100% OFFICIAL FROM SONY THEMSELVES! - PS3 DELAYED!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LT1FUN

Superior Member
Dec 31, 2005
www.cardomain.com
Not coming as a surprise at all. It was almost too obvious that Sony would delay the PS3, but there were (unfortunately) a large number of fans who were under the impression that Sony was on track for a Sping release. After all, that's what Sony's been saying all along so it must be true. Why would they ever lie? :roll:

Simply put, what myself and many others have been saying all along, Sony's known about the delay for month's. This isn't something you just suddenly find out "last minute". It must have been obvious to Sony a loooong time ago. But they've continued on deceiving everybody, both game retailers and more importantly, their fans, with false hopes that everything was A-OK over at Sony when they knew all along, they were lying threw their teath just to buy themselves time. Basically, they wanted to fool everyone to keep thinking the PS3 was just around the corner to keep people from buying the 360.

In the end, I really think this is going to hurt the PS3. There will no doubt be many gamers who'll be pretty pissed at the fact they've been being lied to for so long. Kind of makes you wonder what else Sony's been, uhm..."deceiving" us about.

Oh well. The PS3 will arrive eventually. It'll still be a huge success (hopefully) it just wont be anytime soon. :wink:

Sony has at last admitted that the PlayStation 3 will be delayed until November. Although entirely expected, this is still extremely bad news for publishers and retailers.

Image Delays, after all, are rarely cause for celebration. As yet we have not been told of a price for PlayStation 3. It is probable that the machine will be the most expensive on the market, coming with a subsidised online gaming service as well as a Blu-ray drive.

This is fine for Sony in terms of hardware sales. The machine will be highly anticipated, a great product in huge demand. Howard Stringer will be pleased. But it will be some time before it represents a genuinely viable market for third party publishers.

Publishers have been prepared for the bad news. They've known about it for months. They'll probably be glad that the machine is being launched in the U.S this side of Thanksgiving. But this will be scant consolation for a launch that was supposed to happen "in the spring".

Sony says it will have a million units at launch and a million-a-month during the launch phase. These numbers have largely been welcomed by the media. But these units must be shared around the world, and the numbers do not take into account the fair probability of manufacturing problems, which seem to dog such launches. Shortages seem to be almost guaranteed, at least through Christmas.

If the U.S gets a million units by Christmas, it would be an achievement, but the PS3's installed base would still not be much higher than Xbox 360s as of Xmas 2005.

An optimistic tie-ratio of three would create a calendar 2006 market worth about 3 million games, shared out among eight to ten products. A 300,000 selling-game (highly optimistic) is a worthy goal, but in this environment it's no money-spinner. Put it this way; in terms of unit-sales, it'll place a game outside the top 40 sellers for the year. This leads us to believe that a significant proportion of launch titles will be multi-format releases, somewhat dampening the excitement.

In order to make money from PS3 in the early months, third parties would need to spread costs across platforms, create a genuine must-buy product, or create games that will still be selling in decent quantities six months or a year after launch.

For much of the game industry, this delay is effectively the absence of a major console for the best part of as year.

At E3, we'll see some PS3 games and there'll be more details of the PlayStation Network Platform. Over the next few months, attention will turn towards the games on offer at launch. Publishers will no doubt ponder which of their prized launch titles - backed by $10 to $20 million in development investment - are likely to see a return from such a small audience.

In the fall, we can look forward to the excitement and buzz generated by a Sony and a Nintendo launch. But at games retail check-outs, 2006 will not be about PS3 or Revolution.

It will be about Xbox 360 which, we hope, will have a worldwide installed base of well over 5 million by the time PlayStation 3 arrives. And it will be about DS and PSP, both of which are benefiting from some market excitement. And it will still be about Xbox and PlayStation 2 games. This is a market in sharp decline, but it is still the meat and potatoes of retail revenues.

