherwise.

Thank you so very much for the answer. Sorry to hear
    the link did'n work.
    I'll list the specs and you can tell me what you think.

To start with , the contrast ratio is 1200:1, response time 8ms and
    brightness 500cd/m2.

and the rest, I hope you find here http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?s...&view=detailed

thank you again.

Master Guru
    Can someone explain to me the value or specifics of an upconverting DVD player?

I have a 65" 1080i Mitusbishi LCD HDTV and I was wondering if it would be worth it, if I got the correct kind...

I have never personally seen one in action, so (a.) what exactldy does it do, (b.) is it worth it, (c.) anything else I need to know...

Cy

REFLEX
    Thank you so very much for the answer. Sorry to hear
    the link did'n work.
    I'll list the specs and you can tell me what you think.

To start with , the contrast ratio is 1200:1, response time 8ms and
    brightness 500cd/m2.

and the rest, I hope you find here http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?s...&view=detailed

thank you again.
    Well for such a small screen you should be alright. Ofcourse we can tell you that 1200:1 contrast isnt very good and that youd be better off with something better than 8ms response time (you should be looking for 6ms and under). But in your case this is what you will get almost no matter what company or type of TV you buy. In the end youll be fine, it has what you need to connect to the PS3 in the best possible way.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrann View Post
    Can someone explain to me the value or specifics of an upconverting DVD player?

I have a 65" 1080i Mitusbishi LCD HDTV and I was wondering if it would be worth it, if I got the correct kind...

I have never personally seen one in action, so (a.) what exactldy does it do, (b.) is it worth it, (c.) anything else I need to know...

Cy
    (a.) the basic purpose of a upconverting dvd player is to assist the TV in creating a better suited image/movie for your HDTV. Normally when you watch DVDs on a HDTV the TV has to do extra processing that it normally wouldnt have to do becuase the resolution of the DVD is considerable lower than 720p/1080i or 1080p. In basic terms the process is guessing when and where to add information that was never there before, such as colour - to fill the rest of the misssing resolution. This by no means makes it HD, no where near, it just fills out the missing pieces to make the image quality look close to how it should - instead of smeared across the screen, It also cleans up the image and takes out some processing junk that youd see as a result of non-upconversion.

(b.) It is worth it if you plan on using and enjoying your DVD collection for the next few years still. Which most people do plan on doing, even people like myself who have adopted the HD DVD or Blu-ray discs into their home... I still have WAY more regular DVDs. And I like to watch them, so naturally on my 60" HDTV id like them to atleast look decent. Fortunatly my Toshiba HD DVD player is regarded as a very good upconverting DVD player as well so Iam in luck in that area. The answer to your question is simple, if you like DVDs and continue to watch them then YES, its totally worth it.

(c.) You should really check out AVS forums for more specific details on actual unit #'s and stuff from companies, some of us here in the PS3 forums have lots of know how about this stuff but we do not specialize in every area of this stuff, You dont need to or have to go to AVS forums but Id do your homework if I were you and find out what quality of upconversion your future player will get, some are much better than others, just because it says "upconverting" doesnt make it that great. All upconverting players have Component and HDMI outputs, so technically they can outpout a "HD" signal. Some players are much better than others, I think that should be a reminder to you while you shop for one, find out which is better for your price range. Also, if you can find one or want one or can afford it or whatever, check out the Toshiba HD DVD players, not only are they great HD DVD players but they handle DVDs very well. Anyway.... I think you have what you need to figure the rest out on your own. Good luck.

Master Guru
    REFLEX, I thought you would be my go to forum member...

REFLEX
    Huh??? What? Hehehe? I dont get it? I think while you typed that I was typing the answers for you... heeh.

thank you for the replys reflex.

one more:

can I connect the tv to my amplifier?

cheers my friend.

REFLEX
    thank you for the replys reflex.

one more:

can I connect the tv to my amplifier?

cheers my friend.

No problem.

Connect your TV how to the reciever how? In some cases yes..... but you should be concerned with hooking the PS3 up to the amp and then into the TV, or in your probable case... hooking the PS3 up to the TV and up to the amp at the same time (HDMI to TV and optical to AMP).

anyway ppl can dump there blu ray dvd's for someone else to burn it and play on there bd player

REFLEX
    Quote Originally Posted by itb165 View Post
    anyway ppl can dump there blu ray dvd's for someone else to burn it and play on there bd player

I dont know if this is possible yet... er.... I mean im sure its possible, but I dont know if anyone has really done this yet - well... sorrry, again.. Im sure that someone has done it but I dont think that its being done all that often right now because its probably more difficult than a regular DVD. Someone might know more.

Thread Information