13 years.....Time to call it quits

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
I joined this community in 2007. I was 27 years old and forums were at their peak. This place had hundreds of members online at the same time and it was so much fun chatting, arguing, and complimenting forum members. Fun contests and my daily hot chick threads will always be something I enjoyed doing.

Sadly those hundreds of members I enjoyed talking with will most likely never read this and it is unfortunate. It is time to call it quits.

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
I may be starting up another forum later this year. I will let you know. If I do, it will be well funded. This place is indeed dead AF and there really isn't much of a point coming here. The owners do not give a flying hoot owl's ass about this place and they haven't for many years. I'm glad their front page is doing well ... but there wouldn't even be a front page if it wasn't for the forums. The forums are what made this site blow up. We had to keep updating the servers because there was simply too much traffic from member activity. I remember when the original owners bought the PSU.com domain name for $50,000. I've been here since literally the beginning (2004). I was the one of the first of three moderators this place ever had. So yeah ... I'm sad to see this place being the graveyard that it is. I fully understand you calling it quits. Coming here is simply depressing, lol.

$Greatness$

Master Poster
Sep 4, 2009
Baltimore, MD
I miss this play dearly. I joined in 2009 at the age of 22 and it was lively. PSU forums will always haev a special place in my heart. As Shingo stated, it was a joyful ride.

Feb 14, 2020
As the great and late poet Hector Lavoe says ... "Everything has its end ... nothing lasts forever ..." by the way, excellent movie to say, watch it at Streaming

AJe

Former chief
Mar 19, 2007
I joined in 2007 and was the first non-owner Admin. It was a privilege to help run and be involved in such a great community but the neglect by the former and current owners has killed what it was. I'm amazed some of you stuck it out this long. I now only pop back every few months to see if it's officially dead yet and it's looking very much like that will happen pretty soon.

TidalPhoenix

The Last of Us
Staff member
Dec 16, 2006
AJe!!!!!!!!!! WOOO! I remember when you took over Admin. A damn fine one you were too. Yup, it's often just me and the spambots here nowadays lol

I'll stick around until the PS5 launches and then if it remains dead I'll call it a day

Jan 17, 2007
Canada, Toronto
www.youtube.com
I joined psu in 2007 when PS3 was released. I remember the forum was full of topics and I personally loved the old design and features the forum had specially those gaming icons. I think it's every where dead even at syphon filter central forum barely you see people. I think people didn't like much this generation of consoles and I'm one of them. Even my friends said that and we been playing games for very long time. I loved my PS3 and enjoyed playing games on my PS3 10,000 times more than PS4. I also couldn't wait until Thursday when Sony used to update the PSN online store. The PSN online store had the old great design everything were organized in categories and not stupid mixed pages and ugly looking like the PS4 have which it makes me sick and don't want to look at the store and barely want to spend a 1 dollar.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
I joined psu in 2007 when PS3 was released. I remember the forum was full of topics and I personally loved the old design and features the forum had specially those gaming icons. I think it's every where dead even at syphon filter central forum barely you see people. I think people didn't like much this generation of consoles and I'm one of them. Even my friends said that and we been playing games for very long time. I loved my PS3 and enjoyed playing games on my PS3 10,000 times more than PS4. I also couldn't wait until Thursday when Sony used to update the PSN online store. The PSN online store had the old great design everything were organized in categories and not stupid mixed pages and ugly looking like the PS4 have which it makes me sick and don't want to look at the store and barely want to spend a 1 dollar.
aside from me disagree with you almost %100 on the complains about psn store, that's no where near revelant about forums being dead. Reddit took all over this forum folks, as a lol player I used reddit and discord, they are all I need. They are not places to get to meet new guys tho. The friends I got from here are priceless.

Jan 17, 2007
Canada, Toronto
www.youtube.com
aside from me disagree with you almost %100 on the complains about psn store, that's no where near revelant about forums being dead. Reddit took all over this forum folks, as a lol player I used reddit and discord, they are all I need. They are not places to get to meet new guys tho. The friends I got from here are priceless.
Nah, the old store was way better looking and easy to brows. Everybody said that and I only see you disagree. The forums are most likely dead means no activities like before. As I said above and even the poster mentioned that. There used to be lot's of new topics or people visiting but now you see it's to slow. I go to few websites and it's like here. About Reddit forum I never been there nor I used their website so I don't know if people are leaving from here going there I don't know why they would do that.

