Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Super Elite
    can someone put up warhawk for the ps1 and the ps3, i want to see them. by the way nice comparisons, when smugglers run 2 came out did it improve on the graphics?
    Human flesh2010 Laker Champs.

Master Sage
    Someone put up DMC1 and DMC4.

Forum Sage
    Here's a chronological look at PS2 RPG's, past to present.
    Summoner (2000)

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (2001)

Kingdom Hearts (2002)

Final Fantasy X (2002)

Jade Cocoon 2 (2002)

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter (2003)

Dark Cloud 2 (2003)

Xenosaga Episode 2 (2005)

Dragon Quest VIII (2006)

Final Fantasy XII (2006/2007 for Europeans)

An interesting look back, don't you think?

Lastfm id: RadioheadSnob

Devil May Cry (2001)

Devil May Cry 2 (2003)

Devil May Cry 3 : Dante's Awakening (2005)

Devil May Cry 4 (2007)

look at the growth it had solely on the playstation 2... look at the Ps3 attempt 1... now imagine...

Metal Gears of War 2
    Coming soon to the PS3 and XBoX360

Apprentice
    I guess it depends what your comparing. I could show pics of Castlevania-symphony of the Night (PS1) and Castlevania-Curse Of Darkness (PS2) and unless youve played them , you wouldnt think that symphony crushes curse of darkness. Ill also take Final Fantasy anthology and chronicles(PS1) , over FFX and FFx-2 (PS2). Star Ocean-2nd Story (PS1) also better tha PS2 Star Ocean (most peoples opinions). The one thing screnshots dont tell ya is how good the gameplay is , which is the most important factor. Overall though, PS2 is obviuosly better.

Elite Guru

I know someone wanted to see a warhawk comparison, here it is:

note: this is a playstation1 game compared to a playstation3 game

WOAH!!! the comparison Svetlana posted is just amazing, look at how the games improved. And people thought the graphics were crazy when the machine launched, makes you think of what we will think of playstation3 launch games in 5-6 years. I think the biggest jump was (in terms of graphics ofcourse) from 2000 to 2001. Just imagine how playstation3 games will look in 1 to 2 years from now
    That racing game thread started posted and Summoner looks like flash games

EDIT: nice devil may cry comparison, i just bought the first game 3 hours ago

Apprentice
    Wow , the PS1 warhawk looks like a low res N64 game.

Master Sage
    Pinkmonst3r vbmenu_register("postmenu_706270", true); please change the DMC4 pic to something more recent.

Dedicated Member
    Virtua Fighter:

VF4: Evolution

VF5:

Super Elite
    Wow the change is incredible. The ps2 certainly has come a long way, I cant even begin to imagine what Ps3 will be like in 2-5 years.

@TURKMEN117, that is an awsome comparison of how graohics have improved.

Super Elite
    can we do a comparison of some launch ps2 games to ps2 games now say MGS2 to MGS3? It's obviously going to look better if you post a ps2 vs. ps3 game, or even ps1 vs. ps3 (warhawk), I just wanna see first gen ps2 to last gen ps2 to see how much of an improvement there was there

much thanks to thorzilla for the sig/avatar

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemo View Post
    yeah this boggles the mind when you peek into the crystal ball.
    i know i will be laughing at the quality of motorstorm 4 years from now.
    Ha ha, thats true. Its amazing how much graphics have progressed.

Apprentice
    Nice avatar darkswordsman , i want Berserk on a next gen console. Guts is the ultimate bad ass.

Elite Guru

Here is a comparison of Madden 2001 and Madden 2007:
    I think the improvement is fantastic (although maybe not as huge as the rpg comparison)

Just look at all the detail they have been able to put there, its crazy how big the improvement is

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemo View Post
    yeah this boggles the mind when you peek into the crystal ball.
    i know i will be laughing at the quality of motorstorm 4 years from now.
    Ha ha, thats true. Its amazing how much graphics have progressed.

Forum Sage
    can we do a comparison of some launch ps2 games to ps2 games now say MGS2 to MGS3? It's obviously going to look better if you post a ps2 vs. ps3 game, or even ps1 vs. ps3 (warhawk), I just wanna see first gen ps2 to last gen ps2 to see how much of an improvement there was there
    Have a look back one page. While it's not MGS, I posted some pictures of the RPG's from the PS2's launch to 2006.

Lastfm id: RadioheadSnob

Super Elite
    Yea, the KZ trailer should be achieved by PS3. Not saying it won't be a stretch, though.

