3D display for Revolution?

Cedric

Apprentice
Mar 15, 2005
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php?id=117781

REVOLUTION GOES 3D?

Ride the Revolution rumour merry-go-round with us as we address wireless controllers, touchscreens... and 3D displays?

12:50 The Revolution rumour mill is ramping up again. The latest landslide of speculation tumbling off the interent revisits the familiar wireless, tilt-sensitve and touchscreen controller issue but adds a meaty new morsel to the mix(ed metaphor): 3D projection.

That's right, the latest interpretation of Revolution's revolution is that in-game characters and objects will appear to be jumping right out of the screen at you, in the same way as those cheesy old movies that made you wear those stupid red-and-green lensed glasses.

This new spurt of speculation comes hot and sticky from the weblog of one Brooke Burgess, and ex-producer at EA's Canada office and well-connected industry bloodhound. Yesterday he posted everything he's heard about Nintendo's next-gen console and the killer nugget was this 3D functionality.

Turns out Burgess has spoken to a few insiders, one of which was told by movie industry executives that a forthcoming games console would include 3D projection, and another who told him that Nintendo demoed a 3D projection add-on for the GameCube at last year's E3.

Coincidence? Or evidence that The Revolution will be pushing games right into your face? Well, Burgess himself prefaces his post with a disclaimer stating that the info is "SPECULATION and EXTRAPOLATION based upon available information and industry connections. Please do not take what's written below as FACT or GOSPEL."

Hopeful of having the whole issue thrashed out for us by Nintendo itself we got in contact. "Nintendo has made no announcements regarding the features of its next-generation console, but details will be revealed in some form at next month's E3."

And what about Burgess' ideas of the Revolution's revolution? "Nintendo cannot comment on internet rumour and speculation."

Nonetheless, the combination of Burgess' experience in the industry, his contacts, and the circumstantial evidence do lend his thoughts some weight. As ever, it looks like we'll have to wait until Nintendo pull the covers off on May 17 to know for sure.

For the record, Burgess nigh-on confirmed that the Revolution would feature wireless gyroscopic controllers, but noted that several developers were unsure about using the feature for games.

He also suggested that a touchscreen controller - possibly in the shape of a removable PDA-style device - could make an appearance.

Finally, he mused on the Revolution's additional wireless features, suggesting that heavyweight data transfer would be possible. This seems increasingly likely given Nintendo's recent tie-up with US wireless provider Broadcom and the planned unveiling of Nintendo Online at E3.
I dont know about all of you but that would be awesome if they did that. I think it would get much more people to buy the console.

Makaveli_786

Dedicated Member
Jun 14, 2004
Yeah I like the idea but I wonder how they'll pull it off, will it be a 3D joypad or 3D glasses or what, I doubt they can pull it off on a normal TV.

PS Gamer

Elite Member
Mar 1, 2005
www.ps3land.com
There is no way to make a 3D image coming at you unless you made the console do something to the users eyes, which is pretty much a no no. The other way is we wear goofy glasses.....yep they are that goofy....:lol:

Anyway, we MIGHT see at E3, word is that Nintendo won't show anything on it...

Cedric

Apprentice
Mar 15, 2005
It could be a projection type thing, and it basically says in the article it wont have anything to do with goofy glasses. Im looking forward to what they will show.

Makaveli_786

Dedicated Member
Jun 14, 2004
You need a specially modified monitor to pull off perfect 3D projection and even then its pretty difficult, a 1600x1200 image at 32 bit with 85Hz refresh rate would take up 652MBPs and thats for a 2D image, a 3D image is a whole other matter or you can use a parallax barrier which shows pixel images at seperate regions of the screen so that the each eye sees a different image, that would be the feasible way of doing it but requires a special display with two TFT screens, I don't know how they'll pull it off but if they do it will be very interesting.

coltde420

Apprentice
Feb 26, 2005
Its going to be like a virtual boy from back in the day that failed so horribly.

Maybe Hologram? Now that would be cool...
That would be crazy it would be like that time traveler game that was around a while ago.