Latest PSU headlines:

Master Sage

Killzone 2 interview with gamepro

GamePro's Sid Shuman grills Killzone 2 producer Steven Ter Heide about the lethal planet of Helghan and Killzone 2's new gameplay...including jumping!

What environmental hazards will players find on the Helghast's home planet? How will these hazards affect the player?

The Helghast homeworld is called Helghan, and it is a very hostile place. The Helghast have adapted to the living conditions by using special goggles and breathing equipment. They have also learned to harness the power the planet offers and have turned them into weapons. For example, the ARC weapon you can see in the demo is powered by lightning. The player will encounter more environmental hazards, but we'll save details on those for later.

In the first game, players could choose to play as several characters, each with their own weapon of choice. What kinds of characters will the player be able to control? Is there any chance the player will get to play as any non-human characters?

In Killzone 2 we are introducing a new player character named Sev. Sev is part of a special forces squad called the Legion. You will see some familiar faces: Rico for instance is the squad's commanding officer. In Killzone 2, however, players will follow Sev's journey through the Helghast invasion. Other characters are not playable but will appear as buddies with different abilities. The player can wield a variety of different weapons, and carry up to two with him at any time. This way he can select those weapons suited to his playing style.

Park Terminal and Beach Head were favorite multiplayer maps from the first game. Will any of them return in Killzone 2?

We are not talking about the details of our multiplayer campaign just yet. It will however be an extensive component of Killzone 2, linking to Killzone.com as well as into Home.

Killzone: Liberation introduced Helghast dogs and tanks that the player could control. Will the player be able to operate other vehicles in Killzone 2? What about those hovering platforms from the trailer?

We are of course building on our strengths from previous titles, and working hard to improve on their shortcomings. Liberation certainly offered some new things like bossfights, and the ability to heal your buddies. These gameplay elements offered additional variety and we are working hard to include them in Killzone 2 also. Of course Killzone 2 plays on a different world than the previous games. This gives us a lot of freedom and will introduce some new unique enemies and situations. As for vehicles, it is still a bit early to confirm any details.

The first Killzone didn't allow you to jump. Will Killzone 2 add this feature? Why is this feature important, or not important?

We felt that navigating small obstacles was annoying in Killzone, but we also wanted to keep everything grounded in reality. In Killzone 2 you can jump, but you will not be able to fire at the same time. The player will also be able to perform lots of context-based actions that will be all in first-person (such as lean and peek). The feeling of immersion is very important to us.

Brian Cox was the voice of the Helghast dictator. Will that character return, and will Cox return as the voice actor? What about any other returning voice actors?

We can't say too much about the voice actors just yet. However, we will say that working with these kind of talented people really adds something to the game, especially when combined with our facial capture animation.

Squad artificial intelligence was a sticking point in the first game. What will Killzone 2 do to improve its A.I. of enemies and squad members?

With Killzone Liberation we already saw improvements in AI behavior. They were able to target destructable or explosive objects, flank you, and work together. For Killzone 2 we have improved on that even further. The world is more complex with lots of physics objects and destructible environments, which means the AI has to navigate and be aware of all of that. They also have to be more aware of each other and their enemies, as we will see many more characters on screen at the same time. We are making sure that the AI is ultra challenging, and each character has unique and recognizable behaviors, allowing the player to judge the situation and decide how to deal with them.

It's pretty obvious (at least to us) that Killzone 2 has some of the best graphics ever seen. What is it about the PS3 that allows you to pull off this kind of detail? And would you say it's accurate that the in-game E3 footage surpassed the E3 2005 CG cinema?

The E3 2005 trailer was all about setting our ambition and goals for the game. We wouldn't have created that movie if we did not think we could deliver that [level of detail]. There is of course a difference between a movie and a game. Allowing more freedom for the player and not have it as scripted meant we had to create technology and a number of systems to help achieve that level of intensity while playing. We've created our own proprietary technology to drive the game, and this is using many of PS3's specific strengths.Large quantities of data can be streamed because we have a great deal of storage capacity. This allows for the level of detail you can see in the game.

It is not a luxury to have Blu-ray, but rather a necessity, as compression only gets you so far. I mean, the level that we showed at E3 and Leipzig topped out around 2GB! Also having the CELL and SPUs means we can offload all of our physics processing to an SPU, or process AI using the SPU's. All this processing power just means we can add more detail and create that Hollywood-type realism we're after.
    http://www.gamepro.com/sony/ps3/game...s/140768.shtml

I wish they cough up more details
    Sig by Phaded
    _______
    NINJA HAWKS

buddielevi
    very interesting read. " It is not a luxury to have Blu-ray, but rather a necessity, as compression only gets you so far." boo yaa!! take that DVD9

Superior Member
    so basically they didnt tell anything new.......AWESOME INTERVIEW

Apprentice
    i think that the developers know that every is just focused on the stunning graphics, and it nice to get some info about the inner workings the game itself. i hope we hear more about the features of the game and the game play, and specifically the story, cause at the end that is the heart of a game.

