Elite Sage

Price cut in 2008

according to these 2 sources, there wont be a price cut untill Spring 2008.

http://news.filefront.com/no-playsta...-until-spring/
    http://techdigest.tv/2007/09/playstation_hom.html

"Hirai said no cut this year when asked the direct question
    There isn't going to be a price cut."

This may take away some soon to be consumers of the product (plus the fact that home is delayed untill 2008!)
    Im not sure if this is going to be 100% true, but it is sad.

Its not stopping me from getting my ps3 in 3 weeks time though! (hopefully)

gruddy gruddy gruddy gruddy

Forum Elder

Quote Originally Posted by gruddy View Post
    according to these 2 sources, there wont be a price cut untill Spring 2008.

http://news.filefront.com/no-playsta...-until-spring/
    http://techdigest.tv/2007/09/playstation_hom.html

Hirai said no cut this year when asked the direct question
    There isn't going to be a price cut.

This may take away some soon to be consumers of the product (plus the fact that home is delayed untill 2008!)
    Im not sure if this is going to be 100% true, but it is sad.

Its not stopping me from getting my ps3 in 3 weeks time though! (hopefully)
    Nah.. he said no price cut..

this doesn't mean that there wont be a new model..

and if the 60 gb faces out and there is only 600 dollar 80 gb.. WE KNOW THAT we are getting ripped off.

So they will have to drop the price of the 80 gb to 500 (which really isn't a price drop since we had a 499 PS3 before)..

And a new model at 399 is more then possible. I think they mean any more price cuts after that it wont be happening until spring 08.

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by PS3fan15 View Post
    Nah.. he said no price cut..

this doesn't mean that there wont be a new model..

and if the 60 gb faces out and there is only 600 dollar 80 gb.. WE KNOW THAT we are getting ripped off.

So they will have to drop the price of the 80 gb to 500 (which really isn't a price drop since we had a 499 PS3 before)..

And a new model at 399 is more then possible. I think they mean any more price cuts after that it wont be happening until spring 08.
    thats ture, but i meant a price cut to the 60GB model and/or 800GB. Not the 60GB being sold out (maybe next year?).D

Apprentice
    man i was hoping to get the price cut model but now ill probably have to wait until the next cut very disappointed

Dont Believe Sony Regarding Planned Price Cuts

Sony isn't gonna announce a new price cut until days before it takes effect. We'll probably know a month or two in advance about a new SKU is released, but since we heard nothing about-it at TGS and it's almost October I don't think we'll get the rumored cheaper SKU until the Spring.
    All we can do is wait and see.

BIG DADDY
    Like I've said before, this is a smokescreen. They won't announce the price cut till right when they do it. If they announce it ahead of time, almost noone will buy the product until said price cut. They are most likely going to slap it on us close to x-mas, prolly with the 40gb sku; here in the states it'll prolly happen right at Thanksgiving. That's my guess.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks to SteelSamurai for the sig & avatar!
    320 GB PS3, Wii, 360 Elite & Mistsubishi 65" DLP 1080P
    "I never eat before a mission. Slows you down. I gotta be light on my feet like a dancer. Like a f-ing ninja!"

I Agree

I think the counter to halo 3 will be the PS3 44. special.
    Thats the 40 gig at $400 dollars. Now , if it comes with a bundle, that will be sweet!
    Lets hope Sony can make this happen. One thing Sony should not want is Halo to sweep Christmas this year.

Elite Sage
    well since ill be getting mine october, i hope there isnt a price cut untill christmas (earliest). since itll probably sell out and then ill have my own!
    if theres a price cut 1-2 weeks after, ill be sad

I'll buy a second one when the PS3 drops to $400

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    sony is really hurting them selfs.. if they dont come out with a 400 dollar PS3 console.
    they can kiss this hoilday goodbye...
    they need a price drop before this hoilday.. little timmy wont get a 600 dollar PS3 thats for sure

The One!
    There shouldnt even be a price cut, TBH who needs it. I know it will increase sales and stuff! but seriously idont understand why it is needed, and why is it that ALOT of PS2 Gamers are making their way to 360.

