Page 3 of 146 FirstFirst ... 313 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by itb165 View Post
    anyway ppl can dump there blu ray dvd's for someone else to burn it and play on there bd player
    Not at this point. People have successfully "dumped" the data off of the disc (that's pretty easy), but the data in that format is completely useless. There are two significant copy protections in place on Blu-ray discs, and neither has been "cracked" yet. The first, AACS (which is also used on HD DVD), was claimed to have been hacked, but the program that was created requires the user to have a valid decryption key. So that really hasn't been done yet. When AACS is cracked, backing up HD DVDs should be possible, but Blu-rays have a secondary proprietary copy protection that would take significantly more effort. It will likely be a long while before Blu-ray copy protection is cracked... if at all. Even if a valid player title key were found, future Blu-ray titles would be made to block out the key/keys that have been compromised. Sorry.

My Setup - PS3 60 GB, Sony 55" SXRD HDTV w/1080p, Sony 7.1 Receiver w/ JBL Surround Package
    PSN ID: JadedRaverLA
    My PS3 / Blu-ray blog -- http://jadedraverla.spaces.live.com/

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by REFLEX View Post
    Huh??? What? Hehehe? I dont get it? I think while you typed that I was typing the answers for you... heeh.
    That is exactly what happened, my bad...

Thanks REFLEX...

badfish72
    Not sure why I cant post a question..but...
    I just got my ps3 2 days ago and bought superman blue ray. Using the controller I cant seem to move around the dvd menu. Also, it doesnt give me any options for audio.
    Is there a remote that sony sells to help watch movies???

REFLEX
    Yes there is an official PS3 remote.....

Also you should be able to navigate the Blu-ray or DVD menus with the controller.... using the D-pad, if it doesnt work then something is wrong.

astroboy2k5
    I noticed on the PS3 that you can adjust the captions to any language. Does this mean that i can watch any blu-ray movie and get chinese sub titles.

thanks

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by astroboy2k5 View Post
    I noticed on the PS3 that you can adjust the captions to any language. Does this mean that i can watch any blu-ray movie and get chinese sub titles.

thanks
    I don't think the PS3 will convert subtitles of a movie, but rather only the words/screens of the PS3 menu/shop (XMB).

Each Blu-Ray is different and or has its own set of languages/subtitles/features...

That's my understanding!

REFLEX
    Yeah the Language menu is for the XMB and SOME games.... for instance if you change the Language to Portugese the XMB will be in Portugese and so will the menus and title screens in Resistance fall of Man, but not the talking or anything.

You cant alter the subtitles on movies no.

Blu-ray and 1080i???

My projector will work up to 1080i (infocus sp5000). I have a ps3 connected to my projector and have it working at 1080i. Will a blu-ray disk work properly on the 1080i setting, and if so how do I maximize the capability? What would be the difference in a blu-ray disk working on a output device at 1080i -vs- 1080p? Thanks!

Blu-Ray Playback over component cables

I have a question about Blu-Ray movie playback over component cables....Does the ps3 Downscal 1080p movies to 480p over component cables due to the lack of HDCP?
    Sorry if you think this is a stupid question.....My old Sony does not show the display output like my new 40" LCD does.(and it needs to be focused) (i just want to know if my Blu-Ray playback is at 1080i over component)

I have my PS3 connected via Sony PS2 component cables to my 52" in the family room
    & a 6' HDMI cable Through the wall to my bedroom wallmounted 1080p 40" Sony LCD!

