According to data cobbled together by the NPD Group (as published by CNBC), music simulation romp Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock ranks as the highest grossing videogame of all time in North America.
Released in 2007, the Activision juggernaut has grossed a whopping $830.9 million, topping military shooter Call of Duty: Black Ops, which sits at $787.4 million.
Activision has every reason to be chuffed however, with five of its titles making the Top Ten compared to four Nintendo games and one entry from MTV Games. Interestingly, six of the titles in the list were shipped with or utilize a peripheral.
Check out the list below.
1. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock $830.9 million
2. Call of Duty: Black Ops $787.4 million
3. Wii Fit (inc: Balance Board) $736.6 million
4. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 $713.6 million
5. Rock Band $670.7 million
6. Wii Play (inc: Wii Remote)
7. Guitar Hero World Tour
8. Wii Fit Plus
9. Mario Kart Wii (inc: Wii Wheel)
10. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare