Elite Member

Individial Cells not as Reliable because of Complexity

As we have all undoubtedly heard, the Cell Processor, made by Toshiba, Sony and IBM, was designed to be one of the most potent processing systems available to the public today. Unfortunately, life in the real world is revealing that the complex design of the Cell Processor may be too complex to allow for the efficient operation of its entire complement of 8 cells per core.

IBM admits that it accepts chips that have only four out of 8 cells working, blaming the discrepancy on the size and complexity of the chips design. According to IBM VP of Semiconductor and Technology Services Tom Reeves, "with a chip like the Cell Processor you're lucky to get 10 to 20%" (working). Reeves goes on to say that, "the PS3 requires 7 of the 8 processors to be working," and that, "Sony will be using Cell Processors whether they have all cores functioning or not."

Obviously, at this point Sony is hitched to the fate of the Cell Processor no matter what happens. After Sony's substantial investment of time, money and resources into the processor, changing strategy now would move the project further down the road of disaster. All of this talk about the Cell Processor having various levels of functionality leads to obvious questions about quality control. What if I get one that only has 10% of its capacity functional will I notice a difference?

Should I have to pay the same amount of money for a lesser machine? Another potential pitfall for the processor is the fact that if one cell does happen to "blow out" (cease to function) prematurely, the machine must be sent in for an under warranty repair. If your machine is no longer under warranty then you are apparently out of luck. For those of you out there who have been reading all of this on the verge of tears, about to lose faith in the PS3 take heart!

As far as "blow outs" are concerned, Reeves claims that any problematic cells will be removed during the testing process and it is unlikely that a bad one would make it past QA and into public circulation. Sony apparently will be producing PS3's with different Cell Processors, but remember, the PS3 only needs 7 cells working to function, so essentially those with 8 working processors will simply have an unnecessary or spare cell that will not be used.

Reeves says that there is no difference in speed between a PS3 operating with 7 cells and one using 8 and while he maintains that it is unlikely that there will be any performance differences, only time will tell if there is actually any difference in overall performance. The miles of minutiae, complications and skepticism surrounding Sony's path to a successful PS3 release are a stirring testament to the difficulties they are facing and I feel, firm validation of the PS3's price point.
    Source
    Well this isn't good, could Sony be releasing PS3's without fully functioning processors.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aleman
    This article is just a misinterpretation of the interview with Reeves.

FUD.

Elite Sage
    "Sony will be using Cell Processors whether they have all cores functioning or not."
    One piece of news and it gets translated into all sorts...

The PS3's will have 7 SPE functioning Cell processors, one core is been made redndant for yield reasons.

Can people stop kicking the dead horse.
    Big Boss Emblem FTW!

Elite Member
    Calm down, I havn't been on these forums in a while, and the search didn't pick anything up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Elite Guru
    Why are people still making doomsday predictions even AFTER they saw and played Heavenly Sword at E3? (Which has more than 6 months left for development by the way)

Some "analysts" ahem Inquirer morons ahem should get a life once in a while.
    "and I mean If he doesn't like you after he sees this, then you're just gonna have to go back home and put some more make up on."

Pots n' Pans Robot
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleman
    This article is just a misinterpretation of the interview with Reeves.

FUD.
    Doesn't this happen too often? One bit of news comes out and one site glorifies it, one criticizes it, and one posts it as if it were the apocalypse.

Some of these writers need to educate themselves about the topic at hand before opening their mouths. I swear it's like their the Koolaid man and some asbestos and debris fell into their big, dumb, open head when they stupidly crashed through a wall screaming "OOH YEAAH!!"
    Kevin Levine on Bioshock PS3: "...we’re not talking about any other versions right now."

Super Elite
    <sigh> I'm tired of debunking this particular rumor. Someone else do it.

Little Big Planet Levels: "Little Big Galactic Frontier: Project Icarus" and "Boss AI Tuturial"
    My Set-Up: 1080p Sony KDL-40V2500, Onkyo 674 A/V Receiver (with 1080p mod), 5.1 Surround Sound with Ascend Acoustics & Hsu Subwoofer

Super Elite
    Yes, I think that its also important to mention that the cell is not only being used in PS3, you selfish gamers. There are people dying of cancer, and cell can benifit these people as well. Its ok if some cells are used for medical imaging, you'll just not be able to play PS3 for a while. Geez, what the heck.

Quote Originally Posted by UCONN for life
    Yes, I think that its also important to mention that the cell is not only being used in PS3, you selfish gamers. There are people dying of cancer, and cell can benifit these people as well. Its ok if some cells are used for medical imaging, you'll just not be able to play PS3 for a while. Geez, what the heck.
    I believe that cells that come off the fab line with only 4 functional SPE's are being used for medical purposes.

Back to Grim Reapers Topic:

The 10-20% yields are only for the fully fuctional 8 SPE's units. Like in the above example. Cell's with less then 7 SPE's (the ones with 7 or more are used for PS3s and Cell Blades for servers) are to be used in other electronics. Eventually PDA's, TV's, toasters and whatnot will feature Cell units and when networked can all be used in tandem.

Dedicated Member
    Why are people still finding this topic so hard to understand?

To summarise again, PS3 Cell is a 1xPPU 8XSPU varient with one of the SPU's disabled. That one SPU could be inactive because it just doesn't work, or it could be inactive because it was switched off in software. Either way, PS3 Cell will use 7 SPUs. This has always been the case. The processors are fully functional as per Sony's specification.

If there aren't 7 functional SPUs on the chip, then it doesn't go in the console.... capish?
    -----------------------------------------------
    *** Raising awareness of Warhawk being region-locked ***
    http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...cending&page=1

Ultimate Veteran
    Yield % is irrelevant. Yield/monetary unit is what's important.
    War is fought for silence. For, it is with silence, you will know that war has ended.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Steroyd
    "Sony will be using Cell Processors whether they have all cores functioning or not."
    One piece of news and it gets translated into all sorts...

The PS3's will have 7 SPE functioning Cell processors, one core is been made redndant for yield reasons.

I'm with you and that is what Sony has stated several times -- plain and simple. You know, this s-h-i-t is getting real annoying. The Inquirer takes some article, twists it all around until the original content is totally distorted, then comes up with some totally lame title for it like "Cell Yields in the Toilet". Then this is the same old progression. Kotaku picks it up and distorts it some more. Then Joystiq copies that and twists it even more. Then Gizmodo picks it up from Joystiq. From there, it gets picked up by 15 or twenty other game and xflop fanfairy sites. After a few days, there are all these idiots insisting that it is a fact.

These imbeciles seem to miss the main point that IBM is not making the Cell for the PS3 exclusively. Sony is making the PS3 Cell in their *new* Nagasaki plant. What the h-e-l-l is with the mods of this forum anyway? I try to post this and they immediately remove the post but then they let that crappy Inquirer post just sit there, day after day.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefein
    Yield % is irrelevant. Yield/monetary unit is what's important.
    QFT

Once that number starts to drop we'll start seeing a PS3 price drop and probably more household Cell electronics.

Elite Sage
    Thread locked due to misinterpreted interview with quotes being quoted out of the context in that article.

Locked.
    I am a moron. Do not argue with me because I will drag you down to my level and win with experience .

Thread Information