This way I can switch between TV's with out moving or unplugging anything! (just changing the setup options every time I want to use the PS3 on the other TV)

Thanks for all your great info Reflex!!!!
    Gwill11
    MY-Setup: Sony 40" BRAVIA V-Series HDTV (KDL-40V2500) & Sony 52" (KP-51HW40)

REFLEX
    Quote Originally Posted by dpoc5410 View Post
    My projector will work up to 1080i (infocus sp5000). I have a ps3 connected to my projector and have it working at 1080i. Will a blu-ray disk work properly on the 1080i setting, and if so how do I maximize the capability? What would be the difference in a blu-ray disk working on a output device at 1080i -vs- 1080p? Thanks!
    The blu-ray movies should work up to 1080i on your projector no problem. Maximize the capability? Im not quite sure what you mean by that. Blu-ray movies at 1080i/p should be nearly the same if not identical, but thats if it were a perfect test somehow on a pair of identical HDTVs and somehow 1 is 1080i and the other is 1080p accepting 1080p. In the real world people tend to forget that all series of HDTVs and makes of HDTVs use different technology (even if they are all LCD or DLP or Plasma etc.), different chips, different processing, different setting parameters.... all can effect how it looks in many ways. It should be the same with these films, because of frame rates/pulldown ....

Quote Originally Posted by Gwill11 View Post
    I have a question about Blu-Ray movie playback over component cables....Does the ps3 Downscal 1080p movies to 480p over component cables due to the lack of HDCP?
    Sorry if you think this is a stupid question.....My old Sony does not show the display output like my new 40" LCD does.(and it needs to be focused) (i just want to know if my Blu-Ray playback is at 1080i over component)

I have my PS3 connected via Sony PS2 component cables to my 52" in the family room
    & a 6' HDMI cable Through the wall to my bedroom wallmounted 1080p 40" Sony LCD!

This way I can switch between TV's with out moving or unplugging anything! (just changing the setup options every time I want to use the PS3 on the other TV)

Thanks for all your great info Reflex!!!!
    Gwill11
    Well, HDCP constricting isnt really in place .. yet... or ever, they havent really decided if they are going to use that stuff. Most HDTVs cannot accept 1080p with Component (even though Component can carry technically carry 1080p) so thats why they use HDCP, or rather thats why it doesnt work. You can easily input 1080i into HDTVs with Component that can accept 1080i in the first place. Blu-ray playback will be 1080i over Component if your TV accepts 1080i. Most do.

Thanks...

Reflex, thanks so much for taking the time to answer all of our questions and for imparting your knowledge on the issues. I think most people bought the ps3 with the intent of using it for much more than just a gaming platform. The reason I asked ab out the 1080i is because I had seen in a couple of places where Sony made a statement along the lines of blu-ray not working properly if the output device was did not have 1080p. Thanks again!

REFLEX
    Quote Originally Posted by dpoc5410 View Post
    Reflex, thanks so much for taking the time to answer all of our questions and for imparting your knowledge on the issues. I think most people bought the ps3 with the intent of using it for much more than just a gaming platform. The reason I asked ab out the 1080i is because I had seen in a couple of places where Sony made a statement along the lines of blu-ray not working properly if the output device was did not have 1080p. Thanks again!

There was an issue with some games and Blu-ray movies not playing properly on 720p sets...... especially ones that dont accept 1080i/720p. Youll be fine.

Dedicated Member
    Does anyone have a link to the blu-ray vs HDDVD sales at amazon.com?

I read someone saying they had seen something where Blu-ray was outselling HDDVD at amazon, and I made a comment about it, and now of course they are asking for a link to back up the statement.

Anyone know where I can get this information?

Thanks!

REFLEX
    Cant seem to find it anywhere... I knew I was reading that too - on AVS forums I think.... cant find it - sorry, Im sure someone can find you a link though..... oh.. .wait!

I found exactly what I was looking for!

http://www.hdgamedb.com/amazon/rank.aspx

updating with Amazon.com's server.... every 30 minutes. NICE.

Dedicated Member
    Thanks for the help Reflex

REFLEX
    No problem, I hope it was what you were looking for.

majinvegeta
    Hi guys!!

I have not posted in a while, kinda got sick of those anti-ps3 threads but...I am now here for some help on deciding what TV to get!!! and I need a reply fast, I wanna get one today...yes, I am impatient AGREED :P.

First off, this is a TV that will go in the living room, we will be watching it from 15 feet away I guess. We had a 27" Sony Trinitron SDTV and that was pretty nice size, but now we want something bigger and better!

