Page 1 of 21 111 ... LastLast
    Elite Sage
    Items Metal Gear Solid

Xbox: Ask a question

If you answer questions frequently, please, PM me with the questions + answers and I will add them to the main page. I will rep you, and I would really appreciate it.

If you are experiencing any problems with your Xbox360, you may want to call Xbox Custumer Support

Assistance by phone:
    0800-587-1102
    or +44 20 7365 9792 from a mobile phone
    Hearing Impaired (TTY device):
    0800 587 1103
    Hours of operation:
    Monday-Friday: 09:00-22:00
    Saturday: 09:00-20:00
    Sunday: 09:00-17:00

Rules - Please follow them

--

Official FAQ
    Before you ask a question, please refer to this website. Xbox.com
    ---
    The Infamous Red Rings of Death - How to get rid of them, and what to do if you can't
    -
    Turn off the console for 10 seconds, then turn it back on
    -If this doesn't work, just call Xbox Customer Support 0800-587-1102

Last edited by Metal King Slime; 06-17-2012 at 19:42.
    You cannot mess with the greatness that is Lupe Fiasco
    PSN ID - WrathofAres
    Send me a friend request
    Now.

Elite Guru
    -If someone answered your question and helped you with problems concerning your PS3, give them a rep.
    You might want to fix this bit

Elite Sage
    Items Metal Gear Solid
    LOL! Thank you man. Rep+ for you
    PSN ID - WrathofAres
    Send me a friend request
    Now.

Elite Sage
    A could have used a thread like this yesterday
    But ya let me down blu-ray

Elite Sage
    Items Metal Gear Solid
    Sorry bra', If you are disappointed that I didn't add any FAQ questions to the page, I will do so now.
    PSN ID - WrathofAres
    Send me a friend request
    Now.

Elite Sage
    No i was just joking.
    The thread gets my stamp of approval

[CARSONAL APPROVES]

I'm a real boy!
    I'm being completely serious with this question.

Technically speaking why exactly does a 360 "RRoD"?

Apprentice
    Can i ask a non-technical question? I've started reading developer blogs which i enjoy from a geeky programmer perspective. I want to ask what are people's favorite xbox360 developer blogs?

(When i say developer blog, i mean a blog site written by a individual developer, like http://blog.deanoc.com/)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrien View Post

I doubt you'll ever find a definitive answer for that question, Microsoft is very tight lipped about the reasons. I do like one article that investigated the thermal design of the xbox360. I'm not saying it's the reason for the RRoD, just an interesting read.

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english...070801/137224/
    Double posting is against the rules. Use the edit button next time - Fedos

Elite Sage
    Items Metal Gear Solid

I think that it means that there is something wrong with the system, E.g, OVERHEATTING.
    PSN ID - WrathofAres
    Send me a friend request
    Now.

Superior Member

The general consensus is that the hardware overheats and the epoxy around the chips melts causing the system to freeze. MS has done 3 things to fix this and is trying to meet it on all fronts.

1. Add more epoxy. Basic physics, Q=mL. L being the latent heat of the epoxy m being the mass of the epoxy Q being the heat necessary to melt the epoxy. Basically the more the epoxy the more heat it can take before it melts.

2. Add another heat sink, raises costs yes but lowers the temperature. Cooling the whole thing down will help a lot.

3. 65nm chips, dubbed "falcon" consoles. 65nm chips as opposed to 90nm chips produce less heat and are cheaper to make. These consoles will arrive in fall 07.

Produce less heat, cool the heat that is more produce more effectively, protect the system from the heat.

Apprentice
    im thinking seriously of buying a 360. i already have a ps3 and a wii. so basicaly i'm wondering if it is worth my while. i really want to get gears of war, dead rising and bioshock. i also have an interest in 1 or 2 other games like condemned. but i'm worried about the malfunctions and dont like the idea of paying for xbox live and a wireless adapter. i have also decided against getting the hd dvd. so i have been looking around and the best deals i have found are: a premium consol with gears for 360 euro or a premium console with blue dragon for 360 euro. i have no interest in blue gragon so i want the one with gears. is it woth my while since i already own the other 2 consoles? plaese help i'm 100% serious about considering but im also sceptical about spending my money

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by monkey602 View Post
    im thinking seriously of buying a 360. i already have a ps3 and a wii. so basicaly i'm wondering if it is worth my while. i really want to get gears of war, dead rising and bioshock. i also have an interest in 1 or 2 other games like condemned. but i'm worried about the malfunctions and dont like the idea of paying for xbox live and a wireless adapter. i have also decided against getting the hd dvd. so i have been looking around and the best deals i have found are: a premium consol with gears for 360 euro or a premium console with blue dragon for 360 euro. i have no interest in blue gragon so i want the one with gears. is it woth my while since i already own the other 2 consoles? plaese help i'm 100% serious about considering but im also sceptical about spending my money
    First and foremost, your interest in the 360s current and future game library should be the most important thing.

