Back in May CCP released the launch build of its hardcore space shooter DUST 514. Titled 'Uprising,' it promised a whole slew of major updates from the previous Chromosome build including some new weapons, vehicles, balancing, maps, game modes and a major graphical update amongst much more.
The update wasn't received that well in the community due to major problems with aiming, nerfs, bugs and new balance issues. After the negative feedback from gamers and press, CCP pretty much rewrote the roadmap it had laid forth at EVE Fanfest, its yearly player gathering event in Iceland. It was clear that something had to change.
Ditching the planned 3-4 updates per year approach that was then on the table, CCP decided it would work on rapid-fire updates that would hit on a monthly basis. The first of these patches, Uprising 1.2 and 1.3 accomplished a lot and put the game back on course to being a solid shooter once again and the community's response was very positive. Uprising 1.4 is the first upgrade released within the newly restructured development system at CCP and has so far received a positive response from the community.
Some of the new additions coming in 1.4 include a totally revamped match making system, retuned aim assist mechanics, new maps, corporation tax as well as balancing and more.
Corp tax will deduct a selected percentage from the winnings of all members, which then goes into the corporation wallet. You can learn more about it in this recent devblog.
Creative Director CCP Praetorian also had some words on Uprising 1.4 and beyond in his latest devblog which you can read here. He outlines some of the bigger new features coming next month and touches on what's coming in 1.5.
And with that, here are the patch notes for 1.4, due out early September.
* We have introduced a new “Recent Updates” screen. This screen will be shown the first time a player logs in each day (with the day rolling over during downtime). It contains: mail notifications, SP progression, augmentation countdown and a main panel that switches between market, event news and daily bonus
* Added timestamps in chat
* Polished pop-up windows, tuned background and blur effects
* Hooked up the end of match summary screen for the previous battle to the Neocom. Players can now access the last match's stats and player list
* Mouse rotation speed caps have been removed
* Mouse sensitivity settings have been updated
* Replaced old mouse smoothing with a new system
* Tuned radial menus for mouse settings (weapon/equipment select) to make them easier to use
* Overhauled, retuned and reactivated aim assists for the control pad
* Fixed a bug that was making dropsuit strafe speeds too fast
* Increased the strafe speeds for all dropsuits from their values in Uprising 1.1 (net result is slower speeds than Uprising 1.3)
* Removed rotation modifier on heavy frames - all frames can now rotate at the same speed
* Added squad leader icon for player tags
* Added RDV drop off location icon for HUD
* Shared passive scanner vision for squads disabled (results of active scanners are still shared with squads)
* Team member chevrons now only visible when they are in line of sight. Squad chevrons remain visible and will still stick to the edge of the screen
* HP bars and name tag visible only for what you are aiming/firing at
* Hit indication from allied sources when friendly fire is disabled
* Updated name tags displayed while in the War Barge
* Updated LAV free cam view when using the mouse so that it is more dynamic
* New vehicle/infantry collision system & damage tuning to lower the effect of the 'murder taxi'
* Improved dropship camera view
* Improved turret aiming and camera view
* The Amarr Laser Rifle has a new red-dot sight, replacing the old iron-sight
* Increased ADS (aim down sights) aiming speed with the Amarr Laser Rifle
* Swarm Launcher base lock-on time has been increased to 1.4 from 1.2 and its fire interval has been reduced from 2 to 0.3
* Improved animation LOD switching for better visual display
* Added new vehicle shield and vehicle armor effects
* Optimizations made to vehicle models and dropship thruster effects to decrease performance cost
* Made Visual improvements to SSAO, rays and dynamic tone mapping
* Added HUD translucency option
* Environment Mood color values reset to match the corresponding level moods
* Fixed particle lights so weapons and objects around the player will be illuminated when firing a weapon
* Fixed shield impact effects for small handheld weapons so it’s visually easier to recognize if you are inflicting shield or armor damage
* Adjusted Armor Plate attributes - HP bonus of 85/110/135 (Basic/Enhanced/Complex) and speed penalties of 2%/3%/5% (with full skill bonuses this equates to 93.5/121/148.5)
* Adjusted Ferroscale Plate attributes - HP bonus of 35/50/75 (with full skill bonuses this equates to 38.5/55/82.5)
* Adjusted Reactive Plate attributes - HP bonus of 25/40/60 and speed penalties of 0%/1%/1% (with full skill bonuses this equates to 27.5/44/66)
* Made deployed enemy equipment detectable with the active scanner
* Active Scanner now causes detected objects to pulse on the HUD/minimap/overview map so that you can more easily identify scan results
* Updated equipment deployment system to prevent deployment failures
* Implemented Surface Infrastructure Sets so now medium and small socket components are defined by the large socket component in the map
* Introduction of the “Research Facility" Surface Infrastructure, comprising one large outpost with several integrated medium and small sockets
* Three new battlegrounds in a brand new mission terrain: Impact Ridge, Fracture Road, Border Gulch
* Added new night mood layer
* Matchmaking has been rebuilt from the ground up to offer more balanced matches, more flexibility, and future proofing
* Matchmaking will now vary wait times in order to try and build better teams
* In conjunction with the new matchmaking system, the Battle Finder has been rebuilt to take advantage of the new matchmaking features
* Instant Battles are now all combined into Public Contracts; players can now select which game modes they wish to queue for allowing them to now queue for multiple game modes
* Factional Warfare battles are now available as a queue known as Faction Contracts; players can choose which faction(s) they wish to queue for
* Corporation Battles are now found under Corporation Contracts
* Implemented idle timer to prevent AFK farming in battle ground or MCC. Players not performing any PVP action in a certain period of time will be kicked out of the game
* New daily activity bonus: 3000SP for the first day, increasing by 500SP every consecutive day. Daily bonus is capped at 6000SP (attained after 7 days of consecutive logins)
* All handheld weapon reload skills now have a cost multiplier of x3 (down from x6) and their skill book ISK price reduced to 203,000 from 774,000
* All heavy weapon reload skills now provide a 5% bonus, up from 3%
* The Forge Gun, Mass Driver, Swarm Launcher, and Plasma Cannon ammo skills now provide 1 extra unit of ammo for each level of the skill (for a maximum of 5) instead of a % bonus per level
* The HMG Operation skill bonus has been changed from reducing heat build-up to reducing recoil by 5% per level
* The Swarm Launcher Operation skill bonus has been changed from increasing the clip size to reducing the lock-on time by 5%
* The Scrambler Rifle Operation skill bonus has been changed from reducing charge time to increasing cooldown speed by 5% (does not affect overheat cooldown speed). This affects the base and Assault variants
* Corporation tax: Corporations can now set a tax rate. The tax rate is the same for both EVE and DUST players in the corporation and can be set in either DUST or EVE. To set the tax rate in DUST you must be either a director or CEO of the corporation and go to edit the corporation details; the same location you would edit the corporation description. Tax is set as a percentage and will be deducted from all corp members whenever they receive income from a battle. Only rewards of 100,000 ISK or more will be taxed
* The Starmap now has better planet rendering
* Colors on the Starmap have been reassigned and NPC empires will now have their appropriate colors
Bug fixes and polish
* Fixed a bug on vehicles that prevented them from using the correct view distance at certain angles
* More hit detection improvements
* Various visual effect bug fixes
* Resolved voice chat connectivity issues related to Vivox
Alex is PSU's Community Manager and CEO of the site's DUST 514 corp, PSU GHOST SYNDICATE. You can follow him here in the forums or on Twitter @LogiBro514.