Kopkiwi

Power Member
May 11, 2007
Been here for 13 years. The first 3-4 years were great, thousands of people and posts every day, the Aussie members thread, the post your setup. Requesting a dope as shit sig from the insanely talented artists, the Liverpool thread. It was always busy, some of us still communicate via our WhatsApp group and some I am still friends with on Facebook and Insta. But this place died in 2012/2013. Creating a new site will be fruitless, everything and everyone just uses Reddit sadly.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Yeah other than a few games such as Persona 5,Trails Of Cold Steel series,Ys 8,Yakuza 0 and Nier Automata on PS4 as well as a couple of others.

I liked the PS3 Sony Exclusives more if you don't count the remasters as well as free online and no use of using your real name on the dashbboard. I also liked the old store they just needed to do a few more things with it.

I liked the idea of remasters back in PS3 era since they PS2 games. I didn't like them remastering PS3/Xbox360 games instead this generation. That was one thing I dislike. Despite that I'm glad they brought back Crash and Spyro.

Oct 18, 2006
I joined this community in 2007. I was 27 years old and forums were at their peak. This place had hundreds of members online at the same time and it was so much fun chatting, arguing, and complimenting forum members. Fun contests and my daily hot chick threads will always be something I enjoyed doing.

Sadly those hundreds of members I enjoyed talking with will most likely never read this and it is unfortunate. It is time to call it quits.
I may be starting up another forum later this year. I will let you know. If I do, it will be well funded. This place is indeed dead AF and there really isn't much of a point coming here. The owners do not give a flying hoot owl's ass about this place and they haven't for many years. I'm glad their front page is doing well ... but there wouldn't even be a front page if it wasn't for the forums. The forums are what made this site blow up. We had to keep updating the servers because there was simply too much traffic from member activity. I remember when the original owners bought the PSU.com domain name for $50,000. I've been here since literally the beginning (2004). I was the one of the first of three moderators this place ever had. So yeah ... I'm sad to see this place being the graveyard that it is. I fully understand you calling it quits. Coming here is simply depressing, lol.
I do poke my head in every now and then to check in (been here since 2006), but since the forum has pretty much grinded to a halt I haven't been on here much either. I hope this place picks up again because I would love to come back and talk more with everyone, this was a great play for discussing EVERYTHING gaming related and I do miss it dearly! I am mainly over at GAF now (I have noticed several other old PSU members there too), but I do plan to check in here once a month or so! All the forum members here were amazing and all the MODS always did a wonderful job!

Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
It's not just this forum. It's forums in general. The only forums still going strong are those forums that turn up on google when you have a tech problem that say "We already answered this, no we won't link you to it, Google it."

I''m pretty sure Web forums are getting phased out in favor of Reddit. Other than said circle-* cough * "help" forums that never actually offer any help.

Anyone know why my avatar disappeared, by any chance? It wasn't all that meaningful to me (I had another one on other forums I liked better) but still.

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
I guess I was just too arrogant when I became CM to think I could make a difference, but reality set me straight. I have "Community and Technical Manager" in my title (and can't change for some reason), but I'm neither in reality anymore. There is no community to manage and the technical aspects are no longer in my control.

Forums everywhere used to be so lively and fresh with people, but now it just doesn't work that way. I really don't think "owners" mattered much overall. The internet just moved elsewhere.

Lethal said it a long time ago that we needed younger members. Younger members are not looking for places of discussion. They have it every day on their phones with a variety of apps and communities. Forums simply cannot compete. If we suddenly had an influx of new young members, I'm not sure we would like it, to be honest.

Last edited:

$Greatness$

Master Poster
Sep 4, 2009
Baltimore, MD
I guess I was just too arrogant when I became CM to think I could make a difference, but reality set me straight. I have "Community and Technical Manager" in my title (and can't change for some reason), but I'm neither in reality anymore. There is no community to manager and the technical aspects are no longer in my control.

Forums everywhere used to be so lively and fresh with people, but now it just doesn't work that way. I really don't think "owners" mattered much overall. The internet just moved elsewhere.

Lethal said it a long time ago that we needed younger members. Younger members are not looking for places of discussion. They have it every day on their phones with a variety of apps and communities. Forums simply cannot compete. If we suddenly had an influx of new young members, I'm not sure we would like it, to be honest.
Yeah, it just seems forums are slowly fazing out. Kids today love their reddit and twitter. Discord is becoming the popular choice as well, but nothing will ever beat a forum for me. But like all things I love, time fades them away. Forums, gaming and even people are no exception to it.

*Wipes tear*

Noxia

Forum Sage
Dec 21, 2008
England
I recognise a lot of names here. I fondly remember the NFL thread regs taking me under their wing to help me understand the game better.

There was that weird guy Jaeger, can't recall what he did but something was very wrong. Then there was the split when PlayStation University branched off but I think that died too. I have the worst nostalgia sometimes for this forum back in those days, it was really good.

