59 killed, 527 hurt in Las Vegas Strip massacre

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
Such a heinous act. Attacking people while they are enjoying the better things in life away. So sad for everyone involved and their families.

MacP

Veteran
Jun 27, 2008
I found this out on the news this morning apparently the attackers Dad was on the FBI's most wanted list.

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
He must have had a ton of guns and bullets. From the video you can hear him emptying magazines way too fast. No controlled burst shots, but full auto. Really messed up people.

Edit:
Though that raises the question.
How do you go from a wealthy retired accountant that likes cruises and gambling, to a full blown psycho with 40+ guns, explosives and thousands of rounds that wages war with his neighbour and their children?

Last edited:

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6533219]Kinder eggs = banned
Guns = OK[/QUOTE]

The guns he used are not legal here. Doesnt change the situation but its not like he could just walk into a gun store and buy them. He would have had to procure them illegally. Unless he had a license which as far as i know he didnt have. Could be wrong. They were fully automatic, the ones typically used in these heinous crimes are usually semi auto.

Last edited:

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
From what I understand change in gun laws in the US will be slow, though shootings like this will surely hasten things. If it was easy it would be already done but it is a very complicated matter to say the least. Gun ownership is legally and practically a right. Plus US is a humongous country with something like 220 million people and laws vary from state to state to make things even more complicated.

[QUOTE="PS4freak, post: 6533222]The guns he used are not legal here. Doesnt change the situation but its not like he could just walk into a gun store and buy them. He would have had to procure them illegally. Unless he had a license which as far as i know he didnt have. Could be wrong. They were fully automatic, the ones typically used in these heinous crimes are usually semi auto.[/QUOTE]

But aren’t they legal? I’m no expert in America’s 2A rights but the shooting happened in Nevada were guns and rifles can be bought in dozens and bullets per kilo. No need for licence or to register.

Why would he buy illegal guns when he can just walk into a shop and buy whatever he needs, no questions asked?
From what I understood he converted them to automatic by installing a bump stock which is a legal aftermarket mod?

Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong! :)

Last edited:

PBM

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
[QUOTE="MjW, post: 6533400]From what I understand change in gun laws in the US will be slow, though shootings like this will surely hasten things. If it was easy it would be already done but it is a very complicated matter to say the least. Gun ownership is legally and practically a right. Plus US is a humongous country with something like 220 million people and laws vary from state to state to make things even more complicated.

But aren’t they legal? I’m no expert in America’s 2A rights but the shooting happened in Nevada were guns and rifles can be bought in dozens and bullets per kilo. No need for licence or to register.

Why would he buy illegal guns when he can just walk into a shop and buy whatever he needs, no questions asked?
From what I understood he converted them to automatic by installing a bump stock which is a legal aftermarket mod?

Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong! :)[/QUOTE]
You don't need a license, but you can't just waltz into any store and buy a gun. Thorough background checks are done on anyone buying a gun. This shooter had no history of violence or a criminal record and didn't appear to be shady in any way. He seemed like a regular guy. That's what makes this situation so scary. Bump stocks shouldn't be legal though ... and I hear they're going to be banning them.

[QUOTE="Surebrec, post: 6533223]you lot are too far gone. you'll kill every last one of yourselves before any change for the better is made.[/QUOTE]
You're silly. There are millions and millions of guns here and trillions of ammo and people aren't all out shooting each other. That's just not how it works, sorry. Incidents like these are horribly tragic, but removing guns from good people isn't going to stop bad people from obtaining them on the black market. All it serves to do is prevent good people from being able to defend themselves. The right to bear arms has been an an American right for almost 3 centuries, so I honestly couldn't care less what other people think of our rights.

Last edited:

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
What about not allowing a person to own a gun if their parent has a history of being psychopathic? I mean, maybe the right to bear arms should be more of a privilege, for those you're absolutely certain are of sound mind, anyway.

