GENERAL 4 Minutes of Anthem Open World Gameplay

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007

It looks really nice.... but i don't really know what the deal is.

Like TLoU2 trailer, even if you had no prior knowledge of TLoU, you knew humanity was in the shitter. They are talking about this world in this demo, using lots of jargon, and saying we'll learn more, but is the story so paper thin they can't provide even a semblance of backstory up-front?

What's a Scar? What's a Relic? Why do we don metal flying suits? The suit voice, is that simulating another player or is the parallel to Iron mans Jarvis intended? There are more British accents than just the one used by Paul Bettany!

Not gunna lie, this still seems like everything that was wrong with Dragonage Inquisition. Design by committee kinda sucks.

I still have some faith in Biowares story telling prowess, i'll just chalk this up as EA garbage marketing team not knowing how to market something if it can't skew it as gambling...

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010

It looks really nice.... but i don't really know what the deal is.

Like TLoU2 trailer, even if you had no prior knowledge of TLoU, you knew humanity was in the shitter. They are talking about this world in this demo, using lots of jargon, and saying we'll learn more, but is the story so paper thin they can't provide even a semblance of backstory up-front?

What's a Scar? What's a Relic? Why do we don metal flying suits? The suit voice, is that simulating another player or is the parallel to Iron mans Jarvis intended? There are more British accents than just the one used by Paul Bettany!

Not gunna lie, this still seems like everything that was wrong with Dragonage Inquisition. Design by committee kinda sucks.

I still have some faith in Biowares story telling prowess, i'll just chalk this up as EA garbage marketing team not knowing how to market something if it can't skew it as gambling...
This game is still a ways off, but the AI is almost Destiny like in how dumb they are in this limited showing.

Jun 4, 2007
Game is online only
[*]No loot boxes.
[*]Potentially one game for the series. Mapped out to be a service.
[*]30 FPS on consoles. Uncapped on PC.
[*]Voiced human playable character.
[*]No recruitable party members. Game will be harder to play solo.
[*]All stats are based in the suits. No reason to make new characters.
[*]Microtransactions are cosmetic only "forever".
[*]Can't customize character after initial creation (at launch).
[*]World is not gated. One large open world.
[*]TBA on cross-platform play.
[*]No plans for Switch.
[*]No PVP.
[*]Dialogue trees are in the game but are simpler than previous implementations.
[*]There is a height limit in the game for flight.
[*]Can't steal loot.
[*]Story is less Sci-Fi focused than Mass Effect.
[*]At any point you can enter "Hover Mode" with a button press.
[*]Gender will have a minor design differences for lighter suits but won't for heavy ones.
[*]Tutorial is based on the Ranger suit. Halfway through the critical path you will gain access to all 4 suits.
[*]GI Impressions point to the story being divided up into two components. FPS exploration of the city (think Normandy or Skyhold) where you talk with NPCs and make choices (this area is single player only). Rest of the story being events in the shared co-op world.
[*]More focus on unique personalities and interactions for NPCs. Think of the events with your crew in the ME3 Citadel DLC.
[*]Bioware wants to alleviate frustrations folk have with co-op games.
[*]You will fight that Spider boss seen in the EA demo multiple times. Either for loot or through reuse in latter missions, GI staff wasn't sure.
Source
Im not really feeling some of the expected features they left out. It's almost as if they're holding back on purpose.

I didn't like how they spliced the demo. They should have played a whole mission instead. That came off as if they were pitching gameplay to get a publisher to fund the game.

Last edited:

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
So i guess the "online only" kinda gives away why they don't really offer anything story-wise as there's probably not much to offer.

Outside that... it kinda sounds a bit like Warframe

KungMartin90

Dedicated Member
Sep 6, 2012
Uppsala, Sweden
I actually think this game has lots of potential. Looks like it could be a lot of fun to play with friends. I'm really digging the aspect of having your own customized suit and the team playing. And the flying looks like so much fun.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
Do you guys think no PvP will hurt this game? Destiny and The Division has PvP that helped out.
Warframe was entirely PvE, and they're coming up on 6 years. If done right, there's no reason it can't work.

They added a PvP mode at a later date but to say it's not awesome would be quite kind. Anthem could do the same.

Additionally, the lack of PvP is attributed to the Warframe community not being filled with entitled swine, and colossal dickheads. So that's always a bonus!