Forum Guru

40GB PS3 is still compatible with PSone games

It seems the new 40GB sku will still be able to play PSone games, just not ps2 games. I suppose this is good news, although I don't play much old school stuff anymore.

http://ps3.qj.net/Sony-40-GB-PlaySta.../49/aid/104276

Forum Elder
    Yeah this was known already. But i don't think anyone plays psone games anymore. But it is still good to have the Backwards compatibility thou.

30.82Mbps<--Download----Upload-->22.80Mbps

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by sorrow880 View Post
    It seems the new 40GB sku will still be able to play PSone games, just not ps2 games. I suppose this is good news, although I don't play much old school stuff anymore.

Hi, Don't you guys think this is kind of stupid for SONY to forego backwards compatibility, why the hell don't they use the software emulator???? and if they were to skip BC with anything it should be the PS1 at this point, NOT the PS2! there are so many titles out there. I'm just glad I got an early version with the chip in it still. I just hope they never patch something so it doesn't work right! I will be PO'D. Or at least they should make it so that you could download the PS2 compatibility software from PSN or something if you wanted it. PS2 game are cheap and easy to come by nowadays.

Elite Guru
    The 40gb just gets more and more retarded. Wow. The one set of games it SHOULD be able to play, it can't.

SnowHawk
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha2 View Post
    The 40gb just gets more and more retarded. Wow. The one set of games it SHOULD be able to play, it can't.
    WHAT!!! the 40gb PS3 can't play PS3 games. well that sucks. /sarcasm

seriously, are you putting BC over ps3 games

Ancient
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by TOM2x View Post
    Hi, Don't you guys think this is kind of stupid for SONY to forego backwards compatibility, why the hell don't they use the software emulator???? and if they were to skip BC with anything it should be the PS1 at this point, NOT the PS2! there are so many titles out there. I'm just glad I got an early version with the chip in it still. I just hope they never patch something so it doesn't work right! I will be PO'D. Or at least they should make it so that you could download the PS2 compatibility software from PSN or something if you wanted it. PS2 game are cheap and easy to come by nowadays.
    The PS1 B/C is firmware driven, so it would be stupid to remove it
    however, if anybody recalls PS2 games were suppose to be downloadable as well as PS1 games
    give them time & we may see firmware driven PS2 B/C in the future, if they still have that plan

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowhawk View Post

exactly and who doesn't have a ps2?
    sony can still sell ps2s by not supporting ps2 games on the ps3

Console Gamers of the World Unite and Take Over!
    Add me: http://www.playfire.com/godlovesugly05

Quote Originally Posted by sorrow880 View Post

Street Fighter Alpha 3 ftw!
    Best.Fighting.Game.Ever

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by snowhawk View Post

No you Dunce I'm saying that the one set of games that makes BC worth having at all is the PS2 games not the PS1 games. Sure keep making PS2 games but Play them on PS3, THAT should have been the message Sony put out. You want there to be a reason TO buy the 40gb not another reason NOT to. Why ask people to buy the PS2 AND a PS3?? That's just MORE money people arn't willing to shell out and it adds to the clutter of multiple systems, which no on in their right mind wants. That's like Sega putting out the 32X and then the saturn afterwards and expecting people to buy both!

Super Elite
    OR... people can spend the extra cash and get a 60GB starter pack. That's all there is to it. Do I think they're working on a software solution to the PS2 emulation? Yep. Will it be ready at launch? Nope.

Elite Guru
    There is a software solution, it's called the 80gb They seem to be phasing out the 60gb in favor of it. The 40gb removes the last actually hardware bits that the emulation software uses to output PS2 game visuals according the the press release. so the 40gb will conceivably never play PS2 games if that's the case.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by godlovesugly05 View Post
    exactly and who doesn't have a ps2?
    sony can still sell ps2s by not supporting ps2 games on the ps3
    One of the reasons Nintendo has been successful this generation is because it appeals to people outside their normal base.

Removing BC removes a good reason for those people who've never had a playstation 2. This isn't just converts, etc...but new gamers just coming of age or growing out of nintendo systems. Think of all the ps2 games you've experienced...these new gamers are going to be missing out on that because do you think a new gamer is going to spend additional money to get a last-gen system after putting down a ton for a ps3? I dunno, but I wouldnt chance it.

Aerial Life
    Man, everyone is making such a big deal about this loss of BC, I have a PS3 *Got it at launch* and I also got 2 more PS2's, seriously, who DOESNT have a PS2 already? However, with that being said, who here has a PSOne? God as my witness there is nothing more that I would like to play than Xenogears and FF7 for the PSOne

babyface
    Wow! It's still compatible with the 20-or-so PSone games available in the PSN store? Amazing...

Really, the PSone compatibility is kind of ridiculous. There are hardly any really interesting games available until now (Castlevania being one of the few exceptions). Where are the big names? MGS? The Resi series? All good 2D games in general (such as "Metal Slug X", the first "Rayman", or "King of Fighter" etc.)?

With those very few games available today, PSone backwards compatibility is hardly a strong selling point for the PS3...

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nstriker20 View Post
    Yeah this was known already. But i don't think anyone plays psone games anymore. But it is still good to have the Backwards compatibility thou.
    You can buy them off the PSN. Whether or not you still own PSX disc's SONY has you covered.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Thread Information