Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2030 ... LastLast
    Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    If the 720 rumors do turn out true then it's just going to be the 2nd most powerful console on the market. It's not going to be wiiu-like weak and likely miss out on titles due to not having enough ram, ect.

Forum Overseer
    Actually he's technically right, because the rumors also involve a bloated OS. Who knows. If the OS is not bloated and the RAM is GDDR3, you're still dealing with slower RAM.

I didn't see a huge difference between both strategies until Sony went with 8GB, I see it difficult for MS to compete with that and I would rather side with a strong 8GB than likely whatever MS is going to go with.

I like media/social features but not that much. We already don't have enough RAM on consoles.

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    I wasn't calling the 720 weak. I said it's not going to be weak even if the rumors are true and therefore it's not going to miss out on any games. Like how the wii missed out on a lot of ps3/360 titles.

Ultimate Veteran
    Yes, because we all know that MS 360 O/s is bloated compared to PS3's??

uuuhhhh

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post

uuuhhhh
    Well, if MS' focus is correct (judging by the rumors) then it's likely that they will offer a lot more social/media features and if Kinect is integrated. Sony is keeping it very minimal imo, I don't see any useless features in there except sharing (which isn't useless to others). Not to mention, this past time was Sony's first time so obviously it will only get more efficient.

Of course MS will also get more efficient but the problem with Sony this time was that they just didn't do a good job with making an efficient OS. So it'll only be natural to see more efficiencies from Sony next round.

Administrator

uuuhhhh
    From what I've read, the 360 OS is more memory efficient than the PS3's. Neither of them are using more than 100 MB of RAM, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Well, if MS' focus is correct (judging by the rumors) then it's likely that they will offer a lot more social/media features and if Kinect is integrated. Sony is keeping it very minimal imo, I don't see any useless features in there except sharing (which isn't useless to others). Not to mention, this past time was Sony's first time so obviously it will only get more efficient.

Of course MS will also get more efficient but the problem with Sony this time was that they just didn't do a good job with making an efficient OS. So it'll only be natural to see more efficiencies from Sony next round.
    It's far too early to predict any of this. Microsoft's main focus for the last several decades has been coding Operating Systems. They definitely have an advantage in that arena.
    Last edited by Brandon; 03-20-2013 at 01:15.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    From what I've read, the 360 OS is more memory efficient than the PS3's. Neither of them are using more than 100 MB of RAM, though.
    360's OS is not only half the size, it has tons more features.

I think you're confusing the actual OS that sits at the desktop (for the lack of a better word) and the one that you get in-game.

Master Sage
    http://www.vgleaks.com/durango-xdk/

- Always on, Always connected
    - Low powered mode
    - Kinect sold with every console, wider FOV, no motors, better tracking
    - Kinect is required to be plugged in
    - Low latency controller with "improved ergonomics", simplified interaction with console OS
    - Bluray drive
    - All games must be installed on HDD [you can start playing few secs after installation starts], game data streaming from optical disc not supported
    - Only digital audio out

Forum Overseer
    It's far too early to predict any of this. Microsoft's main focus for the last several decades has been coding Operating Systems. They definitely have an advantage in that arena.
    I would never deny that but it is very easy for an OS to go up in RAM depending on what you want it to do. If they plan to have any features in-game then it would make the OS go up in RAM regardless of how good they are with efficient coding.

Ultimate Veteran

I still struggle with anything over 1gb to be honest. Considering what they did in 32 mb last time.

Administrator
    I would never deny that but it is very easy for an OS to go up in RAM depending on what you want it to do. If they plan to have any features in-game then it would make the OS go up in RAM regardless of how good they are with efficient coding.
    I didn't say the RAM usage isn't going to go up, that's pretty much guaranteed to happen.

Forum Overseer
    I still struggle with anything over 1gb to be honest. Considering what they did in 32 mb last time.
    You guys are confusing things again. 32MB is in-game that is almost feature-less. The actual OS is probably around 200MB-250MB for both consoles. From what I recall, PS3 used up the entire 256MB system RAM and was 60MB in-game.

When Sony says 512MB, they probably mean in-game. very unlikely that's the MBs of the full OS.

Now 3GB sounds insane and no way that'd be in-game but it could be the size of the full OS. 1GB is too conservative, I think it'll probably be somewhere around 1.5 to 2.0.

In-game would be another story, not sure, 1GB in-game would be insane, I think it'll probably be less than that...then again if they want to have Kinect integrated then it might be 1GB in-game. Though 1GB as a full OS is too conservative.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    Document pretty much confirms a 2nd independant CPU system.
    Woot.*

*if true.

Forum Sage
    You guys are confusing things again. 32MB is in-game that is almost feature-less. The actual OS is probably around 200MB-250MB for both consoles. From what I recall, PS3 used up the entire 256MB system RAM and was 60MB in-game.