With that in mind, by what measure has the next generation actually arrived?
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2493&Itemid=2

LT1FUN

Superior Member
Dec 31, 2005
www.cardomain.com
the house said:
been posted man, sorry and yes a world wide launch.
Did a search but can't find this article anywhere. All the threads I've been seeing have been rumours and predictions. This one's official from Sony themselves.

Oh well. Can't blame a guy for trying :lol:

Could you provide a link please? I'd be interested to read some other people's responses. :)

Nov 10, 2005
Well this is the first iv'e heard this is actually good news if you think about we finally have a release date and although it is bad because we have to wait a bit more but if it's worldwide launch that means only 4 months after the release Australia gets it!!! :D and maybe they will actually include us Aussies in the the "worldwide launch" because after we are part of the world.

I can just imagine bills face as he heard this big cheesy smile oh well.

Capo Digi

Superior Member
Dec 17, 2005
Delay? What delay?
Oh you mean the Japanese, never mind, unlucky chaps :cry: at least it's not the "early 2007" scenario more than a few doom-mongers here were stating as fact yesterday.

Early November is GREAT news for us Europeans, in fact it's pretty much as everyone expected as far back as E3 - no delay.

Speaking for myself I couldn't be happier.

This is going to be one ****-hot piece of kit.

GoreTex

Dedicated Member
Nov 1, 2005
www.di.fm
The_Boss said:
It doesn't matter to me! I'm from Europe so a November launch was expected in Europe! I can't wait!!!!
Same here!

It's the first time Sony doesn't screw us over, lol.
I think they are making it up with us.

Keesie

Forum Sage
Aug 23, 2005
HELL YEAH, SONY YOU"RE THE MAN, I expected to have the ps3 at the end of 2007 here in Europe, worldwide launch with 6 million units ready :D

DarkShadow

Superior Member
Jan 7, 2006
I was blind to see this conference as like the MTV 360 special, but I will say it IS a good thing that they are launching later because then the ps3 will be made more efficiently.

Mar 15, 2006
It's official Sony has more idiots than MS (close call though). November is bad because there will be massive shortages for christmas and the backlog( like 360) will take ages to clear up( I don't care how many they claim to have, remember MS claims). Most people will have their PS3 a few months into 2007. Why are some people happy. They said Spring. They haven't delivered and they could have, as the technology is out and about now.

Then to keep the kiddies talking '4D gaming'. What's that says one thread. Easy boring hype meaning absolutely nothing. I thought Moore's 'zen of gaming' was bad but you should never underestimate Ken.

As you can tell by my tone I'm a little pissed off they have delayed the release so they can stick a blu-ray drive on to it. Blu-ray images are good but not such a leap over DVD that you must get one. Storage space is irrelevant as most games couldn't fill a normal DVD or anywhere close. The cost to fill the content of blu-ray which couldn't be ported to other systems will be too much for most developers to even consider. This blu-ray nonsense could hit the PS3 hard, no question about that. We could all be playing PS3 now because the technology is there.

Nothing is forever Sony. As a gamer (I'm lucky to have most systems) brand loyalty is ridiculous. But the PS2 had great games, and franchises but so do other systems. Don't test my patience Sony because you're not as important as you think you are. And if you have lied again about the power of the PS3 like you did with the PS2. Let's just say I hope you haven't.

LT1FUN

Superior Member
Dec 31, 2005
www.cardomain.com
warzin said:
It's official Sony has more idiots than MS (close call though). November is bad because there will be massive shortages for christmas and the backlog( like 360) will take ages to clear up( I don't care how many they claim to have, remember MS claims). Most people will have their PS3 a few months into 2007. Why are some people happy. They said Spring. They haven't delivered and they could have, as the technology is out and about now.

Then to keep the kiddies talking '4D gaming'. What's that says one thread. Easy boring hype meaning absolutely nothing. I thought Moore's 'zen of gaming' was bad but you should never underestimate Ken.