Quote Originally Posted by The One! View Post
    There shouldnt even be a price cut, TBH who needs it. I know it will increase sales and stuff! but seriously idont understand why it is needed, and why is it that ALOT of PS2 Gamers are making their way to 360.

So true. The 360 Elite is what, $40 cheaper and A LOT crappier than the PS3. Especially when we're going to be getting so many sweet games in the coming months.
    The thing with the 360 is that people can burn games for free, and I think that is probably a big driving force to converting PS2 owners. I'm still shocked so many people defend the CrapBox after so many problems, and when there is clearly a better system on the market today in the PS3.

Superior Member
    It will end up being a 400$ 40Gb PS3. Plain and simple, that is sonys holiday secret weapon.
    Wish List: NBA 2k9, Resistance 2 & a headset.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    sony is really hurting them selfs.. if they dont come out with a 400 dollar PS3 console.
    they need a price drop before this hoilday.. little timmy wont get a 600 dollar PS3 thats for sure
    Right you are, but they are not stupid. The game releases this period until the beginning of december will be the deciding period if the price cut will have to come sooner. Because if they do it now thye will have nothing for us next year. So a two step reduction is not a bad plan.

So were do you American's come up with little timmy...is it from a movie or cartoon. It's sounds sad

"Marvel Universe" in 2012 after The FirstAvenger Movie
    (THQ)!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    Right you are, but they are not stupid. The game releases this period until the beginning of december will be the deciding period if the price cut will have to come sooner. Because if they do it now thye will have nothing for us next year. So a two step reduction is not a bad plan.

So were do you American's come up with little timmy...is it from a movie or cartoon. It sounds sad

(THQ)!

Veteran
    oops double posted by accident......a glitch in the Inet connection I guess

(THQ)!

Price VS Quality

I agree with most people who own a PS3 on the Quality of the system, Its a very well made machine with a great interface. Xbox has some issues with hardware, but most non gamers do not really understand the diffrence. It would be in sonys best interest just to offer a Christmas Price cut for Mom or Dad out there to help ease the pressure of little Timmys present for holiday.

Not knowing which system is better, I think second choice is Price, for parents. Yes the system is worth the $600 dollar, but to the comsumer, I dont think they really see the value in the machine, due to poor advertising for the PS3.

Now which is cost sony less money and help push the PS3 longevity ?
    The advertising or the price cut ?

Tough call!

Master Guru
    Well that really sucks. I don't see myself dropping $630 (CDN with taxes included) on a video game console. It's way to high.
    Mac Mini 2.3GHz i5, 500GB HD, 8GB Ram; 16GB iPhone 5; 16GB iPad mini

Super Elite
    Actually the winner this christmas will not be 360 or the PS3 but the Wii. Yes I said it. The price point is low enough, games are kid friendly enough and with Mario, Super Smash Bros, and some other HIGHLY market friendly faces, it will win the christmas season. Even with a 400 dollar PS3, parents will still not cough over that money because most games are violent and rated T and above. Most of the people who will buy it are people with jobs or parents who dont care what their kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by the_End View Post
    Well that really sucks. I don't see myself dropping $630 (CDN with taxes included) on a video game console. It's way to high.
    At least you are not an early adopter. I have a 20 GB PS3 that I got for 549 when it first came out, I dont feel so good about that now but hey so far the 20 GB has been holding fine.
    There is nothing sweeter than the embrace of death

ish718
    Yea Sony needs that 400$ Sku by holidays if they don't then they will only hurt their sales, and 360 is already kicking ps3 azz

especially with this crazy halo crap

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    DynamicSun
    Well I'm getting mine 2008,so I think that's a good thing for me,and the other people,that will get a Playstation 3 in 2008,so it's still good in a way I think

Superior Member
    Well there gonna need a price cut soon!!

Zetsumei
    What if the price of the 40GB was $349.99 it would sell like hotcakes!

The One!
    Price Cut, not needed. 5million people have the console now right, but we need 6million, and i think AAA titles will give us the 11mil we need not a price cut.

ish718
    There won't be a price cut until 08 for the BUT they will release a 400$ 40gb sku right around the holidays
    Perfect timing

I guess the 40gb sku won't have wireless wifi

Thread Information