Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst ... 212 ... LastLast
    Elite Sage
    Items Metal Gear Solid
    I have some questions myself even though I am the OP.

1. Is overheating the "problem" with the Xbox360? Is that the reason it gets the RRoD? Would getting those cooling systems help?

2. How much do those "Cooling Systems" Cost? $$$
    You cannot mess with the greatness that is Lupe Fiasco
    PSN ID - WrathofAres
    Send me a friend request
    Now.

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blu-Ray View Post

1. Is overheating the "problem" with the Xbox360? Is that the reason it gets the RRoD? Would getting those cooling systems help?
    MS says that there is more than one general problem such as overheating, but it seems that the failures have slowed since the new hardware (heat sinks + epoxy). I think most people would agree that its a heating issue with the console.

Don't those things void your warranty? The wouldn't do a whole lot since they are added to the exterior of the console. The best way to cool it would be add more vents to the side, new heat sinks and 65nm chips. They may help a little pulling out air slightly better, but only enough to delay the RROD...if your console is going to RROD. Most of the newer ones aren't having this issue.

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802686

$30.

Elite Sage
    Items Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIntellect View Post
    MS says that there is more than one general problem such as overheating, but it seems that the failures have slowed since the new hardware (heat sinks + epoxy). I think most people would agree that its a heating issue with the console.

Don't those things void your warranty? The wouldn't do a whole lot since they are added to the exterior of the console. The best way to cool it would be add more vents to the side, new heat sinks and 65nm chips. They may help a little pulling out air slightly better, but only enough to delay the RROD...if your console is going to RROD. Most of the newer ones aren't having this issue.

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802686

$30.
    Alright, thanks man. That helped a lot. +rep.
    You cannot mess with the greatness that is Lupe Fiasco
    PSN ID - WrathofAres
    Send me a friend request
    Now.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blu-Ray View Post

I thought so but I came across a video on youtube on how to fix the RRoD and it say you have to totally rap the xbox 360 in towels while it is on, even the air wholes then leave it for 15mins then remove the towels and turn it off and let it cool for 15mins and it works fine, they said the point of rapping it in towels was for it to overheat

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyengo View Post
    I thought so but I came across a video on youtube on how to fix the RRoD and it say you have to totally rap the xbox 360 in towels while it is on, even the air wholes then leave it for 15mins then remove the towels and turn it off and let it cool for 15mins and it works fine, they said the point of rapping it in towels was for it to overheat
    Apparently it gets it so hot that it overheats and the chips reset.
    That doesnt mean its fixed for good though since most people who tried it and had it work will say theirs Ringed within a matter of days-hours.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carsonal View Post
    Apparently it gets it so hot that it overheats and the chips reset.
    That doesnt mean its fixed for good though since most people who tried it and had it work will say theirs Ringed within a matter of days-hours.

I never thought something overheating would be a good thing at anytime well atleast you would get a few more hours of gameplay out it

Elite Sage
    Yeah, its really just prolonging the inevitable - sending it in.

Apprentice
    Right guys so to be honest I'm hyped for Gears of War, Bioshock, Dead Rising and most of all Dead Rising. But I have been looking at videos of 360 games that have already been released and I dont see anything else that interests me so I am asking for some recommendations here. And for the love of God please nobody say Halo! Also I was interested in Lost Planet but once I saw it play I gave up on it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by monkey602 View Post
    Right guys so to be honest I'm hyped for Gears of War, Bioshock, Dead Rising and most of all Dead Rising. But I have been looking at videos of 360 games that have already been released and I dont see anything else that interests me so I am asking for some recommendations here. And for the love of God please nobody say Halo! Also I was interested in Lost Planet but once I saw it play I gave up on it.
    Forza 2 is a top quality game. Halo 3 also drops in about 3 weeks, Blue Dragon is good (if you like JRPGs). Crackdown has a ton of replay value, and is pretty fun.

Apprentice
    Forza 2 is a top quality game. Halo 3 also drops in about 3 weeks, Blue Dragon is good (if you like JRPGs). Crackdown has a ton of replay value, and is pretty fun.
    Thanks dude it's much appreciated. I'm not much of a racing fan and i tried + hated crackdown and blue dragon so they are disscounted. But for some strang reason I want to play Viva Pinata, Can anyone tell me if its anygood or is it genuinely for little kids?

Oh and I am still trying to rep you guys for your help but this wont let me! Because its the same guys helping me all the time and its them i'm rewarding it tells me I nedd to spread the rep around before giving it to you again. Sorry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Superior Member

Thanks dude it's much appreciated. I'm not much of a racing fan and i tried + hated crackdown and blue dragon so they are disscounted. But for some strang reason I want to play Viva Pinata, Can anyone tell me if its anygood or is it genuinely for little kids?

Oh and I am still trying to rep you guys for your help but this wont let me! Because its the same guys helping me all the time and its them i'm rewarding it tells me I nedd to spread the rep around before giving it to you again. Sorry
    Haha, yea its a forum rule to prevent spam repping. Its about helping fellow gamers though.

I've never tried Viva Pinata, but if you're into it you should try Guitar Hero II. GREAT GAME.

Call of Duty 2 is pretty good, better than 3.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    OnelShot

Yeah its intresting, you can dl the demo if you can. Definetly not for little kids since they would have no clue what to do with the more in depth stuff of the game.

