2D or not 2D

Jan 13, 2006
United States
Wouldn't it be great if some of the companies brought back some 2D fighters.

Capcom and Konami have a ton of franchies they could revive.

Think of a 2D fighter rendered in high definition. It would be like watching a living painting. I'm sure there are plenty of techniques that devs could use to make astonishing looking 2D fighters.

I would even take some quasi 2D/3D fighters with Cel shaded graphics.

Can you imagine a new 1080p Samurai Showdown. :shock:

Discuss.

Uncool

Power Member
Aug 27, 2006
[QUOTE="Kauldron, post: 0]Wouldn't it be great if some of the companies brought back some 2D fighters.

Capcom and Konami have a ton of franchies they could revive.

Think of a 2D fighter rendered in high definition. It would be like watching a living painting. I'm sure there are plenty of techniques that devs could use to make astonishing looking 2D fighters.

I would even take some quasi 2D/3D fighters with Cel shaded graphics.

Can you imagine a new 1080p Samurai Showdown. :shock:

Discuss.[/quote]
Well there are many games that aren't relatively HD quality but judging from their sprites and artwork, you would think so:

[reveal]
Guitly Gear Accent Core (1) and Reload (2):

Melty Blood (small)

Hokuto no Shinken:

Battle Fantasia:

[/reveal]

Sajuuk Khar

Dedicated Member
May 26, 2005
1080p would be a great res to have these at. The charm of the 2d i think is in the massively over the top effects for the moves.

me voted yes :)

QuickSilverD

Dedicated Member
Aug 14, 2006
2D fighting games? only as downloadable content, but not saling then as if they were "new games" for 60 bucks each, after all is been a while since fighting games brought innovation, with these next-gen proccesors we should be able to start seeing more deep and complex fighting games, games where phisics and where you hit your opponent actually plays a big role in the game.

The problem with 2D fighting game is that there is not so much more that they can offert, but I would mind downloading to my HDD to play