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by Svetlana View Post
    Have a look back one page. While it's not MGS, I posted some pictures of the RPG's from the PS2's launch to 2006.
    thank you very much for the posts, lol I looked at kingdom hearts and laughed a little KH2 is leagues ahead of it, although I guessed I never noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by UCONN for life View Post
    Yea, the KZ trailer should be achieved by PS3. Not saying it won't be a stretch, though.
    it's quite a trailer, the thing that makes me mad about it is everyone who looks at it now is like "oh it's not that good now that I watch it" when in reality it is by far the most next gen thing I have seen, not many games compete with that one to this point, but having played killzone 1 just recently, the visuals were incredible for a ps2 game, so I don't doubt the talents of the devs, we'll see what happens though.

edit- look at motorstorm back at e3 06, everyone said the old trailer was so far away, then TGS happened and it was close, now the newer build looks even closer, after seeing the new pictures on the website it may even be there, with 5 more months to work on it, I have no doubts it will reach/surpass the e3 05 render, so why not killzone?

much thanks to thorzilla for the sig/avatar

Armored Core 2 (PS2)

Armored Core 4 (PS3)

Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore (ps2)

Dead or Alive 4 (360)

Dynasty Warriors 2 (ps2)

Genji: Days of the Blade (PS3)

Eternal Ring (ps2)

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PS3)

NHL 2001 (ps2)

NHL 2K7 (PS3)

Ridge Racer V (ps2)

Ridge Racer 7 (PS3)

Swing Away Golf (ps2)

Hot Shots Golf 5 (PS3)

TimeSplitters (ps2)

Haze (PS3)

Unreal Tournament (ps2)

Unreal Tournament 2007 (PS3)

Power Member
    It hard to take in the nostalgia for Sony's triumph in each PS console. It's great while the graphics took leaps and bounds, the gameplay followed as well. Here's to another 7-8 great years in gaming, cheers!D
    [I am] Claudia Donovan, Warehouse 13: next generation.

Forum Elder
    what a great thread!

the differences are so big, i really cant wait to see whats coming next.

Apprentice
    a good example would be to compare N64 Castlevania to Castlevania Lament of Innocense (PS2)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkmonst3r View Post
    Devil May Cry (2001)

Devil May Cry 2 (2003)

Devil May Cry 3 : Dante's Awakening (2005)

Devil May Cry 4 (2007)

look at the growth it had solely on the playstation 2... look at the Ps3 attempt 1... now imagine...
    just a little trivia
    if i remember correctly the first 3 devil may crys all run on the same engine

Apprentice
    This is a weird feeling, after watching all those PS2 screen shots I just want to go play those games again instead of worrying about everything and anything that is PS3. Especially TimeSplitters, Iím convinced that no FPS has better multi-player then that series and the only FPSs that will possibly top it any time soon are Resistance or Haze.

That aside, I think Tsunami has asked a very interesting and an important question. The PS2 definitely came a long way, no one can have any doubts about that after all those screen shot comparisons. I think itís important for people to understand though that the difference between PS3 launch games and the games it releases towards the end of itís lifespan wont be as shockingly different as they were with the PS2. Look at the launch titles for PS3, they look pretty realistic as they are now and these graphics are definitely going to improve over the years but you should ask yourselves, how much more is there to improve?

In some areas, games would seem to have just no limits for example environments, developers can keep going with that until they fit an entire universe on a disk or whatever else. In some areas like visuals, how much better can you actually make grass and trees look? Character models, weíre pretty close to CGI wether people want to admit it or not and I think by the end of the PS3 lifespan weíll probably hit true CGI. I think people need to remember that itís going to be a lot harder to make character models more detailed and itís going to take a lot more time to make the smallest differences, differences that most people wouldnít even appreciate. When we reach this stage, how much farther can developers go before things get over the top? Is it possible that if we reach a point were we try to make things LOOK too realistic weíll make them FEEL less realistic? Iím not sure, I just pulled that out of my ass but it seemed like an interesting thing to state at the time.

Anyways my point is to not expect as much difference in games now as there used to be because there is going to be less and less to improve on and itís going to take a lot more time/effort to make these improvements. We can only go so far until VR becomes a reality, besides how big and shiny do we really want games to get? If they get to shiny weíll just be too amazed by the view to play the games and if they get to big, how will we ever expect to beat them during our lifespan? The more hours you play in a video game, the less hours you will be playing outside in THE REAL WORLD.

i am a little sad that timesplitters has come to an end, but alas the third timesplitters brought the series to a fitting end

now i await haze, i just cant imagine what this game will be like, most defo in my top 10 games list for sure!

Thread Information