Apprentice
    I have guitar Hero 2 on my PS2 and yeah it is awesome. And when 360 launched I wanted call of duty 2. I might rent out the Viva Pinata game I originaly thought it was childish but I always try to keep an open mind so it might be worth a shot
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Elite Sage
    Yeah, no way is viva pinata good for any one under ten.
    Its way more complex than the screen shots let on

Apprentice
    I just thought of something fairly important. when you buy a 360 here you get a free 3 month live subscription but because my room is so far away from my router I need a wireless adapter to play online, so because most of the games i am getting to start with are 1 player i wont be getting an adapter for a short time so i was wondering can i chose when to start the free 3 month trial or do i have no choice?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dedicated Member
    I just thought of something fairly important. when you buy a 360 here you get a free 3 month live subscription but because my room is so far away from my router I need a wireless adapter to play online, so because most of the games i am getting to start with are 1 player i wont be getting an adapter for a short time so i was wondering can i chose when to start the free 3 month trial or do i have no choice?
    Not certain how this works, but I THINK you'll get a special code in the box, and you'll be able to use that in your account at any time. They're called redeem codes, and in your account on Live you can add redeem codes at any time you like. Some games will you give them for 2 day trials and that. And you can use as many as you like.

I think that's how it works.
    CAN I HAZ SOME MOAR GRAVY PWEEZ
    xbl: excentric killa PLAY GAMES

Apprentice
    cool. thats good thanks for the help
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Apprentice
    hmm! I bought a 360 magazine hoping it would have some information about the console but it didnt so i'm gonna have to keep pestering you guys. I have a HD tv with a hdmi input, but I keep my PS3 plugged into it so is it worth my while getting a hdmi capable 360 because i wont be getting a HD DVD drive or do all 360's have hdmi as an option now? and say i have two 20gb hardrives for the xbox can i switch back and forth between them or will that wreck it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

BluBoi22
    Do the Elite 360s all have new heatsinks in them?

I'm thinking of getting a 360 but I'm still concerned about the reliability. I've read on this forum that you should be good if you've got the new heat sink, but I've heard that Elites haven't been much better than the old Premium models in terms of reliability.

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by BluBoi22 View Post
    Do the Elite 360s all have new heatsinks in them?

I'm thinking of getting a 360 but I'm still concerned about the reliability. I've read on this forum that you should be good if you've got the new heat sink, but I've heard that Elites haven't been much better than the old Premium models in terms of reliability.
    The original elites didn't, but now they do.
    Grab one off the shelf at a local department store and you're set.

Superior Member

hmm! I bought a 360 magazine hoping it would have some information about the console but it didnt so i'm gonna have to keep pestering you guys. I have a HD tv with a hdmi input, but I keep my PS3 plugged into it so is it worth my while getting a hdmi capable 360 because i wont be getting a HD DVD drive or do all 360's have hdmi as an option now? and say i have two 20gb hardrives for the xbox can i switch back and forth between them or will that wreck it?
    The premium and elite come with HDMI, unless you find a really really old premium. The old premiums don't have an HDMI but the new ones do, at the same price of the old ones.

You probably could switch between the two, but you would have to sign into Live every time you switch I think. I haven't really tried this, as I've had the same 20GB HDD for a while. An option would be buy a new 120GB HDD and trade the 2 old 20GB for cash. You could probably make out paying about 100 total for the 120GB HDD.

What do you have stored on the two HDD? If its music, you should consider streaming it from your computer. Then you won't have to switch.

Apprentice
    The premium and elite come with HDMI, unless you find a really really old premium. The old premiums don't have an HDMI but the new ones do, at the same price of the old ones.

You probably could switch between the two, but you would have to sign into Live every time you switch I think. I haven't really tried this, as I've had the same 20GB HDD for a while. An option would be buy a new 120GB HDD and trade the 2 old 20GB for cash. You could probably make out paying about 100 total for the 120GB HDD.

What do you have stored on the two HDD? If its music, you should consider streaming it from your computer. Then you won't have to switch.
    I dont have any. I'm only enquiring because I plan to buy a 360 and just want to know what suits me better to get. A 120 gb hard drive sounds good. I was told 20gb wouldn't get me far especially with online gaming, updates and downloads
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

BluBoi22
    Thanks for clearing that up! + rep

Quote Originally Posted by Carsonal View Post
    The original elites didn't, but now they do.
    Grab one off the shelf at a local department store and you're set.
    Do you know if the 65nm 360s are coming out this year? I would prefer to have the Falcon model just to be safe.

Elite Member
    I dont have any. I'm only enquiring because I plan to buy a 360 and just want to know what suits me better to get. A 120 gb hard drive sounds good. I was told 20gb wouldn't get me far especially with online gaming, updates and downloads

I don't know, it definitely doesn't feel like you have unlimited amounts of space with the 20gb...however if you don't mind deleting demo's you don't play then you will normally have plenty of space...also depends how much music etc. you want to store on the console as well.

However you can stream so much that it doesn't really affect me anyhow.

Superior Member

An extra 20Gb would cost another $100. You could just get an elite for that price. 20GB will not allow you keep many demos, songs, movies etc at once. You'll have to shuffle around but if you stream music and movies, while keeping your demos to a decent number you'll be fine.

Do you know if the 65nm 360s are coming out this year? I would prefer to have the Falcon model just to be safe.
    In short YES. 65nm are already in production and on boats coming from China. However, its a six week journey which started 2 weeks ago. Then they have to go through warehouses, then to retailers then make their way to the shelves. Getting one in October is possible but not probable. Getting one in mid to late November is probable. However, MS will not say which ones have the 65nm chips nor when they'll hit shelves. So really, you won't ever know if you have one unless you open it.

Thread Information