Last edited:

PBM

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
[QUOTE="Vyse, post: 6533408]What about not allowing a person to own a gun if their parent has a history of being psychopathic? I mean, maybe the right to bear arms should be more of a privilege, for those you're absolutely certain are of sound mind, anyway.[/QUOTE]
Just because your parent is nuts doesn't mean you will be. This guy had no history of anything ... criminally or psychologically. There was no way to tell that he was going to do this. So that argument really can't be applied here. Gun shops also have the right to refuse sales to someone that looks questionable. One of the guys they interviewed that sold him a gun said he looked like a normal guy. He didn't act strangely and he had no criminal record. Maybe a mental health exam before buying a gun could be added to the process? That could possibly help identify red flags, perhaps.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="Brandon, post: 6533413]Maybe a mental health exam before buying a gun could be added to the process? That could possibly help identify red flags, perhaps.[/QUOTE]
That's what I was getting at, yeah.

MacP

Veteran
Jun 27, 2008
It does not really matter about laws restricting the sale of firearms the person in question would be able to get a gun from else where anyway

Ezekiel

Forum Sage
Apr 29, 2006
All the laws are already in place to restrict the sale of certain classifications of firearms. The issue isn't gun laws. It's enforcement. And quite honestly, I think we have too many on the books as it is. The problem will always be with the person using the firearm and their mental capacity as well as their motive behind said purchase of said firearm. Placing the blame of people being killed - however unnecessarily - on the firearm instead of on the person behind said firearm will not change a thing. The firearm isn't responsible. It's just a tool. The responsibility lies solely with the person behind the firearm.

And one aspect of the 2nd Amendment that those on the left and some on the right continually ignore or forget about is the part that says, "shall not be infringed". We've already tried the laws that infringe on one's ability to purchase and/or carry firearms. How about we eliminate those restrictions and allow the law-abiding citizen to exercise their full rights? Let them carry whether it be openly or concealed without the need for licenses and being taxed out the wazoo. Lift the restrictions on where they can carry so they can defend themselves and others accordingly.

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
[QUOTE="Vyse, post: 6533408]I mean, maybe the right to bear arms should be more of a privilege, for those you're absolutely certain are of sound mind, anyway.[/QUOTE]
My opinion exactly about it being a privilege and not a right. Like a car licence where you get your health checked. That would mean a mental health exam every couple of years for as long as you have a gun or 10, to ensure you are still fit. Like in Europe where after 80 we have to pass health tests in order to keep your driver’s licence.
Then someone let me know that in his state he had to go to his grandma and take her car keys away because she kept bumping into stuff and there is no control by the state if you are still safe to drive no matter how old you are.

[QUOTE="Brandon, post: 6533413]Maybe a mental health exam before buying a gun could be added to the process? That could possibly help identify red flags, perhaps.[/QUOTE]
Sounds logical to me. Though it did not fly well with 2-3 people when I suggested it. I heard comments like, “watch lists might work in Sweden but not the US” and “first health checks and registers, next thing you know the lefties ban wet nitrate”. I gave up shortly after.

billm0066

Elite Member
Oct 30, 2006
[QUOTE="MjW, post: 6533446]My opinion exactly about it being a privilege and not a right. Like a car licence where you get your health checked. That would mean a mental health exam every couple of years for as long as you have a gun or 10, to ensure you are still fit. Like in Europe where after 80 we have to pass health tests in order to keep your driver’s licence.
Then someone let me know that in his state he had to go to his grandma and take her car keys away because she kept bumping into stuff and there is no control by the state if you are still safe to drive no matter how old you are.

Sounds logical to me. Though it did not fly well with 2-3 people when I suggested it. I heard comments like, “watch lists might work in Sweden but not the US” and “first health checks and registers, next thing you know the lefties ban wet nitrate”. I gave up shortly after.[/QUOTE]

There isn't a single law that would have stopped the guy. If he couldn't buy the guns they can be acquired by other means. Or he would make bombs with pressure cookers and drive a truck through a crowd of people.

Bump stocks should not be made illegal. You can do the same thing as a bump stock with a shoe lace or a belt loop. Will those be banned? Or if someone really wanted to they can make their guns full auto. Google a "lightning link" and see what a small piece of metal can do to certain ar-15's. One guy does something horrible so all owners of bump stocks should pay for it? Why haven't knives, bats, trucks, pressure cookers, and the millions of other things people kill people with made illegal? 99.99999% of bump stock owners use them in a legal manner. Look how many people die a year from legally prescribed prescription drugs. Those numbers are staggering.