Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jakibikajasy View Post
    Indeed. I believe Uncharted has just turned into a "buy or die" game.
    Good way of putting it.

---

After seeing the jet ski scans that Kaako PM'd me, this game is definitely a must buy. Not a maybe, not a sometime in the future kind of thing.. but a definite. Plus, with the information that Loudninja posted in the first post... it's just quite obvious that this game is a must have.

Dedicated Member
    now that is great news. really nice to see Naughty Dog putting in so much effort for the game. Def gettin dis game

tamud
    This is a sample of a dev who listen to their fans and critic, and not hard headed and shows to much pride.

REFLEX
    Very excellent for them to do this. At least they made it go 720p default for the majority of TV users including 1080p users. Not a total disaster like R6: Vegas was..... having to go into the display settings and change it to 720p max every time I want to play is terrible. At least they did it proper.

Only we are gonna get a whole bunch of people asking "how do I make it go to 1080p resolution? 1080p is better right?" hehehe... oh well.

But yeah, very good.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by REFLEX View Post
    Very excellent for them to do this. At least they made it go 720p default for the majority of TV users including 1080p users. Not a total disaster like R6: Vegas was..... having to go into the display settings and change it to 720p max every time I want to play is terrible. At least they did it proper.

Only we are gonna get a whole bunch of people asking "how do I make it go to 1080p resolution? 1080p is better right?" hehehe... oh well.

But yeah, very good.
    Warhawk also does it this way, and I believe HS as well.

1st parties are honest aren't they

REFLEX
    Quote Originally Posted by kuku View Post
    Warhawk also does it this way, and I believe HS as well.

1st parties are honest aren't they
    Yeah, its a good thing - but its funny because then you have people asking about how they can go about forcing the game to run in 1080 because they think its going to actually give them more resolution or something, then we must have about 10 topics telling the difference between native resolution and upscaling. Yadda yadda yadda.

I'm not truly complaining, just remarking and the amount of people who have no clue about this stuff. I'm glad they give it support for those of you out there who might not have 720p support on older models of HDTVs.

Superior Member

Two observations, one it's kinda funny that devs aren't really aware of what the current industry/platform issues are. It's a reminder that these guys almost literally bunker themselves in when they're making a game, that's why it's important for them to get input from the gaming community with places such as forums but it's also important for the community to be concise and unemotional in their requests. Remember, rage = noise and will eventually be tuned out by even the most receptive listener. Also, this is a perfect example of what being concise will get you. If all the community was doing was screaming "We want 1080i!!" the dev, knowing the game is 720p native and wasn't going to change, would've quickly tuned that out, but when someone took the time explain concisely what the issue was followup was done and a resolution was achieved.

The second observation is that adding in support for the old 720P-less HDTV's appears to be a simple process. I am guessing that Sony has tools in the sdk to add this feature but it appearently needs to be done within the program so making sure the devs are aware of this issue beforehand is important.

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by REFLEX View Post
    Yeah, its a good thing - but its funny because then you have people asking about how they can go about forcing the game to run in 1080 because they think its going to actually give them more resolution or something, then we must have about 10 topics telling the difference between native resolution and upscaling. Yadda yadda yadda.

I'm not truly complaining, just remarking and the amount of people who have no clue about this stuff. I'm glad they give it support for those of you out there who might not have 720p support on older models of HDTVs.

Everyone needs a reminder from time to time that there are costs associated with touching the video stream, whether it's scaling, compression, digital>analog>digital conversion(component connection), HDCP encoding/decoding, or a combination of these there is a cumulative degradation of the stream in the process.

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    Great stuff.
    Thanks Ninja.
    Your skills never cease to amaze me.
    Thanks man, always glad to help
    Sig by Phaded
    _______
    NINJA HAWKS

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    HitMan00
    what's that i smell, game of the year.

Master Sage
    This game has much more to do than some other games, so I think ti will be long enough
    Sig by Phaded
    _______
    NINJA HAWKS

Elite Member
    glad to see they added some replay value to it.
    Sig by The House
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by kuku View Post
    The buffer and the output are two different things. You can't have an interlaced buffer.

All the output does is interlace it(which is pretty much free) (The source is still progressive)

This is a technical thing, so don't talk like it's a settings thing.

