2 PS3's broken in the same way - has anyone else had this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 16, 2008
Hi.
I'm very very annoyed. My 2nd PS3 has just broken in the exact same way the 1st did. The 1st one's laser went then a week later the problem I'm about to describe, which just happened on the replacement as well.

So there was no indication of anything going wrong on either until I tried to start the PS3 up. My video output is an HDMI monitor which says "Input out of range" when it's anything other than setup perfectly, and on this particular time of starting up, it gave this error message. However, through my surround sound I could hear the PS3 start up sound (the soft kind of fade in/out noise it makes), and then by using the d-pad on the controller and listening to the clicks, I could work out I was in some kind of limited option screen with only two options, which obviously I couldn't see. I choose one (think the right hand of the two), and then nothing. I restarted, the same thing happens, exactly the same, then nothing again. Restarted again, now I don't get anything at all - not even the sounds or the clicks, although it will recognise the controllers.

I don't think the PS3 is broken, but maybe it asked me for some settings or something which I couldn't see, and now they're not set properly, I have no output.

Is there anyway to reset these settings or wipe the hard disk so they're reset? Has anyone else had this problem, or even the PS3 starting up to a different option screen unexpectantly?

Would be very very grateful if anyone can help me out on this one. It's an incredibly frustrating situation. +rep for any helpful suggestions!!!

grcswoosh

Master Poster
Oct 5, 2007
SoCal
It could be incompatible with that monitor.

Plug it in to a regular tv, use the composite cables(red/yellow/white) if you have to. You can hold the power button down until the PS3 beeps 3 times to reset the video settings.

Jan 16, 2008
Well it is compatible with that monitor because I've had it working with that monitor and this surround system for the last fortnight, now both aren't receiving anything from the ps3. Does the ps3 do the beeping for video resetting, or does it output to the surround sound? It doesn't beep when I hold it down at the moment.

Ambassador

Dedicated Member
Aug 27, 2007
[QUOTE="deanosrs, post: 0]Hi.
I'm very very annoyed. My 2nd PS3 has just broken in the exact same way the 1st did. The 1st one's laser went then a week later the problem I'm about to describe, which just happened on the replacement as well.

So there was no indication of anything going wrong on either until I tried to start the PS3 up. My video output is an HDMI monitor which says "Input out of range" when it's anything other than setup perfectly, and on this particular time of starting up, it gave this error message. However, through my surround sound I could hear the PS3 start up sound (the soft kind of fade in/out noise it makes), and then by using the d-pad on the controller and listening to the clicks, I could work out I was in some kind of limited option screen with only two options, which obviously I couldn't see. I choose one (think the right hand of the two), and then nothing. I restarted, the same thing happens, exactly the same, then nothing again. Restarted again, now I don't get anything at all - not even the sounds or the clicks, although it will recognise the controllers.

I don't think the PS3 is broken, but maybe it asked me for some settings or something which I couldn't see, and now they're not set properly, I have no output.

Is there anyway to reset these settings or wipe the hard disk so they're reset? Has anyone else had this problem, or even the PS3 starting up to a different option screen unexpectantly?

Would be very very grateful if anyone can help me out on this one. It's an incredibly frustrating situation. +rep for any helpful suggestions!!![/quote]
As far as I know, you turn off your PS3. With it off, press and hold the power button until it beeps a few times. It should reset your output settings I believe.

EDIT:
Just saw your second post. So you've done the above and get no beeps? I wonder wtf could be causing it? Have you had any storms lately, or electrical interference? Do these output devices work on other devices?

Mar 11, 2008
I would suggest holding down the power button like suggested above until it beeps to reset your video settings. Other than that i'm not sure what to recommend?

FantasyStar

Dedicated Member
Oct 20, 2006
It could be that the HDMI cable is fried. It's rare-but hey! anything goes...

before you conclude the output is fried, try using the basic A/V Composite cables that came with the PS3 and see if you can get an output on that. Remember to hold the power button and wait for the beeps because you need to reset it.

Jan 24, 2006
img331.imageshack.us
[QUOTE="deanosrs, post: 0]Well it is compatible with that monitor because I've had it working with that monitor and this surround system for the last fortnight, now both aren't receiving anything from the ps3. Does the ps3 do the beeping for video resetting, or does it output to the surround sound? It doesn't beep when I hold it down at the moment.[/QUOTE]

Its a replacement ps3 you recieved so my guess is it still set up with factory defaults meaning you need to hook it up with composite cables then go in and change the output to HDMI.And to reset your ps3 you power it off then turn it on holding the button until you hear the beeps not the other way around.

Jan 16, 2008
I sorted it... the system update had managed to reset my video settings or something, and had put them back to composite. Had to pop next door to find a tv with a scart plug! Very presumptuous of sony to assume that everyone has access to a scart in tv... Thanks for all the help guys, the 3 beeps came eventually!

ToAks

Dedicated Member
Jul 10, 2007
www.push-entertainment.com
huh?, Sony don't ship scart cables with their PS3's, just like they never did with PS2 either.

All they have is a scart connector that you attach to the composite+audio cables, just remove the scart box and plug the yellow cable in to get a picture if you havent got a scart slot.

anyway i agree with you that its crap that PS3 doesnt auto detect that the HDMI cable is inserted etc (ie Plug and play).

As for the 3 beeps on power down, well the thing is, you have to do it ON the console it self (on the touch sensitive buttons) and not via remote or joypad.
(if that either won't work then, hmm... then i don't know :()

cheers

old_school_gamer

Superior Member
Nov 8, 2006
[QUOTE="ToAks, post: 0]anyway i agree with you that its crap that PS3 doesnt auto detect that the HDMI cable is inserted etc (ie Plug and play).[/quote]

I have a 40gb system, and my PS3 detected my HDMI connection right out of the box. I didn't have to do anything, since the system automatically detected the resolutions and the input method.

M

murphANDderl

[QUOTE="ToAks, post: 0]huh?, Sony don't ship scart cables with their PS3's, just like they never did with PS2 either.

All they have is a scart connector that you attach to the composite+audio cables, just remove the scart box and plug the yellow cable in to get a picture if you havent got a scart slot.

anyway i agree with you that its crap that PS3 doesnt auto detect that the HDMI cable is inserted etc (ie Plug and play).

As for the 3 beeps on power down, well the thing is, you have to do it ON the console it self (on the touch sensitive buttons) and not via remote or joypad.
(if that either won't work then, hmm... then i don't know :()

cheers[/quote]

my ps3 auto detects hdmi and it ask me if i want to use it, then it sets up top the best resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.