60Gb and 80Gb What Is the Difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogg2k78

Dedicated Member
Nov 20, 2006
Well As alot know there are people out there that have the 60gb launch Ps3 and cannot play GTA4. Well I have the 2 year warantee on my launch Ps3 and I was thinking about going into best buy and exchange the Ps3 to an 80Gb.

Is there anything different in the 2 systems. IF there is no difference then I will go in and exchange the PS3?

Any help would help guys thank!!!!

gujupmp88

Apprentice
Apr 9, 2007
the 60 gig has more compatibility with ps2 games because the 60 gig uses hardware to play the ps2 games, while the 80 gig uses software emulation. 80 gig supports a lot of ps2 games, but not all. also, the 80 gig obviously has a bigger hd.

S

saso_7

[QUOTE="gujupmp88, post: 0]the 60 gig has more compatibility with ps2 games because the 60 gig uses hardware to play the ps2 games, while the 80 gig uses software emulation. 80 gig supports a lot of ps2 games, but not all. also, the 80 gig obviously has a bigger hd.[/QUOTE]

what he said, 80GB model lacks emotion engine chip (ps2 CPU) which the 60GB model has....no need for a thread really, this topic has been discussed to the ground should've done a search buddy

Feb 13, 2008
[QUOTE="gujupmp88, post: 0]the 60 gig has more compatibility with ps2 games because the 60 gig uses hardware to play the ps2 games, while the 80 gig uses software emulation. 80 gig supports a lot of ps2 games, but not all. also, the 80 gig obviously has a bigger hd.[/quote]

Exactly, The 80Gb has a emulation drive while the 60Gb has a emotion drive. The best specs will be at the playstation.com site under specification. they give you everything, from hieght, width, drives etc...

aayman_farzand

Superior Member
Mar 19, 2008
well only the laucng consoles have been ahving problems with gta. apprantly there r more differences than we kno. Sony plans to make a firmware JUST for the launch consoles, if u can't wait till then, then get the 80gb. u shouldnt worry abt ps2 titles with the 80gb as it will play all popular games just fine, and more will b added with further firmware updates

Mainspring

Dedicated Member
Aug 13, 2007
not true that "only" the 60gb had problems with GTA IV.

Seems to have affected all systems, even the newer 40gb. (check around the net)

I don't think it was the hardware.

Also, I read somewhere(forgot where) that 60gb has a separate chips for wifi and bluetooth where as 40 and 80 gb versions are all in one type.

biohazrd

Apprentice
Jun 5, 2006
i have a 20 gig launch unit, no problems at all here... at all... for any game... at all (except it froze a bit during assasins creed)... other then that.. no problems at all

Alpha2

Elite Guru
Mar 3, 2007
I have a launch 60gb and it plays GTA4 just fine. The problem was with being logged in to the PSN when playing the game and they released a patch to help with that issue last week.

XLR8TOR

You Big Dummy!
Jul 25, 2007
PSTripleville
[QUOTE="Alpha2, post: 0]I have a launch 60gb and it plays GTA4 just fine. The problem was with being logged in to the PSN when playing the game and they released a patch to help with that issue last week.[/quote]

Agree 100% I had issues before the patch... now it's gold!

dogg2k78

Dedicated Member
Nov 20, 2006
It sucks fellas but even with the last patch no matter where i play online or offline it still does not work it sucks!!!! I gues I might wait it out till I get the patch to make this game work. I am feening to play this game!!!!

aayman_farzand

Superior Member
Mar 19, 2008
[QUOTE="dogg2k78, post: 0]It sucks fellas but even with the last patch no matter where i play online or offline it still does not work it sucks!!!! I gues I might wait it out till I get the patch to make this game work. I am feening to play this game!!!![/QUOTE]

the new firmware update didnt help at all? try setting ur Internet Connection to Disable, then play offline

dogg2k78

Dedicated Member
Nov 20, 2006
[QUOTE="aayman_farzand, post: 0]the new firmware update didnt help at all? try setting ur Internet Connection to Disable, then play offline[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the idea but also does not work. It sucks!!!! Does Best buy even sell the 80gb anymore?

Jan 13, 2007
Dogg, disable the internet, disable the information board, disable themes, delete the game data save, reboot under these conditions and reinstall.. If that does not work I would maybe trade in my PS3 for a new one because you should be able to play this game.. Or maybe I wasnt aware people were still having probs with this..

aayman_farzand

Superior Member
Mar 19, 2008
[QUOTE="dogg2k78, post: 0]Thanks for the idea but also does not work. It sucks!!!! Does Best buy even sell the 80gb anymore?[/QUOTE]

maybe deleting the game data and keeping the internet disabled will make it work, try it out and upgrade to 2.35 before u do that. And atm, 80gb's r not being sold, the next ones to come out will be the mgs4 bundle. only the 40gb r being sold atm

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
[QUOTE="dogg2k78, post: 0]It sucks fellas but even with the last patch no matter where i play online or offline it still does not work it sucks!!!! I gues I might wait it out till I get the patch to make this game work. I am feening to play this game!!!![/QUOTE]

I don't know if you should expect a patch soon since Sony is offering replacements for PS3's affected by GTA:IV. The had this to say in their official blog the other day:

I just want to clarify that this upcoming firmware update isn’t related to GTA IV. For those of you who may still have an issue playing the game on your PS3, we have identified a solution that should resolve the issue. You can contact SCEA Consumer Services for support — their contact info and hours of service, as well as more information on this issue, are available in our Knowledge Center (http://playstation.custhelp.com/).
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/05/14/firmware-v235-coming-soon/#comments

So if you're having problems still... contact them since they'll obviously be more of help than me, but I've gotten most of this info from people at the official PS forum that have already gone through it. Here's the number for the US. 1-800-345-SONY

I have a thread about the thing here:
http://ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=139582

Status
Not open for further replies.