Page 1 of 5 1 ... LastLast
    lilsam

Home - Will The Novelty Last?

Ok, the anticipation around Home is big and its openly being touted as an "Xbox Live killer", with fanboys quickly dashing to their keyboards to gloat about their upcoming internet service. Sure, it looks absolutely amazing on paper, using a 3d character with apartments and trophies, whilst being free of charge! The prospects are endless.
    Ok, imagine looking desperately for an online game only to be met by screaming kids making as much noise as possible. Its free, so its definitely not a prospect to be ruled out, with sure gloating and abuse reigning in through your ears a distinct possibility. Theres other worries, which could be even more frustrating. If people are all busy showing off trophies and apartments, how much actual online gaming will be going on? Large games such as Warhawk may be frustrating, with you unable to fully use the online play to the maximum, with users instead gloating to shocked onlookers about their multiple achievements. Many may differ, but its foolish to suggest this couldn't be an issue, especially as more online games are out, with more options and less actual gaming. First and foremost, Sony need to make sure they retain high standard of Net play, making it easy to use, possibly taking a leaf out of Microsofts book.
    Moreover, how long til people get bored of this service and return to the simple, much maligned Playstation Network. Setting up matches may be difficult using Home, as how are you going to aqquire 40 players in a crowd of varying game tastes, with many instead placing emphasis on relaxation. How long til people are bored of bowling and playing pool? Its nothing to keep supposed "gamers" interested for wrong, and I can guarantee the novelty will have wore off by a week.
    Home...looks like an amazing idea on paper..but will it come off? Is it enough to satisfy online gamers? Or will it simply be an overcrowded place of screaming and be detrimental to the PS3's online service? Only time will tell.

sofaking13
    Interesting.....aren't kids already obnoxious as hell on the PS network? ha, I just don't see that ever changing, and I don't think it will be any different on Home. And sure you might want to show off your newest trophy, but that shouldn't take away from the gaming, I mean....you decide what to do, do you sit and stare at a trophy, or game it up like your supposed to.....

Paragraphs my friend... paragraphs...

Anyways, I'm sure the people creating home have the same inquiries as you so I would expect them to continue to tease their users with updates and new things constantly to keep the flow going.

Heck, when you're waiting in that Warhawk servers queue, there's nothing wrong with a little pool riight? I am not sure how you are supposed to put games together and such but if there isn't already, I'm sure a queue system will have some play like any other mmo.

I sympathize with you thinking that the whole idea could get boring but so does waiting in ironforge! (World of Warcraft if you didn't play at one point)

Edit: With the whole kids idea i'm sure they'll have mods running around booting left and right, so I have no worries in that department.
    Proud owner of..
    PS3 60gig (ID: Jalappa)
    XBOX 360 Elite (ID: omgitschrisdaw)
    Psp (poop)

Elite Member
    it will last if the devs and sony support it.

The devs have to create homespaces like the one we saw at GDC and support the trophies which shouldnt be hard since they already do that on the 360 with achievements.

Sony needs to sponsor events to make people log on. For example, a virtual E3, Gamer's Day, or TGS would be great. Instead of (or in addition to) putting the trailers for new game in the PSN store, they could create a area in home where you could walk around and look at trailers and access demos.
    Sig by The House
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Superior Member
    almost everyone who owns a ps3 will download home since it is free.

once people start to use it, sony will be able to advertise dlc and other ps3 features from within home so awareness of what the ps3 can do and what games are available will be helped greatly.

as long as sony frequently updates home's features with significant content, people will keep interest. i do mean frequently though.

because ps3 has a projected lifespan of 10 years, over that period of time the standards for graphics and gameplay will undoubtedly change, and home will need to keep up. although from what i have seen home looks spectacular, 5 years from now it wont. graphical updates are a must.

even little things make a big difference, for example the recent update to resistance that adds lip sinc to voice chat is something i have never seen in a game before and should be implemented in home. there will be similar things down the road that people will come to expect in games and thats the kind of stuff that should be added to home.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PS3 60 GB (ugraded to 320 GB) - December 2006
    PSP Slim (m33 custom firmware) - August 2008
    Xbox 360 60 GB - November 2008
    Currently playing: Fallout 3 (Xbox 360), Left 4 Dead

Superior Member

The few times I've been online everyone with a mic was obnoxious. Since those people will be in HOME I'm sure it will be great fun.
    Xbox 360, PS3, PC gamer

Super Elite
    I hope they implement a sector for people with different views and age. I am 25 so I hope that you can be in a mature section. I hated playing dead or alive 4 on the 360 and hearing people say take this, take that, oh no he didn't, and who a$$ is this. I had to put my mike volume down to zero It got rediculous.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] In the darkest abyss I still see you with my perfect sharigan young jedi!