As you can tell by my tone I'm a little pissed off they have delayed the release so they can stick a blu-ray drive on to it. Blu-ray images are good but not such a leap over DVD that you must get one. Storage space is irrelevant as most games couldn't fill a normal DVD or anywhere close. The cost to fill the content of blu-ray which couldn't be ported to other systems will be too much for most developers to even consider. This blu-ray nonsense could hit the PS3 hard, no question about that. We could all be playing PS3 now because the technology is there.

Nothing is forever Sony. As a gamer (I'm lucky to have most systems) brand loyalty is ridiculous. But the PS2 had great games, and franchises but so do other systems. Don't test my patience Sony because you're not as important as you think you are. And if you have lied again about the power of the PS3 like you did with the PS2. Let's just say I hope you haven't.

You know what? That's a really good point. I hadn't even thought about that. Releasing the PS3 so close to Christmas time, it's almost guarenteed that their will be mass hardware shortages simply because it's Christmas time and everyone is going to want one.

Kind of makes me wonder when infact, they'll be able to produce enough PS3's to supply demand? You thought MS had problems with shortages, :lol: Just wait and see what's going to happen with the PS3 :shock:

Oh, and as far as "4D" gaming. :roll: That's such a load of B.S. it's not even funny. It's just another marketing term Ken Kutari's spat out to build up even more hype. No doubt there will countless thousands of theads all over the internet discussing how much "superior" the PS3 is over eveything else because it's the only console that can do "4D" gaming. :roll:

Got to hand it to Sony though, they are masters of hype. Somehow or another, even after lying to their loyal fanbase for MONTH'S now about the PS3's spring launch. Hell, barely a week ago they were saying all the PS3 news saying that there would be a delay were nothing more than FALSE, RUMOURS and now one week later, they finally admitt it will be delayed. Obviously, they knew all along but they continued to deceive everyone.

Even with all the lies,, with only the the promise of "4D" gaming and an included HD, they've managed to keep eveyone from asking why, up untill the very last minute, they were claiming everyting was on track for a spring release. They managed to lead people attention away from the fact they've been lying all along, and now they don't have to answer that question, because the public and the media are to busy thinking of all the possibilities of a 60GB HD and 4D gaming.

Congradulations Sony. You guy's sure are the kings of marketing spin. Gotta respect that. Not too many other companies are that good :lol:

capps

Dedicated Member
Jan 9, 2006
Now that it's official it doesn't really upset me. At this point I have to go reserve one in the next couple of days, and figure out how to save up the rest of the money... :D The whole delay thing is not too bad, I had a feeling that the US would be getting it in the later summer anyway, so a few more months is not too bad.

And of course there will be sellouts, if Sony released it tomorrow it would be sold out everywhere. There will be sellouts regardless, but I think that this Christmas will be a crazy shopping season. The Xbox 360 will have a price drop to $349 for the premium package probably, the PS3 may come in at $399 with the HD included. But unless you reserve it now, there won't be any PS3's sitting around, and even if you do reserve it now, you may not get one for a few months.

keshin

Dedicated Member
May 21, 2005
I think its great news for EU if the worldwide launch is true... but is it true? I believe a November release for JP and US is definite in time for the holidays, but EU? Hmmm I wouldn't hold my breath. A supposed Worldwide launch is great cover for Sony to hold onto the customer base in EU under the present circumstances.

But apart from that, has it been confirmed that PS3 will be region-free for gaming?

Capo Digi

Superior Member
Dec 17, 2005
LT1FUN said:
You know what? That's a really good point. I hadn't even thought about that. Releasing the PS3 so close to Christmas time, it's almost guarenteed that their will be mass hardware shortages simply because it's Christmas time and everyone is going to want one.

Kind of makes me wonder when infact, they'll be able to produce enough PS3's to supply demand? You thought MS had problems with shortages, :lol: Just wait and see what's going to happen with the PS3 :shock:
When did the 360 launch? :roll:
The truth is you'd probably whine if they said a worldwide launch is coming next month, and wail even more if they waited till after Christmas.
Tooo negative and smug Sir! as always.

B

Bob Loblaw

warzin said:

Blu-Ray will be leaps and bounds above DVD. Why?

HIGH DEFINITION.