We are looking for a HDTV, and I am having a difficult time deciding which one to get. Price range? 2000 - 2500 CANADIAN DOLLARS. I have checked Futureshop and they do have some neat deals that are really attractive, but is it worth it?

Deal #1: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...gon=&langid=EN

- Hitachi 55 inch Widescreen LCD Projection HDTV
    - Comes with stand and 5.1 channel 600W speaker set!
    - $1999.99 - very awesome price for a very big tv.
    - it supports 480i>480p>720p>1080i

I like it, but is there anything better? should I get a Plasma instead or maybe a LCD? I would really like to get a Sony Bravia instead, but I dont know if its worth it. Thats why I want your guy's help!

acv987

Will this TV display HD??

http://sanyo.com/entertainment/telev...productID=1240
    The website says that all signals are converted to 1080i. I have heard that if a TV does not display 1080p, then the signal will be displayed at 480p if you are using the playstation 3 becuase of the lack of a scaler. I can get this TV really cheap but I do not want it if it is going to display in 480. Anyone have any thoughts?

majinvegeta
    Quote Originally Posted by acv987 View Post
    http://sanyo.com/entertainment/telev...productID=1240
    The website says that all signals are converted to 1080i. I have heard that if a TV does not display 1080p, then the signal will be displayed at 480p if you are using the playstation 3 becuase of the lack of a scaler. I can get this TV really cheap but I do not want it if it is going to display in 480. Anyone have any thoughts?
    looks like no one comes to these threads very often...

but anyways, you MIGHT be able to FORCE 720p on it right? I mean if I can force 1080p on mine and it works, then you might possibly be able to do that on that TV. But im not sure, if you can return it, then go ahead buy and test.

But if its going to upscale...I would imagine that the PS3 would run the game at 480p, but this TV will upscale that 480p to 1080i. How good will it look? I have no idea.

Superior Member

Guys, he said in the specs it supports 720p, so even though the TV scales everything to 1080i, it still accepts a 720p signal, so he won't have the downscaling to 480p. That ONLY happens on sets that don't support a 720p signal.
    United States Air Force Enlisted E-5

I'm looking for some recommendations on which TV to get. I'm going to be upgrading from a 27" SDTV. I would like something a little bigger, probably around a 32". I don't want to go with a huge TV because I'll really only use it for PS3 and Wii, I don't watch TV very often. I would like something with a tuner though because I do watch TV occasionally. My budget is $1000 max, but I'd really only like to spend around $700-800 if I can. Obviously I won't be able to get anything that supports 1080p with this budget. Is this a problem? Should I wait a while for 1080p sets to become more affordable? If I go with a 1080p set am I going to regret it in a year or two?

I have seen a lot of TV's out there that might work for me, but since I plan to use it for gaming mostly I thought this would be a good place to get some advice. It's kind of overwhelming since there are so many TV's out there.

Thank you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    80 GB PS3 ("traded in" launch 20GB, thank you gamestop warranty)

REFLEX
    Quote Originally Posted by majinvegeta View Post
    Hi guys!!

I have not posted in a while, kinda got sick of those anti-ps3 threads but...I am now here for some help on deciding what TV to get!!! and I need a reply fast, I wanna get one today...yes, I am impatient AGREED :P.

First off, this is a TV that will go in the living room, we will be watching it from 15 feet away I guess. We had a 27" Sony Trinitron SDTV and that was pretty nice size, but now we want something bigger and better!

We are looking for a HDTV, and I am having a difficult time deciding which one to get. Price range? 2000 - 2500 CANADIAN DOLLARS. I have checked Futureshop and they do have some neat deals that are really attractive, but is it worth it?

Deal #1: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...gon=&langid=EN

- Hitachi 55 inch Widescreen LCD Projection HDTV
    - Comes with stand and 5.1 channel 600W speaker set!
    - $1999.99 - very awesome price for a very big tv.
    - it supports 480i>480p>720p>1080i

I like it, but is there anything better? should I get a Plasma instead or maybe a LCD? I would really like to get a Sony Bravia instead, but I dont know if its worth it. Thats why I want your guy's help!