Veteran
    All I can say is that I can't wait for it, since I didn't make to the 1st Beta I wanna check it out now I think it'll last.

Bandw!dth Savior
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    i just hope you can use different forms of transportation in home.. skate boarding woulld be oh so sick...

On topic: as far as how long will it last thats up to the devs to make it fun for people to use...if its just gonna be one big tedious affair i don't think a lot of people will use it..
    Digital Recess
    Signed up before PS3 launch, back again for PS4

Sony

Superior Member
    I don't think it will go away... it's kinda like a virtual myspace... and then some. It will be cool for those with super fast internet connections... unlike myself.

First off have you even tried xbox live? Noisy annoying kids will always be present in the gaming community...period!! Xbox Live has survived this long. So i see no problem with home being here to stay. No one is forcing everyone to play extra side games within home. You can use the software just like Live and jump into games. The difference is we can get all that extra stuff for free and still have a program similar to Live. Now you tell me which is better.

Also why are you saying that everyone will be busy showing off their trophies. How do you think all these trophies will be attained? Obviously you have to play the game to achieve all of those goodies. And how long does it take to show off a trophy? Maybe 1 min. You act like "every" gamer will sit there for hours admiring trophies. Bottom line is this, we bought the system to play. Thats what most everyone will be doing. If they want to relax they will sit in their real couch. How does a virtual couch become relaxing when they are not actually sitting in it. I believe you are making problems bigger than they truely are.

You mention acquiring 40 players will be trouble?? No one in Live goes on trying to grab 40 players. Normally, you see that a friend is on and then you go follow him or send an invite to a friend to follow you if your up for a game. Home will work the same way. Also you can bypass the crowd and just go straight to the "psp interface" to jump into games/places/friends instead of using the actual walking 3d model.

Dedicated Member
    Thats why I hope Home, will have some kinda forum police patrol or something. Because there will be violators.

Sublimely Static
    Honestly it all depends on the support home recieves and the individual users. You may look at it as an alternate way of setting up games. But some people might actually like the idea of roaming around a 3d world talking to other people (who may be near or across the globe) without having to kill people.

I think people seriously underestimate the social interaction element of this. The gaming actually may come second. I find myself judging user screen names by their performance in a video game without knowing anything about skill level or what attidude they take towards gaming. Meeting a gamer in a social setting may allow you to help out a newer gamer, Learn from a more experienced gamer or just find a different approach to playing a game.

This could help the hardcore find each other. The role players. The casual. This social setting may influence some gamers to become more involved or teach others how to relax a bit.

This is just refering to strangers. There are another set of possibilities when mentioning friends, family or clan members. Or if companies decide to bring exclusive content such as movies, music or even meet and greets to home, this just adds another layer.

There is alot to look forward to and I hope home is more of a new way of social gaming than just a new face on an old experience.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by superJoel View Post
    I don't think it will go away... it's kinda like a virtual myspace... and then some. It will be cool for those with super fast internet connections... unlike myself.
    Super fast internet connections? All you really need is standard broadband highspeed service.

Wearevenom1
    Well the way I see it is Sony needs to revamp PSN entirely and turn it into Live but better just to shut everyone up then incorporate it into Home and use Home to advertise the hell out of everything and then use the advertising money to keep the new "live killer" PSN free, or at least that is how I would play it.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    you can MUTE! thats all i have to say

Superior Member
    As far as annoying kids, I'm sure Home will have and "ignore" function much like in Everquest or WoW for those who have ever played. As I did in EQ I plan on making heavy use of the ignore function.