When Sony says 512MB, they probably mean in-game. very unlikely that's the MBs of the full OS.

Now 3GB sounds insane and no way that'd be in-game but it could be the size of the full OS. 1GB is too conservative, I think it'll probably be somewhere around 1.5 to 2.0.

In-game would be another story, not sure, 1GB in-game would be insane, I think it'll probably be less than that...then again if they want to have Kinect integrated then it might be 1GB in-game. Though 1GB as a full OS is too conservative.
    AFAIK, the 360 OS never exceeded 32MB of memory usage.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    That's what I thought.

Power Member
    Sufi is referring to the dashboard. The dashboard (or, in his words, the 360 "OS") was certainly greater than 32MB. But the actual functions, game invites, parties, voice chat etc, fit into that snug 32MB that would pop up any time you hit the Xbox button.

17. Likes Omar, YoungMullah88 likes this post
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Sufi is referring to the dashboard. The dashboard (or, in his words, the 360 "OS") was certainly greater than 32MB. But the actual functions, game invites, parties, voice chat etc, fit into that snug 32MB that would pop up any time you hit the Xbox button.
    Ahh. That makes a little more sense.

Ultimate Veteran
    Correct, if you all want to know what is available in the O/S, its all the stuff that you can see when you push the guide button.

Forum Sage
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_system_software

http://technabob.com/blog/2007/03/26...than-xbox-360/

Administrator
    So it is just 32 MB for the entire system, with the rest being for games. That's some efficient coding.

Ultimate Veteran
    Anything available in the guide button push, is residing in memory (eg, friends list etc), but the bloat that is the current dash would use a lot more than that. (eg friends avatars).
    It is for sure extra fluff not required, and also why its only avaliable in dash.

I would imagine the original blades o/s stuck to the 32mb.

23. Likes Omar likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    That's what I thought.
    So it is just 32 MB for the entire system, with the rest being for games. That's some efficient coding.
    Nope. It's just that most people only care to know about the in-game OS footprint, that's why no one talks about the full OS that resides in the memory.

Let me give an example, if the full OS of 360 was 32MB and PS3 60MB then they both wouldn't go do the semi-reset (for the lack of a more technical word word) and instead would start loading up a game like a PC would i.e. on-the-fly game-starting.

Or you would be able to do everything in-game that you could do in the dashboard. That's simply not true.

The system is resetting and gathering all the memory (and this is when the in-game OS reserves whatever it does).

I'm not a PC wizard but I've been using them like a geek for over 20 years, I know a thing or two
    Last edited by Omar; 03-20-2013 at 03:39.

Administrator
    Nope. It's just that most people only care to know about the in-game OS footprint, that's why no one talks about the full OS that resides in the memory.

Let me give an example, if the full OS of 360 was 32MB and PS3 60MB then they both wouldn't go do the semi-reset (for the lack of a more technical word word) and instead would start loading up a game like a PC would i.e. on-the-fly game-starting.

Or you would be able to do everything in-game that you could do in the dashboard. That's simply not true.

The system is resetting and gathering all the memory (and this is when the in-game OS reserves whatever it does).

I'm not a PC wizard but I've been using them like a geek for over 20 years, I know a thing or two
    It's just confusing when you read 800 different things on 800 websites.

Forum Overseer
    Yea I know what you mean. For a long time I thought they were pretty small too but an article mentioned the full size of the PS3 OS. Then I was all like, ohhhhh yea makes sense lol. Even the smallest Linux is like 30-40MBs...and those are tiny...very tiny. Damn Small Linux is actually 10MBs lol...think they even have a 6MB version. But that's like very very basic.

Interestingly I'm running a linux on this netbook that takes up about 40MBs barebones and once I load it up with all the necessities i.e. wireless network program, volume icon, power manager, taskbar, desktop environment, it goes up to about 100-110MB and that's supposed to be VERY GOOD. No junk, just to the point and it makes my netbook run like a Pentium 3, no joke.

If MS or Sony were able to output that in 30-60MB, that would make them geniuses.

Forum Sage
    Yea I know what you mean. For a long time I thought they were pretty small too but an article mentioned the full size of the PS3 OS. Then I was all like, ohhhhh yea makes sense lol. Even the smallest Linux is like 30-40MBs...and those are tiny...very tiny. Damn Small Linux is actually 10MBs lol...think they even have a 6MB version. But that's like very very basic.

Interestingly I'm running a linux on this netbook that takes up about 40MBs barebones and once I load it up with all the necessities i.e. wireless network program, volume icon, power manager, taskbar, desktop environment, it goes up to about 100-110MB and that's supposed to be VERY GOOD. No junk, just to the point and it makes my netbook run like a Pentium 3, no joke.

If MS or Sony were able to output that in 30-60MB, that would make them geniuses.
    Look at what has been done with smartphones.

MS is running WP8 on smartphones with at little as 256MB of RAM.

Thread Information