2015 to see "Aggressive investment" in Playstation business.

Aug 22, 2006
Alone in the Cold
[QUOTE="Bitbydeath, post: 6442282]They should aggressively get Kojima Productions and the Silent Hill IP.[/QUOTE]

Why just Silent Hill? Konami owns a lot of great IPs

-Metal Gear
-Silent Hill
-Zone of the Enders
-Castlevania
-Contra
-Adventure Island
-Gradius
-Dance Dance Revolution
-Suikoden
-Pro Evolution Soccer

Bitbydeath

Power Member
Sep 10, 2005
[QUOTE="HellsJester, post: 6442284]Why just Silent Hill? Konami owns a lot of great IPs

-Metal Gear
-Silent Hill
-Zone of the Enders
-Castlevania
-Contra
-Adventure Island
-Gradius
-Dance Dance Revolution
-Suikoden
-Pro Evolution Soccer[/QUOTE]

True, get Kojima Pro and whatever IP they want to continue working on.

Ixion

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
New York
[QUOTE="HellsJester, post: 6442284]Why just Silent Hill? Konami owns a lot of great IPs

-Metal Gear
-Silent Hill
-Zone of the Enders
-Castlevania
-Contra
-Adventure Island
-Gradius
-Dance Dance Revolution
-Suikoden
-Pro Evolution Soccer[/QUOTE]

Thing is, Sony has been focusing so much on cutting the fat and getting lean and mean. They may feel that purchasing a sinking company brings too much baggage.

If we're just talking about the employment of Kojima and his staff as a new developer under SCE, then fuck yeah.

Lefein

Ultimate Veteran
Jun 9, 2005
[QUOTE="IWAO, post: 6442293]Damn this got me excited! :)[/QUOTE]
Awesome! I was starting to worry there. As far as Kojima, we'll probably have to wait and see what happens at E3. Someone ought to go to his Twitter and ask him if he'll be at E3. That would make things VERY interesting and I'm surprised no one has yet.

I bet if they played this song while the room was dark and gently illuminate him on stage as an introduction, the whole world would implode from the feels, though.
[video]https://youtu.be/HlmoDCeu4bY[/video]

Last edited:

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="Ixion, post: 6442302]Thing is, Sony has been focusing so much on cutting the fat and getting lean and mean. They may feel that purchasing a sinking company brings too much baggage.

If we're just talking about the employment of Kojima and his staff as a new developer under SCE, then fuck yeah.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, no need to buy a company. Just get Kojima. Tell him he can form his own team and give him complete freedom. Man, I would be ecstatic to see Kojima working in his own Sony studio.

Dec 20, 2006
If they are investing in something, then invest in acquiring some new studios.

From Software would be a nice start. If that's possible.

HellsJester

Master Sage
Aug 22, 2006
Alone in the Cold
[QUOTE="RedOrb_Collector, post: 6442314]If they are investing in something, then invest in acquiring some new studios.

From Software would be a nice start. If that's possible.[/QUOTE]

That would piss off a lot of Souls fans on PC and Xbox but we would get Souls, King's Field, Armored Core, and Tenchu exclusive to Playstation.

Dec 20, 2006
[QUOTE="Lefein, post: 6442480]So, no one wants to speculate as to what this unannounced hardware is?[/QUOTE]

Probably another peripheral, and Sony's peripherals are very half-assed.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
as long as they don't invest to any timed bullshit, I am happy about that investment. Konami would be an awesome, great titles there like HJ said.

Dec 20, 2006
Konami itself is whatever. Konami can keep whatever non-gaming business endeavors they have.

Getting some of their gaming IPs would be nice though.

MGS, Castlevania, Zone of the Enders, Bloody Roar, Silent Hill.

Also...I HOPE the unannounced hardware isn't a new god damn handheld. That would be worse than a new peripheral.

Fuck handhelds. Mobile gaming has taken that pie.

Shockwave

PSU Editor
Nov 11, 2007
Ireland
Makes a lot of sense and frankly it was anticipated given how poorly Sony's other divisions outside of gaming are doing. May as well ride the train that's making the most money!

MacP

Veteran
Jun 27, 2008
[QUOTE="RedOrb_Collector, post: 6442499]

$#@! handhelds. Mobile gaming has taken that pie.[/QUOTE]
I agree with you 100% there.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="Two4DaMoney, post: 6442482]I'll believe this stuff when it happens.[/QUOTE]

About how I feel. This gen has been bleak so far with the lack of games. So hopefully they remain true to their word.

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
My gut tells me that the powers-that-be wanted to see PS4 consistently do well before investing a lot of money into it. Backwards ass thinking. But it is obvious now that PlayStation is Sony's cash cow. Investors don't mind their companies investing in winning products.

Dec 20, 2006
[QUOTE="PS4freak, post: 6442693]About how I feel. This gen has been bleak so far with the lack of games. So hopefully they remain true to their word.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, lukewarm reception, delays, lack of first party exclusives.

I will say that Bloodborne is better than anything the PS3 got in the same time frame, but everything else is worse.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="RedOrb_Collector, post: 6442696]Yeah, lukewarm reception, delays, lack of first party exclusives.

I will say that Bloodborne is better than anything the PS3 got in the same time frame, but everything else is worse.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the quality is there just not the quantity. I haven't played Bloodborne but the following around it must be for something. But not only is it first party it's 3rd too. I mean Project Cars, The Division, TW 3 just to name a few. Not to mention many games that were revealed that you haven't heard a peep from. Notable franchises are missing too. I know it's early in the gen but this just tells me they were not ready for these systems.

Also the remasters piss me off to no end. It's like they think they are doing you a favor for giving you a slightly more polished game that just released no more than two years ago. It's good for people who didn't play them before but it's a kick in the teeth to the ones that have and don't have any interest in playing them again. They played this hand and knew it would work. There is not much coming out so fill it with remasters and make it look like games are coming out. While taking away BC so you can do this. It's all a little too convenient.

Lefein

Ultimate Veteran
Jun 9, 2005
[QUOTE="RedOrb_Collector, post: 6442497]Probably another peripheral, and Sony's peripherals are very half-assed.[/QUOTE]
I think it will be PS4 Slim.
Sony will flush remaining "fats" at a $300 pricepoint and the slim will start at $350.

Bigdoggy

Master Guru
Jan 24, 2008
[QUOTE="Ixion, post: 6442302]Thing is, Sony has been focusing so much on cutting the fat and getting lean and mean. They may feel that purchasing a sinking company brings too much baggage.

If we're just talking about the employment of Kojima and his staff as a new developer under SCE, then $#@! yeah.[/QUOTE]

I think Sony would fight to get a hold of Kojima and let him make any game he see's fit, but at the same time bring some good old games back from the dead.

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
The original article was updated. Not sure if everyone saw.

Update: during the following conference call for overseas investors and analysts, Yoshida-san gave more information on this, mentioning that the investment in research and development for the game segment in fiscal year 2014 was 89 billion yen, and Sony is expecting a “double digit expansion” of that number for both hardware and software in fiscal year 2015.

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
Wow, the calm before the storm. Guess that's how you roll when you have the fastest ever selling console.

Sent from my GT-I9000

Bigdoggy

Master Guru
Jan 24, 2008
With such an aggressive investment can be anything, I would almost like to think they have something going on with Kojima and we won't find out until E3, I think there is going to be something that can be considered a "megaton".