On the other hand there are always cool people to find out there with a little looking, and once you do you can "friend" them and end up finding them every time. I think Home is customizable enough and flexible enough to appeal to just about everyone. After all, it's about most people's favorite subject... themselves.

I'll listen to you show off if you listen to me show off

Elite Sage
    To answer that question, I'm going to bring in a competitor's product:
    Before Live launched, many asked: "Will the novelty of Live last? The ability to connect with all your friends in real time, join games together, talk together, and play together? At a cost of $70 a year?"

I don't know, but if memory servers, Live subscribers are growing each year.

Dynamic applications aren't about novelty anymore. This is a feature that many many PS3 gamers will use. Not only can you play together, you can create your own "apartment", show off trophies, go virtual bowling together, play some pool and even play arcades!

Sure, some of those aspects may get boring, but the core feature won't:
    Connecting gamers world wide.

It's the same principle as Live. You'll obviously buy some Live arcade games, those will get boring, but not the core feature of Live. Which is connecting gamers world wide.
    I am a moron. Do not argue with me because I will drag you down to my level and win with experience .

My Imba 'net speed (no joke):

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher99 View Post
    Super fast internet connections? All you really need is standard broadband highspeed service.
    well... I have DSL, but its the lower bandwith for like $20/mo. 768 KBps or something like that. Pretty slow... every game I've tried online was glitchy... so I gave up. Which would make trying to play online games on Home pretty annoying. Although, I'm sure I could find use on it.

kineticvision
    home is just a novelty. It will get old after a few weeks

Elite Guru
    Not only will Playstation Home work, but it will grown into the biggest and best of it's kind. I will use Home as frequently as playing games on my PS3.

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by kineticvision View Post
    home is just a novelty. It will get old after a few weeks
    Kind of like Live?

I don't think so.

The core feature will never get old simply because we're socializing creatures. The same reason why MSN, AIM, and IM's will never get old. Sure, newer APPS will take them over, but the core functionality is still the same: Connecting people world wide.

Both Live and Home are striving for one simple goal:
    Connecting gamers world wide.

If you think Home is just a novelty, think again--'cause Live disproved your belief 5 years ago, and still is doing it.
    I am a moron. Do not argue with me because I will drag you down to my level and win with experience .

My Imba 'net speed (no joke):

Elite Member
    Items BowserDoom
    Quote Originally Posted by lilsam View Post
    Ok, the anticipation around Home is big and its openly being touted as an "Xbox Live killer", with fanboys quickly dashing to their keyboards to gloat about their upcoming internet service. Sure, it looks absolutely amazing on paper, using a 3d character with apartments and trophies, whilst being free of charge! The prospects are endless.
    Ok, imagine looking desperately for an online game only to be met by screaming kids...
    From what I recall, there was an option to block people so screaming kids shouldn't be a problem; also, I doubt every single user will be in the same place at the same time. I don't know how but probably Home will display a certain amount of users only plus users you specifically want to talk to (my guess).
    I think it will get kind of OLD like everything else, but then again, I don't think anyone is going to expend a huge amount of time in it; probably 10-15 minutes and that's it.
    As far as setting up games, from what I saw in the previews I think users will go to a common place and then be added to a queue; I really doubt this will be a problem.
    Don't worry, it will be just fine; just keep in mind this is not a game but rather an interface to the network.
    Thou shall not question my lame sig
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think it is going to be huge. As a former EQ player I can safely say the social element should not be underestimated. Even after I stopped really enjoying EQ I still played on for 2 or 3 years purley because of the friends I had made. In the end the people were more important than the game.

What I would like to see is big official tournaments running in much the same way as online poker works. For example 800 people sign up for a RFoM tourney tomorrow night at 8. At 8 o clock 20 games each with 40 players automatically start, the winner of each match then goes into the 'final' that starts 5 mins after the other games finish. One person is crowned champ and gets an exclusive trophy or Home content to show off. This to me is the key to generating a loyal, vibrant community.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    saigon1914
    I don't think this will be a novelty only because when devs and other gaming...movie...tv networks...etc...start putting content on HOME...it will never die...i said this before...but watch home compaines use home to benefit advertisements...such as Movie Companies showing Premeir clips of an anticipated Movie...expect to see game sites in home...giving video reviews of games...and so forth...

Thread Information