In response to the malfunctioning, I'd refer you to the 2nd heatsinks being found in repaired and new consoles on the shelves now.
    The difference in the amount of heat that it produces is quite surprising.
    A 1 hour long endurance race on Forza 2 seems to be what overheated mine, but now with the extra heatsink installed, it only blows out warm air, instead of hot.
    A big difference.

Not only that, but you have a massive 3 year warranty that comes with the console for all Red ring failures.

Superior Member

If you're really worried about the hardware issues wait until the 65nm consoles make it onto shelves. I don't see many problems happening once those arrive. As far as paying for online, thats a choice only you can make. It is only 50 a year, but then again it is 50 a year. That could go towards a new game, or a night on the town.

As far as the wireless adapter goes, could you get a long ethernet cable to use with your router? When I has my PS2, I put the wire through the ventilation system and it works fine. But yea, an 80 adapter is quite steep. There are other options though, there are a few wireless adapters that just plug into the ethernet port and act just like any other cable, accept there is a wireless base receiving the signal.

It's a tough call man. There are definitely enough exclusives on the 360 to be interested and you might even find yourself buying the multiplat versions of some games on 360 for achievement points. Those things can get you hooked.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIntellect View Post
    If you're really worried about the hardware issues wait until the 65nm consoles make it onto shelves. I don't see many problems happening once those arrive. As far as paying for online, thats a choice only you can make. It is only 50 a year, but then again it is 50 a year. That could go towards a new game, or a night on the town.

As far as the wireless adapter goes, could you get a long ethernet cable to use with your router? When I has my PS2, I put the wire through the ventilation system and it works fine. But yea, an 80 adapter is quite steep. There are other options though, there are a few wireless adapters that just plug into the ethernet port and act just like any other cable, accept there is a wireless base receiving the signal.

It's a tough call man. There are definitely enough exclusives on the 360 to be interested and you might even find yourself buying the multiplat versions of some games on 360 for achievement points. Those things can get you hooked.
    Thanks for your reply man + rep... What I think I will do is wait until around christmas if the games out for my PS3 by then aren't enough I might pick up a 360 with some sort of deal for cheap enough. A friend of mine has a 360 with some of the games I'm really interested in so he's gonna let me try them, That will also help my decision. The best deal i have found so far is a premium 360 with gears for 350 euro so if I get that money together and have ntohing important come up i might use it. Until all of the above I'll just keep shopping around. OH and no i have no way to wire my systems to my router a wireless adapter is the only option.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Superior Member
    I have a Premium 360, but I want to trade it for an Elite, main reason being it's black and silver like all my Sony stuff and it will go better with my setup, secondary reason fixed RRoD issue (hopefully), and thirdly a larger HDD since 20GB just doesn't cut it.

Anyway onto my question:

Is there anyway of backing up my saved games/profile onto an external device without buying a memory unit? If not then that just plain blows.

I've plugged my external HDD but it doesn't show up under the memory section, only the main HDD does. It shows up in all the media sections mind you so the 360 definitely sees it.

Cheers in advance.

Apprentice
    when are the 360's with the heat sink things out? are they in the elite? and will one of those plug in fans do the job or will that void my warrantee ? it will be much appreciated if somebody could answer any of these simple questions
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Elite Sage
    when are the 360's with the heat sink things out? are they in the elite?
    They're out right now.
    I'm thinking the consoles manufactured from at least July or so should have it.
    The ones that didn't have it were subject to an off shelf recall to fix that problem I'm pretty sure, at least in the U.S.

and will one of those plug in fans do the job or will that void my warrantee ? it will be much appreciated if somebody could answer any of these simple questions
    The nyko intercooler wont void the warranty since its licenced by microsoft.
    But the console itself shouldnt need the intercooler anyway, especially not with the 2nd heatsink.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhindi_Bhajji View Post
    I have a Premium 360, but I want to trade it for an Elite, main reason being it's black and silver like all my Sony stuff and it will go better with my setup, secondary reason fixed RRoD issue (hopefully), and thirdly a larger HDD since 20GB just doesn't cut it.

