Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 ... LastLast
    Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Knight View Post
    I don't know if you were asking me but it's is indeed ping. By sattelite, do you mean tv wise?
    Yes I mean you. Some people have satteite internet, no idea how it works and when they do their ping is always high like yours.
    I have lower ping to Australia.

Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Yes I mean you. Some people have satteite internet, no idea how it works and when they do their ping is always high like yours.
    I have lower ping to Australia.
    I clueless, too. I just know my provider is Windstream.
    (Woot woot for Australia.)

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tora_tora View Post
    Woah, I have never ever seen speeds like that before. You must think of a webpage and even before you've typed it in the page loads

Greatness Awaits

Veteran

It's slower now that I've gotten my own place.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim

Meh not bad for wireless

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Helm_of_Darkness
    Items User name style
    I have a new ISP now, cable through Shentel. I have much better speed compared to what I had (a few pages earlier).

Supreme Veteran
    Yea much better pings than last time.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3

A Question about my internet speed?

Well, yesterday I have changed my Internet service provider from Rogers to acompany called Start Communications. My download speed it suppose to be 45 download and UPLOAD 4. I did the test and my download speed was 60 and upload was 3.7 which were good. And now, its compeletly terrible. My download speed goes up to max 11 and upload between 1 or 3.5. Iam using an old wirless router called D LINK WBR 1310 G as I had to buy it when I got my PS3. This could be the issue? Because when I don't use the net for 20 minutes my PC gets disconnected and I have to turn the router off and wait for 3 minutes and than turn it on again and I get back to the net. And also I did the test by using the modem only which is wired and the speed were the same. Iam thinking to get the ASUS router wirless model Asus RT-AC66U. What do you guys think? Should I wait until I get my new wireless router and try it again? Or should I call the company and ask for help? Thanks for any help.

CPU: I7 3820-GPU: Asus Gtx 980 4GB-Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79-HDD: Seagate 2TB-CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X-TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000-PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD-PS3 Slim 750GB-PS VITA 32GB.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    If you want to reach your maximum capable internet speed you will have to use Lan instead of wi-fi. Wi-fi drops your internet speed drastically, especially when the signal is low.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    60Mbps is easily achievable on wifi. Though it wont be as stable as ethernet but pretty close (Depending on your hardware).

Usually internet providers say "up to 45Mbps". Which can vary depending on the network load and the provider's capabilities in the area.

If the speed continues being low contact the provider. There is a chance they can not provide more in your area and a downgrade might be a good idea to get exactly what you pay for.
    It might also be a temporary problem they are having, which in this case they will inform you. Long story short contact your internet provider if speed is consistently bad.

If your internet is disconnecting only when you use the router, reset the router by following the D-Link instructions. If the problem persists a router change might solve the problem.

~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Supreme Veteran
    It could be the stabilisation period, often the ISP will change speed on the line to see what it can handle the best and during this time the speed will increase and decrease.

Keep monitoring it doing speed tests from various sources. Try with different servers over the country to make sure its not a problem with that testing host.

There must be a minimium percentage that they have to provide if they say "up to" at least thats the case inthe UK now, for years ISPs got away with providing slow services even though they said "up to 60Mbit" and the customer got 16Mbit max.

Didn't the new company provide you with modem and router?
    Last edited by keefy; 02-07-2013 at 12:48.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Is the new ISP cable, DSL or wireless based? The wireless router could be the culprit, but if you speed is still slow I would plug in direct and run a speedtest to see what it comes up with, that will tell you pretty quick whether it is the wireless or the service. I know with FiOS I am actually getting fast than my rated speed, I have a 50Mb down/25Mb Up and as you can see below my speeds are quite above that! I know if it is cable based it could be the node that you are on, which is shared by x amount of people in your area, so if someone is going download crazy it can affect your speed.

