Extreme Poster

Evolution of Halo (1998 RTS build to 2000 3rd person build)

Yes, I know the videos are old but I love reading about and seeing footage of a game's development. And with Halo Wars 2 having released late last month, it's interesting to find out the original Halo Wars wasn't the first time the series experimented with real-time strategy.

Part 1:

Part 2:

I wonder why they use the word "engine", as in the exterior or interior engine, to describe moving to a different part of the level? I know that open world levels are rendered differently from interior levels to avoid crashing but doesn't a game only use one game engine?
    Last edited by Vyse; 03-09-2017 at 20:36.
    Thanks to Kwes for the signature!

"As long as there are dreamers who have the courage to pursue their dreams, the world will have heroes. And as long as there is a thirst to discover the unknown, there will be new stories to tell...and new adventures to be had."

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyse View Post
    Yes, I know the videos are old but I love reading about and seeing footage of a game's development. And with Halo Wars 2 having released late last month, it's interesting to find out the original Halo Wars wasn't the first time the series experimented with real-time strategy.

Part 1:

Part 2:

I wonder why they use the word "engine", as in the exterior or interior engine, to describe moving to a different part of the level? I know that open world levels are rendered differently from interior levels to avoid crashing but doesn't a game only use one game engine?
    No , interior stuff will be well stored and rendered in a completely different way to external stuff. Of course they are referring to the rendering engines. Not the entire game engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Extreme Poster
    I think I understand. It's similar to someone who might refer to a physics engine in that they mean a specific application within the game engine, right?
    Thanks to Kwes for the signature!

"As long as there are dreamers who have the courage to pursue their dreams, the world will have heroes. And as long as there is a thirst to discover the unknown, there will be new stories to tell...and new adventures to be had."

Ultimate Veteran
    Correct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information