Anyway onto my question:

Is there anyway of backing up my saved games/profile onto an external device without buying a memory unit? If not then that just plain blows.

I've plugged my external HDD but it doesn't show up under the memory section, only the main HDD does. It shows up in all the media sections mind you so the 360 definitely sees it.

Cheers in advance.
    There was a way to get FAT32 formatted hard drives to be recognized by the 360, but I recall reading that one of MS' more recent updates ruined this.
    Even if it worked, it would only be able to read the files (music etc.) and not actually transfer stuff downloaded from Xbox LIVE

Apprentice
    Thanks Carsonal i'll rep you for the help. Anyway i've been asking around about 360 and i keep being told about this falcon version thats suppose to be fixed up completely and from what i've heard the elite is just as bad if not worse than the original, so my question is when are the falcon models released in europe and is there a falcon version of the elite planned?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Elite Sage
    The falcons are expected to be appearing on shelves within the coming months no later than November.
    You'll hear about it on the forums and plastered all over gaming sites.

But the idea of the falcons isnt totally about reliability.
    Thats being done as Superior Intellect said several posts up by adding more epoxy to the chips + the heatsink etc.
    The falcons will have the 65nm chips because they will be cheaper to produce and will give MS more legroom for price adjustments in the future.

Thats not to say they wont be more reliable, I'm just noting that the current revised hdmi 360s are already a big improvement over the older ones.

Superior Member

Thanks Carsonal i'll rep you for the help. Anyway i've been asking around about 360 and i keep being told about this falcon version thats suppose to be fixed up completely and from what i've heard the elite is just as bad if not worse than the original, so my question is when are the falcon models released in europe and is there a falcon version of the elite planned?
    All versions will be "falcons". The falcon, is really just the 65nm chips used in the system. The extra heat sink and epoxy have already been added to consoles on store shelves. Actually the only difference between the Elite and the Premium/Core right now is the color and HDD (which doesn't really have anything to do with the over heating issue). Both have HDMI now so not a ton of difference.

Anyway, MS won't say when the falcons will hit shelves because that would bring sales to a halt. An article a while back states that they are already in production and are on ships coming from china. Now what that means, its a 6 week trip from China, they must all go through the warehouse, then to the retailers, then make it out of the backroom. Overall, that could easily take 2 months if not 3. I would expect falcons ready by November on store shelves. It'll be a shot in the dark in October, almost impossible in September.

Sorry, I can't give a date...but MS won't tell.

edit: Here's the article

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/200...html#more-4230

Apprentice
    thanks guys i'll rep you both as soon as i can i'm having trouble doing it at the moment. i think i'll just hold out till the falcon versions are released (i'm going to keep my hopes up for october) and at least then i can buy the games and wireless adapter etc.. all at once because up until now i was going to buy separately so i could get the machine sooner
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

heyy im thinking about buying a Xbox360 today.. but before i do i have 2 questions..

1. Do i have to pay a fee to go play games online?
    2. Are the xbox360's still having alota problems,bugs? and is this a good time
    to buy one or should i wait?

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tomatob0i View Post
    heyy im thinking about buying a Xbox360 today.. but before i do i have 2 questions..

1. Do i have to pay a fee to go play games online?
    Yes, to play multiplater online games costs $50 a year. You can download demos and movies etc from the store, have a gamercard, and chat/have a buddylist for free. But in order to play games online you must pay $50 a year.

2. Are the xbox360's still having alota problems,bugs? and is this a good time
    to buy one or should i wait?
    There are some still experiencing problems, but they are must less frequent with the new heatsink. If you want a very, very reliable system wait until November or so when the new 65nm "falcon" consoles come. They will run cooler than the ones now do. Honestly though, you shouldn't have much trouble if you buy a new one.

Good luck with your purchase.

Thanks .. also can i go online no matter which one I buy ? ( pro,core,elite..) or i can go online with anyone of them as long as i pay my 50$

Elite Sage
    You can go online with any of them so long as you have a storage device.
    Most people, including myself will say get the hard drive, but you technically only need a memory card for online play.

Thread Information