50 million PSP's sold!

carocat

Community Manager
May 25, 2006
carocat.co.uk
The PSP has reached a big milestone in its four year life, by clearing more than 50 million units sold worldwide, Sony has trumpeted.

The handled launched in Japan back in December, 2004, with a Western launch arriving the following year on March 24, 2005 in North America and September 1 in Europe and PAL regions.

The portable's been criticised for its lack of big first-party releases of late, but Sony points out that more than 2,000 UMD titles are now available worldwide, with software sell-in units reaching 200 million to date.

And apparently, it's not forgotten about the future either: "SCE will vigorously promote the expansion of the PSP platform and offer a variety of interactive digital entertainment," it said in a statement.

Just don't make it any slimmer - we've got enough of the things already.

Yesterday we reported that the UK PSP manager said expects new new IPs for the handheld in '09. "This year we are also launching a host of significant PlayStation IPs on the PSP platform."
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=208211?cid&skip=yes

Curious as it mentions UMD titles, do you guys buy them much?

rockousaf

Dedicated Member
Mar 26, 2007
The psp has done very well in a market previously owned by nintendo, and put up numbers similar to the PS2. I do buy the big first party games on umd I usually dont have time for any others. I am planning to buy Locoroco 2, patapon 2, and resistance retribution so far this year, we'll see what else good comes out.

mickice

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 8, 2006
Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
I have almost 20 PSP games and there's about 5 Square Enix games coming.

Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep is gonna be ace!

[QUOTE="Chimeran Killer, post: 0]I really want a PSP for the RPGs.[/quote]

Yea, right now PSP is getting some of the best RPG's of all time.

Mar 11, 2007
I often buy them. There are no compelling titles at this moment.
Retribution is going to be my next purchase if I get the chance to go to a game shop.

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
I'm playing Suikoden 1 right now :] Such a great game, and so awesome I can play it on a handheld.

zeon9881

Forum Elder
Jul 7, 2007
you know it was my Birthday 2 days ago and i got 100$ from my Parents,sister. So was thinking about buying PSP but its still $160+

Atari

Apprentice
Sep 20, 2007
Not to be a too much of a downer but, 200 million games divided by 50 million units is only 4 games per PSP. No wonder developers don't want to support it.

zeon9881

Forum Elder
Jul 7, 2007
[QUOTE="Atari, post: 0]Not to be a too much of a downer but, 200 million games divided by 50 million units is only 4 games per PSP. No wonder developers don't want to support it.[/quote]

Yea but your forgetting the fact that its not 200million games sold, its how much money they made from selling those games, or am i wrong because 200 million just sounds like a money number not a games number

Saix7

Superior Member
May 5, 2007
Well what do you expect, Japan is really marketing the PSP.... Plus there are so many games to look forward to in the future... I mean so many RPG's and that's what gets the sales and the PSP sells like crazy!!

dori-KIN

Apprentice
May 22, 2007
this news is great and all, but i just got my son his psp on january and now its dead. called up sony about it so hopefully they could help me out with this. yeah, so 50 million sold but minus 1 (that i know off...my sons'). lol

DarkVincent07

Trying not to break stuff...
Mar 4, 2008
Sydney
50 million, not too shabby!

As for UMD's yeah, i buy them, only have 4 atm, but then again i onyl got my PSP a month ago, i plan to buy many more! Digital Distribution FTL

mickice

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 8, 2006
Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
[QUOTE="DarkVincent07, post: 0]50 million, not too shabby!

As for UMD's yeah, i buy them, only have 4 atm, but then again i onyl got my PSP a month ago, i plan to buy many more! Digital Distribution FTL[/quote]

Can't wait to see Nintendo's next hand held, there's some stiff competition now. ;)

Dec 30, 2007
www.triplechat.com
Bought three PSP's in my household: my launch PSP, my brother's PSP, and then the one my brother bought for me after mine got "missing" (stolen).

Anyways, 50 million down, lets look forward to 50 million more! (I hope...:p).

S

saso_7

yea the psp is a great handheld (i own two, ice silver & piano black 2000 series) its so much more than just a gaming device, i have movies, games, music, photos on my psp...you really begin to appreciate it when you use it for all of it multimedia capabilities...apart from games, i love having movies on the go.

honestly i'm in no rush to see a psp2, i think their is so much more that developers can do with the system if they invest their time & money. also their's a slew of psp games coming our way...prinny can i really be the hero? Resistance Retribution, patapon 2, FF Dissidia, KH BBS & hopefully many more.

honestly i'd love to see that rumoured LBP & motorstorm psp titles, as well as an uncharted psp title...that would be awesome.

ash91

Super Elite
Jul 11, 2008
UK
I've had one since December 06. Used to play the fudge out of it, but it's gotten boring. I mainly use it now as a Memory Stick Pro reader.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 0]I've bought 10. I only have two right now.[/quote]

God I think I am right there with you bro. But I have zero now. :(

I am looking to get another silver slim though. The PSP 3000 sucks.

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="Lethal_NFS, post: 0]God I think I am right there with you bro. But I have zero now. :(

I am looking to get another silver slim though. The PSP 3000 sucks.[/quote]

BAH !!!! I just sold a freakin' silver slim !

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 0]BAH !!!! I just sold a freakin' silver slim ![/quote]

If you have any other slims let me know. I will give you some PS3 games for it lol

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
lol! I only have my piano black slim left, along with my launch fatty. You can still gibs the PS3 gamez though. WTF are we typing for, calling you now punk.

A-SIN

Dedicated Member
Dec 2, 2007
Thats approx. 30 million more units than # of PS3 sold to date. Good job Sony now bring some more sick updates!

The PSP is a great hardware. As much as what certain "fanboys" may want to say, 50 million is not shabby at all, and this is at a higher price point than its competitor's product.

The UMD tie-ins are crap, though... 200 million UMD's shipped is 4 per PSP... Man, there's so much piracy on the PSP. As much as I love my home brew on my PSP, I really hope for OUR sake that Sony fixes the piracy issue with PSP2 so that it'll have more developer support!

This little device probably saved me hundreds of dollars over the years as I didn't need to replace my MP3 when it reached its end of life usefulness-wise (it's only got a 256MB of storage) or get some sort of mobile video player since the PSP does both :). Not to mention, it's provided me with hundreds of hours of good fun!

Carl

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 26, 2006
That's an awesome mile-mark for Sony. I'm sure they didn't expect to sell such an amount of systems in a market that has been nominated by Nintendo for such a long time.

Now if only they could sell some games for the damn thing...

I'm sure Sony has learned a lot of valuable lessons from the PSP though, and it will be interesting to see what they do with the PSP2, when the time comes.