When I watch a TV series like 24 on DVD and then watch the new shows in HD the difference is amazing. The two can't even be compared. It literally has to be seen to be believed.

I'm not sure how games will take advantage (probably by using the 1080p part of it) but they definitely can make them much larger and more graphics intensive since the storage space is there.

And how did they lie about PS2? Don't mention "Toy Story graphics" because that was George Lucas who made that statement.

LT1FUN

Superior Member
Dec 31, 2005
www.cardomain.com
Mar 15, 2006
Bob Loblaw said:
warzin said:

Blu-Ray will be leaps and bounds above DVD. Why?

HIGH DEFINITION.

When I watch a TV series like 24 on DVD and then watch the new shows in HD the difference is amazing. The two can't even be compared. It literally has to be seen to be believed.

I'm not sure how games will take advantage (probably by using the 1080p part of it) but they definitely can make them much larger and more graphics intensive since the storage space is there.

And how did they lie about PS2? Don't mention "Toy Story graphics" because that was George Lucas who made that statement.
Remember the emotion engine. Ken's replaced it with 4d gaming now. If th 4th dimension is time and Ken can manipulate it, then hey November is the new 'spring' launch.

Steroyd

Elite Sage
Jun 17, 2005
40s said:
Now we know for next time boys and girls, Sony + silence = bad thing.
How so?

If people really did believe in a worldwide launch in Spring then you'd be disapointed (but i did hope for the possibility).

Anyway there was more good than the supposed bad want me to make a list?

S

St Jude

LT1FUN said:
Mods can delete this thread if they choose. :(
Your an idiot you know that don't you? As soon as a thread goes sour on you...you ask for your thread to be deleted...you knit-wit...

Metal Warrior

Master Poster
Nov 18, 2005
Antwerp
warzin said:
It's official Sony has more idiots than MS (close call though). November is bad because there will be massive shortages for christmas and the backlog( like 360) will take ages to clear up( I don't care how many they claim to have, remember MS claims).
This doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Suppose Sony launches with about 3-5 million units worldwide in November. Most likely, all of them will be sold that very month. They'll have little time to build up another stock for Christmas, that's true. But whatever number of PS3 units they manage to put out before Christmas, they'll get sold out no matter what.

Suppose they'd wait untill Christmas. So they'll have the 3-5 million units which were already done in November + the extra number of consoles produced between November and Christmas. At the end of the year, it's the exact same scenario as far as console sales are concerned, plus they'll have an extra month of game sales and possibly Blu-Ray movie sales.

And not to forget, they still have Nintendo to compete with. They wouldn't want to give them a lead start as well.

Mar 15, 2006
Of course Christmas is important but not this one, the next. I would have thought their will be few PS3 in the shops to buy. Most will be snapped up on preorder. So in fact christmas will be wasted as everyone who wants one would have bought one whatever time of year it was. Now if you release in August or Sept you get a chance to wipe out the preorder and hopefully start to stock the shops up in time for christmas and so you get the benift of people buying PS3's for xmas presents. The way they do it seems to waste christmas as an oportunity to sell more systems. MS did this too. There may be a good reason for doing it this way, as both Sony and MS deem Nov a good time to release, but I don't see what it is.

A

andres

Sony UK has contacted me to ask how we got this information:

http://www.psu.com/ps3-trophies/singstar/

They claim there hasn't been any official announcement so wanted to know our source. I guess it's from the US office? If so, are you able to give me the name of the person who gave the information out so I can tell them. Or if not, which site the info was sourced from,

Thanks

C

curryking1

"No comment. PlayStation Universe does not comment on speculation or inside information."

Seb

Veteran
Dec 8, 2003
London
www.gamerguides.com
Dave said:
"No comment. PlayStation Universe does not comment on speculation or inside information."
haha.

-------

On a serious note please don't reply or if you would prefer please refer her onto me.

She's already contacted me directly but unless they are getting angry we are not going to remove it and I am not going to discuss it with them.

Seb

Status
Not open for further replies.