Same with PS2. All PS2 games are actually 480p. Whether you can access it is another issue.
    Ah........ well... I may have misunderstood things, but... There's a half-height buffer trick. From my understanding, it's not ... precisely ... always 480p on the PS2. Similarly, it's possible to do a render to a "1080i" target buffer on the PS3 which can be upscaled to 1080p.

Point being, I think the questions of quality are valid.

Watch out! I edit my posts too much!

* Card carrying Apple geek. Here, try my Kool-aid. *

Apprentice
    My thanks go out to the developers who include 1080i support for some of us older HD owners. I'm glad I can go get this game on the day it releases instead of wating around to see if it supports 1080i or not.

Now I've got this game and Ratchet and Clank to look forward to!
    1080i issue solved! Disclaimer: Purchase of Pioneer PDP-5080HD required. Some restrictions apply.

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Uncharted is going to be awesome. iam really hyped for this game.
    the story the game play and the gfx are all great.
    it will be a must own game for any ps3 owner

Forum Sage
    I just simply cant wait for this game!!!!!!!
    WII FRIEND CODE = 5509 0447 7406 7959

Master Poster
    I'm glad it has replay value. I was dreading that it was going to be really short.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowstar View Post
    Ah........ well... I may have misunderstood things, but... There's a half-height buffer trick. From my understanding, it's not ... precisely ... always 480p on the PS2. Similarly, it's possible to do a render to a "1080i" target buffer on the PS3 which can be upscaled to 1080p.

Point being, I think the questions of quality are valid.
    You can do a different resolution, and then stretch it or whatever, but interlacing is a whole other issue.

I can think of no feasible way or reason to interlace a game. Maybe if you have 2 frame buffers alternating. Nothing is impossible, but it's just not feasible.

The shear concept of interlacing doesn't work that way. It's just better to take a progressive image and interlace it after render.

In the PS3's case, this is well documented. You render a 920x1080 then you use a hoz scaler the 920 to 1920. Then you take that progressive image and let the system interlace it.

The reason you shouldn't use it, is because their is a 20%~ish hit, so it's probably slightly lower framerate+ the scaling can make some artifacts. Besides which it won't look much different.

In the end any PS3 game that says 1080i can do 1080p, but if it's ,meant to be 720p, be honest about it, which is what ND, etc did.

There are cheaters in the world, but then that's why we have wars.

Ishimaru Kaito
    1080 means not a very good, i must heed its warning

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tamud View Post
    Okay but 1080p feature can be use?
    It would be pointless. They implemented 1080i support so that people with 480/1080i only TVs could play in 1080i. If a game is designed strictly for 480i/p and 720p, then it PS3 will downscale it to 480i/p on those 480/720p TVs.

Uncharted runs natively in 720p, but supports 480i/p and 1080i. Meaning that the game was designed to run in 720p, but if played on an SDTV, it is downscaled to 480i. And if it's played on a 480p/1080i set, then the PS3 will upscale the game to 1080i, because of the two available resolutions on the TV, 1080i is superior.

However, you have to realize that the 1080i image is in essence a 720p image UPSCALED to 1080i, instead of having it DOWNSCALE to 480p. The 1080i support in the game is purely a workaround for those TVs that support 1080i, but not 720p.

Rainbow Six: Vegas is reported to look a little worse than 720p, which is why they recommend playing it in 720p unless your TV doesn't support 720p (in which case, 1080i support is there as a "backup plan").

I'm trying to help in clarifying the issue here, along with the other guys. The game does not run 1080p natively. It runs 720p natively, and scales according to your TV. I hope that makes a little sense, at least.
    "Very nice, how much?" - Borat Sagdiyev
    Member of the PS3forums.com Folding@home team

Elite Guru
    what i hope they do is.
    keep it 720p but add what ever they can add to it and make the game better.

Consoles i own : ps2 xbox360 Ps3 Wii psp
    Wanna see what i look like www.facebook.com/laoman

tamud
    At least it can be at 1080p and I'm happy now

The King Of Kings
    I don't really care about it, the visuals for the game already look amazing. I want them to concentrate on getting gameplay on point.

IRONMAIDEN

yeah

this looks like a great action game. its got some Killswitch mixed with some prince of persia. it cant fail!

REFLEX
    Quote Originally Posted by tamud View Post
    At least it can be at 1080p and I'm happy now

It is only 720p....... it can be only 720p with 1080i signals and the like.... nothing more, still only ever 720p.

Thread Information