TidalPhoenix

The Last of Us
Staff member
Dec 16, 2006
Bunch of us moved to a whatsapp group 3-4 years ago.
Problem with WhatsApp is that it's only those you invite, you don't really get new members who stumble along, join the community and become great members. You also have to give your phone number in order to be added - who wants to do that?! Imagine if there was some big blow out and two members started going at each other (this is gaming after all), each having the other's phone number too....yeah..not ideal.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
Problem with WhatsApp is that it's only those you invite, you don't really get new members who stumble along, join the community and become great members. You also have to give your phone number in order to be added - who wants to do that?! Imagine if there was some big blow out and two members started going at each other (this is gaming after all), each having the other's phone number too....yeah..not ideal.
Who wants to new people, no one will be cooler than our old boys.

Kopkiwi

Power Member
May 11, 2007
New people? lol, feck no. Old School only. We been going for a good few years, many arguments, no issues. Tight-nit people I consider mates.

Sep 17, 2005

I remember those days. I was part of the initial crew with Kieran and Seb, merging PS3Land and PS3portal to form PSU.com. The website and forums were booming back then. Not sure what happened. I know the original owners went on to launch Playfire, but over the years PSU.com has slowly dwindled. I think you can still find some of my old articles under Justin Pinter, but I've long since lost my old forum username.

May 26, 2005
Also enjoyed my time here. Joined in May 2005, (Wow...15 years!) I remember I even got some kind of moderator privileges on the Xbox forums, being an Xbox fan on a PS Forums... lol. I also remember being banned for saying that DMC looked better on Xbox 360 compared to PS3, I guess just because I posted on the PS section, which I was prohibited to write on (wtf). Probably those who did it, if they check back on that post, would realize how stupid that ban was... I probably deserved it for other reasons way before that haha.

Sadly, I think that was one of the reasons the forums went down. I mean, everyone thinking different was banned (and I believe the ones pushing this called it a "victory") and I guess there was no "fun" anymore being a place where everyone praised Sony unanimously. Also, Xbox One was a major fail, so it was a walk in the park for Sony. Now, all these people have grown up and the transition to new member was cut from its roots.

Lots of things must've happened afterwards, but I think that was the beginning of the end.

Said this, I have good memories from PSforums (now PSU). Even made a handful of friends on Xbox Live and in real life, who I don't have contact with anymore though. It was honestly very fun for me to have those arguments, come with Xbox news and debate with some salty PS fans. Now I have a wife, 2 kids... fortunately I still have a job (given the global situation) took singing lessons and now I'm also a wedding singer... actually, I own that small business and I plan to boost it after Covid... though I think there will be more divorces than marriages in the short term :D

I'm still a nerd though... because of the quarantine in my country, I decided to renew some tech at home, so now I have an OLED TV, New PC (RTX 2080 Super) with new "cool RGB, Tempered Glass, 360 liquid cooler" case coming this week... got a PS4 Pro and an Xbox One X. However, I'm not using the consoles anymore, as my daughter has taken ownership of the Xbox (to play Roblox and Minecraft lol) and only use the PS4 to play FIFA with my son (who also has a PS4 at home)... I was planning to preserve the PS4 for TLOU2 and GOT but I've just decided to wait for PS5 in order to play the best version of those games... just like I did with FFVII Remake (saving it for Series X). Cyberpunk 2077 will be on PC this time around (hence the PC overhaul), until I can get my hands on a Series X. I'm currently finishing Sekiro after I totally failed at enjoying a game like Nier Automata (gave it 10 hours+!)

I know it could sound a bit superficial to talk about all this in the middle of the global situation but found out, games can be a refugee as time passes by and we approach a possible cure or vacuum. Reality over here is quite depressing. My wife has lost 4 (distant) relatives, have a few friends also losing loved ones and I'm currently confined in a separated room as I got some lung condition that puts me at risk if I get Covid. Hope I'll be able to be writing here next year, when storm hopefully calms down. In the meantime, gaming (or gaming news) have my mind occupied.

Edit: BTW... I believe the new generation is debating mostly on Youtuber's channels. That's were all the meat is at now I think.

Last edited:

TidalPhoenix

The Last of Us
Staff member
Dec 16, 2006
I know it could sound a bit superficial to talk about all this in the middle of the global situation but found out, games can be a refugee as time passes by and we approach a possible cure or vacuum. Reality over here is quite depressing. My wife has lost 4 (distant) relatives, have a few friends also losing loved ones and I'm currently confined in a separated room as I got some lung condition that puts me at risk if I get Covid.
Really sorry to hear about the losses on your wife's side. As for you, make sure you still safe and healthy so you can come back and be all polarising again matey :D