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertox View Post
    If you want to reach your maximum capable internet speed you will have to use Lan instead of wi-fi. Wi-fi drops your internet speed drastically, especially when the signal is low.
    Yes Iam using LAN which wired. For my desktop PC I have connected it wired. As you can see in my signature. After 11 PM the went great again and I don't no what happened .

@ MonkeyClaw Is the new ISP cable, DSL or wireless based? The wireless router could be the culprit, but if you speed is still slow I would plug in direct and run a speedtest to see what it comes up with, that will tell you pretty quick whether it is the wireless or the service. I know with FiOS I am actually getting fast than my rated speed, I have a 50Mb down/25Mb Up and as you can see below my speeds are quite above that! I know if it is cable based it could be the node that you are on, which is shared by x amount of people in your area, so if someone is going download crazy it can affect your speed.
    Its wired and cable. So far the speed is good and I don't no happened thanks.

CPU: I7 3820-GPU: Asus Gtx 980 4GB-Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79-HDD: Seagate 2TB-CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X-TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000-PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD-PS3 Slim 750GB-PS VITA 32GB.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    It could be the stabilisation period, often the ISP will change speed on the line to see what it can handle the best and during this time the speed will increase and decrease.

Keep monitoring it doing speed tests from various sources. Try with different servers over the country to make sure its not a problem with that testing host.

There must be a minimium percentage that they have to provide if they say "up to" at least thats the case inthe UK now, for years ISPs got away with providing slow services even though they said "up to 60Mbit" and the customer got 16Mbit max.

Didn't the new company provide you with modem and router?
    They have provided me with the a wired modem and I have an old router D link WBW 1310 which I bought at the time when my PS3 came out. Now, the company D LINK doesn't support that wireless router and I have even went to thier website. The name of the router doesn't even exist at thier website lool.

@MjW 60Mbps is easily achievable on wifi. Though it wont be as stable as ethernet but pretty close (Depending on your hardware).

Usually internet providers say "up to 45Mbps". Which can vary depending on the network load and the provider's capabilities in the area.

If the speed continues being low contact the provider. There is a chance they can not provide more in your area and a downgrade might be a good idea to get exactly what you pay for.
    It might also be a temporary problem they are having, which in this case they will inform you. Long story short contact your internet provider if speed is consistently bad.

If your internet is disconnecting only when you use the router, reset the router by following the D-Link instructions. If the problem persists a router change might solve the problem. For some how now its all good lol.

Supreme Veteran
    Just upgrade my tinternet from 38/10 to 76/20

I did further diagnostics using BTs own speed checker and it says my profile is set to 60Mbit down and 20Mbit up so cannto go any faster than 60 I guess the copper line length (about 300-400M) is too long or its just not high enough quality to handle the full speed.

BT speed checker
    http://speedtest.btwholesale.com

P.S

Was a free upgrade.
    Last edited by keefy; 04-05-2013 at 13:21.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    AshSteHol
    Items User name style
    KING OF POP
    1958 - 2009

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    I'm at home atm..Internet is nothing special.

Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Items LBP ColeLBP SephirothLBP KratosLBP HelgastLBP EzioLBP Cloud

"When I was 12, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew. I flogged the one-eyed snake, I skinned my sausage. I made the bald man cry into the turtle stew, which I believe my sister ate. At least I hope she did."

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3101047050.png

Average speed in Romania and for only 18$

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style

Not bad for being out in the country, also I'm hosting websites which also affects the stats but still it's about the same as Keefy's otherwise.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Libra-75
    Well, seems to be quite correct, I have a 10/1 (cable) connection on paper. I really hope we get our fibre soon.

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    It's usually far better.

Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

Community and Technical Manager
    PSN ID
    Cand3Js
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    I wonder when a nuclear warhead goes off, does the frame rate of real life drop?

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Helm_of_Darkness
    Items User name style

You can probably guess what type of Internet I have.... lol
    It's the only provider we can find that serves our area.

Thread Information