Apprentice
    At least we know the AI will be more smarter than KZ1.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

This game is gonna be big. I loved the first Killzone and I know based on what I've seen and heard this probably be a crazy competitor for Halo.

Anbu_Evolution
    nice find ninja.

well, i found out some new information about the game that i didn't knew before. for example, the no shooting while jumping part, and the 2 weapons at a time part.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by buddielevi View Post
    very interesting read. " It is not a luxury to have Blu-ray, but rather a necessity, as compression only gets you so far." boo yaa!! take that DVD9
    sounds like a shot fired...

someone should tell him that graphics arent everything..just make sure the game is great...I would take a game with probably great gameplay but less graphics over a game with amazing graphics and shotty gameplay...

Superior Member

Well at least this has some slightly new stuff in it. I thought they were going to do a whole media blackout with this game and wait until early next year to release even slightly new stuff. They are being secretive about the multiplayer, I wonder how that will be. I hope it's rather good.

Yay for being able to jump!

Forum Guru
    Killzone 2 just makes me more and more excited! Just release a demo god **** it!
    PSN and XBL ID: EspadaKiller

Steam ID: god_of_shawn

My blog: www.espadakiller.wordpress.com Follow me @twitter as well!

Apprentice
    Brian Cox was the voice of the Helghast dictator. Will that character return, and will Cox return as the voice actor? What about any other returning voice actors?

We can't say too much about the voice actors just yet. However, we will say that working with these kind of talented people really adds something to the game, especially when combined with our facial capture animation.
    OPM (UK) claimed that Brian Cox was returning.

Not really any new details here - I hope we see a new level soon

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    jvdarula
    that was a great read it is about time we got something else on this great game(HOPEFULLY).

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by mberg42 View Post

someone should tell him that graphics arent everything..just make sure the game is great...I would take a game with probably great gameplay but less graphics over a game with amazing graphics and shotty gameplay...
    At the same time, I would take a game with amazing graphcs and great gameplay over anything else. D
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

IRONMAIDEN

i like it

i found it nice to hear from a smart developer that is smart enough to use the ps3's hardware. it just makes the ones that have a hard time, and therefore give us crap (ea) look rediculous.

buddielevi
    Quote Originally Posted by mberg42 View Post

true, graphics arnt everything. but graphics make up half of the game and the game play make up the other half.

its like saying you want GTA4 to have the same graphics as all the other version of GTA on the PS2 but better game play. sorry but if the GTA4 graphics are not improved....i dont care how much content it has, its not Next-Gen gaming.

Apprentice

Does anyone know if there are any sony/ game events going on before christmas as I really want some new info on this game, a screenshot of a new environment, a video even another dammn interview but with some new info at least. Although through personal experiance games can get hyped way too much and then not live up to their hype, so its a fine balance.

It also go's to show that if you up the time and effort into developing for ps3 you can get some amazing results, not like these companies who keep saying the ps3 is too hard to get good results from, screw you

Forum Elder
    I'm sure I've seen all of those questions and answers before. Nice find on your part, bad interview on Gamepro's part.
    "My strategy has to be tragedy, catastrophe, and after this you'll call me your majesty..."

Booneabal
    I really don't want to hear any more from these clowns until they have a demo out and the release date announced.
    Right now it is all hype and hot air. The video didn't look THAT good and I am sure that with some good traditional techniques similar or better results could be achieved. Heck, COD4 is about to prove that.
    I like KZ because of the immersive sound, the weigh of the weapons and the evilousness of them Helghast - deliver or perish Guerilla!

arthur56k
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudninja View Post
    for the better part, the interview seems informative, but being a first party developer really shows in some places, Sony ****kissing, and all, best of both worlds i guess

Atahualpa
    I wonder if it's going to be long or short.........................

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    joeold
    very nice read. i really can't wait for this game to come out so we can all have eyegasms.

Antec 300 case, Antec 650W PSU, Intel Core i7 2600K, Plextor 128GB SSD, 2TB storage, MSI HD6850, 16GB DDR3 1600, Windows 7 64bit, Wacom Graphire 4, 22" LG W2252TQTF
    Wife's Art
    Personal site

Thread Information