That HDTV will do you just fine, it will accept 720p and 1080i so your OK. Id say if its what your looking for, shop around a little more (just so you dont pass another good deal on something different) and go for it. Thats a basic instruction I can give.... or rather idea to share.

Quote Originally Posted by JordanIsHere View Post
    I'm looking for some recommendations on which TV to get. I'm going to be upgrading from a 27" SDTV. I would like something a little bigger, probably around a 32". I don't want to go with a huge TV because I'll really only use it for PS3 and Wii, I don't watch TV very often. I would like something with a tuner though because I do watch TV occasionally. My budget is $1000 max, but I'd really only like to spend around $700-800 if I can. Obviously I won't be able to get anything that supports 1080p with this budget. Is this a problem? Should I wait a while for 1080p sets to become more affordable? If I go with a 1080p set am I going to regret it in a year or two?

I have seen a lot of TV's out there that might work for me, but since I plan to use it for gaming mostly I thought this would be a good place to get some advice. It's kind of overwhelming since there are so many TV's out there.

Thank you!
    Your right, it is overwhelming. Hopefully we can help a bit. For a 32" take a look at some Samsung of Sony LCDs. Id reccomend 720p in your case. You can get cheaper 1080p HDTVs but I would reccomend against that for a few reasons, most of which I wont get into at the time. If you get a 1080p HDTV now you will NOT regret it, ever. 1080p will be around for a good long while. I dont want to get into specific HDTVs but take a look (even just for reference) at bestbuy.com or something for HDTVs in your price and size range. Youll find something you like. There are also really nice rear projection HDTVs that you should look into, LCD or DLPS..... Id reccoment SXRD or Plasma but they dont get too small and Plasma (for good ones) gets really expensive really quick.

Yeah sorry that was a typo, I meant if I go with a 720p set will I regret in a year or two? That's probably my most important question. But I just don't see anything 1080p thats in my price range.

Thanks a lot for your recommendations.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    80 GB PS3 ("traded in" launch 20GB, thank you gamestop warranty)

majinvegeta
    Quote Originally Posted by REFLEX View Post
    That HDTV will do you just fine, it will accept 720p and 1080i so your OK. Id say if its what your looking for, shop around a little more (just so you dont pass another good deal on something different) and go for it. Thats a basic instruction I can give.... or rather idea to share.

Your right, it is overwhelming. Hopefully we can help a bit. For a 32" take a look at some Samsung of Sony LCDs. Id reccomend 720p in your case. You can get cheaper 1080p HDTVs but I would reccomend against that for a few reasons, most of which I wont get into at the time. If you get a 1080p HDTV now you will NOT regret it, ever. 1080p will be around for a good long while. I dont want to get into specific HDTVs but take a look (even just for reference) at bestbuy.com or something for HDTVs in your price and size range. Youll find something you like. There are also really nice rear projection HDTVs that you should look into, LCD or DLPS..... Id reccoment SXRD or Plasma but they dont get too small and Plasma (for good ones) gets really expensive really quick.
    Well, I went today and I did not buy it. First off those *******s at futureshop gave me a measly 1000 credit on their futureshop card. Which is USELESS!! I can't buy any nice tv at that price unless im looking for a 22" lcd monitor. Pissed me off, now I am stuck having to spend like 900 bux cash just to get the damn thing.

But anyways, what I am really worried about regarding that 55" Projection TV is that I hear the lamp life sucks? the futureshop guy tells me its like 7000 hours, which is pretty small.

So is this really the case? is Projection really worth it? or should I just go for a LCD instead?

Superior Member
    I bought a Sony Bravia KDL v32 s2000 and it looks stunning, I picked it up about 3 months ago fearing it would drop in price after Christmas over here in Tokyo, Japan. But to my surprise and delight, the exact opposite happened, it doubled in price to about $2000 USD.

It has one HDMI input and a ton of other inputs, sorry I can`t be fussed naming them all, but they suffice to say the least.

Thread Information